The Rise of Skywalker The Rise of Skywalker... what does the title mean?

DarthSkywalker

Your Most Aggro Pal (he/him)
Reaction score
For the first time, I truly believe this is about the wrapping up of the 9 film saga. Especially once I heard that laugh. But what does the title mean?

In so many ways, I feel like it is a reference to Luke, Leia, and Anakin. How what they have done to get us here. On the other hand, I also do think it is a reference to Ben and yes... Rey. How? Well we will find out. But this does seem to be the story of the family of the galaxy, far, far, away.

I am going to say the theory posted in the trailer thread that Rey is a clone of Anakin that Palpatine made sometime before Return of the Jedi is going to the answer here. I think TLJ took Luke off the table as a parent in any way that would make sense, and Leia I don't think would ditch one of her children only to raise the other one. It's also the best way to make this trilogy consistent with itself at this point.

So I am thinking, Anakin clone. It might be weird, mental gymanstics in order to make her a Skywalker, but I think it is the only way to do it and have it please everyone and make sense within the current ST narrative.

Leia adopts Rey as a daughter, in a way. No retconning needed.

I am going to say the theory posted in the trailer thread that Rey is a clone of Anakin that Palpatine made sometime before Return of the Jedi is going to the answer here. I think TLJ took Luke off the table as a parent in any way that would make sense, and Leia I don't think would ditch one of her children only to raise the other one. It's also the best way to make this trilogy consistent with itself at this point.

So I am thinking, Anakin clone. It might be weird, mental gymanstics in order to make her a Skywalker, but I think it is the only way to do it and have it please everyone and make sense within the current ST narrative.
She's too young to been "born" or "created" before RotJ, so she'd have to have been made after.

On another note there, perhaps she was created the same way Anakin apparently was.

It means they needed a title to let people know there's still something to do with Luke in the film.

She's too young to been "born" or "created" before RotJ, so she'd have to have been made after.

On another note there, perhaps she was created the same way Anakin apparently was.

Also possible. And yes, you're right on the timeline, lol. I forgot how many years we are beyond ROTJ at this point. Still going with clone, though.

Also possible. And yes, you're right on the timeline, lol. I forgot how many years we are beyond ROTJ at this point. Still going with clone, though.
If she is a clone... I really think Luke works better. But we shall see.

If she is a clone... I really think Luke works better. But we shall see.

I would wonder how he got Luke's DNA if she is a clone of Luke, though. Unless he had possession of Luke's TESB saber before he sometime lost it and it ending up with Maz? That's a lot to explain, though. I think Anakin would be easier to explain as he could have stock piled his DNA at any time.

I would wonder how he got Luke's DNA if she is a clone of Luke, though. Unless he had possession of Luke's TESB sabre before he sometime lost it and it ending up with Maz? That's a lot to explain, though. I think Anakin would be easier to explain as he could have stock piled his DNA at any time.
Well, remember how TFA originally started and JJ did mention that they went back to ideas from the past here, including TFA...

Luke's clone hand confirmed!!!! :o

The title definitely works to create buzz and conversation. Hopefully it makes sense within the context of the movie as well.

As far as what it means? Not even gonna try and guess. I'll figure it out as the story unfolds when I'm watching it.

Serious question. Scientifically speaking, how do you gender swap a clone?

I didn't expect to see Rise in the title for the the last film in the main saga. Isn't Kylo technically a Skywalker? Maybe he rises up as a powerful sith even more than Vader or he gets redemption and becomes a new kind of jedi

I think we're overthinking this. The truth is they needed to attach Luke's name somehow into this after they clusterfork that was TLJ killed him off. Essentially, what ever the title refers to, the reason it exists is to draw people back.

I think we're overthinking this. The truth is they needed to attach Luke's name somehow into this after they cluster**** that was TLJ killed him off. Essentially, what ever the title refers to, the reason it exists is to draw people back.
There was never any doubt that Luke would be in this movie.

There was never any doubt that Luke would be in this movie.

I'm willing to bet Disney has done enough research to know what the general anticipation is towards this film. I don't believe for a moment the Skywalker name would be in this title if they thought the vibe towards this film was strong.

The title is the one thing I do not like about the trailer. I'm sick of titles with "Rise", they are lazy and generic. It also seems too specific. Star Wars episode titles are best when they are kinda vague and general. But if we get a really good movie, I can live with it.

I'm not going to speculate.

I caution and warn ALL Star Wars fans, speculation is what gets you in trouble. Literally all the speculation and theories about Last Jedi were wrong.

Regardless of what it means, it's not a very good title. It's awkward, cliched, and sticks out like a sore thumb compared to the rest of the titles in the series.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"