The Superhero Cinematic Civil War

I’ll see myself out as I posted both reports, ugh!
:o
a5e8c280-66cd-436f-9f28-e390c9a1b8ee_text.gif

Just remember, Reeves and Pattinson did not sign up to have to share creative space. And come one, listen to what Pattinson has said, do you really think he has any interest in doing it outside of Reeve's control?

Frankly, Gunn should leave Batman to Reeves.
The other factor is that The Batman Saga's planned story might fundamentally break the status quo of the character in a way that is unworkable in an ongoing franchise.

Not starting with Dick as Robin is a choice, but Damian is definitely a character that tracks with Gunn and his predilections so I'm not surprised he'll be up first.

Which sucks because after all this time waiting to see the Batfamily again in a live action movie, we get this bloodthirsty ninja kid (who will also be with the Titans) and robbed of seeing Dick's growth from Boy Wonder to Nightwing.

Poor Tim will never get his moment in the live action sun, we'll probably see Duke before him.
Currently in the comics, Dick is the leader of the entire DC superhero community. His solo book wins Eisner awards every year as one of the best written. He routinely ranks #2 or #3 in polls of most popular hero.

But. Dude can’t be given the benefit of a film?

The Fantastic Four (1994)

I'm sure anyone bothering to read this already knows the storied history behind this independent superhero release. This is The Hype after all. However, for the uninitiated, the film was completed in 1994 and executive produced by Roger Corman and Bernd Eichinger (fun fact: Eichinger also produced the big-budget 2005 Fantastic Four movie for Fox). This film combines the FF's origin from The Fantastic Four #1 and Doom's origin from Fantastic Four Annual #2, although certain liberties were taken with the source material. The movie was never released officially and can only be watched on illegal bootleg copies.

Seriously, you can't make stuff like this up. Eichinger's production company Constantin Film hired Roger Corman to produce the movie but never had any intention of releasing it. In order to keep the Fantastic Four film rights they had to be in production by a certain date, so they hired Corman's company to make it on the cheap, not letting Corman or even Marvel know of their true intentions.

Both Corman's company and Marvel, drunk with dollar signs in their eyes after witnessing the box office tallies for Tim Burton's Batman movies, thought they had a sure-fire winner on their hands, with even the legendary Stan Lee visiting the set and gushing about the production to the trades. However, once principal photography wrapped, lore has it that Constantin slapped a cease-and-desist order on Corman's production company New World Pictures to stop them from releasing it. Realizing there was no point in throwing good money after bad, the ever frugal Corman abandoned the film in its rough unfinished state before it could enter post. However, director Oley Sassone cobbled together an unauthorized rough cut and the rest, as they say, is history.

I understand the pirated copy is very divisive, with many folks thinking it's trash while many others love it. Well, you can put me on the 'fan' side of this equation because I found it utterly charming and delightful. Yes the circulating version is very rough, but what else would viewers expect? The important thing is that the film captures everything that made the Fantastic Four property from the comics fun, colourful, and iconic. The performances are spirited, the family dynamic is believable, and, more over, the movie is a breezy good time. The sequence towards the end where Johnny 'flames on' and saves the day actually had me on the edge of my seat, and as others have pointed out, this felt like the most authentic live action version of Doctor Doom yet committed to film. Ben's pain over his new form hit all the right notes, and I liked how Sue actually revels in her new abilities in this interpretation, a nice change from the tortured, conflicted version of the character I've seen before in other media. A bit of a touch-up and a fresh coat of paint, and this could have been a fun little B-Movie, especially for kids...

I've watched four of these pre-MCU Marvel movies in a row now. I gotta say, even though none of them have been particularly great, they've all been fun, distinctive, and, dare I say it, memorable to varying degrees. I also found Man-Thing, Generation X, Elektra, and Nick Fury: Agent of S.H.I.E.L.D. on YouTube but I think I'll give the pre-MCU marathon a break for awhile and concentrate on some LGBTQIA+ films in celebration of Pride Month :yay:

JMLt.gif

The Fantastic Four (1994)

I'm sure anyone bothering to read this already knows the storied history behind this independent superhero release. This is The Hype after all. However, for the uninitiated, the film was completed in 1994 and executive produced by Roger Corman and Bernd Eichinger (fun fact: Eichinger also produced the big-budget 2005 Fantastic Four movie for Fox). This film combines the FF's origin from The Fantastic Four #1 and Doom's origin from Fantastic Four Annual #2, although certain liberties were taken with the source material. The movie was never released officially and can only be watched on illegal bootleg copies.

Seriously, you can't make stuff like this up. Eichinger's production company Constantin Film hired Roger Corman to produce the movie but never had any intention of releasing it. In order to keep the Fantastic Four film rights they had to be in production by a certain date, so they hired Corman's company to make it on the cheap, not letting Corman or even Marvel know of their true intentions.

Both Corman's company and Marvel, drunk with dollar signs in their eyes after witnessing the box office tallies for Tim Burton's Batman movies, thought they had a sure-fire winner on their hands, with even the legendary Stan Lee visiting the set and gushing about the production to the trades. However, once principal photography wrapped, lore has it that Constantin slapped a cease-and-desist order on Corman's production company New World Pictures to stop them from releasing it. Realizing there was no point in throwing good money after bad, the ever frugal Corman abandoned the film in its rough unfinished state before it could enter post. However, director Oley Sassone cobbled together an unauthorized rough cut and the rest, as they say, is history.

I understand the pirated copy is very divisive, with many folks thinking it's trash while many others love it. Well, you can put me on the 'fan' side of this equation because I found it utterly charming and delightful. Yes the circulating version is very rough, but what else would viewers expect? The important thing is that the film captures everything that made the Fantastic Four property from the comics fun, colourful, and iconic. The performances are spirited, the family dynamic is believable, and, more over, the movie is a breezy good time. The sequence towards the end where Johnny 'flames on' and saves the day actually had me on the edge of my seat, and as others have pointed out, this felt like the most authentic live action version of Doctor Doom yet committed to film. Ben's pain over his new form hit all the right notes, and I liked how Sue actually revels in her new abilities in this interpretation, a nice change from the tortured, conflicted version of the character I've seen before in other media. A bit of a touch-up and a fresh coat of paint, and this could have been a fun little B-Movie, especially for kids...

I've watched four of these pre-MCU Marvel movies in a row now. I gotta say, even though none of them have been particularly great, they've all been fun, distinctive, and, dare I say it, memorable to varying degrees. I also found Man-Thing, Generation X, Elektra, and Nick Fury: Agent of S.H.I.E.L.D. on YouTube but I think I'll give the pre-MCU marathon a break for awhile and concentrate on some LGBTQIA+ films in celebration of Pride Month :yay:

View attachment 93830
The glorious retro marathon continues! :D

Zaslav‘s eyes would be popping out of his head hearing about that Constantin tactic and thinking of a modern opportunity to implement it!

Glad you’re enjoying these, all are an interesting part of CBM history at the very least and certainly have their own charm.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"