Days of Future Past The Sentinels

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Overlord

Superhero
Reaction score
Since the Sentinels play a role in the Days of Future Past, I thought it might be fun to have a thread about them. How do want the Sentinels to be handled on screen, if they appear in the movie?

I want them dark violet and tall as the X-Mansion.

See I never understood why the Sentinels had to be that tall? Why would the government spend a ton of money on making robots that are 50 feet tall, when smaller robots would be cheaper, less likely to cause property damage and could better engage in crowd control? I also think the actors could better interact with the Sentinels if they were smaller. Plus I think the Sentinels were only 6 to 7 feet tall back in the Silver Age.

Last edited:
I've never cared for absurdly large sentinels. It's no fun watching Wolverine just claw at a foot.

how couldnt anyone create this topic before?? lol About time!
interesting issue, Ill post my expectations later ;)

I can live without the pink and purple look tbh. Cruel metallic grey is probably the best. Just keep the design, that's the important thing. Especially those unforgiving eyes.

They should be purple, their eyes red and their voices like in the cartoon. 12ft tall would work for me.

They have to be big enough to be scary, and so they are not too easily overpowered by mutants.

I thought their evil-looking mouths were one of their most terrifying features of them in the comics and cartoons.

And they should have at least some dark purple in the design.

I can live without the pink and purple look tbh. Cruel metallic grey is probably the best. Just keep the design, that's the important thing. Especially those unforgiving eyes.

100% agree, especially about the eyes.

See I never understood why the Sentinels had to be that tall? Why would the government spend a ton of money on making robots that are 50 feet tall, when smaller robots would be cheaper, less likely to cause property damage and could better engage in crowd control? I also think the actors could better interact with the Sentinels if they were smaller. Plus I think the Sentinels were only 6 to 7 feet tall back in the Silver Age.

Actually it would look so epic if they are 50 feet tall or as tall as the X-Mansion but the problem with that is I think the X-Men would have a hard time just defeating 1 Sentinel. Like I imagine just 1 fight scene with just 1 Sentinel could take 10 minutes. And how about if they are facing 5 to 10 sentinels.

I think for me the most important part to get right is the facial and head design, that square, lifeless and angular feel. As for the color, I think dark purple and black would be a cool combo, being both – for killer-robots – cinematically unique and with a nod to the comics. Metallic grey would be a safe and solid choice but with the risk of becoming a bit too plain looking or too – in the future context – Terminator-ish.

I want them to be quite big, but 50 feet seems a bit excessive. I rather them be slightly less big and have more of them at the same time instead.

10-15 feet tall would be ideal

never really understood why in the 90s animated series the Sentinels were as tall as 15 story buildings

I remember seeing it, back in the day, but was concept art legit or fan made...

...would anyone like to see them follow this designs (if it is real)

Last edited:
That is legitimate concept art from X2, before sentinels were cut from the script. A lot of people didn't like the "slinky" look of the sentinels, but I think the design is pretty interesting. I like the idea of the sentinels being portable. It makes a lot of sense as opposed to the way they would just walk around, like in the Animated Series, as though no one would notice a 3 story pink and purple robot crossing the street or hiding behind a tree.

Plus, the concept art nails the head and face, and those are two of the most important features of the sentinels' design, in my opinion.

Last edited:
It loks alright. Nothing horrible. Not a big fan of the chest piece, otherwise looks solid.

Since it is a world run be Sentinels I wonder how big they will allow them to get. Hope they are at the least taller then the actors.

That concept art always looked a bit odd, in that I can't quite believe that all of the Sentinel would fit neatly inside that 'wheel' consisting of front and back chestplates. But the wheel concept is great, although we saw wheel-like structures in Battleship. In most of the comics and cartoons, they flew and that looked impressive (like the flying robots did in Sky Captain, one of my guilty pleasures).

I remember seeing it, back in the day, but was concept art legit or fan made...

...would anyone like to see them follow this designs (if it is real)

This looks okay but the chest looks too big.

Hopefully they will ditch that art concept if they are doing the sentinels for the movie.

Hell, those could be smaller soldier type Sentinels and we could still have the huge ones as well.

I want the TRADITIONAL design of sentinels (cold stare and mouth)

colors i can deal with gunmetal.
I can also deal with them at any height.
50 ft or their original height, I don't care.

The real question is will NIMROD appear?
or will they cop out and make Bastion?

OOooo and even IF they don't have the mouth, they gotta have the helmet style, was that XMen Evolution where it was a black face and just glowing eyes.

oh yeah its GOTTA make the booting sound!!!! http://youtu.be/1b9xpfiYSJk?t=4m34s

:woot:

Last edited:
I loved that episode, when I was younger.

"What is that object?"
"It appears to be the ace of spades."

:funny:

I prefer huge Sentinels because I want the mutants to feel overwhelmed by them. There should be a strong feeling of unity against the Sentinels, so mutants on either side(X-men, Brotherhood, civilian) have to work together to take them down for their own survival. It would make it even more impressive when single mutants take them down on their own, such as Magneto. Even mutants like Nightcrawler or Azazel can teleport top of one and bamf away its head. Mutants like Cyclops, Havok, or Banshee can rip through them with their beams/voice. Beast can use his brain and acrobatically maneuver from Sentinel to Sentinel as they destroy themselves trying to catch him. My point is that even single mutants could take down a Sentinel if their powers are strong and they use their brains, regardless of them being huge. However, uniting against them makes it much easier.

Last edited:
I prefer huge Sentinels because I want the mutants to feel overwhelmed by them. There should be a strong feeling of unity against the Sentinels, so mutants on either side(X-men, Brotherhood, civilian) have to work together to take them down for their own survival. It would make it even more impressive when single mutants take them down on their own, such as Magneto. Even mutants like Nightcrawler or Azazel can teleport top of one and bamf away its head. Mutants like Cyclops, Havok, or Banshee can rip through them with their beams/voice. Beast can use his brain and acrobatically maneuver from Sentinel to Sentinel as they destroy themselves trying to catch him. My point is that even single mutants could take down a Sentinel if their powers are strong and they use their brains, regardless of them being huge. However, uniting against them makes it much easier.

Agree with all of that.

Plus huge Sentinels would allow the more powerful mutants to showcase the full extent of their power.

Not that, they couldn't if the Sentinels were smaller...it would just look cooler.

Agree with all of that.

Plus huge Sentinels would allow the more powerful mutants to showcase the full extent of their power.

Not that, they couldn't if the Sentinels were smaller...it would just look cooler.

Definitely, man. :up:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"