• Secure your account

A friendly reminder to our users, please make sure your account is safe. Make sure you update your password and have an active email address to recover or change your password.

The Superhero Cinematic Civil War

I really hope they don't 'kill off' the multiverse. It shouldn't be written in a way that they don't ever need to go back to doing multiverse stuff again unless a particular story really, really would benefit from it. But the way some people talk about Secret Wars as if it's going to be some amazing victory to see the Avengers wipe out/fail to save trillions upon trillions more people than died in IW just for the sake of having a fresh reset single universe at the end is disturbing and completely misses the point of superheroes. Not to mention how they already made an entire show about how such a singular universe is only even achievable by endlessly murdering innocent people.

In Hickman’s Everything Dies run in New Avengers, the Illuminati had those conversations about destroying realities and killing trillions. It was compelling stuff with the “good” guys (Cap was taken off the board early on ) forced to make awful decisions which failed nonetheless and led to the Secret Wars reboot. I think this would be great stuff to see on the big screen, even if a hero or three becomes irredeemable.

Last edited:
Reynolds's Deadpool will be around but I truly believe Jackman will be 100% done with Wolverine after Secret Wars. There is absolutely no reason for him to stick around beyond the novelty of interacting with characters like the real Deadpool and other major MCU characters, Tobey's Spider-Man, etc.

We all belived we was done after Logan....as long as he is alive and below 70 nothing is certain

Eh, the choice of the writer notwithstanding, it's still too early to jump to major conclusions about MCU X-Men. I need to see some more choices first.

Reynolds's Deadpool will be around but I truly believe Jackman will be 100% done with Wolverine after Secret Wars. There is absolutely no reason for him to stick around beyond the novelty of interacting with characters like the real Deadpool and other major MCU characters, Tobey's Spider-Man, etc.

Exactly.

However, if they keep Jackman as a Wolverine Variant for their Deadpool movies (and strictly for Deadpool), then I'm okay with that too.

We all belived we was done after Logan....as long as he is alive and below 70 nothing is certain
That was before the multiverse came into play. People are willing to look the other way after he was seemingly done after Logan for a few reasons. One being for the novelty of seeing Jackman's Wolverine interact with (the real) Deadpool plus the possibility of seeing him with the other main heroes of the MCU, plus Tobey's Spider-Man. The other reason being that the X-Men movies rolled very loose with their continuity so Jackman coming back in any capacity isn't all that blasphemous.

But since they'll be casting someone new to play Wolverine, to have Jackman continue playing him in any capacity outside of a little blink and you miss it cameos in Deadpool movies, as @Shinobi Shaw said, isn't the move.

I’m in the camp the first MCU X-men movie shouldn’t have Wolverine in it.

Nah, that’s like doing an Avengers movie without Iron Man, Wolverine should be there.

The only thing is, don’t make him the centerpiece of the team. That shouldn’t be hard, as X-Men 97 perfectly exhibited.

When the time finally comes, who would ya’ll like to see as the new Wolverine? I know Daniel Radcliffe’s name gets thrown around a lot, but I just can’t see it. He’s a great actor, he’s in amazing shape and he seems like a really good dude in real life, but I don’t think I could buy him as Wolvie. Logan needs to have a raw, gritty edge that I can’t see Radcliffe pulling off. I think people are so fixated on wanting to see a short actor in the role that their minds just jump to Radcliffe because he’s short.

My choice would be Jeremy Allen White (for a shorter Wolvie, at least), whose name I’ve also seen brought up. But his recent comments about Marvel have me thinking he’s not really interested in making these kinds of films.

I wouldn't put Wolverine in the first X-Men movie. I would do a Wolverine MCU solo movie instead and have him be around and join the team later

In a perfect world where Mark Ruffalo had a proper Hulk solo movie before development on MCU X-Men happened, I would've loved that.

But at this point, you gotta have Cykes, Wolvie and Storm in your first X-movie and come out swinging. That's the mutant trinity.

I don't think Wolverine is absolutely necessary for an X-Men movie to work. Look at First Class, for example. Yeah there's the fun 10-second cameo but at no point was I thinking, "This movie would have been even better if Wolverine was in it more."

The thing is, the MCU X-Men needs to be a hit and since Wolverine is arguably the most popular one, they pretty much have to include him. He can be a scene stealer but he shouldn't be the main character.

In a perfect world where Mark Ruffalo had a proper Hulk solo movie before development on MCU X-Men happened, I would've loved that.

