World "The Spectacular Spider-Man" Appreciation Thread (possible spoilers)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Indeed...Or atleast have Greg tell us what his ideas were for season 3...so we had some sort of closure.

One thing this show di REALLY great was introduce the villains WAY before they actually get in costume. It sort of establishes a world that is just beginning. Super powered people are just now starting to emerge, where every other Spidey toon I've seen, Spidey is showing up late in the game and a few of his supervillains have been around long before he showed up.

Also, when you really look at someone like Eddie, his story rivals a villain from BTAS. While he's generally a good guy, who does have morals, he does have some problems that started to slip out as the season went on. His parents died when he was young, he was bounced around from foster home to foster home as a child, and not being wanted obviously has affected him to the point where he's become very petty and relies on a parasite to "love" him. So much to the point that he forces himself to hate Peter/Spider-Man just to keep the symbiote which is just using him to feed off of his negative emotions. From his last appearance, it seems that he doesn't even know why he hates Peter anymore...he forces himself to. I remember wondering why he didn't just put two and two together of Peter's little mishaps when the symbiote first showed him the truth behind Spider-Man. However by Identity Crisis, I'm sure he understood why Peter seemed to be screwing people over...he just doesn't care anymore. He truly is a broken man...although he's only 19, you can't help but feel sorry for him.

The series had my all time favorite version of Eddie Brock. With what you just described,he was really given purpose and fleshed out quite a bit in the series. I also loved the idea of having him as one of Peter's best friends instead of just being a rival photographer. It really made things personal for Eddie once he did gain the symbiote.

The series had my all time favorite version of Eddie Brock. With what you just described,he was really given purpose and fleshed out quite a bit in the series. I also loved the idea of having him as one of Peter's best friends instead of just being a rival photographer. It really made things personal for Eddie once he did gain the symbiote.

Agreed. Making Peter and Eddie friends allowed for more interesting stories. Peter's childhood friend had now become one of his worst foes. And unlike other versions, this Venom actually used the info he had and come pretty close to beating Spider-man. Had he succeeded both Peter and his loved ones would have been at the mercy of the criminal underworld and Peter would have been powerless to do anything. Big Man probably would have had Aunt May taken out within an hour. And at that time, villains like Doc Ock, Vulture, Rhino, Kraven, and I think the Enforcers were at large.

I wasn't too crazy about his voice TBH though.

Never realised Cletus made an appearance in Spectacular as well as the other cameos. Makes me wonder what could have been..

My favorite episode will always be episode 7 "Catalyst" we meet Mary Jane.

Goblin's banter is awesome I.e. Spider-Man: "Isn't that a felony?" Goblin: "I hope so. This little Goblin wouldn't be caught dead committing a misdemeanor."

Last edited:
My favorite episode will always be episode 7 "Catalyst" we meet Mary Jane.

Goblin's banter is awesome I.e. Spider-Man: "Isn't that a felony?" Goblin: "I hope so. Tho little Goblin wouldn't be caught dead committing a misdemeanor."
I know it's been awhile since I've seen that episode, but I don't remember that part. But I do remember that there were some pretty funny moments in that episode. Like after Goblin does something cool with his glider [can't remember what it was].
Spider-Man: Wow. Just wow.

He was gliding backwards, about to crash into a building. He does a backflip over the building and lands on the glider.

Iconic moment that needs to be in TASM2 or TASM3.

I'm finally watching this absolute gem of a show. Definitely geared towards kids but some of these episodes are blowing me away with how close to the comics they are plot and feel-wise! Lots of good use of lesser known characters going on and great voice acting for the most part. Currently my favorite show :)

I'm reading Amazing Spiderman comics from issue 1 as I watch the show too. Cool to see how they tried to stay very true to Spidey's roots despite many obvious superficial changes to some stuff.

We know Weisman wanted to do direct-to-DVD movies after the show would have ended in season five.

If only...

gwen_stacy__s_death_by_dtaina-d593lmj.png

green_goblin__s_death_by_dtaina-d593lvi.png

Maybe "Ultimate Spider-Man" will do this........

:pal:

"Ultimate Spider-Man" do this... I make myself laugh...

