Homecoming The Spider-Man Skepticism Thread - Part 1

I know. Hilarious that changing appearances wouldn't mean anything to me. :whatever:

What about Peter Parker is predicated on him being a white man exactly? He's not the first human being to have problems in high school, with bills, etc...

What's your line or do you not have one? Can Black Panther be an Asian woman? Can Thor be played by Judy Dench?

Like comparing an actor's accent to their race/gender/physical appearance?
This literally doesn't make any sense.

my post was filled with my point. You however have no other recourse but to deflect because you don't have a real response.

Just say what you feel man, Mary jane has to be white because she needs to be white because you can't accept a black character as a love interest to Peter.

Why are you people talking about a character that's not in the movie? :hehe:

Hahaha

What's your line or do you not have one? Can Black Panther be an Asian woman? Can Thor be played by Judy Dench?

Black Panther is a story about race and Africanness he has to be black, it informs his character. What about "white male" informs Spiderman?

Judi Dench would make a wonderful Thor. We already had Jane as Thor so why not? It would be fresh and different not just the same old 50-60 year old stuff over and over.

Alana´s Gun;35435851 said:
Black Panther is a story about race and Africanness he has to be black, it informs his character. What about "white male" informs Spiderman?

Judi Dench would make a wonderful Thor. We already had Jane as Thor so why not? It would be fresh and different not just the same old 50-60 year old stuff over and over.
:up:

If you think Peter Parker being white is as integral to the character as T'Challa being black I dare say you don't get one, or either, of those characters.

I'm glad someone brought up Holland's accent because it's an excellent point. If Holland used his British accent as Peter Parker it would annoy me just as much as the fact that MJ is visually unrecognizable. In both cases you're nearing the line where you've got to start asking yourself...if you are going to change the character this much, why work with the character at all? Why not just create a new character?

Like it or not, Mary Jane's physical appearance is one of the things that defines her character. bad place...she may be the most iconic red-headed woman of all time!

Now that part of her character has been sacrificed to an agenda. Fortunately, the quality of the film otherwise is enough to smooth over this flaw but there's nothing wrong with being bothered by it. You're certainly not a racist if it annoys you

I love how racebending is tantamount to having an "agenda" but the fact that the overwhelming majority of comic characters are white isn't something that was born out of an agenda? Surely, you know their whiteness isn't a coincidence?

From what I can see, none of these characters were changed to suit an agenda, but to better reflect the world Peter's actually lives in. And this is a *great* thing, as far as I'm concerned. Setting a movie in Queens where all the prominent characters are white, merely because that's how they are depicted in the comics is not only tired and silly but creatively uninspiring. I'm glad those who have the power to change things finally recognize this.

Thats not what I asked

Its obvious you guys are ignoring the question

You are giving this a pass because of Kevin Fegie

Ok I will answer your original question (sorry my first post didn't answer your exact question).

No if this movie was produced by Sony and had no connections to the MCU (and Feige had no control in it) then they could change whatever they want and I wouldn't complain anything. (Whether I see the movie in theater, as I said, will depends on its RT score.)

Alana´s Gun;35435847 said:
This literally doesn't make any sense.

my post was filled with my point. You however have no other recourse but to deflect because you don't have a real response.

Just say what you feel man, Mary jane has to be white because she needs to be white because you can't accept a black character as a love interest to Peter.
I want MJ to be a white red headed woman. Gasp! Comic accuracy...GASP! G A S P!!!

Peter can have a black love interest. I don't care. But, it can be a new character. Why can't it be a new character?

Race baiters love to play this game. Accept changes I want or you're a racist for not accepting those changes. Then, you pose ridiculous questions like changing Peter Parker into a woman and their logic folds in on itself because they know they would be sexist if they said no. Can Black Panther be played by a great Asian actor like Steven Yeun from TWD? This is when their heads explode because they'll say no.

