First Avenger The role of foreign language in "The First Avenger: Captain America"

Silvermoth

Krakoan native
Reaction score
What do you think of foreign language in the movie?

I'm in favour of it. Strongly so in fact. I think it really helps me get absorbed into the film.

The key for Marvel is not dumbing down the film. They certainly know better. Subtitles will NOT scare anyone off. I say a resounding YES to foreign language. Handle it like Inglorious Bastards did at the beginning. Switch to english after acknowledging it on screen if it makes sense.

well majority of character will probably be speaking english. But if its any germens and french i am sure we will probably hear characters speaking that. And either we get subtitles or dont.

We also have to consider that they are targeting a wide audience which includes young children. Its the same audiance they have targeted with Spider-man and Iron Man.
So there might be some foreign language, with sub titles, but almost the whole movie will be in English. Probably even many Nazi dialogue, German dialogue and French. So that little little kids wont feel left out or that this is a movie for adults and not them.

I can see a few scenes where soldiers in the background are shouting things like "shneil!" or stuff like that, and maybe the Red Skull will translate what one Nazi soldier says to him for an imprisoned Captain America (something like) "He asked me when he gets to shoot you, and I told him no one gets to shoot you but me!"

True it would make for a more artsy and period peice type movie to have all the Germans speak German, french speak french and have subtitles. But I think,
The majority of the dialogue will be in English with thick accents I think.

Last edited:
Sorry, I don't know how to spell in German.
I meant "Schnell!" Or maybe "Nein" or "Achtung"
I looked these up in Stan Lee's Captain America comics, so if they aren't real words or spelled wrong blame him.

The point is, like in Stan's Cap comics they mostly spoke English with thick accents. And every so often they said a German word.
So maybe they can do that, so to not exclude the young children in the audience who wouldn't want to read subtitles.

ah. I see.

that could work, but personally I really love watching American or British movies and hear the attempts of English speaking actors to speak German dialouge. German with those thick (especially) American accents just sounds funny as hell.

Let them at least say a few sentences, not only single words.

Foreign language is a must. As far as the children being left out, the majority of the film will be in english. And honestly, if they are too young to read, they probably don't get nor care about "talking scenes". They care about "fighting scenes".

As long as it doesn't end up like Tom Cruise not speaking a German accent and still sounding American in Valkyrie then that oughta be fine. God that was as bad as when John Wayne played Genghis Khan. :facepalm:

Nothing can give this film a more "worldly" feel than characters who speak in foreign languages. Look at Inglourious Basterds: the use of all that native tongue really adds to the authenticity of the locale and time period. I want to see the Red Skull and his men speaking German (although that isn't likely), and at the very least we should have foreign grunts speaking in their native language.

I doubt we will get much subtitled dialogue in this movie, just because of the demographic they are trying to reach. I know adults that hate subtitles....and as a kid...I HATED THEM!!

Now as an adult... I rather hear the actual language being spoken with Subtitles... but I would think that the GP would probably prefer actors speaking english with accents.

Nothing can give this film a more "worldly" feel than characters who speak in foreign languages. Look at Inglourious Basterds: the use of all that native tongue really adds to the authenticity of the locale and time period. I want to see the Red Skull and his men speaking German (although that isn't likely), and at the very least we should have foreign grunts speaking in their native language.
I was just gonna use IB as a Great example of how foreign language can be executed :up:

yea i wouldnt mind if germans/french are speaking it with subtitles. Though if its english with accents i am ok with that too.

As long as it doesn't end up like Tom Cruise not speaking a German accent and still sounding American in Valkyrie then that oughta be fine. God that was as bad as when John Wayne played Genghis Khan. :facepalm:

Then whatever you do don't watch Breakfast At Tiffanys. Mickey Rooney played Asian neighbor Mr. Yunioshi. I'm not Asian but that's the most unintentionally offensive thing I think I've ever seen in a film. I have to admit, it's so bad that it's funny.

Incredible Hulk had subtitles in the first half hour I dont see a problem why when its only germans on screen they cant speak german. But you have to keep them brief. I also like when say an american is captured and in a room of all foreigners they speak another language in front of him but we get no subtitles that way we are just as lost as he is, I think that can really add to the suspense

Incredible Hulk had subtitles in the first half hour I dont see a problem why when its only germans on screen they cant speak german.

This is a fantastic point. If they had subtitles in the Incredible Hulk there is no reason not to use them in Captain America. If they felt subtitles were necessary to immerse us into modern day Rochina then there is no reason for them not to think subtitiles are necessary to immerse us for a WW2 period piece.

Definatley. Every character should speak in whatever language they would realistically be speaking in that situation. If Red Skull and Hitler have a conversation, it should almost certainly be in German.

The main characters will mostly be speaking English, so it's not like anyone can complain they have to read the whole movie, just a few select scenes.

If Marvel wants this movie to be taken even remotely seriously, they'll have foreign characters speak in their native tongues.

It's a Cap, WWII movie, there is going to be a little bit of German per the comics.

Dam, seems like they'll be speaking English with German accents in this film. I HATE it when they do that in movies!

Here's the proof from the front page of superherohype

"Remove the lid," one of them commands, and they go to a tomb of what looks like a Scandinavian Viking warrior, and four of the soldiers push open the lid as Hugo Weaving walks in as Johann Schmidt, wearing full Nazi officer attire, and he starts talking in his German accent—sounding a bit like Christoph Waltz in fact. "It has taken me a long time to find this place. I should be commended. I gave you nothing."
"Get him up," he tells the soldiers referring to the old man, who he tells. "I think that what others see as superstition, you and I know to be a science."
"What you seek is just a legend," the old man tells him.
"Then why make such an effort to conceal it?"

They'll probably just slip in the odd word of German or French or whatever every now and then (which is in my opinion, even worse)

Hopefully there's at least a few subtitles here and there. They did it in IM2, I don't see why they can't use a foreign language or two in Cap.

I wanted to type this response in Skrull but I don't have a proper keyboard.:csad:

As a European, it really does annoy me when films don't have characters speaking in their correct languages. What is the point of randomly having them speak English rather than what they should be speaking? It makes the film seem lazy and really takes one out of the story.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"