Those would have never happened on the show even if it hadn't been cancelled. Way too dark unfortunately. I'd love to see it though.

Those would have never happened on the show even if it hadn't been cancelled. Way too dark unfortunately. I'd love to see it though.

No, but it could have happened in those direct-to-DVD animated films Weisman said he would have loved to have done after season five about Peter in college.

Yeah I think in a DTV they can get away with more than on TV. For instance, in Batman Mask Of The Phantasm, the Phantasm and Joker were allowed to kill people and the fights were violent.(Joker gets a tooth knocked out and both he and Batman bleed) The actual TV series never would have allowed that.

I would love to see an adult Spider-man animated movie or cartoon. I think that pretty much every toon' created has been geared more for kids.

A while back someone posted a comparison between Spider-Man's fight with the Lizard in "Natural Selection" and ASM 44 that showed the staging and composition to be almost identical. I think it went down with the old TSSM board, but does anyone here still have them?

I would love to see an adult Spider-man animated movie or cartoon. I think that pretty much every toon' created has been geared more for kids.

The MTV show. However it wasn't as well received as Spectacular or the 90s show.

We're running a little Spectacular Spider-Man support day over at the Facebook group on Tuesday, September 18. Check it out here: https://www.facebook.com/events/352768124812089/

In case you don't use the Zuckbook:

Sony's "The Amazing Spider-Man" film has been solicited, but there is still no word on "The Spectacular Spider-Man" season 2 on DVD, or the complete series on Blu-ray. The series also isn't currently available on Netflix or Crackle. We need to show them that there's demand for these releases, and that it needs to stay in the public eye and remain accessible for new fans to discover. On Tuesday, September 18, show your support by doing the following:

1) Purchase digital episodes of TSSM in whatever format they are available in your region. (In North America, they can be found on iTunes and PlayStation Network.) You can purchase your favourite episode, a season, or even the entire series if you wish. Just spend money on digital episodes.

2) Fire an e-mail to Sony Pictures at [email protected] telling them that you purchased the episode(s), and that they need to release the complete season 2 on DVD, the complete series on Blu-Ray Disc, and must do everything they can to get TSSM on more streaming services like Netflix and Crackle. Or even better, give them a call at 1-800-860-2878.

Spread the word to as many people as you can! If you haven't done so, please join our Facebook Group: https://www.facebook.com/groups/174295922428/

Last edited:
Didn't know this thread existed.

I kinda want to address the people that are upset over the show being cancelled. I get everyone is dissapointed it got cancelled. Me included. But if you think about it, the show's cancellation wasn't entirely in vain. In fact, I would argue the "spirit" of the show still lives in the Spider-Man movie reboot. Brace yourselves. Long rant is coming :).

I'll say that I loved The Spectacular Spider-Man. I agree with everyone saying it's the best adaptation of the character we've had so far and that it is up there with shows like Batman TAS and JLU in terms of quality. If not, it would have definitely reached/surpassed that level if it kept going. I would go as far as to say that TSSM is the best Marvel show we've had to date (though I only recently started watching Avengers EMH which is in second place at the moment IMO; it may surpass it in my eyes after I finish the series but for now, it's in second place on my list) and in many ways, it is my ideal Spider-Man show based on what it was trying to be and based on the way it organized itself - taking Peter from his high school years as Spidey to his college years to adulthood, introducing the villains before they become supervillains, focusing only on Spidey's side of the Marvel universe and featuring as many characters from the comics as possible, being mostly based on Amazing with a few influences from Ultimate and other sources, multiple story arcs like the comics, adapting certain stories from the comics as the story moves, developing all the characters, and balancing out Peter's superhero life with his personal life are all things I wanted to see a Spider-Man show do before TSSM even came out and I remember even pitching a Spider-Man series that was similar to this.

