The Spoilers thread

Discussion in 'Black Widow' started by Web-Head, Jun 19, 2021.

1. samsnee Ok

A pet peeve: In Budapest, we see a widow fall from a great height, break her leg, and is basically incapacitated. Natasha falls from the same height, hits her neck, then her back, and the. her face on the way down and she’s perfectly fine. We are reaching Fast and Furious levels of invincibility for people who are not super humans.

2. Web-Head Hope

It's a superhero movie. I understand it's supposed to be fairly grounded and all that, but Nat was even lucky to make it out alive in either Taskmaster encounter too

samsnee likes this.
  3. Web-Head Hope

I posted this in the Taskmaster thread too but I think one way you could have had a more comic accurate take on the character is have Ross hire him (or even still her) to track down Natasha since she evaded him and was on the run/a fugitive.

You would have had to change a few things here and there in the script but I think it could have worked. Then you also could have set Taskmaster to show up and become a villain who could show up in future MCU projects.

CadeSkywalker28 likes this.
  4. Solaire Registered

At least it’s in a universe with Ego, Thanos and Hulk. The FF are or were grounded up until the cyborg and transformer bike in Hobbs and Shaw.

They should’ve just said from beginning that she got a weaker version of the SSS.

5. samsnee Ok

Yeah I’m willing to buy she’s peak human levels of durability. But she’s still human. In Avengers, you saw her and Hawkeye getting tired and wincing in pain. She barely did that here. Even after flipping over a car multiple times, glass everywhere, and no airbags, she didn’t even have a cut on her.

6. zephyrinthesky Registered

The thing that bothered me most was that she was landing on her feet after tumbling down the side of a building and crashing to earth in a parachute.

This movie should’ve been a prime Advil product placement deal.

7. Mr. Peanut Registered

Well they did say she was specifically selected for her super genes, which basically means she naturally has a weaker version of the SSS through random genetic lottery.

Just gotta remember that the natural limits of human ability in comic book universes is superior to the limits of human ability in real life.

8. chamber-music Infinity Ammo

Natasha's real superpower is her ability to get villains' monologuing :funny:

Loki, Alexander Pierce, Secretary Ross and Dreykov all got the "You sly dog! You got me monologuing! treatment :D:

I thought they would of had Natasha come back with her being a Ballerina like the comics but she mostly brushed it off.

9. chamber-music Infinity Ammo

Clint told the other Avengers and I'm sure word got out about what went down.

I could see Sam Wilson or Rhodey possibly telling some government type since they are both grounded guys with military links.

10. Dark Raven It's not about what you deserve...

General Ross was coming for Natasha at the end and it looked like she was going to surrender. How did she escape so that it said "2 weeks later" and she was walking round free and going to rescue the other Avengers?

11. Ctfxcwatcher Registered

I really enjoyed this a lot but my problem is this movie should've came out BEFORE infinity War & Endgame. This will always be a blemish on Marvel studios. I get the situation why it wasn't released before but still.

Mr. Peanut likes this.
  12. CadeSkywalker28 Registered

Instead of Captain Marvel, Black Widow should be made and take place right after Infinity War. Black Widow walks away devastated after Thanos defeated them.

Ross hire Taskmaster to take her down. Natasha stumbles upon her old family, and they fight Taskmaster together. After that she returns to the Avengers, ready to continue fighting, and we have a great build up before her sacrifice in Endgame.

There is no Captain Marvel, which means that the one to stop Thanos from using the gauntlet will be the Hulk and it would be perfect.

P Supreme likes this.
  13. Primal Slayer Let the Siren scream

In the grand scheme of rewatches, the release date won't hurt. I plan on doing a Widow rewatch to see how it impacts Natashas journey when added in chronological order.

Mr. Peanut, Venom 1988 and Web-Head like this.
  14. Web-Head Hope

I don't think it's release date should be a negative on the movie but I do agree that at the very least Black Widow should have been the first female led movie in the MCU

15. Drizzle Registered

My main pet peeve of the movie besides Nat and Clint's Budapest mission flashbacks being glossed over (really would have liked to see more of that apart from a ten second scene with a voice cameo from Renner) and the abrupt ending that didn't go into detail as to how Nat escaped Ross's men was that there wasn't an explanation as to how Nat is capable of possessing a lot of the more superhuman skills that she has. I really thought that they'd explore the avenue of her and the other Widows being injected with some form of super soldier serum while in the Red Room but I guess they're going with the "she's just a really skilled human" like Hawkeye, but he hasn't done nearly as many extraordinary stunts as Natasha.

