The Stadia thread - Google’s new foray into the video game industry

Not sure what that has to do with what I said but I liked all the Pixels I've had and so have everyone I know who've had any of them. Looking forward to maybe getting the 7 Pro. To each their own.

You said Pixel so I used it to rant.

I use a lot of Google products. Multiple Nest products, a Pixel phone, Gmail, YouTube Music, etc. Used to use YouTube TV before I didn't need it anymore. I like their products, but everyone knows Google has this problem.

They do seem to be consolidating a lot of stuff recently. So we'll see.
But yeah Google has this problem and I hear it's just cuz of Google's company culture. You get promoted more for coming up with new ideas instead of fine tuning other ones. Which is especially bad because Google doesn't promote a lot of their products well at launch. For example, it took Pixel 6 years to get a major marketing push. And Google's messaging product screw ups are so bad it's a meme now. So when a product understandably doesn't do well at launch they just launch a new one.
Google is still one of the top 5 most valued companies even with that issue so I see why they don't care.

I wish a tech reviewer would have the huevos to ask about this when they interview Sundar Pichai
The google account that is used across Youtube and a bunch of other sites for automated logins seems more intuitive than many other equivalents so I use that. Also the shared google docs feature is something we use at work for the whole team to contribute. So those things have worked well for me and I wouldn't want to lose them. I also use youtube a lot and wanted to get it without ads so I could listen to a wide variety of content while on runs, and the ability to continue listening while the youtube screen wasn't the live page on mobile, but the price seems really high for some reason. Google are obviously a very successful company in many aspects but some of their moves seem strange and almost like they don't research new areas as well as I'd have expected, and they don't seem to have the balls for a fight to win marketshare in areas they are new to against existing competitors.

Hmm just use the popular ones. Google, Gmail, YouTube, Drive... as a consumer, its better to be aware that Google has a history of abandoning their services/products. So if you're going to try something like Stadia or something they will launch soon, just don't be surprised if its gone in a few year.

I'm surprised PiXel is still around. I don't know anybody who uses a Google phone.

Just seems a waste as the streaming technology was apparently very good so maybe they should have partnered up with or sold it to a company who could better utilise it. Doesn’t seem like much room for new entrants into traditional gaming with all the loyalties so many consumers have to the big 3.

Just seems a waste as the streaming technology was apparently very good so maybe they should have partnered up with or sold it to a company who could better utilise it. Doesn’t seem like much room for new entrants into traditional gaming with all the loyalties so many consumers have to the big 3.
I wonder which though. Sony doesn't seem interested in it as much as Microsoft.

The google account that is used across Youtube and a bunch of other sites for automated logins seems more intuitive than many other equivalents so I use that. Also the shared google docs feature is something we use at work for the whole team to contribute. So those things have worked well for me and I wouldn't want to lose them. I also use youtube a lot and wanted to get it without ads so I could listen to a wide variety of content while on runs, and the ability to continue listening while the youtube screen wasn't the live page on mobile, but the price seems really high for some reason. Google are obviously a very successful company in many aspects but some of their moves seem strange and almost like they don't research new areas as well as I'd have expected, and they don't seem to have the balls for a fight to win marketshare in areas they are new to against existing competitors.
Yeah that's kinda it.
Google is so successful without dominating phone hardware, music streaming, etc. that they don't feel like putting in the effort to excel in whatever field. Kinda like a student who barely studies and gets an A- anyway. Why go for an A+ when you're successful enough.

I would love for YouTube Music to take off and, as an Android user in the iMessage dominated US, I'd love for them to get messaging right. But until they get a leader who really cares about unification and dominating in any arena like Steve Jobs and Tim Cook were and are, then that probably won't happen.

So, I got two second-hand Stadia controllers for 20 bucks each. The controller is actually quite well built. It feels like the DualShock 4 and the Switch Pro controller in my hands. Now I have enough gamepads for a 6-person TMNT Shredder's Revenge playthrough next X-mas family party. :awesome:

I wonder which though. Sony doesn't seem interested in it as much as Microsoft.
I'd say it's because Sony isn't a cloud service provider. I mean, in the video game console space we have three companies (well, two now :hehe:) which have an interest in cloud gaming and they're coincidentally the Big 3 of cloud services.

Still, Sony made a partnership deal with Microsoft few years ago and they're assumedly using Azure to power PS Now.

So, I got two second-hand Stadia controllers for 20 bucks each. The controller is actually quite well built. It feels like the DualShock 4 and the Switch Pro controller in my hands. Now I have enough gamepads for a 6-person TMNT Shredder's Revenge playthrough next X-mas family party. :awesome:
:funny: Ton of fun that.

Sounds like a good call to buy up some Stadia controllers as spares from people looking to get out.

Less e-waste in landfills. Good on Google.

Hopefully the Bluetooth adapter by 8BitDo is compatible so I can use the controller with my Switch.

At least we still got Amazon Luna.

Does anyone here use it? Better than stadia?

The Bluetooth firmware update is now available. Works with my Android tablet and my PC, but doesn't seem to be compatible with the Switch for now. :csad:

Does anyone here use it? Better than stadia?
Luna is currently available in the US only.

It does have a better subscription model than Stadia. If you have a Prime sub, Luna is included with the free, but limited rotating game library. Ubisoft also allows you to play the (PC) games you already own via Luna.

The Bluetooth firmware update is now available. Works with my Android tablet and my PC, but doesn't seem to be compatible with the Switch for now. :csad:

Luna is currently available in the US only.

It does have a better subscription model than Stadia. If you have a Prime sub, Luna is included with the free, but limited rotating game library. Ubisoft also allows you to play the (PC) games you already own via Luna.
Cool that it’s included with Prime. I think one of the tough parts for new competitors is that most gamers aren’t looking for new options and already happy with pc, Switch, PS5 and XSX. Cloud gaming is something relatively new but I’d expect only wholly new gamers to go for it en masse while most existing gamers would rather experience it as an expansion of their existing ecosystem.

Xbox Game Pass and XCloud are probably the best option at the moment.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"