The Rebooted "Keep Hope Alive" (that the rights can revert back to Marvel) Thread - - - - - - - Part 16

Discussion in 'Marvel Films' started by Thread Manager, Jan 20, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DyfeddRex

DyfeddRex Well-Known Member

Sorry, did the what if without saying I was putting on my toga and skin-skull cap.

2. Dasher10

Dasher10 I'm like Deadpool IRL

When the X-Men rights revert, I hope they do an Alpha Flight trilogy. The villains would be Master Of The World, Wyre and then finally... baby seals.

3. DawnWarrior

DawnWarrior Questioner of Authority

As I've said for years, Alpha Flight deserves their own TV show. All the great Sci-Fi shows shoot in Canada anyway.

4. Willie Lumpkin

Willie Lumpkin Trophy Husband

5. Big Bang

Big Bang Well-Known Member

Skepticism growing inside Time Warner about wisdom to continue seeking full tie up with AT&T, and that some inside of the company are seeing greater potential ROI if they breakup and auction off certain properties.

One such idea is to spin off Turner Broadcasting, sell a majority stake to AT&T, and IPO the remaining %. (This would be akin to buying NewFox), then proceed to take bids on the remaining assets.

https://www.vanityfair.com/news/201...-a-growing-chorus-of-atandt-merger-skepticism

6. Marvel united

Marvel united Omega level Mutant

Wow, this is playing out exactly as you predicted

7. Willie Lumpkin

So if they break it up, is Comcast expected to pick up some of the pieces, and if so, would that lessen their interest in Fox components?

8. Zarex

Zarex Well-Known Member

It wouldn't be the worst thing for Disney/Marvel if Comcast picked up the DC rights.

9. Willie Lumpkin

I wonder if, in that case, Universal Studios would replace their Marvel area with DC. They could probably retheme most of the rides pretty easily.

That might be good for DC also. Maybe Universal could figure out how to make better films.

10. Detective Conan

Detective Conan Well-Known Member

It wouldn't be the worst thing for DC/Warners to get picked up by Comcast since right now they're floundering and could use some serious shake-up. I have zero hope for the future of DC-on-film after the Justice League debacle. I hope they split DC comics from Warners(it'll never happen but a guy can dream).

11. ADollarADay

ADollarADay Well-Known Member

One day someone will do a case study on Sony about how NOT to run a business. They were one of my favorite companies in the 90s, but a whole bunch of bonehead decisions, including proprietary crap on memory cards and personal players post discman led them to where they were a 5 years ago. PS3 was a goddamn disaster that wiped ALL the money Sony made from PS1 AND PS2 combined. Remember AIBO? That was something way ahead of its time and vintage Sony. Luckily they are back to form with PS4. They need to divest Sony Pictures (SPE TV is highly profitable so they can fetch a good price. I believe 10B+ is very conservative). They would be better served using that money ensuring Playstation is the gaming brand for years to come by purchasing something like Capcom and/or Square Enix.

Regarding ATT, if they were to get the clear and fully acquire TWX, I get the growing feeling that we could be seeing AOL Time Warner part deux. Maybe not to the disaster that one was but close enough. And then we have a firesale of assets 5-10 years from now. I could see that.

Would you if you were Brian Roberts? Give up a very, very profitable IP to your biggest competitor in one of the biggest tourist areas in the world for free? When you pay peanuts to keep for what is, by de facto, perpetuity? I wouldn't.

Universal is also supposed to open a 3rd gate. It markets itself too,

"Universal Orlando:

The only place in the world where Avengers, Batman, Superman, Ironman, Spiderman, Hulk, Wonder Woman, X-Men, Fantastic Four, etc play together".

Easy sale.

12. Zarex

Zarex Well-Known Member

I would be open to a deal, especially if I had a solid replacement in house. Marvel Super Hero Island was extremely outdated when I visited about a decade ago, with 90s versions of Marvel characters on display. And the nature of the contract has prevented necessary updates to attractions sitting on a very valuable chunk of real estate. 20 year old attractions aren't an easy sale regardless of how well movies based on the characters are performing at the BO.

13. random_havoc

random_havoc The Golden Guardian

I suspect Disney's lawyers would find someway to fight having their characters showcased next to their biggest competitors like that

14. Willie Lumpkin

Yes. Absolutely. Because I would want to sell and promote MY characters, not my competitor’s.

I would want people to be riding the Superman ride. I’d want them taking photos with Batman and Flash. I’d want them ordering the Aquaman fish sandwich and I’d want them drinking from a Green-Lantern cup while wearing the Wonder Woman T-Shirt they just bought.

