The Spy Who Dumped Me (Mila Kunis, Kate McKinnon)

Mila Kunis need to stop being in theatrical comedies and go whole hog into dramas, fantasy films (Jupiter Ascending might argue against that but she wasn't the issue with that film by a mile) or action. It's not that she can't be funny. It's that she's settling for pretty middling comedies and it's hurting her in the long run.

I think after Oz she's like, **** it. Plus Jim Beam probably didn't lowball her on those checks.

I think after Oz she's like, **** it. Plus Jim Beam probably didn't lowball her on those checks.

Maybe. Still has a regular gig on FG too which is easy money. Still after BLACK SWAN you'd think she would have opened herself up to doing more indie style work, build a rep, or just do some big dumb action films surrounded by big stars. Something. Instead it seems like she does these ho-hum comedies. Now this could still be really good but I can already see the the trailer in my head already, beat for beat, joke for joke. Now if this was maybe a really dark comedy, and I mean pitch black, perhaps that would be something but the premise sounds like it will be similar to that Pine/Hardy film where they were romancing the same girl. I can't even remember the name. :woot:

[YT]kjaHhduqS5o[/YT]

You little bastards didn't tell me Justin Theroux was going to be in this. :argh:

Great cast. But looks trash

Hope the trailer is just bad

Sam Heughan :ilv:. The cast is really good. Shame it doesn't look funny. Hoping it's just the trailer and the movie is better.

[YT]CXkUaaVrB_s[/YT]

Again. Sam Heughan :hmr:.

Also, I see McKinnon managed to get herself in a scene with Gillian :funny:.

Eh, I'm sure it'll please a subset of the populous.

For a movie that’s supposed to be a buddy feature, Kate McKinnon and Mila Kunis barely have any chemistry. Their comedy styles are significantly different where McKinnon is more physical and expressive and Kunis is verbal and can do various deliveries, mostly sarcastic and deadpan. Their styles don’t mesh well together, which results in them looking lost and playing their standard character types. Their interactions with each other rarely seem organic because they’re still playing familiar characters we already know them as. McKinnon’s character (Morgan) is pretty much a variation of McKinnon’s characters from SNL; Kunis’ Audrey is pretty much Jackie from “That 70s Show”. Kunis and McKinnon are hilarious comedic actresses, but they don’t have the comedic chemistry to carry the feature, for it seems that they’re just battling each other to mug at the screen. Because of their dynamic not being fully convincing, a lot of the supposed highlighted scenes of comedy fall flat.

They share fun moments together whenever McKinnon is not going over the top or has to friggin AD LIB ALL THE TIME. Mila Kunis is mostly carrying the movie for her character has a decently written arc where the film centers on Audrey finding her independence. It’s a nice message the film tries to convey, even though IT TOOK 2 FRIGGIN' HOURS TO GET THERE. Plus, Paul Feig did it better with “Spy”.

FULL REVIEW HERE: https://rendyreviews.com/movies//the-spy-who-dumped-me-review

They need to stop trying to make Mila Kunis happen. She’s an okay comedic actress and a mediocre dramatic actress. Yeah, she was fine in Black Swan but nothing to write home about and I seriously don’t understand all the praise she got for that part. Jupiter Ascending was a mess and she was a big part of the reason why; she couldn’t have been more miscast. I actually liked her in Bad Moms but I’m not going to pretend like it was a spectacular performance or movie.

Well it is rated R so I hope it at least takes advantage of it.

I just watched this one and it was a lot of fun.

I think it caught me by surprise. I wasn't expecting this to be any good and while this isn't classic material, it actually made me laugh quite a bit.

I was surprised by Kate McKinnon in here. She was very funny in this. I thought she will play a loud & obnoxious character with OTT improvisation or ad libbing which will become unbearable after a short while. She does all those things here but it's actually good. So yeah, it was a welcome surprise.

Sam Heughan was excellent too. I didn't know anything about him before this and I thought I was watching Alexander Skarsgard. Lol. But dude's very good. I hope he gets more roles after this.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jeremija
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"