The Rebooted "Keep Hope Alive" (that the rights can revert back to Marvel) Thread - - - - - - - - Part 17

Status
Not open for further replies.
In December, The Walt Disney Company officially announced their plans to acquire 21st Century Fox's film and television studios and while at the time, it was widely reported that the deal would likely close within 12-18 months, with some remaining cautiously optimistic about it closing before the end of 2018, it now looks like regulators may need the full eighteen-month window before they can approve the merger of two of Hollywood's most storied production studios.

With The Disney/Fox Merger Not Expected To Pass Regulations For 12-18 Months, Here's What To Expect

While speaking at the first of two town hall meetings at the Fox lot earlier today, 21st Century Fox president Peter Rice, in an effort to ease their nerves of his staffers, provided some much-needed updates regarding the coming Disney acquisition.

Even though there was initially some optimism about the deal getting approved before the end of this calendar year, Rice told employees today that the acquisition is more likely to be completed before the end of summer 2019 at the latest, which essentially falls in line with the initial conservative 18-month projection.

OFFICIAL: The X-MEN & FANTASTIC FOUR Are Coming Home As Walt Disney Announces Acquisition Of 20th Century Fox

As far as the X-Men and Fantastic Four go, these new details would seemingly suggest that neither Marvel property will be joining the Marvel Cinematic Universe before 2020/2021, at the earliest, since Marvel Studios is unable to touch any of the characters while the deal is under review. It also helps explains why the currently business-as-usual Fox has been increasingly patient with the development of their upcoming X-Men films, even delaying their two hotly-awaited 2018 releases, X-Men: Dark Phoenix and The New Mutants, to prime dates next year.

With the new timeline, it's not unfathomable to think that we might actually see get to see a combination of the following spinoff films: X-Force, X-23, Kitty Pryde, Gambit, and/or Doctor Doom, go into production long before these characters meet Spider-Man and The Avengers.

Wouldn't FOX have to start shooting X-Force AND Gambit AND Kitty Pryde AND Doctor Doom THIS YEAR to get them all out before the deal is finalized?

In December, The Walt Disney Company officially announced their plans to acquire 21st Century Fox's film and television studios and while at the time, it was widely reported that the deal would likely close within 12-18 months, with some remaining cautiously optimistic about it closing before the end of 2018, it now looks like regulators may need the full eighteen-month window before they can approve the merger of two of Hollywood's most storied production studios.

With The Disney/Fox Merger Not Expected To Pass Regulations For 12-18 Months, Here's What To Expect

While speaking at the first of two town hall meetings at the Fox lot earlier today, 21st Century Fox president Peter Rice, in an effort to ease their nerves of his staffers, provided some much-needed updates regarding the coming Disney acquisition.

Even though there was initially some optimism about the deal getting approved before the end of this calendar year, Rice told employees today that the acquisition is more likely to be completed before the end of summer 2019 at the latest, which essentially falls in line with the initial conservative 18-month projection.

OFFICIAL: The X-MEN & FANTASTIC FOUR Are Coming Home As Walt Disney Announces Acquisition Of 20th Century Fox

As far as the X-Men and Fantastic Four go, these new details would seemingly suggest that neither Marvel property will be joining the Marvel Cinematic Universe before 2020/2021, at the earliest, since Marvel Studios is unable to touch any of the characters while the deal is under review. It also helps explains why the currently business-as-usual Fox has been increasingly patient with the development of their upcoming X-Men films, even delaying their two hotly-awaited 2018 releases, X-Men: Dark Phoenix and The New Mutants, to prime dates next year.

With the new timeline, it's not unfathomable to think that we might actually see get to see a combination of the following spinoff films: X-Force, X-23, Kitty Pryde, Gambit, and/or Doctor Doom, go into production long before these characters meet Spider-Man and The Avengers.

Clickbait from CBM. The timeline for the deal closing was originally announced as "12-18 months". According to Rice the closing will take place "by Summer 2019 at the latest". I may not know the crazy new ciphering the youngins are doing nowadays. But there's been no change in the timeline.

Last edited:
Wouldn't FOX have to start shooting X-Force AND Gambit AND Kitty Pryde AND Doctor Doom THIS YEAR to get them all out before the deal is finalized?

That interpretation of this 'news' is absolutely ridiculous.

First off, this is a comment from the Fox President to his employees. His primary goal is to keep these people focused. When it's Friday afternoon, very little gets done because everybody's watching the clock. In the case of Fox, he has to tell his people basically "stop thinking about what happens when this deal goes through and focus on your day-to-day tasks"

Yeah, it could be another year. We all know that. If it is another year (and he specifically says "at the latest"), New Mutants still won't be out yet.

There are likely to be a couple other movies in the pipeline - with scripts, some pre-production etc., but at most, it's unlikely there would be more than two films in real 'production'. And even then, what about Deadpool 3 and Dark Phoenix 2? Those should be included in the list of possibilities.

Last edited:
Clickbait from CBM. The timeline for the deal closing was originally announced as "12-18 months". According to Rice the closing will take place "by Summer 2019 at the latest". I may not know the crazy new ciphering the youngins are doing nowadays. But there's been no change in the timeline.

This is true. That deadline article is a non article.

Eh. Not to say he couldn't nail it but it would be so modulated it almost wouldn't matter who the voice it. Unless you get a voice so epic you didn't have to do that to it.

I really wish they would just shelve Kinberg's Dark Phoenix and spare us the pain.

New Mutants would be great as a Netflix release though.

I really wish they would just shelve Kinberg's Dark Phoenix and spare us the pain.

New Mutants would be great as a Netflix release though.

The only bright spot is that maybe Kinberg will finally be recognized as the complete hack he is. I don't understand how he continues to collect a paycheck.

