The super bowl as the only US TV sports ratings success, why?

SuperDave78

Civilian
Reaction score
The Super Bowl: why must it be on the only sporting event to be a American TV ratings success every year??
what about the other major sporting events? such as the Olympics or NBA All-Star Game.
why can we treat them the same way we do the Super Bowl?

Didn't the World Series and NBA Finals just do record numbers? The College Football Playoff games did great numbers this year. The Final Four and March Madness in general do great business.

because beyonce
Beyonce-Superbowl.gif

And this year we are getting legend Gaga!

because beyonce
Beyonce-Superbowl.gif

And this year we are getting legend Gaga!

Forget them, they're too cheesy. When watching a sporting event, you think sports, not music. Besides today's halftime shows are too boring

Forget them, they're too cheesy. When watching a sporting event, you think sports, not music. Besides today's halftime shows are too boring

no i think alot of people tune in for the half time show.
Gaga > whoever is playing this year

Because the NFL is the most popular sport in America. It's as simple as that. That's why it gets the ratings it gets. So I guess the better question to ask is why is NFL the most popular sport.

Didn't the World Series and NBA Finals just do record numbers? The College Football Playoff games did great numbers this year. The Final Four and March Madness in general do great business.

Roughly 20 million people watch the Final Four every year. That's a far cry from insubstantial.

where do you get the Super Bowl being the only ratings success? :confused:

SB may be the highest rated (because its the most popular sport here and the most wagered on) but plenty of other events are successful on TV.

where do you get the Super Bowl being the only ratings success? :confused:

SB may be the highest rated (because its the most popular sport here and the most wagered on) but plenty of other events are successful on TV.

Like that boring walking dead show or some Boring reality show? Which can destroy the nba all star game or a world cup game in the ratings. Check out the olympics or the indy 500. Those are true sporting events for anyone to see

Like that boring walking dead show or some Boring reality show? Which can destroy the nba all star game or a world cup game in the ratings. Check out the olympics or the indy 500. Those are true sporting events for anyone to see
Why do you keep on comparing the NBA All Star Game to the Superbowl? You'd compare the All Star Game to the Pro Bowl.

This an odd thread with an odd agenda that I don't even understand. And you are wrong as well. Game 7 from last season's NBA Final was the third most watched event of the year behind the Super Bowl and the Oscars.

Because the NFL is the most popular sport in America. It's as simple as that. That's why it gets the ratings it gets. So I guess the better question to ask is why is NFL the most popular sport.

I think a big reason is the schedule. They play once a week, for sixteen weeks, largely on the same day every week, and then a month of playoffs and it is done. It is considerably less time consuming to follow than something like baseball or basketball, which lends it more favorable to casual fans. It is also makes it easier for fantasy, which has played a big role in the growth of the sport.

Other sports are just way too long. Take the NHL for instance. The Stanley Cup ends in June (which is already late for a winter sport) and then pre-season starts in September. The NBA is almost as bad.

Also in football, almost every game matters until late in the season and playoffs are one and done. Every NFL playoff game is like a Game 7 in the other sports. In college this is really extreme, because a single loss in September can take a team out of the running for the National Championship.

Lantern Venom said:
Roughly 20 million people watch the Final Four every year. That's a far cry from insubstantial.

Which like the NFL, is also a one and done tournament. That format makes every game exciting. Whereas a Cavs/Bulls Game 4 in the first round with the Cavs up 3-0 is not.

Why do you keep on comparing the NBA All Star Game to the Superbowl? You'd compare the All Star Game to the Pro Bowl.

This an odd thread with an odd agenda that I don't even understand. And you are wrong as well. Game 7 from last season's NBA Final was the third most watched event of the year behind the Super Bowl and the Oscars.

