The Superhero Cinematic Civil War

Though I think the solo film first approach is the best one for team up filmmaking, at this point it might be a good idea to go with the Midnight Sons (or Suns) flick first and then try and figure out Blade. You’ve got (for now) Blade, Elsa Bloodstone, Werewolf by Night, Ted and Agatha or whoever Aubrey Plaza is playing. Get that one off the ground and try to keep Mr. Ali from bailing.

It floors me that Marvel couldn’t get their **** together and make a Blade movie after SIX YEARS. I defend Marvel a lot but I can’t give them a pass for this. Especially when they’ve left a top notch actor like Ali just sitting on the back burner all this time. My guess is that his only MCU appearance with be his stupid voice cameo with Jon Snow in that dumb Eternals scene that will never get followed up on.

I think they were just gonna use Blade as a setup movie for Blade’s daughter for the Young Avengers movie and that’s why nothing has made sense about this ongoing debacle.

Marvel Introduces Blade's SECOND Daughter (After Bloodline)​

Last edited:

According to Jeff Sneider, Ali is said to have grown frustrated with the director; while he's considered a talent behind the camera, the report claims Demange is also "difficult to work with."

The scooper adds that he and Marvel Studios parted ways in March; Kevin Feige is said to have been searching for a writer and director ever since, though it could be that they'll eventually get the same person to do both.

Matt Bomer has talked publicly (I think for the first time) about missing out on playing Superman after being outed. If that wasn’t ****ty enough, he doesn’t even know who outed him in the first place. I’m really glad he’s managed to carve out a name for himself with some impressive performances in TV and film, but I think he would have made a great Superman too. While Hollywood isn’t half as progressive as it pretends to be, at least coming out as gay doesn’t seem to be as risky for actors today as it was back then.

Though even if he had been officially cast, I’m still not sure the movie would have happened. I’m not sure if this article has all of its facts right, because as I understood it, Bomer was the top pick for the role when Ratner, not Abrams, was set to direct the film. Because Ratner (who is a scumbag but did seem to really want Bomer) even cast him as Superman in a TV commercial years later as a kind of consolation prize. Though maybe Bomer was also Abrams’ top pick. I remember Cavill saying in an interview that he was going to play Superman in FlyBy (when Abrams was still at the helm) but then the project got canceled. But I don’t know if that’s true.

Side note… was FlyBy the beginning of this ongoing saga of Abrams starting but not finishing various projects? Because I remember a few years after that, he was supposed to direct The Dark Tower and then just gave up. Then, in terms of projects he did get off the ground, you have Star Trek and Star Wars, both of which he either handed off to other directors to conclude or at least tried to do that before he was coaxed back to make an abysmal crowd-pleasing film that pleased no one. I will say that both TFA and his first Trek film were great intros to franchise reboots and were well cast. They both lack a bit in terms of story but much like superhero movies, I can overlook a weaker origin story if it gets the characters right.

I guess M:I3 and Super 8 could be viewed as his greatest successes, simply because they at least feel like fully formed projects that weren’t just set ups for someone else to figure out the loose ends. Though M:I3 does have perhaps Abrams’ most egregious “mystery box” in that you never even find out what the MacGuffin does (though he does hint that you might find out in a sequel directed by someone else!).

And more recently, he had this multimillion dollar deal with WB that resulted in absolutely nothing except for a Ta-Nehisi Coates Superman script that is TOTALLY still in development don’t you worry about that, it’s 100% for sure gonna happen maybe.

I guess I just hope that Abrams takes on a project and actually finishes it. I know technically he “finished” the Star Wars sequel trilogy but I don’t really count that since he was brought in to just undo everything the previous movie set up.

I don't get what has happened at Marvel. For years they were a well-oiled machine. Up through End Game, I liked pretty much everything they did, at least on some level. Even the weakest ones were watchable. Heck, even after End Game I still enjoyed Black Widow, Shang-Chi, the two Spider-Man films, and Dr. Strange 2. But they have fallen off a cliff since then, and it is mostly the same people in charge. It isn't like the people responsible for the 10+ years of success up and left the company to my knowledge. Now they struggle to even get films made, let alone have them turn out good. They handled the pandemic better than they are handling things now.

