The SUPERIOR Spider-Man

Discussion in 'The Comics' started by spida-man, Oct 10, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Wadaltmon

Wadaltmon S.P.I.D.E.R.-Man

I knew it! I totally knew it.

2. Thwip!

Thwip! Well-Known Member

ha I know it's not true. I just liked spitballing the more off the wall ideas haha

3. Spider-Aziz

Spider-Aziz Raul Boston's Dish Gaunt

How many times? How many deaths Ock went through?

4. Hobgoblin

Hobgoblin Veritas veritatum

The only one that counts, the neck snapping by Kaine.

5. stillanerd

stillanerd Well-Known Member

Okay, I'm now convinced the Superior Spider-Man is going to be
    Doc Ock in Peter's body after all, having been reformed, thanks to Peter, at the last minute.

Thing of it is, I, and probably a lot of readers, would have a HUGE problem with this. Aside from the obvious of having a Spider-Man who isn't Peter Parker, it basically means that Peter is essentially giving Doc Ock permission to continually deceive and manipulate the people Peter cares about. Now some would argue that Peter kind of does this already with his pretending not to be Spider-Man, but in this case you'd have Doc Ock pretending to be both Peter and Spider-Man, essentially taking advantage of the love and affection Peter's friends, family and loved ones have for him with Peter's blessing. Especially with regards to Mary Jane because, like it or not, this STILL amounts to Doc Ock taking advantage of her love for Peter and seducing her under false pretenses.

Furthermore, I really don't see how such a status quo can be maintainable. Remember what former editor Glenn Greenberg said in one of the Life of Reilly articles? He said one the primary reasons why the Clone Saga ended up being a disaster was because readers, particularly new ones, were confused as to who Ben Reilly was and why he was Spider-Man, which forced Marvel to have to constantly explain how Ben Reilly was the "real Peter Parker" but couldn't live his life as Peter because the Peter we all thought was real turned out to be a clone. It unnecessarily complicated things. Here you'd have a situation in which you'd have someone who looks exactly like Peter Parker, who everyone calls Peter Parker, only it's not actually Peter Parker, forcing Marvel to have to explain how it's really a reformed Doc Ock pretending to be Peter Parker and Spider-Man, how he got into Peter's body and what happened to the real Peter. Again, it over-complicates things.

Finally, even if Doc Ock is reformed due to Peter's influence (perhaps going as far as a "Dying Wish,") I still think it would very out of character for Doc Ock to want to continue pretending to be someone else for the rest of his life and letting that person get all the credit, even if it was to "honor their legacy," so to speak. That's NEVER been Doc Ock's MO. Sure, the conflict would be that Doc Ock would be thinking that Parker is the one getting all the respect and attention rather than himself, but there's bound to be a breaking point with an ego such as his.

Last edited: Dec 13, 2012
  6. KingMob

KingMob Nothing to see here

If thats the case, and he ends up being the new Spider-Man, I completely lost interest.

7. runawayboulder

runawayboulder 2016 NFL Pick Em CHAMP

What are the chances that even after 700 we still won't have any indication as to who becomes Superior? Is this something that's not going to be revealed until Superior SM #1?

8. Thwip!

Thwip! Well-Known Member

I think we'll almost be certain in Avenging and then it'll be completely confirmed in SSM #1 within the first few pages

9. Picard Sisko

Picard Sisko Prepare to be Assimilated

You know what? I'm done with comic books. Well, the new ones anyways. I will always read the classics because those are the best.

Anyone interested in this:

[​IMG]

10. Wadaltmon

Hey, Picard Sisko, I have that. ^^

11. runawayboulder

I have all the discs that GIT corp released. They're awesome. :up:

12. socool

socool True

The final page of 700 just leaked.

I read it...I don't know what to think...

We called it. Doc Ock is Spider-Man. Doc Ock (in Peter's body) and Peter (in Doc Ock's body) fight and when Peter tries to retransmit his mind, it fails and he just transmits their memories and thoughts. Peter sees that Doc Ock only ever wanted to be Spider-Man so he passes the mantle on to Ock and Ock vows to be "a better Spider-Man than Parker ever was...A SUPERIOR SPIDER-MAN"...

I give it a month.

13. VenomSpawn

VenomSpawn WAAAAAAAAA

That sucks, because Wacker said it'll last for years. :funny:

14. socool

socool True

I don't literally mean a month, but you get my point. I don't see this title having much promise. I feel like it's an idea that'll run out of steam fast.

15. runawayboulder

Stillanerd called it just a few short hours ago so kudos to him.

So I guess that Peter dies at the end? All I saw was a s****y scan and a lousy grammatical description.

16. runawayboulder

Good thing TMoB left yesterday until after the holidays lol!

17. WolfCypher

Can I give a shout out to [blackout]Vin Gonzalez[/blackout] being a candidate for Spider-Man?

18. armin101

armin101 New Member

damn well this isn't the best news to get before finals...yeah this just hurts especially when i think about the cover of Superior Spider-Man #2. As long as it's Ock i really hope they don't get together.

19. VenomSpawn

VenomSpawn WAAAAAAAAA

I dunno, man. I think it might be interesting. Seeing as how [BLACKOUT]Ock has always sort of been the dark mirror of Peter, now that he has this power[/BLACKOUT] it'll be interesting to see what he does with it.

20. Shockdingo

Shockdingo Symbiote luvin' loon

Socool: Wait, are you serious, you're not kidding? Huh. I'll have to see how that plays out, I'm not sure how I feel about this. Gotta give it some time.

21. VenomSpawn

VenomSpawn WAAAAAAAAA

Yeah, he's serious. I've seen the scans.

Unless the person who leaked those scans was Slott and it was a fake issue so he could say "LEL I TROL U" some more.

But that's unlikely.

22. Wadaltmon

It doesn't seem likely, but some things still don't make sense from the scans...
    If Ock is the Superior Spider-Man, then why is it that the talons are needed for climbing? Also, the ending seems a bit cliche, in my opinion. Ock doesn't seem like the kind of guy who would just come forward and say that he will be Spider-Man and become him. He was taking revenge, wasn't he?

23. Shockdingo

Shockdingo Symbiote luvin' loon

Huh, yea I just found the source of the hubub....bub. And I'm still confused as to the changes to Superior Spidey
    Or what, does Ock try to amp up his powers and this is a result?

24. socool

socool True

If you read the summary by the guy who started the thread where the scans were posted...

You find out that all along, Doc Ock wanted to be Spider-man...

25. Dan Ketch

Dan Ketch Well-Known Member

This is gay...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.