As for the live-action movies, I was never really a big fan of the Raimi films. I thought the first film was ok but the dialogue made it cringeworthy to watch at times and the Green Goblin had no real motivation for anything he did after killing the people that fired Osborn (him). Spider-Man 2 was very well done though. And Spider-Man 3...yeah. I don't have to get into that. We established it sucks long ago. But even though the first 2 movies were not exactly bad movies, they weren't that good Spider-Man movies to begin with. They weren't exactly the worst thing to come out of Spider-Man but they lacked heavily as adaptations. Spidey was no wisecracker except for 1 or 2 lines in each film which didn't come out that great and funny to begin with nor was he shown to be a genius and use his brain in battles. Tobey's Peter was decent but also lacked a lot of what makes Peter Parker. Peter is supposed to be a nerd but not the silly George McFly type of nerd, which is what Tobey came off as a lot of the time. Even in the 60's comics, when nerds being the stereotypical nerds was a lot more common, Peter still wasn't exactly a complete stereotypical nerd. Raimi's portrayal of MJ? Sorry but not a good portrayal of MJ. Kirsten Dunst's portrayal of MJ? Not even a good portrayal of Raimi's bad portrayal of MJ. JK Simmons was great as JJJ (I'll admit that). The tone was also too cheesy and campy when they should have been more serious like the comics. Spidey comics aren't exactly Batman or Punisher dark but they're not campy either. I also felt the time period they take place in wasn't a good choice. They took place in the 21st century yet a lot of the characters looked and talked like they were from the 1960's. The franchise would have worked better as a period piece due to that. Overall, I don't think anyone can deny the franchise had far more potential as Spider-Man flicks.

Spider-Man 4 didn't look any better. Not only the acting and portrayal problems I listed above wouldn't have changed due to it being in the same continuity but based on what they were planning, it sounded like it would have been just as bad as Spider-Man 3. First of all, Vulture is a good villain but he can't carry a movie by himself, which is what Raimi wanted. And second, Felicia Hardy was going to be in it but instead of being the Black Cat, she would've been Toomes' daughter and would've became the Vultress as opposed to Black Cat. That sounds worse than what they did with Venom. Not to mention Raimi admitted he couldn't come up with any good idea and was too busy with other projects and knew he couldn't put his full effort into the film which is why he walked away, a decision I respect the man for. Dunst and Tobey said they wouldn't do another film without Raimi so recasting BOTH leading roles wouldn't have worked too well with the general audience IMO. Sony had 2 choices - either continue with the bad direction SM4 was going in or reboot the franchise and give the TV rights back to Marvel to get a short extension, which lead to the cancellation of TSSM. They went with the latter and the product we got was obviously The Amazing Spider-Man which is in my opinion, and also in the majority's opinion, a far better adaptation and Spidey characterization than the previous franchise due to reasons brought up and discussed over and over again that I won't get into (Garfield being a fantastic Peter/Spidey and far better than Tobey, a Spidey that is a wisecracker, webshooters and Spidey intelligence present, Gwen Stacy and a love interest played well and accurate, better tone and more modern take, etc.). Some people will argue that it's not exactly a masterpiece which I agree with. However, they set up the universe and characters fantastically and left tons of easter eggs and things to explore. The sequels have huge potential to be Spidey's The Dark Knight in terms of quality. Spidey finally got the movie franchise he always deserved.

I know some of you will say that TSSM didn't have to be cancelled since Sony could have kept the TV rights and give back the movie rights to Marvel and then we would have had both a good Spider-Man TV series and a good movie reboot but if you think about it, Spidey's movies are better off with Sony for 1 of these 2 reasons (or both):

1) Marvel is way too busy now with Avengers films and films leading up to Avengers films. If the rights went back, Spidey would be shelved for a while just like how Daredevil, the Punisher, and Blade all got shelved. No one knows when we could have gotten another Spider-Man film again.

2) Spidey's movies are safe at Sony from the wrath of Quesada, who would have had a say and some power over them if the rights went back. Don't kid yourself for a second that it's not a possibility. The man is clearly doing his best to ruin anything Spidey related. He ruined the Amazing comics with One More Day and is soon cancelling it. He made the Ultimate comics even worse by killing off Peter at his prime to replace him with a character he admitted was only created for racial pandering. I'm pretty sure he is part of the reason why Beenox isn't given more than one year time to work on a Spidey game (the TASM game being the first exception) which is why we keep getting half-a**** Spidey games. He ruined Spidey in animation with that Ultimate Spider-Man crap. The movies are the only thing left. I guarantee you that down the road, he would have stuck his nose in the Spidey movies too. Maybe not in the first movie but most likely in one of the sequels. Hell, TSSM is the perfect example of what happens when you give a Spidey property back into Quesada's hands. Sony was responsible for everything that made TSSM great. TV rights went back to Marvel and Quesada immediately ruined Spidey in that medium with Ultimate Spider-Man.

