The RPG Soapbox: Let your voice be heard!

Discussion in 'Approval & General RPG Discussion' started by Batman, Nov 29, 2010.

1. Batman

Batman Dramatic Example

Well, like the current boards, there would be descriptions under each section.

But I can kind of see your point. That's why it's just a spitball of an idea.

2. Keyser Soze

Keyser Soze AW YEEEAH!

What newbies?

3. Carnage27

Carnage27 No one's puppet

I like it, personally. If someone is confused about something, they can always read the introduction thread in Approval and Discussion.

Sounds good. I don't know what's happening in WoH, but it looks like OU will end after next season.

Personally I don't like that. Just because if you weren't playing that character, you may not know exactly what happened last season. I think the person playing them should have to do it during the season.

Once every 2 months isn't that bad.

4. Eddie Brock

Eddie Brock Golden Domer

I should have been clearer. If Poster A was playing Batman at the end of Season I, then he must update the Batman wiki for Season I or he wouldn't have exclusive rights to Batman at the start of Season II. This doesn't apply to people who haven't played the character.

5. Batman

Batman Dramatic Example

Stop scaring me with your... words! :csad:

6. Carnage27

I honestly don't think it's a bad idea. It's something that we can sticky in every sub-forum, so the rules are always there, and there's no excuse for not knowing them.

Also, now I know this sounds controversial but I think it's a solid idea, but I think each player should have an overall character cap. I know this is something I've had problems with. People go crazy and pick up 10 characters across the boards and 2 weeks later only have 2 left that they're posting with diligently, and holding others up.

7. Carnage27

Ah, gotcha. I like it.

8. Eddie Brock

Eddie Brock Golden Domer

Honestly, though, the character limit by RPG is meant to control that to some degree. Otherwise, it's up to the poster's discretion as to how many characters he/she can handle at any one time.

9. Eddie Brock

Eddie Brock Golden Domer

I do like the idea of periodic wiki updates, but for characters that change hands frequently it could be difficult. Perhaps a mid-Season round-up?

10. Batman

Batman Dramatic Example

The problem is, sometimes the players themselves aren't aware of their own limitations.

(<---Case in point.)

11. wiegeabo

wiegeabo Omniposcient

When I wanted to play Sinestro, you know what I did? Read all of season 2 and waited for season 3 to start before applying.

Honestly, someone who's read up on the history of the game is going to get an app approval before someone else. Even if all they read is the wiki (which means we need to keep the wiki's updated).

Perhaps in the character applications, when it asks for a brief bio of a character, we don't just accept the standard wiki breakdown. We ask for a brief history in game (unless it's season 1). If someone can't be bothered to glance through the wiki and summarize it in a few sentences, then they're not going to respect continuity and should go play in one of the short games.

And I think that if the short games take off, we'll see a lot fewer applications for characters that either go unposted or get dropped after three or four posts because people will be able to get their favorite character fix somewhere else.

12. Carnage27

Yea, midseason would work. 2 months was just the first number that popped into my head.

Eddie, I see where you're coming from, but MB pointed out exactly what I'm thinking. A lot of people, me included, constantly overextend themselves to where they pick up important characters in a bunch of games, then fail to deliver.

Some even say they'll play in a proposed game when they already have a ton of characters, and then when push comes to shove, they don't deliver and the game dies. I know I've done this one before, too.

I think a limit around 6 would diminish these problems. If you want more than that, you should have to prove that you can keep up with 6 before your numbers can increase. But that's just me.

13. Batman

Batman Dramatic Example

Co-signed.

I absolutely agree with this. It'd be a great exercise for new blood, and it'd weed out who's been paying attention between who just happened to stumble in.

14. Carnage27

Sounds good to me. I know I've always read through the games before joining up.

Only problem is it might deter any potential newbies.

15. wiegeabo

wiegeabo Omniposcient

At the very least, everyone would be required to post a paragraph or two summary every half-season. They could always keep it more up to date as well.

I really think having a well updated wiki can help with outside recruitment as well. As a small example, I know there are a ton Supernatural websites and RPG's out there. Well, the Supernatural mythos is in the From the Pages of... game. So, having a good wiki on the Supernatural characters in our game might help bring in Supernatural fans that otherwise wouldn't visit a comics board (even if they are comic fans).

16. wiegeabo

wiegeabo Omniposcient

Then they can go break their RPG cherry in the short games with no continuity to worry about. When they decide to get serious, they can put in the work for the big games.

17. Byrd Man

Byrd Man El Hombre Pájaro

I like that idea a whole lot. Almost like a farm system.

18. Carnage27

Very true.

The proposal has my vote.

19. Batman

Batman Dramatic Example

Plus, I hate to sound harsh... but it's not that hard to backtrack and read up on a character's history. I sure as hell wouldn't want to take a stab at a character like, say, Alan Scott in WOH without reading up on him in the previous seasons. All it takes it a brief search.

20. Batman

Batman Dramatic Example

And you know how I feel about farm animals. :word:

21. wiegeabo

wiegeabo Omniposcient

I like that.

If a rookie wants to join the majors, then they have to put in the effort to show they can hang with the big dogs.

If not, they can hang around the small games, getting to know all the players and the way things work. That way, people who only want to do small, short stories, have a place to go.

22. wiegeabo

wiegeabo Omniposcient

Now I'm getting all excited. Need to write down these new ideas. :awesome:

23. Byrd Man

Byrd Man El Hombre Pájaro

One thing I think we also need to do is drop the axe on some of the current RPGs with low activity. I'm talking about like FTPO, Star Trek, and the Zombie RPG, which seems to be going nowhere fast.

We have these ideas for WoH and OU...but what about Marvel? It was just rebooted. How do we go about getting activity back up?

24. Carnage27

Okay, so here's the list with some newer additions that are being talked about. I bolded those that I feel like most have agreed upon so far.

Declare a final season in WoH/OU

Maintain wiki for continutiy

Limit consecutive seasons a player can own a character

Try single season games

Newbies should get a chance to apply before veterans

Limit # of short/alternate games in each board

Byrd mush be killed to take Gordon away from him.

Standard season lengths

Force increased post frequency

Punishment for players that pickup and drop characters without a post, or only a couple of posts

Increased GM activity

GM controlled NPC's and story arcs

Recruitment from outside the Hype

Better use of RPG Proposal board

D&D type GM control

Overall Character Caps

Detailed in-game knowledge of character before approval

Voting system implemented for approving games

25. Carnage27

I agree. Definitely about Trek and FTPO, which have been basically drowning for months.

Personally, I think it should be a clean sweep. If the other two are going to have their final season, Marvel should as well. That way there's a completely new slate once the new regime starts.