The Rebooted "Keep Hope Alive" (that the rights can revert back to Marvel) Thread - - - - - - - - - - - - Part 21

Discussion in 'Marvel Films' started by Thread Manager, Jul 17, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Thread Manager

Thread Manager Moderator

This is a continuation thread, the old thread is [split]543281[/split]

2. Thread Manager

Thread Manager Moderator

This is a continuation thread, the old thread is [split]542947[/split]

3. Willie Lumpkin

Willie Lumpkin Trophy Husband

Marvel Studios won't be there? Correct?

I'm thinking about going next year though. I'll have to see how things are going, but if Marvel will be there, it might be fun to see it live for once with at least the possibility something cool could be announced.

4. Willie Lumpkin

I think if Dark Phoenix is REALLY bad, like Fant4stic bad, Disney would be foolish to not at least consider shelving it. Even if Fox had spent $500 million, that's irrelevant, if it's a truly bad product, they shouldn't put it in theaters and spend money promoting it.

BUT, that's an extreme bar. There are very few films as bad as Fant4stic. It's in a whole unique class of bad.

...BUT, the primary creative force behind Fant4stic, the guy who was on set every day writing and making sure Trank did it right is the same guy who is making Dark Phoenix, so there's that.

5. Detective Conan

Detective Conan Well-Known Member

I want the announcement to be at the El Captain theater like how Phase 3 was announced in 2014. And they bring/reveal the actors who will play the Fantastic Four on stage like they did with Black Panther when they revealed Chadwick Boseman was going to be playing the character on stage. Granted, it’ll leak before by that point but man that would be cool.

Last edited: Jul 17, 2018
  6. Willie Lumpkin

Just for fun, here are some quotes from Simon Kinberg, Writer and Director of Dark Phoenix on his first big project, Fant4stic:

“The energy on set is great. Josh Trank is fantastic on set. Really in command, really clear, and the thing that is most unique or defining about the new Fantastic Four is the tone. We’re approaching it in a much more realistic, grounded, science rather than science-fiction way. The playfulness or goofiness of those other movies is very, very different from what we’re trying to do, and that is true for the production design, the casting, the storytelling. But you never know until you get on set how it’s all gonna start to feel, and just seeing those actors and seeing Josh, the way he’s articulating the tone and the way the actors are executing it gives me a lot of confidence that we’ll actually be able to make a cool Fantastic Four movie.”

“I think everyone was on the same page about the approach to the story in terms of wanting it to feel like it had the tone that Josh was very clear about, which is real, grounded, dramatic. How we executed that changed as everything changes when you’re revising and rewriting a script, and I think in some ways I caught up to Josh’s tone. He had such a clear idea for what the tone of the movie was gonna be, and I learned it and then executed it on the page. I think we all were very committed to this version of Fantastic Four, the specifics of how the story evolved and stuff like that was like it is on any normal movie.”

"Who are these characters going to become?’ because hopefully I’ll be writing them in three years, five years, seven years from now."

"The tone of this movie will feel as unique as when you saw Iron Man, X-Men, or Batman Begins for the first time. It’s not as goofy as the first movies; it has humor in it, but the humor is much more real and comes from character, not pratfall jokes. It’s a much more dramatic film than it is a comedy. I would say it falls somewhere between Raimi’s first couple of Spider-Man movies and Chronicle."

"The change of Jamie as Ben being a smaller guy instead of a bigger guy, for example, was for a purpose," he said. "It's more dramatic when that character becomes a huge rock creature – that's a bigger transformation. The notion of a working-class tough guy who's been pushed around by his bigger brothers his whole life seemed like a more interesting character than the guy who started as a football player and just ended up being 4 inches taller."

7. Dark Raven

Dark Raven The Gal from Themyscira

Well apparently Asura is as bad as Fant4stic, if not worse. It cost 750m yuan (£85m) but only made 49m yuan (£5.5m).

And you're right that Kinberg is behind both DP and Fant4stic, so how much could he have improved since then?

8. Willie Lumpkin

At first I was thinking next summer would be way to early for something that specific and the best we could hope for was an announcement of a date and maybe a cool "4" logo.

But your mention of Boseman reminds me that he was introduced in Civil War, so they could potentially announce an FF release date and then bring out some actors who might be introduced in other films prior to the FF film.

9. Dark Raven

As long as we don't see Fiege carting out Miles Teller on the El Captain stage to announce as the new Reed Richards.