But on top of the reboot not being able to exist now if it weren't for Spectacular's "sacrifice", part of the reason why TASM was so good is also due to Spectacular. Someone from Sony said all the way back that Spectacular influenced TASM a bit since Spectacular was the first attempt at combining the best elements from Amazing with the best elements from Ultimate and was successful at doing that so they used Spectacular as a "guide" for that at first. Wish I could still find the site where I read that. I'm also pretty sure the idea of Gwen working for Connors was also taken from Spectacular.

Basically, my whole point is that Spectacular Spider-Man's success and cancellation not only lead to the TASM movie being made but also partly influenced it. I still would have liked the show to continue but because it paved the path for the reboot, I've come to grips with it for the most part and I think the "soul" or "spirit" (or whatever the hell you want to call it) of the show is still alive and continues in the reboot. As long as the reboot continues to be good, a bit of Spectacular is still alive IMO. So I'm good for the most part :).

However, this does NOT excuse the abomination that is Ultimate Spider-Man. Marvel should have at least put their full effort into making a Spidey show that is actually well written and that is an actual Spidey show, meaning that Spidey actually ACTS like Spidey as opposed to a complete narcissistic irresponsible a**hole. Some people will defend the show by saying "Well, they wanted to do something different from the other Spidey shows!" Well, I can think of better ways you can do a better show than Ultimate Spider-Man while still making a unique type of Spidey show compared to the other ones. Heck, I can probably even take USM's formula and basic concept and make a better show than what we got. I also don't buy the whole "it's for kids!" BS. That line has been used so many times in the past decade that it became just an excuse and defense for horrible writing in general. Someone on a different thread quoted these words from an author whose name I forgot: "I don't write stories for kids. I write stories, and then someone else says "that's for kids"".

Wow. That is way too long. Doubt anyone will read that. :dry:

Eh, I'd trade ASM for SSM....but that's just me...(
I was actually hoping for a relationship between Spidey and Capt. Stacy as shown in SSM...but alas.

I was rewathing the Goblin episodes trying to listen to Blum's Goblin, while trying to imagine Rachin's Norman Osborn saying the same things in the same tone...it's kinda scary to know how absolutely nuts Norman was.

Last edited:
Wow. That is way too long. Doubt anyone will read that. :dry:

I read it. It was a well constructed post. Though I don't agree with all of your opinions about the Raimi movies, I still enjoyed reading it.

Didn't know this thread existed.

I kinda want to address the people that are upset over the show being cancelled. I get everyone is dissapointed it got cancelled. Me included. But if you think about it, the show's cancellation wasn't entirely in vain. In fact, I would argue the "spirit" of the show still lives in the Spider-Man movie reboot. Brace yourselves. Long rant is coming :).

I'll say that I loved The Spectacular Spider-Man. I agree with everyone saying it's the best adaptation of the character we've had so far and that it is up there with shows like Batman TAS and JLU in terms of quality. If not, it would have definitely reached/surpassed that level if it kept going. I would go as far as to say that TSSM is the best Marvel show we've had to date (though I only recently started watching Avengers EMH which is in second place at the moment IMO; it may surpass it in my eyes after I finish the series but for now, it's in second place on my list) and in many ways, it is my ideal Spider-Man show based on what it was trying to be and based on the way it organized itself - taking Peter from his high school years as Spidey to his college years to adulthood, introducing the villains before they become supervillains, focusing only on Spidey's side of the Marvel universe and featuring as many characters from the comics as possible, being mostly based on Amazing with a few influences from Ultimate and other sources, multiple story arcs like the comics, adapting certain stories from the comics as the story moves, developing all the characters, and balancing out Peter's superhero life with his personal life are all things I wanted to see a Spider-Man show do before TSSM even came out and I remember even pitching a Spider-Man series that was similar to this.

