The SHH Member's Spoilery Thor: Ragnarok Review Thread (**WARNING: SPOILERS**)

In regards to russian gal's complaints:
- they didn't exactly have time to grieve for the Warriors 3. The movie moved kinda fast and I don't think Thor even knew they died.
-I agree that their deaths didn't have the best execution.
-Well, "Jane" disregarded the franchise, so no love lost there.
-Selvig is on Earth working with the Avengers. The less Darcy the better.

I'm sorry but Thor's relationship with Jane deserved better resolution. It was a huge part of his story. I've recently read somewhere comments from the writers that there was just too much in the film and they wanted to take this in a radically new direction but that is something they may address later. I'm cool with that.

I thought the film was a lot of fun but went a bit overboard on the gags, there was one after practically every piece of dialogue, it made it difficult to establish any sense of stakes.

Hensworth was clearly having a blast with this one and his chemistry with Hiddleston shone through again in the Thor/Loki scenes. The dynamic between Thor and Hulk/Banner was the stand out though, some great stuff from Ruffalo and the big Thor vs Hulk fight delivered.

The Grandmaster was Goldblum turned up to 11 on the Goldblum scale and Cate Blanchett chewed all the scenery as Hela, who was kind of like a Disney Evil Queen. The best new character though is Valkyrie, Tessa Thompson knocks it out of the park as the cynical, boozy badass with a sarcastic sense of humour who is disillusioned about her place in the world so has her emotional armor up.

The film is visually striking, a mix of Kirby and the 80's Flash Gordon movie, and the action sequences are pretty slick and pop like comic book panels.

All in all it's an entertaining poppy movie that sits tonally uneven within the MCU, much like the Guardians movies. 7/10

People have different views on the comedy part, which is fine, but something I'll say is that I don't think it's true when people say that there wes comedy all the time.

For example, I don't remember any joke from leaving Dr Strange's house until Valkyrie falls off the landing bridge of her ship on Sakaar.

There are parts where the humor is very frequent as well, but especially on the second viewing I noticed how there were blocks of seriousness (or few jokes) and blocks of frequent comedy.

How long was -- leaving Dr Strange to Valkyrie entrance? 5 minutes?

He sends them to Norway, Odin talks and die, Hela appears and Loki calls for Bifrost.

I am trying to think of entirely serious sequences.

Odin's death
Hela taking Asgard
all the Heimdall stuff
Loki/Valkyrie fight
Most of Hela in Asgard --weapons vault, tomb of warriors, etc.
Hela/Thor fight besides Thor's terrible "you're just the worst." line.

I'm sure I'm forgetting a few. And maybe forgetting jokes in the above sequences as well.

Thor Raganrok is one of the best MCU films, Odinson needed this film for his character development. Every character steals the show in my opinion and the story in general is very enjoyable. Sequence after sequence it gets better, Hela is the most deadliest and one of the best villians yet.

This is a podcast spoiler review by Talking Franchise https://youtu.be/Z2YnkCKg0ks please enjoy.

In reply to Krystal's sequential list of the comedy in the opening, the only one I think you missed was the multiple times Thor called for Heimdall to open the Bifrost, and then cutting to Skurge doing nothing. And maybe Thor placing the hammer in the mouth of the dragon (kinda funny...kinda cool, you might argue that one wasn't strictly comedy). And yes, that is a lot of humour in a short time, and I agree that it felt like too much, especially since a couple of the jokes didn't land at all in my theater (the waiting for the hammer and Skurge weight thing resulted in dead silence -- honestly I thought the Skurge one was later on in the movie, but I guess I was remembering wrong).

Luckily, for me, the great action sequences compensated for the overuse of jokes at the start of the movie, and then Hopkins as Loki made me relax and feel the flow of the whole thing better. (Though what was with the awful CGI as Thor was tossing his hammer there? That looked more like a ping pong ball on an elastic band than a heavy weapon.)