The only bright spot is that maybe Kinberg will finally be recognized as the complete hack he is. I don't understand how he continues to collect a paycheck.

He could remake Ben Affleck's 2003 movie "Paycheck". Maybe even star in it himself. In this version, it is Kinberg who has his memory wiped after working on Dark Phoenix for years. Then goes to collect his paycheck. However, there's nothing there. He wonders why he has no actual funds and why he signed them away a few weeks before. All he finds is that he has left himself a number of clues in a padded envelope, some of which he believes will help him evade capture.

As he investigates further, it turns out there isn't a big conspiracy theory as he thought. Instead he discovers that he was actually just an idiot and blew all his money on still fixing the hotel destruction from Trank's dogs years earlier. Then wanting to forget, he had his memory wiped and left various clues from Fant4stic, Dark Phoenix and other films to remind him never to get back into the movie industry again. However, he misinterpreted the clues and thought they were actually going to lead him to Uma Thurman and find a fortune stashed under a bird cage.

They shot New Mutants, Dark Phoenix, and Deadpool 2 at the same time that lasted 4 months last year.

Anything is possible. lol

You have to factor in the reshoots for any new movie. Clocks ticking.

They still ARE shooting New Mutants and Dark Phoenix.

:funny: Yeah, and the apparent results there wouldn't necessarily embolden management to say: "You know what we need? We need to rush as many Marvel films into production as possible."

Take the deal out of the equation and Fox has to be wondering about and rethinking their Marvel film strategy.

If Fox management is working under a hypothetical in which the deal will never happen, they should be pumping the brakes and looking at doing more of a Marvel strategy - with a broad, patient, methodical plan. As opposed to their current plan which seems to be: "Throw a bunch of s*** at the wall and see what sticks."

That strategy leads to things like Fant4stic, New Mutants and Dark Phoenix.

If nothing else, Kinberg is a good 'company man' that knows how to work with studio notes but the question is can he deliver in his first ever directorial debut? Now there are screenwriters that have made the successful transition to directing before(Aaron Sorkin with Molly's Game, Dan Gilroy with Nightcrawler) but the difference with those examples is that their budgets were under a hundred million dollars - Dark Phoenix looks to cost a lot more(especially when you factor in the reshoots) than those debuts.

We've already have an example of someone worked on the first installments in a superhero franchise before as a screenwriter before taking their stab at the directing one themselves with David Goyer and Blade Trinity and the results shall we say...left a lot to be desired.

Can Kinberg pull it off? I can't say. There really haven't been a lot of negative rumors surrounding Dark Phoenix like there were with Fan4stic but the same could be said for Apocalypse, and that still ended up a disappointment.

Last edited:
Are there any big budget films on the FOX studio movie slate that is in production now besides Marvel related films?

Don't think Dark Phoenix will be a disaster like Fan4stic but it could possibly be very generic, without a voice or a style of its own, directed by a producer. Singer-lite maybe.

Can Kinberg pull it off? I can't say. There really haven't been a lot of negative rumors surrounding Dark Phoenix like there were with Fan4stic but the same could be said for Apocalypse, and that still ended up a disappointment.

I'm sure Kinberg isn't a complete mess like Trank was, so we're not getting those rumors, but there is an element of this that reminds me of Fant4stic and that's a lack of engagement with the fans.

If you think back to earlier X-Films, Deadpool and other films, there's some fun and communication with the fans. Singer, Ryan Reynolds and others tweet from the set excitedly about the things they're doing. The ones who do it right see themselves as a team with the fans. They're making a film for the fans and they can't wait to show fans what they're doing so they tease and give glimpses of what's going on.

Kinberg never had that connection during Fant4stic. He had a bunker mentality and when he did address fans it wasn't as a friend and 'team-mate'. He put himself above the fans and considered his version of FF as better than what the ignorant fans wanted. He had a thinly veiled contempt for the comics and anyone foolish enough to like them, and he talked down to fans in an attempt to tell them why his version was better.

While we've seen some carefully staged photos from the Dark Phoenix production (that almost look like they could have been left-overs from previous films), we're not getting the fun, geeky glimpses of things fans will love.

When Ron Howard took over the Han Solo film, he immediately demonstrated to fans that they had nothing to fear because he was one of them. The tweets and photos from set were fun and geeky and joyous. That's how someone makes a good film based on beloved characters.

Kinberg didn't have that ability during Fant4stic and doesn't seem to have it now. Besides his general lack of ability, that lack of love and respect and understanding of the characters and fans convinces me the film is doomed.

Don't think Dark Phoenix will be a disaster like Fan4stic but it could possibly be very generic, without a voice or a style of its own, directed by a producer. Singer-lite maybe.

Maybe not FF disaster but I expect a mediocre film similar to Apocalypse. I heard the words grounded and cosmic I knew it was probably going to be a cluster.....

Its just out of their element.

Maybe not FF disaster but I expect a mediocre film similar to Apocalypse. I heard the words grounded and cosmic I knew it was probably going to be a cluster.....
Grounded is like Kinberg's favorite word to describe a comic book film. I thought Fan4stic had taught him a lesson to embrace the comics but I guess not...

It's also very possible Fox is behind the approach because they don't want to spend too much on it so Kinberg has to dress it up as an artistic decision.

Are there any big budget films on the FOX studio movie slate that is in production now besides Marvel related films?

Avatar 2 (are they just distributors for that?), and I think there's a Kingsman 3 in the works, but other than that, I don't know if Fox has much to get people excited.

The last Alien and Planet of the Apes films seemed to be wearing out their welcome and neither did much to set up sequels.

Interest in selling the studio may have been driven partly by their lack of exciting films in the pipeline.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"