But at this point, you gotta have Cykes, Wolvie and Storm in your first X-movie and come out swinging. That's the mutant trinity.

Yeah, while I would prefer a “first” X-Men film without Wolverine, I think it’s fine to have him there just as long as he doesn’t dominate the screen time like he has in the past. Cyke, Storm, Jean, Beast, Iceman and Angel should all feel like real, fleshed out characters.

Wolverine is just going to end up becoming too much the focal point exactly like before. The MCU did a good job of building around the non Spider-Man and such when building the MCU. I would take the same approach with the X-Men. Save Wolverine for later. Start small and build the team and the concept as the main priority.

My choice would be Jeremy Allen White (for a shorter Wolvie, at least), whose name I’ve also seen brought up. But his recent comments about Marvel have me thinking he’s not really interested in making these kinds of films.
Rule #1 of Hollywood: Never believe an actor.

When the time finally comes, who would ya’ll like to see as the new Wolverine? I know Daniel Radcliffe’s name gets thrown around a lot, but I just can’t see it. He’s a great actor, he’s in amazing shape and he seems like a really good dude in real life, but I don’t think I could buy him as Wolvie. Logan needs to have a raw, gritty edge that I can’t see Radcliffe pulling off. I think people are so fixated on wanting to see a short actor in the role that their minds just jump to Radcliffe because he’s short.

I wonder if anyone can be convincing as both Wolverine and Harry Potter. :D I don’t think he’d be terrible but I think there will be actors who are a more natural fit.

I’m with you on Iceman and Angel, but Jean I want there simply because I want the focus on and around Cyclops
I can cope with the others but Jean is too core a character for me to want her out in the first film. I want them to build around her, Cyclops, Storm and Beast.

Wolverine is just going to end up becoming too much the focal point exactly like before. The MCU did a good job of building around the non Spider-Man and such when building the MCU. I would take the same approach with the X-Men. Save Wolverine for later. Start small and build the team and the concept as the main priority.
They did, but that was also when they didn't have access to Spider-Man or any of the Fox-owned properties and they also didn't have Disney breathing down their necks at the time. If we were still in Phase 3 where nearly every movie was making north of $800M I don't think there'd be as much pressure on them if they wanted to make an X-Men movie without Wolverine but after Phase 4 and beyond hasn't gone quite the way they've hoped I'd be shocked if they left him out of the first full-MCU outing for the team.

They did, but that was also when they didn't have access to Spider-Man or any of the Fox-owned properties and they also didn't have Disney breathing down their necks at the time. If we were still in Phase 3 where nearly every movie was making north of $800M I don't think there'd be as much pressure on them if they wanted to make an X-Men movie without Wolverine but after Phase 4 and beyond hasn't gone quite the way they've hoped I'd be shocked if they left him out of the first full-MCU outing for the team.
The MCU grew precisely cause they built characters people connected to and didn't just toss in Spider-Man and such to dominate the narrative. This happens all too often with Wolverine, so I think the movie and future franchise health is better off waiting. You may hey a higher day 1 payday, but you also make worse movies by falling into the same traps FOX did, and thus hurt the franchise's overall potential. So I think using him in sequels and doing other stuff with him solo is the best way to go.

The MCU grew precisely cause they built characters people connected to and didn't just toss in Spider-Man and such to dominate the narrative. This happens all too often with Wolverine, so I think the movie and future franchise health is better off waiting. You may hey a higher day 1 payday, but you also make worse movies by falling into the same traps FOX did, and thus hurt the franchise's overall potential. So I think using him in sequels and doing other stuff with him solo is the best way to go.
I see the merit in it and I wouldn't have an issue with it but the cynic in me knows how they think and odds are they're going to throw Wolverine in to attract audiences. But again, that doesn't mean he'd need to be the main character either.

I’m with you on Iceman and Angel, but Jean I want there simply because I want the focus on and around Cyclops

You can still have the focus on Cyclops without her being in the movie.

The way I see it, Scott and Jean had a break up and his way of getting over it is stepping back in to the Xavier Institute to lead the X-Men and about him getting himself back on track to achieve the dream.

In the middle of that, he may rebound with Psylocke. :o

I see the merit in it and I wouldn't have an issue with it but the cynic in me knows how they think and odds are they're going to throw Wolverine in to attract audiences. But again, that doesn't mean he'd need to be the main character either.

And that’s ultimately what’s going to be very tricky with X-Men. They have a lot of vocal fans with a lot of opinions.

Gonna be hard to please us all.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WarMachine95
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"