First Avenger The Rocketeer 2?

Kevin Roegele

Do you mind if I don't?
Reaction score
How much do you think this movie will resemble Joe Johnson's 1991 movie The Rocketeer?

What? You haven't seen the Rocketeer?! Then go and watch it now, as it is one of the most beautiful, heart-warming pulp-style movies you will ever see.

The only thing wrong with the movie is that it lacks action, which is something I'm sure The First Avenger will not. If Captain America can capture the nostalgia and old fashioned wonder of the Rocketeer, and add in action, then I'm all for it.

That's weird...the ROCKETEER I saw had plenty of action.

Watch it again....it's missing one or two set pieces for an action movie.

Guess it depends on your definition of action.

Let me change that.....your first post said it "lacked" action....then your last post says it doesn't qualify as an 'action movie".

To me, those are two different things....action and action movie. You should clarify that in your first post.

i love the rocketeer and think it had plenty of action, but i really hope cap doesn't follow it's example too much. as fun as it was i hope cap has a bit more emotional resonance

I hope Cap resembles the Rocketeer more so than Johnston's recent fare. The music, costumes, the feel and everything in Rocketeer are nearly perfect in my book.

Last edited:
Well I can see the WWII parts being like Rocketeer, but not present day scenes.

I dont think we'll be seeing too many present days scenes in this

If its anything like the Rocketeer it had better be on steroids. It needs to be more epic in my opinion.

I dont think we'll be seeing too many present days scenes in this
I could see about three minutes at the very end of Cap in ice in present day. :D

The Rocketeer........rocks. I love that movie.

I've no doubt that there will be similiar stylistic similiarities for sure, although I happen to think that it will be darker than the Rocketeer. Sure, there's villains in the Rocketeer and bad things happen and all, but there's an overall sense of fun and innocence about the movie; but I never really got a sense of dread. Of danger.

It's been said that 'Raiders of the Lost Ark' is more the template for Cap. I see Raiders as being meaner than the Rocketeer, in that there's still a sense of fun but there's also an undercurrent of very real danger and evil and it seems the stakes are higher in the movie as a result. With the inclusion of the Red Skull alone (similiar to Raider's Major Toht only even more nefarious) you have a villain that will surely be more evil than Rocketeer's Neville Sinclair.

One things certain for me though - I'd love to see a newsreel in Cap similiar to the one in the Rocketeer:-

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pMQwT9z0Jyc&p=B5C6FCC7B358C704&playnext=1&index=23

I would like a mix between Rocketeer and October Sky in terms of tone.

Rocketeer is one of the best comic book movies ever, I hope Joe captures the feel for Cap as well as he did this one.

And I still say NONE of the Cap movie should be in the present, all of that should be saved for the Avengers movie.

I doubt much of the film will be in the present. When they said 'modern day bookends' I figure it will be him being found in the ice (possibly with a cameo from Fury, IM or Thor), then cut to credits. There's too much to go onto on his waking up. I figure the 1st 20 minutes or so of Avengers will deal with that (will also give them time to decide on a present day costume for him).

The Rocketeer is one of my favorite comic book movies of all time. When I heard that Joe Johnston was directing this movie, I salivated. He is a very underrated director IMO.

Yeah, IMHO, JJ is hit or miss though, but when he is on, he's on like donkey kong! Rocketeer, October Sky and Hidalgo are all excellent flicks. Plus, he worked as effects director on Raiders of the Lost Ark!
Him paired with the whole Marvel think-tank could be a great combo.
I have a real good feeling about CA:TFA!

I rewatched Raiders this past weekend and if CA is similar at all to the tone and action of that movie I'll be over the moon. I think my ideal CA would feel like Raiders (maybe a little bit of Hellboy), mixed with the look of The Rocketeer. I definitely hope there will be humor in CA, so long as they find ways to laugh with Cap and not at him. And actually, I don't really think that'll be a problem.

I am renting The Rocketeer and Hellboy (again) to psych myself up... for a movie that's coming out in 9-10 months LOL!

Don't know if you guys heard that Green Lantern won the most anticipated cb movie for 2011 at the Spike Awards. Cap is mine hands down.

Mine too, by far! That and Thor. Although, I will definitely be going to see GL as well!
By the way, what the heck does Spike know?! To each - his own, I say.

Last edited:
Don't know if you guys heard that Green Lantern won the most anticipated cb movie for 2011 at the Spike Awards. Cap is mine hands down.

Chances are, when they did the poll, GL was just greenlighted and CA was still just a rumor without star or director announced. So it would be more on the voter's mind at that time.

Or maybe its bs and WB had something to do with the result.

Or the fact that Green Lantern has the character actually revealed along with numerous pics of other Lanterns popping up. You have to dig for good Cap pics and the best you'll get is a stuntman. Thor (as excited as I am for it) gets enough crap from the fans alone. You think non-fans are gonna treat it much better? Yeah, it's really no surprise that GL is more anticipated. With how much they have done I'm surprised there's no trailer yet.

I haven't seen Johnson's recent work but hopefully he can keep that Rocketeer feel and infuse some Raiders. With how futuristic things look though I'm expecting a heavy sci-fi element (which I think is awesome).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"