BvS The Superman suit Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
For me, the changes don't have to be major.

We don't even need the tights added.

BUT MAKE IT LOOK LESS ALIEN.

Even if within the story Ma Kent makes him a new suit of similar design, just make it look less alien, and more like a costume.

I concur. Just brighter. Whole movie can be more vibrant.

Why is it such a big deal if the suit is alien? And what would the point of these changes be? They've already established that Kryptonians have a different culture as far as wearing armor, suits, and capes. They're not going to simply negate the culture they've built up by changing Superman's suit so that it's less "alien." That's basically implying that Clark rejects his Kryptonian origins despite the fact that he had no idea where he came from.

It doesn't have to have such a tremendously detailed reason for being changed. Really, it's very simple.

The changes being:
Brighter blue
Yellow S on the cape.
A redesign of the waist area to make room for a thin red belt of some sort.

Clark and Lois can clear this up in a short and simply conversation, which could be done right at the beginning of the movie after a tremendously fantastic opening sequence.
On their way to the Planet, after Supes has quickly changed back to Clark and is discussing what just happened with Lois and which one of them will get the "Scoop" on this one.

Lois: Good job. People are warming up to you.
(smiling) Love the changes the changes to the suit by the way, looks less....alien!
Superman: (Contently) Exactly.

That simply line "People are warming up to you" Explain so much of what took place in MOS, and how some people might still be blaming Superman for what they know or may not know was an inevitable confrontation between Supes and Zod.

It's not to imply in any way that he's distancing himself from his heritage, but just that he's a citizen of Earth now and wants people to see him for what he's trying to do. Because let's face it. The current suit, ( And I really must stress that I DO like it, a lot) It's so dark and metallic looking and that's generally not very terrestrial in appearance and I wouldn't put it past Clark being concerned that the second people see him they will immediately think " ALIEN", which he obviously is, but Earth is and always has been his home as far as he's concerned and his appearance needs to reflect that. It's not any more complicated than that.

Exactly.

You hit it right on the head.

Plus, there's the simple fact that his suit was the same as the Kryptonians who came to earth and leveled part of a major city.

And for the general public, it would be considerably tough for them to trust a guy who looks, at least in terms of attire, like the people who just tried to destroy them.

Exactly.

Plus, there's the simple fact that his suit was the same as the Kryptonians who came to earth and leveled part of a major city.

And for the general public, it would be considerably tough for them to trust a guy who looks, at least in terms of attire, like the people who just tried to destroy them.

But would people really overlook the "city-leveling" if he had a slightly different outfit? Did people have his previous outfit memorized?

This seems like an excuse for the costume to appeal more to "purists."

Why is it such a big deal if the suit is alien? And what would the point of these changes be? They've already established that Kryptonians have a different culture as far as wearing armor, suits, and capes. They're not going to simply negate the culture they've built up by changing Superman's suit so that it's less "alien." That's basically implying that Clark rejects his Kryptonian origins despite the fact that he had no idea where he came from.

1. See my previous post for why he'd change it.

2. For the past 75 years, the main way Superman has displayed being proud of his alien heritage is through the symbol in his chest.

What else do they need?

Now that doesn't mean get rid of everything but that, but if they tweaked the suit and/or removed the elements introduced in MOS, other than those core elements that make him recognizable, then why fret?

Exactly.

How does this...
Man-Of-Steel-Henry-Cavill-Kal_El-3.jpg

look anything like this?
977531_10152058213439325_1366946844_o.jpg

3092595-faora,+zod+and+jax-ur.png

The sheer difference in colour is especially evident, especially Zod and co's use of armor whereas Superman lacks armor. Moreover, Zod's undersuit is not the same as Superman's. Not to mention, if people witnessed Superman fighting against them, don't you think they'd think twice about what his motives really are? (why would an alien fight his own kind? The army being accepting of him etc).

Exactly.

Right, it's like a constant small reminder every time he saved someone that members of his race tried to wipe out mankind.
The changes could represent his link to mankind as well as his kryptonian heritage. To say that he's proud of his origins, but he belongs to Earth now.
Small changes, great message.

Last edited:
How does this...
*Superman*
look anything like this?
*Zod and crew*

The sheer difference in colour is especially evident, especially Zod and co's use of armor whereas Superman lacks armor. Moreover, Zod's undersuit is not the same as Superman's. Not to mention, if people witnessed Superman fighting against them, don't you think they'd think twice about what his motives really are? (why would an alien fight his own kind? The army being accepting of him etc).
They don't need to be visually identical. Few people even saw both Superman and Zod. But when the news reports on Superman, they will take note of his unusual attire, and it won't be hard for them to piece together that the unusual attire that all of the Kryptonians wore is the same Kryptonian clothing. Even Superman is wearing Kryptonian clothing, even if they don't know exactly how similar it is to the other Kryptonian's clothing.

