The Sinister Six Thread

Discussion in 'Spider-Man Sequels' started by Spider-Fan, Oct 10, 2020.

1. Spider-Fan SHHFFL 2014/2019 Champion

I decided to make a thread dedicated to what we all know is coming. Whether it be in MCU Spider-Man 3 or sometime after, the Sinister Six will be coming. But the path to assembling them and when they will appear is less clear.

So, what do we know so far?

Vulture is easiest to start with. He was in Homecoming and the trailer for Morbius shows he will be gracing our screens again. Granted there is some question about why he would join given he was not really outright evil, but he is a classic member of the team and there is clearly future plans for him. So, easy insert.

Mysterio comes next to discuss. But wait, didn't he die in FFH? Maybe he did, maybe he didn't. Mysterio is an illusionist, so they can easily explain him being alive as well....fooled ya! But even if Beck is dead, we could always see someone else take up the mantle. Mysterio was more an idea anyway, so bringing in a character like Danny Burkhart (the 2nd comics Mysterio) could be an easy solution. But more likely, I just see his death being a trick. I think we can safely put him on the list as well.

Electro coming to the next movie broke the internet. Especially given we are seeing Jamie Foxx return. I am not excited about this really at all. But I will ignore that for this discussion. We do not know for sure if he is the literal same Electro from TASM2 or not, but regardless. Classic member of the team. Clearly he was selected for a reason. I think adding him is safe.

Past these 3, certainty becomes less clear. We know some candidates, but not who actually will join.

Kraven at one point seemed a lock for MCU Spider-Man 3's villain. But Sony for a while has talked about doing a solo Kraven film. This seemed confusing when the Sony verse and MCU seemed to be different entities, but it feels like the 2 are more connected than we thought given the connection between Homecoming and Morbius with Toomes appearing in Morbius. Reports by the writer indicate Spider-Man is part of the movie. I think this signals likely intent to include him on the team. But I think it hinges on Sony and Marvel Studios playing nice.

Scorpion was introduced in Homecoming in his non powered form. He alluded to having friends on the outside. Does this mean he will return for revenge, this time maybe with a Scorpion suit? I think it is logical, but when will we see this come to pass is the real question? Still, they had to throw that idea out there for a reason, right?

Shocker was a minor villain in Homecoming. He has ties to Toomes. Would seem logical for Toomes to bring his friend along to bring down the Spider, but is the character maybe too low tier to be used again? I think if we assume that Vulture, Mysterio, and Electro are safe bets, that Shocker becomes unlikely if both Kraven and another bigger name villain appear.

Morbius has been a foe of Spider-Man in the comics. He is getting his own movie. Toomes is in the movie. Will Toomes maybe try and recruit the newly minted vampire to join his friends and cause some trouble? I think teasing the Sinister Six in the movie is possible, but I have a hard time believing this likely anti-hero version of Morbius will have any real need to join this team. Still, he is someone to add to this list of possible members, even if unlikely.

Venom actor Tom Hardy has hinted at wanting to cross over with Tom Holland. He is a traditional Spider-Man villain. But like Morbius, this is Lethal Protector Venom. I don't see him joining a villain squad. So chances are remote at best.

Then there is the issue of leader. Really 2 names standout:

Green Goblin was meant to form the team in TASM franchise should it have continued. He has the resources. He is the arch-enemy of Spider-Man. It would make sense to use him to assemble the team.

Doc Ock
    is the traditional team leader. We also have not seen the male version since SM2, but we did see female Ock in a multiverse spanning movie. Could this female Ock from Spiderverse be our leader? Or may we see a more traditional Master Planner Ock introduced?

We also have the question of Multiverse. Is Electro our only villain from possibly another world? Or may we see another return of a prior Spider-Man villain returning in the franchise? Like, Thomas Haden Church as Sandman? He did survive SM3 and floated off somewhere. Yeah he seemed done with crime,, but maybe he regressed? Or what Alfred Molina as Doc Ock or even Willem Dafoe as Norman. Both died in their respective films, but maybe they get the JK Simmons treatment and return as parallel versions in the MCU?

There is a lot of possibilities. Lots to discuss. How do you all see it playing out?

My guess:

Vulture, Mysterio, Electro, Scorpion, Kraven, and led by Doc Ock. My bet is Electro is a secondary villain in the new Spider-Man, but the main is likely Doc Ock. What his plan is and such, no clue. But that is my current guess. Also undecided if they will give us a new version, a parallel version, or whatever. I think they will want Norman as an ongoing future threat. Maybe just as Norman the businessman for a few movies before turning him Goblin. So Ock makes more sense to me.

#1 Spider-Fan, Oct 10, 2020
    Last edited: Oct 10, 2020
    Iceman likes this.
  2. The Infernal Mky Mk

My worry is this dimension hopping Sinister Six is just a variation on Sony's plans around the time of the hack. They were cooking up some terrible nonsense that has everybody laughing at them. I just want to see something resembling the classic villain team trying to take down Spider-man.

[​IMG]

Personally I don't think Venom or Morbius have any place on a Sinister Six team. They're both anti-heroes, not villains in Sony's movies. I don't want a hero team like Sony were planning before. Kraven isn't a natural fit either, but at least he's a straight up villain.

And no DeHaan Harry/Green Goblin. Not even once. I don't want to see such a bastardisation of story and character again.

Green Goblin and Spider-Fan like this.
  3. GuestStar2004 Registered

Well if that comic is anything to go by they certainly have those villains used already.

Doc ock and sandman from Raimi-verse

Electro and maybe green goblin from TASM'verse

And Vulture and Mysterio from MCU.

Venom in the Sonyverse is not a villain. he is an anti-hero. while Brock is more a grounded guy. one day they will do a cross over with Spider-man, but its not gonna be like the comics.

4. Venom 1988 formerly Ultimate_Venom

I'm still not feeling the idea of a multiverse Sinister Six, so my picks are based on the idea that it's solely villains from the main MCU:

Vulture
    Mysterio
    Electro
    Shocker (hopefully with an upgraded suit and equipment)
    Scorpion

The 6th member is a toughie for me and I'd imagine it's gonna be whoever the 2nd villain is in SM3 (cause we all know its probably not just Electro). Ideally it would be Doc Ock as the leader if he's indeed in this movie. If not, I don't know if there's enough time for Ock to establish himself as a villain as well as him creating and leading a team for revenge against Spidery since it seems Sony is wanting Sinister Six sooner than later.

If Ock is not the 2nd villain and it ends up being say Kraven since he's been rumored, then I'd guess I'd have Vulture be the leader of the team. I know people pegged him to be the Sandman of the group (he wants revenge but is a bit reluctant for family reasons) but based on Keaton's portrayal in Homecoming I can easily see this version being a leader. Alternatively, this version of Mysterio wouldn't be a bad choice as a leader either.

5. Frodo Registered

At this point, as far as speculation goes,nothing is off the table in terms of who will be part of the sinister six,and which version of the character will be part of the Sinister six.

I also think that the fact a character has been used before in another iteration shouldn't be automatically dismissed as possibly appearing in the S6 or SM3.

Feige and Sony have never stated that they wouldn't use Doc Ock, GG, Sandman, Electro, Rhino, etc, ever again. That may have been an assumption ,but there's never been anything to indicate they wouldn't appear eventually in the MCU let alone another Spiderman film.

They're bringing in Dr Doom, The F4, and The X Men, so you can bet they'll eventually bring in Doc Ock and other classic Spiderman villains.

I would be reluctant to proclaim, " That actor would never appear again !" or " Marvel wouldn't do that!".

We just don't know what's going on behind the scenes , what discussions are taking place, and what vision Sony and Marvel have for handling the Spiderman franchise going forward.

I think the assumption in fandom was the SM3 would be a film in which Peter was on the run after his identity was exposed and that Kraven would be hunting him.

I think given the recent casting revelations, rumors, and tea leaf reading, SM3 is possibly going to be a film with a much wider scope than Peter just fighting 1 villain and completing senior year.

Like Flashpoint at WB, SM3 looks like it could be an event film as opposed to a smaller conclusion to the first three films.

6. Spider-Fan SHHFFL 2014/2019 Champion

I do not see Vulture as a leader for Sinister Six. Yeah, both Vulture and Mysterio led their own respective teams, but one of the issues with the Sinister Six as a concept should be they are full of take charge alphas and get in each others way. Part of the fun. Also, they led a team of guys lower level than themselves. The leader of this team needs to be a higher level than them. Not an equal. That will only be a character like Ock or Gobby.

I am not crazy about the multiverse Sinister Six either. But, at minimum it appears 1 of them will be from another universe. He could be the only one possibly, but I am not writing off the possibility that another one is. I have a strong preference for some version of Ock leading this team. The Sinister Six should be the end of phase 1 of Holland's Spider-Man saga. I think Norman could be the head villain of an entire second phase himself, and Ock to me is just more classic. We have seen Goblins in the live action movies more recently than Ock, as well. Yeah, they sucked. But that is also why I am partly burnt out on Goblins right now.

#6 Spider-Fan, Oct 10, 2020
    Last edited: Oct 10, 2020
  7. Albright Eehh...

upload_2020-10-11_16-38-47.jpeg
    That’s my lineup. don‘t know whom I replace with Scorpion. Maybe Scorpion dies pretty soon and Mysterio surprises with not being dead and replacing him.

Definitely no to Shocker (because boring), Morbius (should be an antihero and have connections to Blade) and Venom (definitely needs to face Spiderman alone)
    Same for Green Goblin - he needs an epic encounter on his own

8. Arachnerd The White Portuguese

All I ask for is Master Planner Ock please.

9. Spider-Fan SHHFFL 2014/2019 Champion

After thinking on it, I think if we get Electro and maybe Sandman in this movie, then Kraven likely is out as Scorpion would likely be in his place.