I said this in another thread too but while watching Black Widow I kept thinking that it should have come out five years ago. 2016 really could have been when Marvel started releasing 3 movies per year. You could have had Civil War that May, Doctor Strange in July or August, and Black Widow that November. As it is, whenever I do an MCU marathon I usually watch them by order of release but obviously apart from the post-credits scene, it seems odd to watch Black Widow after Infinity War and Endgame. That being said though, had it been released in 2016 it's highly unlikely that Florence Pugh and David Harbour would be in it and since I thought they were among the strongest aspects of the movie, especially Pugh, better late than never, I guess.

16. Web-Head Hope

I have to say though, I for sure thought Alexei was a goner when he started singing American Pie and "this will be the day that I die" and the Red Room attacks at Melina's home.

Bren likes this.
  17. Holy Slapper Registered

Someone brought this up in Campea's spoiler talk show going on right now, maybe she gave the info on the Widows to Ross in exchange for her freedom?

Venom 1988 likes this.
  18. Fosterson Registered

One thing that left me confused is this: was Dreykov still working for the Russian government, or had he become a rogue agent?

The movie makes it clear that the Red Room was originally a Soviet, and later Russian government program, and yet at the end of the movie Dreykov seems to be running his operation without oversight from anyone.

This also ties in with one of my biggest problems with Dreykov as a villain: we don't get a clear enough sense of what his ultimate objective is. I get that he's a misogynistic a*****e who enjoys kidnapping and brainwashing young girls, but to what purpose? He mentions in passing that Natasha betrayed "her people", which certainly indicates he's some kind of Russian nationalist and/or Soviet nostalgist. But aside from that its all just a bit too vague.

19. CaptainWagner I'm A Worrier, It's What I Do (P) (he/him)

I mean, Ross doesn't exactly have the best track record with holding on to captured Avengers...
    Dreykov definitely struck me as a sort of Putin-type: Ex-Soviet who never really stopped doing his thing, just rebranded for the new world. His thing seemed pretty straight-forward to me - He was running an international mercenary black ops group. But he definitely was a Soviet "lost-causer." The whole base in the sky thing implies he's at least on good relations with the current Russian government, but I didn't get the vibe it was still an official government op.
    Absolutely. She should have gotten her own franchise ages ago. To which we can only say: **** Ike Perlmutter.

20. Holy Slapper Registered

Another thing someone brought up on Campea's spoiler talk show, Loki mentioned Dreykov's daughter in The Avengers already.

Mr. Peanut likes this.
  21. legendkillin Registered

I think possibly something was in the vest Yelena gave her to escape. They were always talking about the pockets and how they can hold a lot. Maybe she slipped a tool to get out of handcuffs. I don't think she would sell them out and then the following scene mention she has two families. She wanted the other widows to be freed by Yelena and Melina was going to make more of the cure.

CaptainWagner likes this.
  22. legendkillin Registered

Red Skull called her "Daughter of Ivan" in Endgame but we never heard Dreykov's first name in this movie. This part may have been a miss in the movie due to Red Guardian being Aleksei no Ivan in any part of the name. It is a comic nod I guess but plot hole in the movies.

23. legendkillin Registered

Saw it again today, enjoyed when Yelena said Aleksei was trying to live glory days as Crimson Dynamo haha and then he corrects her. Nice to know Dynamo was around since Vanko was Whiplash in Iron Man 2.

SPO2 Dalisay likes this.
  24. Web-Head Hope

No, Red Skull was referring to Natasha's birth father. Not Alexei and not Dreykov.

Loki referred to her as Dreykov's daughter because she was raised in the red room

WatchProtect likes this.
  25. fan4stic Registered

But didn't Red Skull call Gamora the daughter of Thanos? Why does birth parent matter for Natasha, but not Gamora? Why doesn't he call her a daughter of Alexei or something?

On other notes: If Drekov could make one Taskmaster, why not have more? How did he survive, with seemingly no burns, the bomb?
    Though Perlmutter's not the one who had her killed off in Endgame, preventing this character from ever having a franchise, now. That's what I care about more, at this point. Because she's dead, in the service of a male character.