The SHH Member's Spoilery Thor: Ragnarok Review Thread (**WARNING: SPOILERS**)

Discussion in 'Thor: Ragnarok' started by Finarfiniel, Oct 24, 2017.

?

Rate the Movie

1. 10

2. 9

3. 8

4. 7

5. 6

6. 5

7. 4

8. 3

9. 2

10. 1

Multiple votes are allowed.
Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. Zant

Zant Well-Known Member

Oh I enjoyed this one a lot. I was waiting for the flashback of Hela and Odin wrecking havok, but it never came. Asgards destruction really bothered me. It felt very endgame. Could be the last Thor film for a while.

2. Ragnaroknroll

Ragnaroknroll Well-Known Member

I agree about Korg's line during the destruction of Asgard and personally feel that was out of place. It doesn't ruin the movie for me but it annoyed me a little. I'm glad that wasn't his last line though because I warmed up to him again during his last scene with Miek.

I think the humor in the beginning was hit or miss because it was an unexpected character turn for Thor. I didn't like it at all the first time I saw the movie but on rewatch I chilled out and was able to enjoy it more.

The delay of the hammer after Thor's "That's what heroes do" I recognized as a foreshadowing of his same line later in the film where again he doesn't quite pull off his stunt the way he hoped. His line afterward where he says "I make grave mistakes all the time. Somehow it all works out." is awesome and was signature Thor.

I think these two instances were intended to show Thor's heroism as frankly a bit bumbling at times - which it is - he mucks things up now and again - but his heart's in the right place and he still gets the job done in the end. My $.02 anyway.

3. AVEITWITHJAMON

AVEITWITHJAMON Cloud kicks ass

Saw this again today, enjoyed it a bit more but the rating stays the same, had a blast each time with the movie though.

4. Mjölnir

Mjölnir Guest

I enjoyed it even more on the second viewing as well. Maybe it was being already tuned into the new tone and feel that Waititi has created. I think this will end up being a highly rewatchable film as I not only think it's great, it also has a great pace that I think will easily keep my interest even when I know everything by heart.

5. Spider-Fan

Spider-Fan SHHFFL 2014 Champion

Better late than never, but here is my review:

When Thor: Ragnarok was officially added to the slate, I think we all pictured the same movie. Something more in line with the tone of an epic like Game of Thrones or Lord of the Rings with a little of Marvel's flair and so on. Never did I think I was going to get by far the most zany and bonkers film Marvel has ever done, something that would put the wackiness of either Guardians of the Galaxy movie to shame. But, upon seeing the movie, I am so happy this is the movie we got. Thor: Ragnarok is a hilarious romp, but one that was not afraid to go dark places on occasion nor to go grand places.

One of the biggest issues Thor: The Dark World had was when the movie is about Loki, it was awesome, but when it was about Thor, it was just okay. Loki stole the movie so bad, it totally overshadowed the rest of the film. Another was the fact it seemed like just an average Thor adventure, which when you get 3 films and are probably done, seems wasteful. Luckily, Thor: Ragnarok felt like Thor's movie, and a Thor movie that needed told. We don't see bored performances or much meandering. We get Chris Hemmsworth in his best performance as Thor, a wonderful new twist on the Hulk that doesn't overshadow the movie, and gloriously over the top performances from Jeff Goldblum and Cate Blanchette. This is not even factoring in new characters like Skurge, Korg, or Valkyrie who also are very likable. This movie just has so much flavor, it is fattening!

Most of the credit I give to director Taika Waititi. The Thor franchise is the oddest trilogy, given each film was directed by a different person and the tone of each film is vastly different. While Thor and Thor: The Dark World certainly succeeded and failed on a few fronts they were striving for, Thor: Ragnarok ticks every single checkbox it strives for. Give Thor more defined personality and make him cool, like Captain America: The Winter Soldier did for Steve Rogers? Check. Be a fun movie? Check. Be a character driven movie that also advances the plot quickly and poignantly? Check. Give us a villain more interesting than Malekith? Check. Expand the scope of the Thor franchise beyond Earth and Asgard? Check. Thor: Ragnarok seemingly tries to be a simple fun movie, but it actually fits in a ton of story and character without you realizing it, and all the credit goes to the amazing way Waititi paces and directs the film. One moment, you will be dying of laughter, and then on a dime, the movie will do something unexpected and raise the stakes. While I am sure the filming on this was loose and improved heavily, Waititi never loses sight of the plot or how the characters need developed. Simply put, he knocked it out of the park.

