The Single Worst Comic Issue You Have Ever Read

fifthfiend said:
We can talk about how Crisis on Infinite Earths was a crappy comic, I'm always down for that.
Boy, if it has Supergirl in it...

fifthfiend said:
You mean like "I punched reality, so now it's different" senseless retcons? Cause DC's got those.
Senseless retcon, yes, but it does reconcile with previous history because it gives a reason that history changed. But I didn't really get much enjoyment out of Batman Annual 25, no.

fifthfiend said:
Or maybe you mean like "Donna Troy died, and since we apparently all cared so much about Donna Troy, we're all going to start acting like totally different characters now" retcons? Cause those are great, too.
Not a retcon.

fifthfiend said:
Or no wait, what about "Well we all had this secret from like forever ago, which is suddenly the most importantest thing in the entire universe ever, even though none of us have actually been at all concerned about it in any way, shape, or form, over the course of something like ten full years of continuity" senseless retcons? Those are sensational.
...? You refer perhaps to the people trapped in the post-Crisis pocket universe? Still not a retcon.

fifthfiend said:
No wait wait my all time favorite: "Leslie Thompkins murders people now, and if that bothers you, then Bill Willingham will call you a queer." There's just no topping that, for stupid, senseless retcons.
He called someone a queer? And again, it may be a retcon, it may be senseless, but it does reconcile with previous history. It's totally possible, going back and reading War Games, that Leslie could have killed Spoiler.

droogiedroogie2 said:
He called someone a queer?
From Willingham's own mouth:

Yes, I'm a little put out by the (at least three and counting) reputedly male readers who posted testimony that they wept after reading this issue (one claiming it was for the loss of innocence). Not that I believe they actually did. But I'm still from an early enough American generation to find men claiming to act like overly dramatic little girls just a little bit cringe-making.

No, what I did was confess my reaction to such dramatic displays, and even in doing so was careful not to single anyone out. This is no more an insult than expressing other likes and dislikes. Let's use a silly example: The fact that you might be disgusted by the taste of lemon cake in no way insults me for enjoying it. I confessed to be from a generation that believes where little girls can be expected to carry on in overly dramatic ways in public, grown men shouldn't. I dislike it and always will.

http://fabletown.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=5902&sid=83d249607a39da430cba45c04452f82d#5902

droogiedroogie2 said:
Boy, if it has Supergirl in it...

Senseless retcon, yes, but it does reconcile with previous history because it gives a reason that history changed. But I didn't really get much enjoyment out of Batman Annual 25, no.

Not a retcon.

...? You refer perhaps to the people trapped in the post-Crisis pocket universe? Still not a retcon.

He called someone a queer? And again, it may be a retcon, it may be senseless, but it does reconcile with previous history. It's totally possible, going back and reading War Games, that Leslie could have killed Spoiler.

So what standard are you using, that any silly Marvel retcon that you're presumably upset about, is presumably worse than any silly DC retcon that you're presumably okay with (and/or don't believe is a retcon)?

The Hero said:
To equate that with Willingham calling guys queers is almost as homophobic as what you're accusing him of. Since when does a guy crying like a little girl equal homosexuality? He doesn't specifically suggest homosexuality. He suggests certain gender role restrictions which I am not particularly comfortable with, but I don't see homophobia there.

fifthfiend said:
So what standard are you using, that any silly Marvel retcon that you're presumably upset about, is presumably worse than any silly DC retcon that you're presumably okay with (and/or don't believe is a retcon)?
The standard I'm using is a case by case analysis. Characters changing because Donna died is not a retcon. And COIE is a perfectly explainable and adequately explained retcon. I don't see the same effort for reconciliation put into Marvel's retcons. Suddenly, they just up and publish Trouble.

anything written by Austen

droogiedroogie2 said:
To equate that with Willingham calling guys queers is almost as homophobic as what you're accusing him of. Since when does a guy crying like a little girl equal homosexuality? He doesn't specifically suggest homosexuality. He suggests certain gender role restrictions which I am not particularly comfortable with, but I don't see homophobia there.
We weren't saying that.We were making fun of the over-macho vibe to what he wrote.Overly-macho men usually accuse other men they think are weak of being gay.

in ultimate spidey, there was that issue after the hobgoblin end fight that was based solely around MJ, i didn't even bother getting to that

saying this, there were a lot of comics around the time of the reboot that were truelly horrific in 616 spidey.

The Hero said:
We weren't saying that.We were making fun of the over-macho vibe to what he wrote.Overly-macho men usually accuse other men they think are weak of being gay.
Understood.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kathielee
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"