Comics The SUPERIOR Spider-Man

Status
Not open for further replies.
Gotta admit, Slott has me hooked. I still think the whole concept is ********, but Slott is managing to write it very well. I'm actually really enjoying it, and Stegman's art really helps. I love his stuff.

Plus, I'm glad Slott is acknowledging the stupidity of the bat signal. Never made much sense to me for the very reason Ock doesn't like it.

Yeah this has been pretty fun so far. And I'm totally excited that Miguel O'Hara is apparently going to appear in issue 7. In what capacity though, I wonder.

It's a shame Ramos is doing the art for that issue, though. :dry:

Yeah this has been pretty fun so far. And I'm totally excited that Miguel O'Hara is apparently going to appear in issue 7. In what capacity though, I wonder.

It's a shame Ramos is doing the art for that issue, though. :dry:

Bold: YES! Finally!
Italics: Aaaaand the feeling's gone. I honestly don't hate Ramos's art, but it gets annoying after a while....

So I'm starting to think Superior is really a dream. The way this entire issue read felt like a bad dream for Peter. He even pointed it out how crazy it is that no one has noticed he's acting like Dr. Horrible now. Also, little things like MJ repeating Crazy-town banana pants when we know Peter has never said that (yes I know it's a community reference but still) and also things like JJ suddenly liking Spider-Man. I don't care if he's taking a harder stance, if anything JJ would just criticize him harder if Spidey were to start acting like this. Everyone feels kind of OOC right now other than Carlie, and with Peter sitting back snarking the whole book, it feels entirely like this is still Peter's book and we're taking a Freaky Friday ride right now. It would explain why he's still alive and able to witness what is basically his worst nightmare.

Still, that said, I like the issue itself. It's very humorous and that shot of Ghost Spidey watching Ock NTR MJ was pretty epic.

Bold: YES! Finally!
Italics: Aaaaand the feeling's gone. I honestly don't hate Ramos's art, but it gets annoying after a while....
Especially when Ryan's art is so good.

Last edited:
More Spidey #3 preview images

Ryan Stegman's art is killing it.

and also things like JJ suddenly liking Spider-Man. I don't care if he's taking a harder stance, if anything JJ would just criticize him harder if Spidey were to start acting like this.

You didn't read #700, did you?

So I'm starting to think Superior is really a dream. The way this entire issue read felt like a bad dream for Peter. He even pointed it out how crazy it is that no one has noticed he's acting like Dr. Horrible now. Also, little things like MJ repeating Crazy-town banana pants when we know Peter has never said that (yes I know it's a community reference but still) and also things like JJ suddenly liking Spider-Man. I don't care if he's taking a harder stance, if anything JJ would just criticize him harder if Spidey were to start acting like this. Everyone feels kind of OOC right now other than Carlie, and with Peter sitting back snarking the whole book, it feels entirely like this is still Peter's book and we're taking a Freaky Friday ride right now. It would explain why he's still alive and able to witness what is basically his worst nightmare.

Still, that said, I like the issue itself. It's very humorous and that shot of Ghost Spidey watching Ock NTR MJ was pretty epic.

Especially when Ryan's art is so good.

kinda like that season opener of the original Dallas series where it was revealed that the entire previous season was merely Pam Ewing's bad dream?...

maan, that would be the ultimate slap in the fans' faces by Slott and Marvel if the Superior series was revealed to be nothing more than a bad dream... :doh:

a bad dream for the READERS is what it WOULD be, as well as a cheap and cheezy ploy by Slott and Co. if THAT were the case... :cmad:

I don't think that's what they are planning. The whole "I'm finding a way back" at the end of Superior #1 is clearly the key. It means it's not definitive, and Peter CAN find a way. Making this a dream would be meaningless imo.

You didn't read #700, did you?
I did. You can go back and look at my post on it in this very thread. That just helps my point. Why would JJ cheer Spidey on for crushing a villains jaw brutally in front of everyone? That just vindicates his fear of Spider-Man going too far one day. My impression of JJ has always been that even though he gives Spider-Man a hard time, deep down he only does it to keep him honest and he really believes in him because he never has gone too far. Doing things like that would only make JJ worse.

I did. You can go back and look at my post on it in this very thread. That just helps my point. Why would JJ cheer Spidey on for crushing a villains jaw brutally in front of everyone? That just vindicates his fear of Spider-Man going too far one day. My impression of JJ has always been that even though he gives Spider-Man a hard time, deep down he only does it to keep him honest and he really believes in him because he never has gone too far. Doing things like that would only make JJ worse.

While I can agree with you for most of what you said... there's a couple of things to bear in mind...

1) The villain who got his jaw busted was none other than the Scorpion... a villain that was created by JJJ himself. A villain who has tried to kill JJJ many times over the years. I can totally get behind JJJ cheering as he watches the Scorpion getting beaten up.

2) JJJ's stance on Spider-Man may have softened a little since Marla's death and Spider-Island, as well as his stance on "keeping his city safe" has definitely hardened... to the point of approved brutality.

