The Comics The Silver Centurion: best ever Iron Man costume

Kevin Roegele

Do you mind if I don't?
Reaction score
jeff.ironman.final.jpg

I don't buy action figures, but one that I absolutely bought straight away was the Silver Centurion Iron Man. Although IM's colours are traditionally red and gold (the Golden Gladiator), Shellhead's coolest ever armour was the red and silver look (the Silver Centurion) he used during the 1980's.

Although supposed to be silvre, of course IM was mainly coloured white. Yellow doesn't represent much in comicbook values, but red is obvious a dramatic, passionate and dangerous colour, while white represents purity and innocence. Very few suprheroes wear red and white, but they worked extremely well for Iron Man.

I would even say it made IM one of the coolest looking superheroes ever. Just look at these awesome covers:

im222.jpg

im207.jpg

im213.jpg

im221.jpg

im227.jpg

imannual8.jpg

:spidey: yes it was very good armor but i think it was marvel considering i.m. the GOLDEN avenger [not gladiator] that made them return him to red&gold

3dman27 said:
:spidey: yes it was very good armor but i think it was marvel considering i.m. the GOLDEN avenger [not gladiator] that made them return him to red&gold

Tales of Suspense #93, "The Golden Gladiator and the Giant!" written by Stan Lee.

It's pretty cool, yeah--I have to say I prefer the current Extremis armor best, myself, but it's still cool. :o

It is a very cool armor and considered one of the greatest costume changes in comic history, it represented a new era in Iron Man, as fans we saw Gold/Red armors for decades, the Centurian armor was such a change.
Its one of my top 3 armors of all time.

I always loved the silver aspect as opposed to the gold of the classic armour.

The design is very much a product of it's time though - I havent got too much love for the shoulder pads (!) and I was never a fan of the boots. :woot:

Always wondered what this (my fave):-

CLASSIC.jpg

would look like with the silver aspect of the centurion suit and it's triangular beam plate. ?

But just to show some love for the Centurion suit, here are some more pics:-

ironmancover215.jpg

ironmani1.jpg

SILVER96.jpg

ironmanvscaptamerica.jpg

I've asked around on other sites before but never got an answer.

Anyone know who came up with and where the "Silver Centurion" name came from for this armor? I can't remember where I first read it but I do not think it appears in any of the books.

i think the silver centurion came either from a story title or a toy line description of the armor:ninja:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"