10. wobbly

wobbly Occasional Scribbler

And lest we forget:
    Kinberg is hopeful that Four becomes a new franchise. “I am proud of it,” he says. “It’s not a disaster. It’s a good movie. I find Fantastic Four a hard book to adapt. I think the tone is very tricky it. It’s deceptively simple. Figuring out the comedy and the drama and the powers themselves are hard to fit into a tone that is as grounded as we wanted to make it. But I’m happy with the way that it turned out. I really love this cast, and I want to keep making movies with them.”

11. Dark Raven

First off, in what sense was Fant4stic not a disaster and a good movie? Kinberg was talking out of his ass.

And I'd like Marvel to produce a huge blockbuster of an FF movie. Then they can quote Kinberg again. A hard book to adapt? The tone is tricky? Deceptively simple? What a load of bull.

Is he still happy with the way it turned out?

12. Big Bang

Big Bang Well-Known Member

The moment Kinberg was announced as director of DP should have been a red flag for everyone.

The movie is destined to lose money. It's only a matter of just how much.

13. Detective Conan

That’s actually in the vein of what I’m thinking of. I’ve always said before the FF needs to appear in a big MCU crossover film or a big event film before they land their own solo film so in a way it’s kind of like what Marvel did with Spider-Man actually — they didn’t immediately do a Spidey solo film but first put him in Civil War and got people hyped about Spidey in a way they haven’t been for a long time.

This approach can work with FF. Granted, my example is a bit imperfect since in that case Spidey’s rights were/are still with Sony and they had to put out a movie within a certain timeframe, while in the case of the FF(if the deal goes through with Disney) then they would have full access to the property, and take as long as they want to get another FF film off the ground but this approach for the FF is more needed than even with Spider-Man given that all the FF films released so far have left a very bad taste in people’s mouth’s.

14. Shinobi Shaw

Shinobi Shaw The Black King of THC

Kinberg's F4 had as much humor as a DCEU movie.

Hell it felt like a DCEU movie.

Keep him and Bryan Singer and Lauren Donner away from the MCU after the acquisition. Please.

15. Smurphftw

Smurphftw Loyal and affectionate. Hairy and temperamental

I seem to recall a few months after it was released, that he grudgingly admitted that "the movie wasn't very good" or something like that. Then he went on and tried to convince us that he still wanted to do a sequel -_-

I could be mistaken but I could have sworn something like this occurred.

16. Willie Lumpkin

You're right, except I don't know if I ever read an admission that it "wasn't very good".

He spoke in general terms about the tone not being what the fans wanted, and he would fix those things in the sequel, but I think he stopped short of admitting the film itself wasn't actually good.

http://collider.com/fantastic-four-simon-kinberg-tone/

17. Willie Lumpkin

"I think that there were many decisions we made along the way that led to a movie that people didn’t like..."

See? It's our fault. It's not that the movie was bad, it's that we didn't get it.

18. Detective Conan

You are correct he did admit the movie was not good.

“We didn't make a good movie, and the world voted, and I think they probably voted correctly. And you can't make a good movie every time out -- not everybody does. We actually have a pretty good batting average, all things considered. But I think we made many mistakes when we made that movie -- mistakes that we learned from and we wouldn't repeat.''

http://www.syfy.com/syfywire/simon-kinberg-flaws-failures-and-future-foxs-fantastic-four

19. Endeavor

Endeavor Que bolá con el timbeque?

No way a hack like that can produce a decent film.
    Ive said it forever, even when everybody was high on his Mr & Mrs Smith. This man should not be writing, producing or much less directing any movie.

20. Chip Chipperson

Chip Chipperson KNOCK KNOCK LET THE DEVIL IN

Replacing Kinberg and Laura Shula Donner with Feige will breathe new life into the franchise

Exciting times.

21. Shinobi Shaw

Shinobi Shaw The Black King of THC

The same man who wrote boring ass Apocalypse, bleak ass F4 and possible wack ass Dark Phoenix wrote Mr & Mrs Smith? That fun, action packed movie?

He must've had a ghostwriter.

22. Willie Lumpkin

Ah, so he did admit it. But he also still doesn't get it.

"We want to make another Fantastic Four movie. We love that cast - I mean if I were to say to you now Michael B. Jordan and Miles Teller, and Kate [Mara] and Jamie [Bell] are great actors - we love that cast. I love the comic, I mean I love it almost as much as X-Men."

The cast was completely wrong. They may have been talented, but they were the wrong people for the roles. I was actually optimistic right up until the point we started getting the cast, and just from that, I knew they didn't intend to make a Fantastic Four film.

Kinberg is such a clueless loser. :cmad:

23. Smurphftw

A rare moment of honesty from a man who lies as easily as most people breathe.

24. Smurphftw

That's an insult to clueless losers all over the world ;)

25. Willie Lumpkin

:funny:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.