All the people involved did a great job overall on this, but that doesn't mean they can't improve.

I would've liked Dr. Strange in this movie a bit more, maybe helped out in the final battle?

Yes I forgot the Hammer in dragon mouth but I agree that is a not a joke and more a callback to what he did to Loki in the 1st -- which wasn't a joke either.
More of a clever use of the Hammer that makes you smile.

Thor sticking the hammer in the dragon's mouth was pure awesomeness.

Skurge with the shake weight elicited a lot of laughs in my theater.

As far as reactions to the waiting for the hammer I can't honestly remember. I was personally too disoriented by the change to Thor's personality and the overall flippant aspect of the dialog with Surtur at the time to even pay attention. It seemed like too much self parody. It wasn't until Thor began battling Surtur that I became fully engaged. From that point forward I started having a good time.

This is a "serious" movie, consider the characters are warrior space gods, why should they be scared to speachlessness? Soldiers joke even during real world wars...
Anyway, just rewatched it, stakes and emotional heft are there for people with a healthy sense of the ridiculous.

Add me to the tally of people who enjoyed it even more after a second viewing.

Totally agree, I don't really get it when folks say these sorts of films need to be serious, dark and gritty or have real substance - FFS they're about a guy who wears a cape and had a magic flying hammer with a name. That doesn't mean they can't have some tension, dranma and emotional weight but come on, think about the genre we're dealing with here. To me a balance is best, and these movies should still have a sense of joy in them.

Even TDK has a fair degree of humour (albeit quite black humour), TWS - Marvel's most serious movie still has humour (even Logan has some humour - although I felt it was let down by an ending that was still too bleak, there's a way to kill off the main character, but still make a film end on an uplifting note e.g. V for Vendetta). Civil War has plenty of humour in it, despite having some very serious themes.

But that's just IMO.

Thor sticking the hammer in the dragon's mouth was pure awesomeness.

Skurge with the shake weight elicited a lot of laughs in my theater.

As far as reactions to the waiting for the hammer I can't honestly remember. I was personally too disoriented by the change to Thor's personality and the overall flippant aspect of the dialog with Surtur at the time to even pay attention. It seemed like too much self parody. It wasn't until Thor began battling Surtur that I became fully engaged. From that point forward I started having a good time.

Well the movies does no favors starting out in the same fashion IM3 did (i.e. Tony talking to Bruce / Thor talking to skeleton) - that was the biggest departure. But ya, once you get settled in it works.

Regardless of whether it was true to his character, the chain comments were hysterical. The "that's what heroes do" was corny as bad place though and man I wish the fight scene with Surtur was a big longer.

Last edited:
personally I think Thor: Ragnarok is the best among Thor trilogy

I like to give it 7.5 out of 10(unfortunately there is no 7.5 option to click in the poll)

I understand the complaints about the humor perhaps being excessive for certain audiences but I will tell you what, its mostly the humor and heart that a movie has that gives it legs. WW, HC and now Ragnarok.. I expect all these to last long at the BO for that very reason. Even Guardians 2 felt better once they settled down from what was basically a jokes rapidfire session and let the characters' emotions come out.

My initial statement responded to the words from BigThor that "they improvised almost everything". Still, if I could have been clearer that I was only arguing against such an extraordinary claim, then I'll accept that criticism.

No one wants to be the bearer of bad news (since they are never liked by anyone), and I understand why many people want to enjoy this movie even more than most of us already do, but that claim -- as minor as it is in the long run -- doesn't sit well with me. It...just isn't true.

I don't care to be honest.

Well the movies does no favors starting out in the same fashion IM3 did (i.e. Tony talking to Bruce / Thor talking to skeleton) - that was the biggest departure. But ya, once you get settled in it works.

Regardless of whether it was true to his character, the chain comments were hysterical. The "that's what heroes do" was corny as bad place though and man I wish the fight scene with Surtur was a big longer.

