The Silver Centurion: best ever Iron Man costume

Discussion in 'The Comics' started by Kevin Roegele, Sep 1, 2006.

1. Kevin Roegele Do you mind if I don't?

[​IMG]

I don't buy action figures, but one that I absolutely bought straight away was the Silver Centurion Iron Man. Although IM's colours are traditionally red and gold (the Golden Gladiator), Shellhead's coolest ever armour was the red and silver look (the Silver Centurion) he used during the 1980's.

Although supposed to be silvre, of course IM was mainly coloured white. Yellow doesn't represent much in comicbook values, but red is obvious a dramatic, passionate and dangerous colour, while white represents purity and innocence. Very few suprheroes wear red and white, but they worked extremely well for Iron Man.

I would even say it made IM one of the coolest looking superheroes ever. Just look at these awesome covers:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. 3dman27 super-hero wannabe

:spidey: yes it was very good armor but i think it was marvel considering i.m. the GOLDEN avenger [not gladiator] that made them return him to red&gold

3. Kevin Roegele Do you mind if I don't?

Tales of Suspense #93, "The Golden Gladiator and the Giant!" written by Stan Lee.

4. MaskedManJRK Registered

It's pretty cool, yeah--I have to say I prefer the current Extremis armor best, myself, but it's still cool. :o

5. Ironman24 Golden Avenger

It is a very cool armor and considered one of the greatest costume changes in comic history, it represented a new era in Iron Man, as fans we saw Gold/Red armors for decades, the Centurian armor was such a change.
    Its one of my top 3 armors of all time.

6. Harlekin Business

It's my fave Iron Man armour as well.

7. Brian Braddock R.I.P. '96 Y.N.W.A.

I always loved the silver aspect as opposed to the gold of the classic armour.

The design is very much a product of it's time though - I havent got too much love for the shoulder pads (!) and I was never a fan of the boots. :woot:

Always wondered what this (my fave):-

[​IMG]

would look like with the silver aspect of the centurion suit and it's triangular beam plate. ?

8. Brian Braddock R.I.P. '96 Y.N.W.A.

But just to show some love for the Centurion suit, here are some more pics:-

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

9. Gamma Burst Registered

It's my favourite!

10. tetra1 Guest

I've asked around on other sites before but never got an answer.

Anyone know who came up with and where the "Silver Centurion" name came from for this armor? I can't remember where I first read it but I do not think it appears in any of the books.

11. 3dman27 super-hero wannabe

i think the silver centurion came either from a story title or a toy line description of the armor:ninja: