Dark Phoenix The Sophie Turner/Jean Grey/Phoenix Thread

Oh the person who was babbling for days about how this $160-$200 million movie will be released straight to DVD for the good of the MCU, hates the look of Phoenix? The one thing that seems to have gotten near universal approval (at least by social media standards) just grinds his gears?

giphy.gif

:up:

Sophie Turner on Dark Phoenix

Sophie Turner knows how important the Dark Phoenix storyline is to X-Men fans. As a kid in England, she read Jean Grey’s saga and connected to it. “Apparently, they were my favorite comics,” she says. “It’s just kind of funny I ended up playing her.”

But she also knows the pressure that surrounds both the saga and the role. “Are you kidding me? I’m so nervous. As you say, it’s one of the most iconic storylines so revered and popular. I guess the response to the third movie wasn’t great and there’s definitely a pressure to do it justice. I really believe in Simon [Kinberg] and I believe in all the work we did and I really really hope we did do it justice and I think we did but I hope the audience responds to it well.”

The actress, who plays Sansa Stark on HBO’s Game of Thrones, did not take the massive role lightly. She and director Simon Kinberg rehearsed for weeks prior to shooting and Turner studied multiple personality disorder and schizophrenia to capture Jean’s internal struggle.

It’s an emotionally and physically intense performance that also required a lot of green screen work as Phoenix’s fiery power grows (and Jean’s hair becomes a mass of flames). “I have a lot of respect now but people who work in heavy CGI movies where you feel like such an idiot doing it but you have to commit,” she says. “I think people think it’s like a vanity thing to play a superhero and to be in the cool costumes but you really have to put any ego aside to be wearing a bald cap, floating around.”

Due to the intensity of the role, Turner admits she kept a very regimented schedule. “I think I had like two nights of proper partying and on a five-month shoot that’s not very much,” laughs the 21-year-old actress. “It was funny the first night that I went to bed early we were all at like this big group dinner and I had to work the next day and I was like, ‘Guys it’s 9 p.m. and I really have to be in bed.’ All the producers were so shocked because they know me and they were like, ‘Are you okay?’ You only really get one shot at something like this. I was like ‘I cannot mess this up with a hangover.'”

I literally can't wait. She sounds like she's giving it a million per cent

Great to read all that from Sophie. She sounds dedicated to the role and knows how important it is in X-Men history.

as one who likes sophie as jean,yeah i like famke better,i look forward to seeing what she is given in dark phoenix.with x-men being taken away from me i will need something postive.

Darker shade of Grey, that should be a topic name ;)

I wish they just brought her back and just make her look younger through CGI or make up.

The Famke one made her look more, zombie-like. Discolored skin, black eyes, etc. The Sophie one literally looks like either fire is burning her skin away, or she's reforming her body with fire.

Sophie's passion is really making me stoked to see how she brings her A game. All that's needed now is the trailer, something, a small clip. I have no doubt she's going to knock it out of the park.

Well...being interested in the role doesn't necessarily bring a good performance. I heard Jennifer Lawrence has no interest in X-Men but her performances are pretty decent.

We'll see...I'm on the fence with Ms Turner...but I am biased as I always felt Jean Grey was too powerful a character for X-Men movies (she really defeats the point of close quarters combat when she can find out her opponents with her thoughts and give them strokes). Plus being the Phoenix she is literally a God.

Too bad Disney won't have Fox in time to include Ms Turner in the whole Infinity saga thing. She would have been useful against Thanos.

Personally I prefer Emma Frost to the Phoenix, as she is more vulnerable and the personality is more interesting to watch in comics (albeit I would probably hate somebody like that if they were real).

I think Sophie is up to the task. That's not my worry.

It's all the other characters and the way they are deployed that is so worrying.

Some people are saying Sophie might be preggers. We will see in a few months. I think she’s schedule to do a late night interview soon too.

Hopefully Sophie comes off really well here. Would love to see that passion for the role rewarded.

She’s giving it everything she’s got! I hope Sophie and Alexandra both get tons of roles after this

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MartyMcFly1985
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"