The Spider-Man 3 FAQ Thread

POWdER-man

Ancient but wise
Reaction score
Here is a list of FAQ that frequent the Spider-Man 3 (spoiler) forum. Since we would like to cut down on these repetitive questions showing up as new threads, I have decided to create this thread to deal with that problem.

There are two parts to this thread. The first part will list the most common questions that seem to come up, the remainder of thread is for anyone to post a general question about Spider-Man 3.

I would like to take a moment to thank Electroflare for the concept of this thread. He started a similiar thread, but it was agreed that more detail would be required.

Spider-Man 3 details

When will it come out?

International release date - May 4, 2007 (some markets are later check local guides)

SOURCE

When will we get the first teaser?
UPDATE June 15, 2006
Sony Pictures was originally targeting Talladega Nights": The Ballad of Ricky Bobby, but recent reports and information have changed this plan and the teaser will apparently run with Superman Returns.

SHH was first to report a fan provided information that the teaser will be released with Superman Returns.
http://superherohype.com/news.php?id=4319

This was later confirmed by information provided by AICN and JoBlo.

Whats the budget?

The cost of the movie will be approximately $250 Million. Reportedly, it will be the highest cost for a movie ever released.
SOURCE

UPDATE 5/15/06(Thanks cmill)

Escalating special effects costs have boosted the budget of Sony's Spider-Man 3, scheduled for release on May 4, 2007, to between $250 million and $300 million, the Wall Street Journal reported over the weekend, citing people close to the studio
SOURCE SOURCE

When did filming start?

Filming started in January, 2006, while certain preliminary test photography began in September, 2005.

SOURCE

On "possible" length of filming:SOURCE

What is the film about?

An Official synopsis has not been announced by Sony. The expected date for that announcement is TBA.

Sam Raimi Quotes on Spider-Man 3:

I can't tell you anything. I've been sworn to secrecy. All I can tell you is that we're going to see the next progression in the growth of Peter Parker as a human being. He's really just a boy, on his way to becoming a responsible young man. He still has a lifetime of lessons in front of him.
SOURCE

Spider-Man 3 will concentrate more on further developing the last two films' stories:
With two stories under his belt and a divergence from the comic books now clearly delineated, Raimi is looking more now to wrap up the strands of the first two movies than remain tied to Stan Lee’s original narratives. "I think the audience has been tracking this love story with Mary Jane Watson [Kirsten Dunst] and Peter Parker, and now they're together. The way they got together and the reality of the movies is slowly becoming more dominant of a guiding force than the books, just because so many unique things have been set up in the movies that have now got to be completed in the third part, that there's a demand to do that."
SOURCE

"[Peter is] going to try to move to the next phase of his life, the next stage, young adulthood, and he's going to now be dealing with issues of self-esteem and how he can carry on a relationship, which is much more complex than having an occasional date with some woman and not revealing all of your secrets to her,"
SOURCE

UPDATE June 12, 2006

Spider-Man Day!!!

Somewhere during the movie will be a scene involving a celebration of Spider-Man. One set report has stated it was because he saved Gwen Stacy, although this is still speculative.

There are several pictures of kids in Spider outfits, balloons, a stage with a "Thank You Spider-Man" going across, and Kirsten Dunst (MJ), Bryce Dallas Howard (Gwen), Tobey Maguire (Peter), Topher Grace (Eddie), James Cromwell (Captain Stacy) and of course Spider-Man, have all been shown around this scene. Please visit the picture thread for more information.

A death?

Recent pictures have shown Tobey Maguire (Peter) and James Cromwell (Captain Stacy) in a cemetary. All other actors have yet to appear in this interesting scene, but it leaves without a doubt that there will be a death. It could be similiar to Spider-Man 1 where Willem Dafoe's Character (Norman Osborn/GG) had died at the ending, or it could be anywhere in the middle.

Rumours have been pointing towards Mary Jane, Harry Osborn, or Aunt May as the ones dying, but it is all speculation at this point.

Will there be any further sequels after Spider-man 3?

There is strong evidence that there will be 6 movies in total. SOURCE 1
SOURCE 2

THE CAST AND CREW

Who is making Spider-Man 3?

Director - Sam Raimi
Screenplay - Alvin Argent SOURCE
Producers - Avi Arad and Laura Ziskin
Music producer/Score - Christopher Young SOURCE
Director of Photography - Bill Pope SOURCE
Animation Director - Anthony LaMolinara
Visual Effects Designer - Scott Stokdyk SOURCE
Production Designer - Neil Spisak SOURCE
Costumer Designer - James Acheson
Art Director - Chris Burian-Mohr)
Scenic Designer - Zack Bunker
Animatic Artist/Storyboard Artist - Ryan Woodward
'Digital Character Group' recruiter at Imageworks - Rachelle Lewis

Who is in it?

