The Rebooted "Keep Hope Alive" (that the rights can revert back to Marvel) Thread - - - - - - - Part 16

Status
Not open for further replies.
Breaking News: X-Men: Dark Phoenix delayed to February 14th 2019!!

And apparently New Mutants is getting pushed again. It's now going to come out on August 2nd(no longer on it's initial push-back date of February 22nd) long after the Disney/Fox deal is finalized(if it goes through). Will New Mutants even hit theaters?
What?! Did Fox f**k up again? Guys?!

WHAT'S GOING ON?!

What's going on? Fox is clueless. They don't know how to make superhero movies, and they don't know how to hire the right directors. They probably have a couple more potential Fant4stics on their hands and they're trying to avoid that.

Simon Freakin' Kinberg is what's going on.

Breaking News: X-Men: Dark Phoenix delayed to February 14th 2019!!

And apparently New Mutants is getting pushed again. It's now going to come out on August 2nd(no longer on it's initial push-back date of February 22nd) long after the Disney/Fox deal is finalized(if it goes through). Will New Mutants even hit theaters?
What?! Did Fox f**k up again? Guys?!

WHAT'S GOING ON?!

New Mutants may end up being a straight to dvd dump at this point. Bad look to delay a movie nearly 2 years after it was shot. X-Men: Dark Phoenix I imagine will end up making its release date this time. Wonder why the delay?

Rob Bowman
Tim Story
Mark Steven Johnson
Brett Ratner
Gavin Hood
Josh Trank

Fox thought it was a good idea to hire all these directors to make Marvel films at one time. They've only found four directors to make Marvel films who have shown themselves to be competent. And when they luck out with a director like Singer or Mangold, they give them multiple films, so it looks like their record at figuring things out is better than it really is.

So basically, with an unproven director, it's more likely than not that Fox will make a bad Marvel film, and going into 2018, all three directors were unproven (though I would argue that Kinberg is proven, through Fant4stic to be awful).

It's quite possible that all three upcoming films are complete stinkers. Sure, we're hearing that Deadpool is testing well, but even that makes me suspicious because that seems like a case of them trying too hard - which wouldn't be necessary if the film is really testing well.

Unfortunately, this could all be bad news for us. If these films are stinking, Fox might get desperate and fast-track a Doom or Silver Surfer film and crap that up as bad as they're crapping up X-Men.

And I don't think Marvel is pulling any strings behind the scenes. I think Marvel would like to get these films out and forgotten sooner rather than later. I don't think Marvel will throw away millions by s***-canning them, so these films are likely going to darken our door before Marvel can start over.

The one possible bright spot I see is it could make Fox management nervous as they start to finally realize how clueless they really are. If they're smart enough to recognize that, they could pump the brakes on all future Marvel projects.

... but I'm afraid Fox is stupid enough to just keep charging blindly ahead.:csad:

Another variable in this is Fox's interest in maximizing the value of their studio asset. For potential bidders like Comcast, the value of the that asset is higher if the Marvel properties are thought to be strong.

Better to have Comcast and others suspect the films could be in trouble than to actually release the films and remove all doubt.

I want the Disney/Fox merger to go through, if for no other reason than the fact it will ensure Simon Kinburg never touches X-Men again.

Stick with Star Wars cartoons, guy.

New Mutants may end up being a straight to dvd dump at this point. Bad look to delay a movie nearly 2 years after it was shot. X-Men: Dark Phoenix I imagine will end up making its release date this time. Wonder why the delay?

That'd be for the best imo

It's more about keeping away from your biggest competitor as opposed to doing much with it. With the added benefit of getting a great market like that. It also gets a high volume of people to the Hulk and Spidey area.

What would you sell it for?

Well, if we're keeping it strictly on a cash basis and not including any properties of joint interest (Hulk & Namor distribution rights, Dreamwork Animation distribution rights currently held by FOX, Simpsons theme park rights, Hulu, Sky, etc.) I would agree to $500M and a 5 year non-compete arrangement in which no additional Marvel themed attractions could be added to the Disney parks east of the Mississippi. That would give Comcast the resources to do a complete re-theme (Syfy Island? DC Superhero Island?), add at least one E ticket attraction and time to keep potential guests at Universal before Disney opens another major land.

Well, if we're keeping it strictly on a cash basis and not including any properties of joint interest (Hulk & Namor distribution rights, Dreamwork Animation distribution rights currently held by FOX, Simpsons theme park rights, Hulu, Sky, etc.) I would agree to $500M and a 5 year non-compete arrangement in which no additional Marvel themed attractions could be added to the Disney parks east of the Mississippi. That would give Comcast the resources to do a complete re-theme (Syfy Island? DC Superhero Island?), add at least one E ticket attraction and time to keep potential guests at Universal before Disney opens another major land.