Also, all the yes to Master Planner Ock!!!!

10. Albright Eehh...

I think with the reported Kraven movie its even more likely to get Kraven in HC3. There he‘ll be the vilain and in his own he‘ll be the misunderstood protagonist antihero...

11. The Infernal Mky Mk

A couple of novel ideas struck me if this were to be a cross dimension Sinister six.

1. Roderick Kingsley's Hobgoblin could be considered for membership without having to worry about setting up any other Goblin characters. Green Goblin should never be a member imo.

2. You could have two Mysterios (hear me out). I've said before that Mysterio could use an assistant/body double that really plays on the magician's sleight of hand stage act he has going on. Though it being multi-dimensional you could have the second Mysterio either be Daniel Berkhart or a Quentin Beck from another dimension. Either way I know who would be great to play him...

[​IMG]

SkullDevil likes this.
  12. Arachnerd The White Portuguese

Hell yes to you-know-who playing Mysterio.

The Infernal likes this.
  13. GuestStar2004 Registered

fandomwire says there will indeed be ALOT of villains in the movie.

He says Electro is in it, new look and suit. but its the same one from TASM2. and that SM1 green goblin could appear, or at least the goblin costume since Osborn is still assumed dead. and Kraven, Scorpion, Vulture, Mysterio also. with the possibility of more.

Marvel/Sony apparently want a big final battle for the final of the trilogy. which is where the spider-men come into it.

#13 GuestStar2004, Oct 13, 2020
    Last edited: Oct 13, 2020
  14. TheFuture Valar Dohaeris

How reliable is fandomwire?

If it's multiverse my picks would be Scorpion and Vulture from MCU; Electro from TASM; Sandman and GG from Raimi verse.....and new guy as Kraven.

Michael Mando, Michael Keaton, Jamie Foxx, Willem Dafoe and Thomas Hayden Church would be some ensemble. Can't see Molina returning as just not enough time to dedicate to the subplot between him and Maguire.

15. Albright Eehh...

If Sinister Six, then only with (fishbowl) Mysterio

16. Venom 1988 formerly Ultimate_Venom

Fandom Wire is not a reputable source.

17. Spider-Fan SHHFFL 2014/2019 Champion

Fandom Wire to my knowledge ain't Vanity Fair....but they also ain't We Got This Covered. So, it is something to pay attention to, but still could be false.

Grain of salt essentially.

18. GuestStar2004 Registered

Apparently Daniel Richtman posted it on his Patreon some time before Fandomwire. so some are speculating whether they both heard from source or whether Fandomwire just took from Daniel Richtman

19. Arachnerd The White Portuguese

Cool fan art by BossLogic.

SpeterMan3 and The Infernal like this.
  20. The Infernal Mky Mk

If they were to have a Goblin on the team then I wouldn't mind James Franco as an alternate version of Hobgoblin with the classic costume adapted in some way. Though having Dafoe return would be great too. Anything but DeHaan's Green Goblin at least.

I'm also noticing not much is being said about Scorpion despite the first movie setting up Mac Gargan. I'm wondering if he's going to Sony eventually and that's why they're holding off on him.

Shocker is still out there too, but personally I'd skip him being on the Six when you have potential bigger names as candidates. I'd still like to see him return at some point in his comic costume though.

21. venom892 Coming Home

If it were solely an MCU Six

Vulture
    Mysterio
    Shocker
    Scorpion
    Electro
    Ock

Interdimensional

Sandman(Raimi)
    Electro(ASM)
    Rhino(ASM)
    Scorpion(MCU)
    Mysterio(MCU)
    Vulture(MCU)

With Norman Osborn(Raimi) Revealed as the mastermind. They can adapt the whole Europe storyline from the comics to skirt around his death.

22. Arachnerd The White Portuguese

Eh. It wouldn't feel right to me to exclude Doc Ock from the Sinister Six.

Nardz937 and Spider-Fan like this.
  23. Spider-Fan83 with great power...

Ive always thought of S6 as a D&D (RPG) style team, where each member brings something unique to the group ... you typically have different classes such as
    Tank :
    Range:
    Healer/supply surport:
    Flyer:
    Wizard/power :
    Rogue /stealth :
    So who of characters we've already seen or could be easily introduced fits these roles best
    As you don't want too many of the same character type in a party

24. Toomes' Phone Registered

My ideal lineup:

Doctor Octopus (Raimi)
    Sandman (Raimi)
    Vulture
    Mysterio
    Electro
    Kraven

The line up I think we'll end up with

Vulture
    Mysterio
    Electro
    Shocker
    Scorpion
    Kraven

I can't be 100% sure Ock will be included until they cast him, so they could go for a lineup without him and with Mysterio as the leader, since he's MCU Spidey's most personal adversary at this point.

25. Spider-Fan SHHFFL 2014/2019 Champion

I do not think Shocker will be in it. It will either be Gobby or Ock for that last spot.