As for the live-action movies, I was never really a big fan of the Raimi films. I thought the first film was ok but the dialogue made it cringeworthy to watch at times and the Green Goblin had no real motivation for anything he did after killing the people that fired Osborn (him). Spider-Man 2 was very well done though. And Spider-Man 3...yeah. I don't have to get into that. We established it sucks long ago. But even though the first 2 movies were not exactly bad movies, they weren't that good Spider-Man movies to begin with. They weren't exactly the worst thing to come out of Spider-Man but they lacked heavily as adaptations. Spidey was no wisecracker except for 1 or 2 lines in each film which didn't come out that great and funny to begin with nor was he shown to be a genius and use his brain in battles. Tobey's Peter was decent but also lacked a lot of what makes Peter Parker. Peter is supposed to be a nerd but not the silly George McFly type of nerd, which is what Tobey came off as a lot of the time. Even in the 60's comics, when nerds being the stereotypical nerds was a lot more common, Peter still wasn't exactly a complete stereotypical nerd. Raimi's portrayal of MJ? Sorry but not a good portrayal of MJ. Kirsten Dunst's portrayal of MJ? Not even a good portrayal of Raimi's bad portrayal of MJ. JK Simmons was great as JJJ (I'll admit that). The tone was also too cheesy and campy when they should have been more serious like the comics. Spidey comics aren't exactly Batman or Punisher dark but they're not campy either. I also felt the time period they take place in wasn't a good choice. They took place in the 21st century yet a lot of the characters looked and talked like they were from the 1960's. The franchise would have worked better as a period piece due to that. Overall, I don't think anyone can deny the franchise had far more potential as Spider-Man flicks.

Spider-Man 4 didn't look any better. Not only the acting and portrayal problems I listed above wouldn't have changed due to it being in the same continuity but based on what they were planning, it sounded like it would have been just as bad as Spider-Man 3. First of all, Vulture is a good villain but he can't carry a movie by himself, which is what Raimi wanted. And second, Felicia Hardy was going to be in it but instead of being the Black Cat, she would've been Toomes' daughter and would've became the Vultress as opposed to Black Cat. That sounds worse than what they did with Venom. Not to mention Raimi admitted he couldn't come up with any good idea and was too busy with other projects and knew he couldn't put his full effort into the film which is why he walked away, a decision I respect the man for. Dunst and Tobey said they wouldn't do another film without Raimi so recasting BOTH leading roles wouldn't have worked too well with the general audience IMO. Sony had 2 choices - either continue with the bad direction SM4 was going in or reboot the franchise and give the TV rights back to Marvel to get a short extension, which lead to the cancellation of TSSM. They went with the latter and the product we got was obviously The Amazing Spider-Man which is in my opinion, and also in the majority's opinion, a far better adaptation and Spidey characterization than the previous franchise due to reasons brought up and discussed over and over again that I won't get into (Garfield being a fantastic Peter/Spidey and far better than Tobey, a Spidey that is a wisecracker, webshooters and Spidey intelligence present, Gwen Stacy and a love interest played well and accurate, better tone and more modern take, etc.). Some people will argue that it's not exactly a masterpiece which I agree with. However, they set up the universe and characters fantastically and left tons of easter eggs and things to explore. The sequels have huge potential to be Spidey's The Dark Knight in terms of quality. Spidey finally got the movie franchise he always deserved.

I know some of you will say that TSSM didn't have to be cancelled since Sony could have kept the TV rights and give back the movie rights to Marvel and then we would have had both a good Spider-Man TV series and a good movie reboot but if you think about it, Spidey's movies are better off with Sony for 1 of these 2 reasons (or both):

1) Marvel is way too busy now with Avengers films and films leading up to Avengers films. If the rights went back, Spidey would be shelved for a while just like how Daredevil, the Punisher, and Blade all got shelved. No one knows when we could have gotten another Spider-Man film again.