Returning Cast Members:
Tobey Maguire - Peter Parker/Spider-Man
Kirsten Dunst - Mary Jane Watson
James Franco - Harry Osborn
Rosemarry Harris - Aunt May Parker
J.K. Simmons - J. Jonah Jameson
Elizabeth Banks - Betty Brant
Bruce Campbell - TBA
Cliff Robertson - Uncle Ben SOURCE

New Cast Members:
Thomas Haden Church - Flint Marko/Sandman SOURCE
Topher Grace - Eddie Brock/Venom
Bryce Dallas Howard - Gwen Stacy SOURCE
Theresa Russell - Mrs Marko SOURCE
James Cromwell - Captain Stacy SOURCE
Christina Cindrich - TBA SOURCE
Adrian Lester - Research Scientist SOURCE
Steve Valentine - Fashion Photographer SOURCE

CHARACTERS

Who are the villains?

So far, Sandman has been the only villain "Officially" anounced by Sony. However there have been several confirmations by crew and production members that Venom is in the movie.

UPDATE June 13, 2006
Oral confirmation from THC that Venom is in the movie and apparently looks similiar to the comic version.
http://sbrooks1.cupofnoodles.com/THC_O&A_06_13_06.mp3

UPDATE June 12, 2006
Topher Grace is Eddie Brock...

As the sun went down and about 100 Spidey flying takes they moved over to the side of the stage where Gwen was preparing her speech on giving Spidey the "key to the city" only to be stopped by the not so shy Daily Bugle Photographer Eddie Brock (badge on Topher confirms he is Eddie a Daily Bugle photographer!) He stops taking her picture and asks her if he could see her tonight. Shy and bashful she said "oh no EDDIE not tonight"

Eddie discouraged asked her about "Last Night" where Gwen politely says.. "We just had coffee Eddie" Then Eddie mentions a kiss from last night which Gwen blushes and then is pulled away by the Mayor. Eddie looks confused!!
http://superherohype.com/news/spider-mannews.php?id=4378

A Goblin by any other name will still be a Goblin...

Goblin has been confirmed in this video clip as direction mention it in instructions. OF course this still doesn't confirm Harry is the Goblin, or if this is the "Green" goblin.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HeRaQ8CSkxQ&search=confirm goblin

The following are Cast and Crew members on the Villain(s) for Spider-Man 3:
Sam Raimi 1 2
Kirsten Dunst 1
Thomas Haden Church PAGE 1 2 SOURCE 2 NEW added 5/15/06 3
Joe Quesada SOURCE 1 Added May 21, 2006

UPDATE June 6, 2006
Brief interview with Avi Arad confirms an unheard of 4 villains for Spider-Man 3.
iF: There are four villains this time, Venom, Sandman, and Green Goblin and when is the fourth going to be revealed?

ARAD: Right we have four villains. Pretty soon [we’ll reveal the fourth villain] I believe. Maybe around Comic Con we’ll reveal something and the madness will begin.

http://www.ifmagazine.com/new.asp?article=3028

Will Spider-Man be wearing the black suit in this third installment?

Yes! There has been one Official picture released by Sony that shows Spider-Man in the black suit. However, recent shootings in Cleveland have shown that he will be wearing the famous red and blue suit as well.

RANDOM SPIDER-MAN 3 FUN FACTS

Culver City, Calif.-based Sony Pictures Imageworks also announced refinements in its digital human R&D. During the same panel, Sony Pictures Imageworks president Tim Sarnoff reported that the company's work in this area is "so far advanced beyond "Spider-Man 2," which is now two-year-old technology." He said that moviegoers will see far more complex digital actors in future superhero movies, including a third "Spider-Man" film and "Superman."
SOURCE

For starters, the director acknowledged that the effects will be a combination of the practical and the computer generated varieties, just as they were for Spider-Man 2's Doc Ock.
"Absolutely, the new villain, the new powers [will be a mix]," Raimi says. "We"re shooting tests right now to determine what is best pulled off believably as a practical effect and what can't be, what's too dangerous, what is too unreasonable, and what looks better in CG."
SOURCE

In the first pic, Raimi notes there were 470 effects shots. In the second there were 850. And the estimate for "Spider-Man 3"? More than 1,000. "King Kong" will have more than 1,200.
SOURCE

Sam Raimi would be using innovative tech in "Spider-Man 3" to bring to life one of the villians, Sandman. "It's all new technology. It's like nothing you've ever seen before," he said, comparing it to the breakthrough CGI effects used in "Jurassic Park" and "The Perfect Storm."
SOURCE

Added May 23, 2006

Motion capture has also been used to drive faces for the digital characters in Spider-Man 3.....

On Spider-Man 3, the facial motion captured data was acquired seperately for a sit down position and the facial animation generated was blended in key framed body shots.
SOURCE

LINKS AND FURTHER INFO

Official SPIDER-MAN website
http://www.sonypictures.com/movies/spiderman3/site/

Spider-Man 3 Fan Sites
http://www.spider-man-movies.com/
http://spiderman.ugo.com/

I saw this picture and I believe it's real, is it?