One of my all-time favorite films is Flash Gordon from the 80s. That movie is just a fun romp through space I can throw on anytime. Thor: Ragnarok is like a superhero version of that, and as the saying goes, they just don't make them like that anymore. I may not have known this was the Thor film I wanted, but it was the Thor film I wanted. I firmly would say this is my 4th favorite MCU film as of the time of this review, and it earns my crown for favorite superhero film of the year. Logan may be the best movie, but Thor: Ragnarok is just so darn fun I can watch it anytime and have a blast! I honestly don't have many negatives. Yeah, the effects are not always great, but the beauty of having a good story and great characters is I just don't care as much about those things if I am invested. Great film, and highly anticipate seeing how they build on this. If this is the end of the Thor series, it joins Captain America: Civil War as third entries that bucked the third movie trend in comic book films.

Overall Rating - 5/5

6. RoryTate

RoryTate Circle Researcher

Anything would have been more interesting than Malekith, so there's not much to be commended there. Give us an inanimate carbon rod as the villain and it might have been less wooden. Although I am hearing that Steppenwolf from Justice League is now proving that particular joke to be outdated, which is definitely a strange timeline to find ourselves in.

I have to say that I do like Malekith's scene in The Dark World where he vindictively throws one of those singularity grenades at Odin's throne, for no particular reason. He does have at least a bit of interesting character if you look for it in his limited amount of screentime.

7. Ragnaroknroll

Ragnaroknroll Well-Known Member

I find the Malekith pile-on tiresome personally. He wasn't that bad jeez...

I also liked Malekith's scene with the singularity grenade. There were supposedly scenes cut from TDW that showed Odin was not as noble as he appeared and that Malekith was justified in his hate for Odin - why it didn't make the cut we won't know but I believe Marvel cut that film to be what they felt was the best of what Alan Taylor had shot. (Alan has not moved on to greatness folks.)

Further adding in more Loki as the quasi-villain obviously came at Malekith's expense. More Loki may have saved the film though - his scenes with Thor are stellar IMO.

I remember folks complaining about Odin's character turn in TDW but Ragnarok puts it all in context. It actually helps you understand why Malekith might have hated Odin - but I sure wish we could have seen elements of that in TDW.

8. Spider-Fan

I would say he is not terrible, but there is just nothing to him and there was not much to work with for Christopher Eccleston. He was a standard stock villain. No more, no less. At least not as presented in the movie itself.

9. RoryTate

RoryTate Circle Researcher

Remember though that much of that character description comes through the mouth of Hela, and she is obviously not the most trustworthy of information sources. Yes, Odin didn't tell Thor about her, and she was a weapon he used...but how she was used exactly remains uncertain in my mind. She is most certainly trying to justify her own bloodlust to some extent in her words. Odin is not perfect, but I don't think it is fair to claim he is a villain or the worst father ever (he makes Ego look like a more loving parent!) or other hyperbolic claims like that.

Interestingly, I rewatched The Avengers and AOU the other night (I was inspired by seeing the IW trailer), and I was fascinated at how Thor spoke negatively of Asgard's issues of pridefulness, and how Asgardians pretended they are more advanced than Earth (the Bilgesnipe quote). The theme of being disconnected and condescending -- and even a threat -- towards other places is a thread that has long been established and explored in the movies.

Last edited: Dec 1, 2017
  10. Mjölnir

Mjölnir Guest

He's to me a good case of a villain that wasn't bad but just wasn't there enough. If he was bad I wouldn't want to see more of him, but I do wish we would have gotten more scenes like they were talking about in interviews. Especially those highlighting the similarities between Malekith and Odin.

Nice review btw.

11. AVEITWITHJAMON

AVEITWITHJAMON Cloud kicks ass

Same, I think some comedy moments will get tiresome, but only some as the majority is really funny, but there is also substance to the movie and that will stand it in good stead for re-watches.

12. Zyraquis

Zyraquis Well-Known Member

It would be ironic if they did manage to reach earth as refugees — the embarrassment, the frustration of asking help from an inferior specie.

Also it will complicate earth politics with a bunch of ready made super soldiers falling from sky seeking home. I can see more than a few countries what their paws on them.

But they won’t see earth in any case given what is being hinted in the infinity war trailer.

13. Maxima

Maxima Well-Known Member

I think the plot in TDW was too basic while the Ragnarok plot was too packed. It would've been ideal to split the plot of Ragnarok between two movies so that the dark secrets of Asgard were revealed in TDW. That would justify Malekith's revenge. Also Thor and Loki would have time to reflect on that: Thor on Odin not being an ideal father and Loki on the family pattern that he's following. It would be interesting to see the reaction of other Asgardians. For example, Warriors Three would have to deal with the fact that they are not noble soldiers but defenders of Asgard's supremacy built on brutality and genocide.
    I really missed these reactions in Ragnarok. Sure there was no time for them since the movie had so many plot twists but I was disappointed. The entire history of Asgard turns out to be a lie and... nothing. No emotional response.