If I were Disney, I wouldn't even consider signining a deal like that. They're already working on things like this: https://disneyparks.disney.go.com/blog/2018/02/d23j-update-guardians-of-the-galaxy-at-epcot/

And will probably be working on Black Panther, Captain Marvel etc. attractions soon enough.

Universal isn't a problem. All they're doing is promoting Marvel characters a few miles away so that Orlando is basically all Marvel all the time.

If I were Marvel, I'd let them continue promoting Marvel characters as long as they want.

Legion is worth keeping imo. Gifted not as much.

Could it be due to the impending approval of the Fox deal? Maybe Disney made some requests to Fox and Fox consented to those requests.

We need Disney/Marvel to pull through and get those rights!

I think it would be legal/possible for Fox to reach out to Marvel - "Hey, we're having some trouble getting these films to work. As owners of the characters, can you help us fix some things and make them fit the original characters better and potentially integrate them into your MCU?"

I think that might be possible from a legal point of view, but I also think it's unlikely.

I think the most likely thing is this is Fox being Fox and Kinberg being Kinberg and Dark Phoenix probably really, really sucks.

That's what I assumed would happen from the day Kinberg was rumored to be involved.

l10.gif

Ehh... I'd rather the Singer versions of Scott, Jean and Storm not be integrated into the MCU

Has anybody from Fox commented at all? I wouldn't expect the truth at all, but any comment could give a clue regarding what's going on.

Dark Phoenix(if it’s not delayed any further) will be released a month before Captain Marvel which also has Skrulls and is also set in the 90’s.

If the Disney deal goes through smoothly without delay then presumably by that point Fox will be under the control of the Mouse so will Feige allow Dark Phoenix to be released, and be the first cinematic debut of the Skrulls instead of Captain Marvel? Or would they scrap the film altogether and dump on the Disney Streaming service? I think Dark Phoenix will indeed get a theatrical release but New Mutants is the one to worry about in terms of it ever seeing the light of day in theaters.

Dark Phoenix(if it’s not delayed any further) will be released a month before Captain Marvel which also has Skrulls and is also set in the 90’s.

If the Disney deal goes through smoothly without delay then presumably by that point Fox will be under the control of the Mouse so will Feige allow Dark Phoenix to be released, and be the first cinematic debut of the Skrulls instead of Captain Marvel? Or would they scrap the film altogether and dump on the Disney Streaming service? I think Dark Phoenix will indeed get a theatrical release but New Mutants is the one to worry about in terms of it ever seeing the light of day in theaters.

Why did Kimberg put Skrulls in the Dark Phoenix movie? It makes no sense. If Disney got the Fox deal before then I expect Disney to move Dark Phoenix to a later date, or put it in the streaming service.

Why did Kimberg put Skrulls in the Dark Phoenix movie? It makes no sense. If Disney got the Fox deal before then I expect Disney to move Dark Phoenix to a later date, or put it in the streaming service.

If I had to bet, I think the delay may actually be to remove them and change them to something else.

The problem for Feige is, as much as that might bug him from a creative point of view, this will be a money-driven decision.

Even a complete failure like Fant4stic made $170 million at the box office.

With the X-Men connection, New Mutants is probably guaranteed to make roughly $100 million minimum and Dark Phoenix is probably guaranteed to make roughly $200 million, so that's roughly $50 million plus $100 million in Disney's pockets that they're not going to throw away.

... unless the films are so dismally bad even Fox is reluctant to spend the marketing money necessary to release them - unlikely but possible.

Most likely Fox is busy right now trying to polish their turds to make something just good enough to release and make a portion of their investment back - like they did with Fant4stic.

It sucks that Jessica Chastain signed on to star in that movie. I wish Marvel Studios would have picked her up for something. I suppose it could still happen after Dark Phoenix is long forgotten (which shouldn't take long) but it just feels like a waste of good talent. But then, she doesn't always pick good franchise to be a part of (Huntsman series).

It sucks that Jessica Chastain signed on to star in that movie. I wish Marvel Studios would have picked her up for something. I suppose it could still happen after Dark Phoenix is long forgotten (which shouldn't take long) but it just feels like a waste of good talent. But then, she doesn't always pick good franchise to be a part of (Huntsman series).

Chris Evans, Michael B. Jordan and Peter Dinklage have all made the switch - plus probably a few others that I can't think of at the moment.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jeremija
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"