The following are the most popular manips (fan made) that have been posted more times than most of us care to remember. Check out my picture thread for real set pictures.

thSM3black.jpg
thJediSpidey.jpg
thvenom-topher.jpg

I heard something about this (Infamous) Famous Q&A?

It first appeared on SHH and then later on Aintitcool. It carried a spoiler heavy Spider-Man 3 Q&A between two undisclosed parties back in February. It has vanished now at Aintitcool, removed at Sony's request which could possibly mean it has some remote credibility, or it could possibly be that it simply had a couple of extremely lucky guesses. There is no yes or no answer to this question, many believe it, and many don't.

There is a current thread discussing the details. link

I saw an amusing fake teaser video that I feel compelled to create a thread about, should I?

NO! Again we have seen many threads created because of these fake videos. Please direct any comments about any fake video in this thread. link

It's Venom, it's a goblin, it's a church, it's..........nothing, absolutely nothing...

img_black.jpg

We have all heard and seen the eyepiece in detail. There is simply nothing conclusive to indicate that there is actually anything visibly clear in the eyepiece. It's mostly speculation, and/or "wishful" thinking on the most part by fans. If Sony MEANT to have anything in the eyepiece would you think they would make it so difficult to distinguish? Threads on the subject is therefore unneccesary and unwarranted around these parts.

But I saw something on IMBd (or Wikipedia)?(Thanks cmill)

Do not believe everything you read? Both websites depend solely on information provided by the fans. Sometimes they can be right but a lot of the times they are incorrect because fans are typically basing their information on rumours, speculation, or simply on what pops in their head. It's not to say the information on either site is 100% false, it's that the information provided is unreliable on best circumstances. Threads that are based on this information are not suggested.

There...

I hope one of the mods puts a sticky on it...:)

If anyone notices anything ommited or incorrect please feel free to point it out. I will be updating and adding information as it comes along.

I only skimmed through it.. at first when I saw that pic of battle damaged tobey from sm2 I was like -.- but then I read and **whew*

There i edited the pictures so they wouldn't seem to take a good portion of the questions....

I noticed you had a section on when the filming started, but what about the filming itself? I remember you posting in another thread about possible filming locales and times, though that was from IMDB I believe and not confirmed.

Though you could add links to sources and reports on the filming that has happened. Just an idea.

Good job though.

I agree, this is a good idea. All we need is a sticky...

You deserve some sort of medal or something, every thread you make seems to have been just the thing the doctor ordered! keep up the good work.

POWdER-man said:
There...

I hope one of the mods puts a sticky on it...:)

If anyone notices anything ommited or incorrect please feel free to point it out. I will be updating and adding information as it comes along.

Done and fixed the title. Also deleted some posts since they had nothing to do about the thread

I still love you Powder-Man.

SSSSSSSSSSSSSssuper work. First picture, now this. You are amazing, not that Spider-man guy. :)

Wesyeed said:
I still love you Powder-Man.

SSSSSSSSSSSSSssuper work. First picture, now this. You are amazing, not that Spider-man guy. :)

wow your avatar is super naughty

The Infernal said:
I noticed you had a section on when the filming started, but what about the filming itself? I remember you posting in another thread about possible filming locales and times, though that was from IMDB I believe and not confirmed.

Though you could add links to sources and reports on the filming that has happened. Just an idea.

Good job though.

I agree, I am going to add that later. I am going to list the ones we know for sure. LA, Clevelend, Pasadena etc...

As for where there going now, I can't find anything but I'm still looking...

Morg said:
Done and fixed the title. Also deleted some posts since they had nothing to do about the thread

Thanks Morg I appreciate that...:D

And thanks you guys, I appreciate the congrats...;)

Lets hope we get some more information soon.

You should add Seth Greens quote in the Robot Chicken commentary about topher gaining "venom weight"

No I think you should correct the part about the Q&A, cause therer are no "undisclosed parties". It's fact that GoldGoblin was interviewing this guy called lakiamai. Well, at least one party is disclosed... Plus, the Q&A first appeared on these boards... at Aintitcool

As more info comes in, are you just gonna edit the original post?

Goran said:
No I think you should correct the part about the Q&A, cause therer are no "undisclosed parties". It's fact that GoldGoblin was interviewing this guy called lakiamai. Well, at least one party is disclosed... Plus, the Q&A first appeared on these boards... at Aintitcool

I'll edit the second part about it being at SHH, but it doesn't matter about who did the interview.

Spider-Man said:
As more info comes in, are you just gonna edit the original post?

Yes I will list the update change in the first post.

so we won't be seeing anymore of that spider-man 2 pic starting another thread? YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS

Thank you PM for making this thread worthwhile. My thread wasn't nearly thought out well enough, and you even put my name in this one! You didn't have to do that...Looks good, I'll keep my eye out for anything not in the thread...

Also, my thread is now closed, courtesy of Morg. Thanks Morg.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"