I didn't even see the nba finals cause both teams were boring(thanks to the nba fixing it). I wanted to see my spurs vs raptors. I think maybe America should watch the UEFA European cup final this june. Yeah, everybody set up the bbq pits, bring friends over. Do the same for the olympics, indy 500, etc. I hate for most of these sporting events to be treated like the little guy on the street, sat on the backseat

I didn't even see the nba finals cause both teams were boring(thanks to the nba fixing it). I wanted to see my spurs vs raptors. I think maybe America should watch the UEFA European cup final this june. Yeah, everybody set up the bbq pits, bring friends over. Do the same for the olympics, indy 500, etc. I hate for most of these sporting events to be treated like the little guy on the street, sat on the backseat
Are you trolling? You said something factually wrong and then went on a weird rant.

Plenty of people watched the Rio Olympics, in fact NBC made a killing on it. But it's an event spread out over 17 days so the ratings ebb and flow. The Super Bowl is a one shot deal, one game on one day of course it's going to be a bigger event.

Also is The Walking Dead a sporting event now? :confused:

Look at this list, we'll it's a bit old....
top 100 most watched American tv programs

And any of the final fours, nba finals, indy 500s, world cup games ain't on this list. Only a few days of the 1994 olympics and a 1980 world series game.

That doesn't mean other sports and leagues aren't successful. You would be laughed out of the board room if you suggested to TV execs that non- Super Bowl sporting events have no following.

http://www.sportsmediawatch.com/2015/04/final-four-ratings-kentucky-wisconsin-most-watched-since-tbs-tnt-trutv-ncaa-tournament-march-madness/

I think a big reason is the schedule. They play once a week, for sixteen weeks, largely on the same day every week, and then a month of playoffs and it is done. It is considerably less time consuming to follow than something like baseball or basketball, which lends it more favorable to casual fans. It is also makes it easier for fantasy, which has played a big role in the growth of the sport.

Other sports are just way too long. Take the NHL for instance. The Stanley Cup ends in June (which is already late for a winter sport) and then pre-season starts in September. The NBA is almost as bad.

Also in football, almost every game matters until late in the season and playoffs are one and done. Every NFL playoff game is like a Game 7 in the other sports. In college this is really extreme, because a single loss in September can take a team out of the running for the National Championship.

Which like the NFL, is also a one and done tournament. That format makes every game exciting. Whereas a Cavs/Bulls Game 4 in the first round with the Cavs up 3-0 is not.

I agree with this....NHL, MLB, and NBA are all Best of 7 games. NFL is too dangerous to play that many games. Every game is important.

Also, NFL is the most popular sport in US. NFL is such a different vibe than other sports, I cant explain it. But football is just a monster event, and families watch it together too.

Super Bowl should be a national holiday. Got to be honest. Every business practically shuts down on game night. Everyone tunes in. As a fellow geek, I have lots of geek friends in real life. And those friends are NOT into sports. Not at all... They even live in big cities where they have sports teams, they could care less....However every single one of them are watching the Super Bowl. Its more than a game, it became an event.

This year might be the biggest year if you got Cowboys vs. Patriots in the Super Bowl. Cowboys is 'America's Team', and they have two new players Elliott and Dak Prescott who give Cowboys a whole new life. They are making things so interesting because we could be watching future hall of famers, who knows....But then there is the Patriots, NFL's most dominate team in the past decade. They are such a powerhouse in football. With that comes its fans from Boston and their haters. Throw in the football cheating scandal - and they are public enemy number one. But even if you hate the Patriots - you cant deny how freaking good they are.

But Cowboys vs. Patriots in a super bowl plus Lady Gaga, new movie trailers - its going to be a massive success...Plus the commercials are just as interesting as the game.

Last year, it was a terrible Super Bowl - Panthers vs. Denver. It was boring, and Cam Newton, the most interesting QB in the game, did not play well and Denver's defense was just too much. But it was a low scoring game and not that good.

However, 2015.......wow.....Seattle Seahawks vs. New England Patriots. One of the best Super Bowls we've seen in a while. Came all down to the last game play where Seahawks could have gave the ball to Beast and win the game, but they chose an idiot play and got the ball intercepted, thus giving the win to Patriots. It was the most talked about sporting event along with Mayweather vs. Pacquaio that year as well.... But that Super Bowl was HUGE due to Seattle being former SB champs plus Patriots being former SB champs with huge players - Russell Wilson, Beast Mode, Richard Sherman, Tom Brady.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jeremija
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"