This change in JJJ comes across as very organic in my mind, so I have no issues with how things are playing out...

:yay:

kinda like that season opener of the original Dallas series where it was revealed that the entire previous season was merely Pam Ewing's bad dream?...

maan, that would be the ultimate slap in the fans' faces by Slott and Marvel if the Superior series was revealed to be nothing more than a bad dream... :doh:

a bad dream for the READERS is what it WOULD be, as well as a cheap and cheezy ploy by Slott and Co. if THAT were the case... :cmad:

Is a brain swap NOT a cheap and cheezy ploy? I mean, talk about scraping the bottom of the "lame 1960's comic book conventions" barrel...

This is the cheezy stuff that gives comics a bad name.

Vulture kind of looks like Ian McKellan in that art (the top panel). I'm kind of disappointed that he is still using the wingless look.

Vulture kind of looks like Ian McKellan in that art (the top panel). I'm kind of disappointed that he is still using the wingless look.
Marking this post for when they cast McKellan as Vulture in TASM3.

EDIT: Holy **** I just noticed Ghost Peter is in the background in that panel...he still has access to Ock's memories...

Last edited:
It's funny to me, a lot of people seem to love Stegman's work. But he hasn't really done that much. Scarlet Spider has been his longest running stint, hasn't it?

I didn't think he was all that special on Scarlet Spider but he's really brought his A game to Superior.

Stegman seems to be finding his style, much like Bagley did during his Amazing run. I find Stegman's Scarlet Spider work a lot like Bagley's New Warriors work, was good, but neither hit their stride at that point.

I'm really looking forward to see where Superior is going with the ghost Peter stuff, Marvel NOW has thrust into a very interesting time in Marvel Comics. Now if I only could stop biting off more comics than I can chew....

I'm really looking forward to see where Superior is going with the ghost Peter stuff, Marvel NOW has thrust into a very interesting time in Marvel Comics. Now if I only could stop biting off more comics than I can chew....
I know what you mean. By the end of next month I'll be buying Avengers, New Avengers, Uncanny Avengers, All-New X-Men, Uncanny X-Men, Superior Spider-Man, Avenging Spider-Man, Fantastic Four, FF, Thor: God of Thunder, Indestructible Hulk, Hawkeye, Captain Marvel, Guardians of the Galaxy, Nova....

And that's not even touching on the DC titles.

I want to buy DC titles but just simply cannot afford it, if I don't want other things I could...but I cant focus all my money towards comics.

I was thinking about trying out Fantastic Four, Indestructible Hulk, and Uncanny Avengers. But with GotG and Uncanny X-Men on the way I don't think its feasible.

If you're willing to pick up just one more I'd definitely recommend Hulk out of those three, it's great right now.

If you're willing to pick up just one more I'd definitely recommend Hulk out of those three, it's great right now.

Hulk is...well...Incredible.
I'm on a very modest budget, now. So, I only pick up the following Marvel titles:
-Spider-man (whatever adjective, but no Ultimate)
-Daredevil
-Hawkeye
-Indestructible Hulk

DC, I just get Batman and Fables, which I cannot recommend enough. With Image I get Saga and The Walking Dead, which I just assume everyone reads.

I would REALLY love to be readin Young Avengers, but, sadly, I cannot justify the money. Guardians of the Galaxy may have to be purchased, though. McNiven's pencils always seem to get my money.

As for Stegman on Superior, he is killing it. The story and art both have me hooked. I wasn't sure I would enjoy this title, but here I am, anxiously awaiting the next installment.

A couple thoughts on SSM 2...

Peter Parker has completely become the annoying jimmny cricket of the book and is one of the worst characters in it (exactly as I feared would happen). Crazy town banana pants...just #@$^ing crazy town banana pants.

Ock's reasoning about MJ came out of no where and made no sense. By the logic no hero or villain should ever be with anyone romantically or socially and they should leave their families at once.

Why doesn't carlie mention her suspicions (although it's stupid these are still suspicions at this point) to MJ?

How did Ock live that long and just discover *********ion now?

How much of a joke is the chameleon if he always gets discovered impersonating Peter immediately but ock can be completely out of character, have someone straight up told what has happened but only that one person who was FREAKING TOLD what happened is even a little suspicious? Explain.

This book is sadly not as fun as I thought it would be. Without the MJ triangle and with Peter being a buzz kill a lot of the fun ways they could have explored this have disappeared within two issues. So far the only Superior Spider-Man showing I've enjoyed has been Avenging with the X-Men which featured everything I wanted from Ock as Spider-Man and with actual intelligent people around him. Wolverine has thus far proven to be smarter than Peter's supporting cast, his coworkers and daredevil with ease.

How did Ock live that long and just discover *********ion now?

After his accident, his mechanical arms did it for him while he slept...

I can't speak for what happened prior to that... cheap hookers I would assume...

:dry:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kathielee
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"