John Murphy/The Score & Composer Thread

I’ve been listening to a lot of sufjan stevens lately, he might be fun for a more modern approach

Okay, but how tf are you gonna use “Starman” on Superman when he exists in a universe that includes several characters who call themselves Starman.

Okay, but how tf are you gonna use “Starman” on Superman when he exists in a universe that includes several characters who call themselves Starman.

What if we put Starro on him first? :mindblown:

I always get a bit emotional with starman so I think that would be a really beautiful moment to see superman watching earth from the moon while listening to that

Gunn using Florence and the Machine on the GOTG vol. 3 soundtrack is really opening up a whole new world of what music is possible for this movie.

I'll be honest I think Gunn is gonna stir away from some of the most obvious song choices for Superman.

I honestly don't think we'll as much in the way of music like we've had in Guardians, TSS, and Peacemaker. I feel like Gunn approaches this one differently.

I think Supes is in need of some revamping, he (the story or whatever) comes across as a bit pretentious if it's always some Amaaaazing score that is meant to carry every single theme that Supes embodies.

I don't care for one bit about the MOS score, I find it's very much up its own butt trying to tell just how important this guy is and then I just think it fails to be a good score because of that (my opinion obviously)

I'm not against a theme and I do want a great fun theme for him but I want it to be FUN and exciting, obviously, it's the same dude but Indiana Jones has such a fun theme that gets you excited.

Not ****ting on the S: TM theme either, it's a classic but a lot of the slow stuff build-up comes from the Krypton side where it's so bleak and cold and then we get washed over with the exciting part for Superman.

I guess what I'm trying to say is I think a Supes could do with kick-ass fun songs to give it some extra pep in its step.

Damn, it. Marvels got to Intergalactic first, I had that one booked.

I think Supes is in need of some revamping, he (the story or whatever) comes across as a bit pretentious if it's always some Amaaaazing score that is meant to carry every single theme that Supes embodies.

I don't care for one bit about the MOS score, I find it's very much up its own butt trying to tell just how important this guy is and then I just think it fails to be a good score because of that (my opinion obviously)

I'm not against a theme and I do want a great fun theme for him but I want it to be FUN and exciting, obviously, it's the same dude but Indiana Jones has such a fun theme that gets you excited.

Not ****ting on the S: TM theme either, it's a classic but a lot of the slow stuff build-up comes from the Krypton side where it's so bleak and cold and then we get washed over with the exciting part for Superman.

I guess what I'm trying to say is I think a Supes could do with kick-ass fun songs to give it some extra pep in its step.
I love both Williams’s score and Zimmer’s music for MOS, but I would really like this iteration to have his own musical identity. And if that includes a smattering of licensed music, then so be it. It’s Gunn’s prerogative.

Howard Shore. Superman needs a really great score for OUR first glimpse of him doing a big save. Shore could pull it off brilliantly.

I also fully expect Gunn to use some classic rock songs, thrown in here and there.

I am actually curious to see if Gunn might break with some of his recurring collaborators for this occasion. Like, I’m pretty sure that we were all expecting a Tyler Bates Superman score when Snyder was announced as director on MOS, but then they threw a curveball and got Zimmer on-board.

I’m confident that John Murphy could deliver on a Superman score, but I’m open to alternatives.

Honestly, I had cooled on him as a candidate just because he’s already done so much similar work to what this will likely be AND because his work on The Batman was so different for him that I just kind of want him to marinate in that world for awhile, but…

I’m listening to Giacchino’s Star Trek score and it feels like a good fit.

I know he's not as big of a name but I really dug the Spider-Man video game theme that John Paesano composed. I could easily see him translating to more a big screen feel with Superman.

Between "Creep" being in GOTG 3 and Superman Lives having meant to have used one of their songs, I wouldn't be shocked if a Radiohead song was on here (although Subterranean Homesick Alien does feel too obvious)

All I know is I want it to sound like this. I remember watching that scene in the theater and immediately thought this should be Superman's theme song.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"