2) Spidey's movies are safe at Sony from the wrath of Quesada, who would have had a say and some power over them if the rights went back. Don't kid yourself for a second that it's not a possibility. The man is clearly doing his best to ruin anything Spidey related. He ruined the Amazing comics with One More Day and is soon cancelling it. He made the Ultimate comics even worse by killing off Peter at his prime to replace him with a character he admitted was only created for racial pandering. I'm pretty sure he is part of the reason why Beenox isn't given more than one year time to work on a Spidey game (the TASM game being the first exception) which is why we keep getting half-a**** Spidey games. He ruined Spidey in animation with that Ultimate Spider-Man crap. The movies are the only thing left. I guarantee you that down the road, he would have stuck his nose in the Spidey movies too. Maybe not in the first movie but most likely in one of the sequels. Hell, TSSM is the perfect example of what happens when you give a Spidey property back into Quesada's hands. Sony was responsible for everything that made TSSM great. TV rights went back to Marvel and Quesada immediately ruined Spidey in that medium with Ultimate Spider-Man.

But on top of the reboot not being able to exist now if it weren't for Spectacular's "sacrifice", part of the reason why TASM was so good is also due to Spectacular. Someone from Sony said all the way back that Spectacular influenced TASM a bit since Spectacular was the first attempt at combining the best elements from Amazing with the best elements from Ultimate and was successful at doing that so they used Spectacular as a "guide" for that at first. Wish I could still find the site where I read that. I'm also pretty sure the idea of Gwen working for Connors was also taken from Spectacular.

Basically, my whole point is that Spectacular Spider-Man's success and cancellation not only lead to the TASM movie being made but also partly influenced it. I still would have liked the show to continue but because it paved the path for the reboot, I've come to grips with it for the most part and I think the "soul" or "spirit" (or whatever the hell you want to call it) of the show is still alive and continues in the reboot. As long as the reboot continues to be good, a bit of Spectacular is still alive IMO. So I'm good for the most part :).

However, this does NOT excuse the abomination that is Ultimate Spider-Man. Marvel should have at least put their full effort into making a Spidey show that is actually well written and that is an actual Spidey show, meaning that Spidey actually ACTS like Spidey as opposed to a complete narcissistic irresponsible a**hole. Some people will defend the show by saying "Well, they wanted to do something different from the other Spidey shows!" Well, I can think of better ways you can do a better show than Ultimate Spider-Man while still making a unique type of Spidey show compared to the other ones. Heck, I can probably even take USM's formula and basic concept and make a better show than what we got. I also don't buy the whole "it's for kids!" BS. That line has been used so many times in the past decade that it became just an excuse and defense for horrible writing in general. Someone on a different thread quoted these words from an author whose name I forgot: "I don't write stories for kids. I write stories, and then someone else says "that's for kids"".

Well thought out. I don't think Quesada is the only one I'd be wary of if Spidey's rights were returned to Marvel.

I'm watching this show again
This is not only the most accurate adaption of the Green Goblin, it has the best version of that villain, he never made me laugh while indulging himself in being an a**h*** in the comics

I just hope this fandom stays alive long enough for Marvel to acknowledge it. Some would call us a cult following but if we stick with it long enough perhaps when Ultimate ends in another 2 seasons or so Marvel will create a show more in the vain of Spectacular.

And next time, they should bring back Josh Keaton. They owe him after dubbing over his voice in the Avengers cartoon. :o

When it came to characters Peter was to meet in college, the show went backwards in terms of their personalities in order to watch them grow into what we saw when we first met them in college. We could see Harry going from being a whiny nerd to a big shot throughout the course of the show, starting up when he became part of the football team. I could even see him becoming good friends sooner or later with Flash now that we know that Kenny Kong and Randy Robertson are seniors and on their way out of M3.

Now with Gwen it's actually a little harder...she was always brilliant (always in Peter's higher classes), but she was a bombshell. Here they decided to do an ugly duckling story with Gwen. Where she starts off as an insecure nerdy girl, who becomes beautiful. Oddly I can't see her becoming the..."rhymes with witch" that Gwen was in her early college days. I'm not even sure if I could buy her hating Spider-Man and blaming him for her father's death...Even Harry seemed more disappointed with Spider-Man "killing" his father than outright hatrid.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MartyMcFly1985
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"