When it comes to real competition, it’s about making the most out if the product you’re selling, not just trying to hold your competitor back. If Comcast/Universal is unwilling and/or unable to take it directly to Marvel and compete head-to-head, they shouldn’t even consider buying DC (and naybe they’re not for that reason). But while I’m a Marvel fan, I believe the DC characters have the ability to compete directly with Marvel in the right hands with the right strategy - and part of that strategy is a broad, multi-genre promotional approach and not being afraid to compete directly with Marvel.

15. Big Bang

Big Bang Well-Known Member

It would potentially open a lot of doors. Namely the potential return of any and all rights held by Universal of Marvel properties.

Lessen. There is enough within the TWX mix to compliment their business the same way Fox would, and be possibly less expensive in they would not have engage an adversary the size of Disney in a bidding war. (not for the entirety of TWX)

At this juncture, anything is possible. Whether or not it is probable is fluid at the moment. I doubt Warner and DC will be broken up, but there are few other entities who would leverage DC as completely as Comcast could.

OMG, AIBO! I remember thinking to myself, "WTF is Sony doing?!?!" when it came to that thing. They had gotten too big for their own good and felt like they could do no wrong. Same thing in the game market. Their success with PS1+PS2 had allowed them to become so arrogant, so that when the PS3 came around they felt like they could push the envelope so far and the consumers would follow. They left the door open completely for Microsoft and Nintendo to come in.

If it came to Comcast trying to get DC (and all rights wherein), it would pay dividends to keep Disney out of trying to meddle and entangle them in the same web that AT&T finds itself. If the AT&T case is going to be any indicator, we may be entering a phase where companies are going to have to shed some level of assets or make concessions in order for them to get what they are seeking. So in the vein of if Comcast pursued DC, relinquishing the Orlando Marvel theme park rights back to Disney would be demonstrative of good faith, and pro-competition on their part. The DOJ would have little to no grounds to oppose it in regulatory review. However, if the opportunity were to come up I believe Comcast would be going for all of Warner Bros. in much the same way Disney is tackling Fox for a variety of reasons. Such as their stable of properties (Looney Tunes, Harry Potter film rights, Hanna-Barbera, etc.)

16. ADollarADay

ADollarADay Well-Known Member

It's more about keeping away from your biggest competitor as opposed to doing much with it. With the added benefit of getting a great market like that. It also gets a high volume of people to the Hulk and Spidey area.

What would you sell it for?

They would be laughed out of court and be ordered to pay Comcast for their time if the contract we have seen is the latest version sans the list of approved character.

Sometimes keeping it away from your biggest competitor is the best thing you can, especially when the deal you have in place is so, so favorable to you. Comcast still makes a healthy amount of money off Marvel merchandise sold at their parks. They still make money off dining with Marvel characters. Sure I would promote my characters more, but I would keep this profitable venture going.

I'm saying this with a business mind, not as a fan. It would take a hell of a lot to get me to give that up. Disney would effectively be paying for my 3rd USR Orlando to open. Or giving me a piece of Sky. Or overpaying for my 30% of Hulu and Hulk distribution. Or a combo of the above.

Like I asked Zarex, what would it take for you to get rid of it? As a businessman, not a fan.

That's the only way I could see CMCSA giving up the Marvel theme park rights easily. However, the DOJ would have no case here. Zero. Even a worst case than they have with the ATT/TWX merger as not even their speculation can get them to try to block this.

17. Detective Conan

Breaking News: X-Men: Dark Phoenix delayed to February 14th 2019!!

And apparently New Mutants is getting pushed again. It's now going to come out on August 2nd(no longer on it's initial push-back date of February 22nd) long after the Disney/Fox deal is finalized(if it goes through). Will New Mutants even hit theaters?
    What?! Did Fox f**k up again? Guys?!

WHAT'S GOING ON?!

Last edited: Mar 27, 2018
  18. Marvel united

19. Kuwolski

Kuwolski g r u n t - m a n

Hopefully nothing involving the MCU.

20. Detective Conan

Something about this is really rather fishy. Could this be Disney's doing? It can't be. Disney won't have any control of Fox until the deal is finalized. Is this a red flag that Dark Phoenix is going to suck? (let's all face it most us already assumed the film was going to be rather lackluster) but there really haven't been any negative rumblings about Dark Phoenix like there had been for Fan4stic, and surprisingly it's been testing well.

This is very odd. Let the speculation games begin!

Last edited: Mar 27, 2018
  21. Kuwolski

Kuwolski g r u n t - m a n

Correct.

Very odd, but very Fox lately.

22. Marvel united

The acquisition could close as early as this December...

23. Detective Conan

The acquisition needs to hurry up so we can all be saved from Fox. These delays are worrying. Of course, the cloud of Comcast looms large over the deal....

24. Marvel united

Comcast seems desperate.

25. ImSGirl95

ImSGirl95 Doreen Green

The August 2019 date doesn't make sense. The deal will happen by then, and I expect the movie to head to the Disney streeaming service as an exclusive.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.