I actually liked both the skeleton and later the "that's what heroes do" line. But the follow up with the ball whacking him right in the face was a bit slapstick. I guess that was Taika's way of deconstructing the genre.

personally I think Thor: Ragnarok is the best among Thor trilogy

I like to give it 7.5 out of 10(unfortunately there is no 7.5 option to click in the poll)

That rounds up to an 8.

It was him stupid enough not to know the ball would bounce back and tried to show off a heroic grandeur move. Hulk had been playing with that ball bouncing off repeatedly right there IIRC. I personally think it was a good foreshadowed funny moment.

Finally got around to watch Thor: Ragnarok

Loved it!

Normally the 3rd movie in a trilogy tends to be the weakest entry, but Ragnarok is by far the best Thor movie out of the three.

I thought the movie was good but not excellent. I think what kept it from being much better movie was the lack of drama/emotion. In this movie you have Thor losing his father, his three best friends, his eye, and his home. Yet it was brushed off for the most part.

Goldblum was awesome as Grand Master. Wish we could have seen more of him. Also enjoyed the cameos from Matt Damon and Sam Neil, so random.

This is probably the first MCU movie that has a memorable soundtrack. You can never go wrong with Led Zeppelin and the rest of the synth heavy score was something out of an 80s flick.

The Thor movies got better and better for me personally. I'm one of the few that liked TDW better than the first Thor. :funny:

Rewatching previous Thor films and it does piss me off how The Warriors 3 were treated in this film by barely any screentime just to be killed off. And something I hope is retconned in the future (I know it wont but still)

I liked the movie. The humorwas slightly too much for me, but it was nice in general. And I loved the fights with Rock &Roll with it. I enjoyed the movie and got out of it quite happy.
I must say that it was weird that the whole Loki-as-Odin Situation was not dealt properly, The whole atmosphere of the movie, mostly due to the music/score made a weird impression on me. I don't know if it was good or bad but it was different.
Overall, I'm happy with the movie.
Oh, and Hela ? I loved her. Great threatening villain. Loved her.

The Thor movies got better and better for me personally. I'm one of the few that liked TDW better than the first Thor. :funny:
Same here actually. I enjoyed the medieval vibe of it a lot and loved the bad guys. I knowsome people think the movie suck, butI don't, I actually like it.

I actually liked both the skeleton and later the "that's what heroes do" line. But the follow up with the ball whacking him right in the face was a bit slapstick. I guess that was Taika's way of deconstructing the genre.
I loved that scene with the ball bouncing back and knocking him down. I laughed hard at that moment and the theatre also bursted out laughing too. :woot:

And you are exactly right. That was a way of deconstructing the hole "hero speech" we see all the time in comic book movies... That "call to arms" or "pep talk" to jumpstart the character motivations, the action... was perfectly undercut with that hilarious moment. Thor's speech was solid and it really worked, then when he gets hit, and then jumps up like nothing happened at all it was pretty funny.(I've been in that situation before. :woot:) CH body language was hilarious.

And the dialog "And that's what heroes do", the music and timing worked perfectly. Then the music restarted and Thor jump out breaking the window, sliding through the building and jumping across which was pretty cool.

Mjölnir;35942281 said:
She really had no reason to start panicking after such short of a time when it was only a matter of time until she got the sword back, which she would have if Thor and his friends didn't come back to save/ruin the day. The time she's back on Asgard is short, especially since you have to remember that time flows more slowly on Sakaar so the events there are much longer than the ones on Asgard.

There's also the question why she would even begin to conquer other worlds before she's gotten Asgard sorted out?

I don't think she was *panicking*, per se. What she was, was enraged by this act of defiance. Bifrost belonged to *her*, like all of Asgard, and denying her it was denying her. She probably didn't intend serious conquest, yet, so much as making some appearances elsewhere in the Nine Worlds to deliver a message: You Have A New Queen.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"