Mary Jane is white, she has big boobs, and she has red hair. There's ten thousand comics you can check if you don't believe me! And yes, all three of those things are part of who she is as a character...if the fact that they are trying to change this bothers you, you are normal and not a racist or a sexist. :)

Have a great day everyone and don't let the viciousness and name-calling bring you down

Mjölnir;35435867 said:
If you think Peter Parker being white is as integral to the character as T'Challa being black I dare say you don't get one, or either, of those characters.
Simple yes or no will suffice...

Otherwise the deflection police will say something.

I mean, at this point, you're quite literally just trolling the thread and not responding to anybody else's points. You want us to answer your questions while you won't answer any of ours. Then when people DO answer, you cry about us not responding to you even though others just did. Not much of a discussion.

Mary Jane is white, she has big boobs, and she has red hair. There's ten thousand comics you can check if you don't believe me! And yes, all three of those things are part of who she is as a character...if the fact that they are trying to change this bothers you, you are normal and not a racist or a sexist. :)

Have a great day everyone and don't let the viciousness and name-calling bring you down

I don't think there is anything wrong that people want characters to be comic accurate.

I want MJ to be a white red headed woman. Gasp! Comic accuracy...GASP! G A S P!!!

Peter can have a black love interest. I don't care. But, it can be a new character. Why can't it be a new character?

Thanks for saying it.

But we all know if he had another original love interest that wasn't mary jane you'd see this as a flaw of the film as well.

You want comic "accuracy" but forget these were written at a time where people were literally telling minorities they couldn't go to schools with whites and just a mere decade after putting the Japanese in internment camps.

These stories couldn't play out with minority character then because the country was gripped by racism.

Race baiters love to play this game. Accept changes I want or you're a racist for not accepting those changes. Then, you pose ridiculous questions like changing Peter Parker into a woman and their logic folds in on itself because they know they would be sexist if they said no. Can Black Panther be played by a great Asian actor like Steven Yeun from TWD? This is when their heads explode because they'll say no.

Again...since you clearly have never read a black panther comic before; Black Panther's character is PREDICATED ON HIS BEING BLACK AND AFRICAN.

Now if they had a sort of adaption that took place in China and it was the same ideals with a Chinese character defending China from foriegn invaders and protecting Chinese culture then yeah, I'm all on board.

Just like I was fine with the Muslim Batman.

thats right, I liked the Muslim Batman and the Muslim Ms. Marvel.

I hope that doesn't hurt your "comic accuracy" feelings too much

Alana´s Gun;35435851 said:

Why can't Black Panther be about 'Asian-ness'? Is the Asian culture less important to you? Why does culture define a character? Fighting for good spans all cultures or does it not in some cultures to you?

Judy Dench as Thor...can't wait.

Why can't Black Panther be about 'Asian-ness'? Is the Asian culture less important to you? Why does culture define a character? Fighting for good spans all cultures or does it not in some cultures to you?

Judy Dench as Thor...can't wait.
Read his post right above yours.
their logic folds in on itself

w3hUyFC.gif

Last edited:

This made me laugh and cringe at the same time. Are you really disappointed because a character (a teenager, at that) doesn't have big boobs??

This made me laugh and cringe at the same time. Are you really disappointed because a character (a teenager, at that) doesn't have big boobs??

I have to say there was a time all speculation about Zendaya's character started with "I have no problem with MJ being black" and I was like "Uhm..."

Bingo. Nailed it.

This is too pathetic to respond to. Big boobs? Really?

I just want her name to be Mary Jane and not Michelle Jones. That's all LOL.

Last edited:
Hey, Kirsten Dunst satisfied all the superfluous criteria given there. White, big hoo haas, and red (dyed) hair. What a great MJ she was! /s

I just want her name to be Mary Jane and not Michelle Jane. That's all LOL.

This is my argument too. If she's Mary Jane just make her Mary Jane, why is she Michelle with the nickname MJ. Is she a new character or Mary Jane? Why is it like an in between with the way they're handling her right now if she does indeed become Mary Jane. it's unecessary, make her one or the other.

Seriously, can we get someone to make a new skepticism thread? This one has completely gone to **** with pathetic race baiting arguments.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"