14. Spider-Fan

Thank you :)

I agree, with more development, Malekith would have worked better. He also kind of suffers from what Skeletor does in He-Man. Even when he gets the all-powerful McGuffin he seeks, he still is overpowered and loses. Malekith was a weilding one of the 6 most powerful things in the universe, and Thor still was owning him most of their fight! That's a problem.

15. Easter Lily

Easter Lily Well-Known Member

Not my favourite Marvel film but certainly my favourite of the Thor films mainly because of how much I like Thor in this. In the two previous films he came across as theatrical but here, there was something more down-to-earth, more boyishly charming at play. Chris Hemsworth was definitely much more relaxed than I've ever seen him in any of the MCU flicks and his dynamic with Hiddleston has gone to a wonderful new level of mischief and affection.
    It gets an 8.5 (rounded up to a 9) from me because some of the early humour didn't quite land for me but I certainly didn't feel that this film was a laugh a minute as it was touted in reviews that I'd read or heard.
    The Thor-Hulk arena fight was the highlight of the film for me. It wasn't just incredibly well-staged but the storytelling in the choreography was superb while being quite funny. Bringing in the Hulk here worked well as we see that dynamic developed further from the Avengers films.
    Another highlight was the aerial dogfight in the Grandmaster's pleasure craft... that was just so clever and ridiculously funny especially when Bruce hit "the button".
    It was a great night out for the clan... and the film gave off more than a few LOTR resonances.

16. Mjölnir

Mjölnir Guest

I rewatched Ragnarok this evening and I just keep loving this film. This is definitely highly rewatchable and I can't wait to see more of Thor in April.

17. HammerDown

HammerDown High Tide Or Low Tide

I second that 100%. Rewatching it again really drove the point home of how rewatchable the movie really is. It definitely holds up strong and it's filled with gems that one misses at first glance. The flow is there, the visuals, the action, humor, music, performances, directing... all contribute to an absolute blast and one hel of a ride. Loved it.

18. HammerDown

HammerDown High Tide Or Low Tide

And after rewatching the movie, it totally cemented it's legacy on my MCU ranking.

Top 5:

1. Avengers
    2. Thor Ragnarok
    3. Guardians of the Galaxy
    4. Captain America: The Winter Soldier
    5. Iron Man

19. Nathan_Koren

Nathan_Koren Mandalorian/Force Adept

I love it more and more every time :)

20. Spider-Aziz

Spider-Aziz Raul Boston's Dish Gaunt

Copying this from Last Movie You Watched thread

Quality = 9/10
    Joy = 10/10

[​IMG]

What can I say? I hoped for awesomeness and it didn't disappoint.

I do have one observation to point at, aside from that it is the most proud of being a comic book movie, and that "SON OF ODIN" and being put to rest like in the first movie: Why is lightning dude zapped by electricity into submission?

This movie is great, I'm proud of it, and I'm obliged to take a moment of silence in memory of our good friend and biggest Thor enthusiast, the mod of thunder; Vartha.

21. BigThor

BigThor God of Thunder

I think Grandmaster's device attacks the nervous system which causes the victims to have a seizure.

It's never really stated to be electricity, so I'll just use the "nervous system attacking" thing to rationalize it.

22. Spider-Aziz

Spider-Aziz Raul Boston's Dish Gaunt

I'll do my best to look at it this way next time I see it.

Korg talking about the three vampires killing stick is definitely a nod to his vampire movie, that got a good chuckle out of me.

23. BigThor

BigThor God of Thunder

Also when shot you can see the actual veins in their neck swell similar to that device Stane used in Iron Man 1.

24. Finarfiniel

Finarfiniel Merciless Queen of the Dread Dimension Death

Your top 5 is near identical to mine, HD. At the moment I have The Avengers, Ragnarok and GotG as my joint #1, I can't choose between them, they alternate as my favourite from day to day. :woot: For pure joy and entertainment value alone though, I think Ragnarok ultimately wins. Watching it makes me so happy. :yay:

25. Zyraquis

Zyraquis Well-Known Member

Actually just watched this again recently and I would downgrade its rating as somehow it didn’t excite me as much as the first time. I reckon the story and plot aren’t that compelling once I stripped away the fun elements that were great the first time but while still fine, they were already well expected the second time around. Hulk is still cool though.