I don't get what has happened at Marvel. For years they were a well-oiled machine. Up through End Game, I liked pretty much everything they did, at least on some level. Even the weakest ones were watchable. Heck, even after End Game I still enjoyed Black Widow, Shang-Chi, the two Spider-Man films, and Dr. Strange 2. But they have fallen off a cliff since then, and it is mostly the same people in charge. It isn't like the people responsible for the 10+ years of success up and left the company to my knowledge. Now they struggle to even get films made, let alone have them turn out good. They handled the pandemic better than they are handling things now.

I wonder that too. They haven’t even had THAT many flops to justify all this constant course correction. You’d think they were the Snyderverse at this point with the way they’ve been retooling projects and replacing directors. It really is a head scratcher.

I might chalk it up to a few things that were beyond their control, at least somewhat. I think Chadwick Boseman’s tragic passing affected their plans greatly. I think that after the success of Black Panther, he was going to be their new focal point (or one of the key players) in any big crossover projects. With Steve and Tony gone, you had to have people who would step into those roles and he absolutely would have been one of them. I think Brie Larson’s Captain Marvel was going to be the other one, but all the bull**** MAGAt incel rage directed at her after her (very successful) first movie made them second guess everything with that. And that’s really infuriating.

Then of course, you had them building the next phase around the Multiverse and Kang. But while multiverses are common in comics and books, I’m not sure how well they really work in movies and TV, at least when you’re talking about projects of this scale. That’s not to say that they can’t work but I think it leads to a lot of expectations of cameos and tons of weird new universes and if you don’t deliver on that, people are going to be disappointed. And it doesn’t help that a small indie movie called Everything Everywhere All at Once not only did the concept better than Marvel but even won Best Picture. And of course, it also didn’t help that Jonathan Majors turned out to be an abusive POS. Again, one of their centerpieces for the next phase was taken off the board (and in this case, it was totally his fault).

Alan Horn left Disney at the end of 2021.

Alan F. Horn, 78, will step down on Dec. 31 as chief creative officer of Disney Studios Content, a division that includes Marvel, Lucasfilm, Searchlight Pictures, Pixar, 20th Century Studios and Disney’s traditional animation and live-action movie operations. His position is not expected to be filled.

He was at WB during the Nolan Batman years.

Not everything under him was roses but their batting average was probably better before.

Matt Bomer has talked publicly (I think for the first time) about missing out on playing Superman after being outed. If that wasn’t ****ty enough, he doesn’t even know who outed him in the first place. I’m really glad he’s managed to carve out a name for himself with some impressive performances in TV and film, but I think he would have made a great Superman too. While Hollywood isn’t half as progressive as it pretends to be, at least coming out as gay doesn’t seem to be as risky for actors today as it was back then.

Though even if he had been officially cast, I’m still not sure the movie would have happened. I’m not sure if this article has all of its facts right, because as I understood it, Bomer was the top pick for the role when Ratner, not Abrams, was set to direct the film. Because Ratner (who is a scumbag but did seem to really want Bomer) even cast him as Superman in a TV commercial years later as a kind of consolation prize. Though maybe Bomer was also Abrams’ top pick. I remember Cavill saying in an interview that he was going to play Superman in FlyBy (when Abrams was still at the helm) but then the project got canceled. But I don’t know if that’s true.
I forgot how homophobic the 2000's were.

Alan Horn left Disney at the end of 2021.

He was at WB during the Nolan Batman years.

Not everything under him was roses but their batting average was probably better before.
MCU, Sequel Trilogy, Disney Live Action Remakes, Disney Animation Revival. Not too bad.

LOL Mahershala will be long wrapped on Jurassic Park 7: Jurassic World 4 before Blade gets a new director.

View attachment 93451
When the Mavericks beat the Celtics. Am I right? :o

Ojjp0N.gif

I’m still waiting for them to put stuff like In Living Color on Disney+ Canada!

Loved that show as a kid!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"