Basically, it doesn't really matter if Clark is wearing the same suit as Zod (and he is wearing the same suit that Zod's dead body would be found in), all that matters is that Superman wears Kryptonian clothing. He's wearing the clothing of the invaders. He's choosing to look like "one of them" rather than "one of us".

I am pretty happy with what we already have but a few minor changes i think it could benefit from such as the texture on the belt and shield and perhaps the colors slightly.

I really hope BvS looks like a different film in the same way that Batman Begins feels like an entirely different film to rest of the series.

SUPERMAN SUIT WILL HAVE SOME TWEAKS;

Fans have asked and wondered… will the Man of Steel’s costume be changed for the sequel? And the answer is in: YES! We don’t know to what extent, though. Costume Designer Michael Wilkinson, who also worked on costuming for Man of Steel, like those amazing Kryptonian Council Member costumes, is returning the unofficially titled sequel Batman vs Superman/ Man of Steel 2.
In an interview with CineMovie, Michael revealed they’ve made some changes to superman’s super suit, “We are now in the stage where we’re refining our designs with the last series of camera tests and doing our final tweaks in preparation for shooting.”
Michael is also responsible for designing a whole new Batsuit for new Batman actor Ben Affleck, as well as the Wonder Woman costume Gal Gadot will be wearing in the first big screen appearance of the Amazon.
Michael is also very excited about working on this project. CineMovie writes:
Wilkinson adds that he pinches himself daily when he comes to work on Batman vs Superman because he feels honored and “tremendously excited” to be involved with a project whose iconic “characters will be seen for the next generation of filmmakers.”

Source:CineMovie.tv

They don't need to be visually identical. Few people even saw both Superman and Zod. But when the news reports on Superman, they will take note of his unusual attire, and it won't be hard for them to piece together that the unusual attire that all of the Kryptonians wore is the same Kryptonian clothing. Even Superman is wearing Kryptonian clothing, even if they don't know exactly how similar it is to the other Kryptonian's clothing.

Basically, it doesn't really matter if Clark is wearing the same suit as Zod (and he is wearing the same suit that Zod's dead body would be found in), all that matters is that Superman wears Kryptonian clothing. He's wearing the clothing of the invaders. He's choosing to look like "one of them" rather than "one of us".

No, No. That he decided to use the kryptonian suit doesn't mean he's the same as Zod's army. If you notice superman suit colors are brighter than for example Jor-el or even Zod. And the cape is totally different as for example Faora's, Zod, Jor-el and that is the difference between them, that the kryptonians soldiers worn an armor. I see some difference between their suits and Superman's suit.
He wears the kryptonian suit because he's kryptonian but as Jor-el said he's the bridge between two people. His post-heroic acts and the fact he will embrace the best of both societies is the key. IMO that has nothing to do with clothing.

What about when news breaks that the army co-operated with Superman? Or when the army convinces the government that Superman is one of us? Granted, there will be naysayers (Luthor for instance), but for the most part, I can't find any validity in the argument that his unusual attire means that humanity has something to worry about. Especially when you take the events of Man of Steel's conclusion into account.

It does matter, if you see a colourful undersuit fighting against a bunch of black undersuits and you're being perpetually told that this person is a threat to humanity. It's going to cause cognitive dissonance: why would a Kryptonian fight against his own people if he would've benefitted? If he was one of them, wouldn't he fight against us AND wear black/armor like them? Basically you can think of Zod and co's attire as emblematic of a gang through their clothing, while Superman's is different.

Moreover, just because he's keeping his suit, it doesn't mean that he's choosing sides. You are missing the point entirely if you want Superman to change his costume for the sake of humanity. The whole point of the Superman symbolism, in context of MOS, is for him to be the bridge between Kryptonians and humankind. How can he accomplish this if he's rejecting his Kryptonian heritage/aka updating his suits to suit humanity?

You people focus too much on the attire, when it should be the actions of Superman that should determine what kind of man he is in the public's eyes. By fighting against Zod's plan to terraform Earth into Krypton, is he not fighting for mankind? By surrendering himself to the military, is he not also fighting for mankind?

No, No. That he decided to use the kryptonian suit doesn't mean he's the same as Zod's army.
I didn't say that it did, but it is easy to understand why some xenophobic individuals would be upset about it. Luthor would say, "Look at this supposed 'hero', this alien, wearing the same garment as the invaders who decimated our city! He wants us to trust him, but we cannot! He is not one of us, he is one of them!" But it wouldn't just be Luthor. If intelligent alien life suddenly appeared to us, A LOT of people wouldn't trust them AT ALL regardless of what they look like or what they do. Look at the political and cultural divide in the US already, and imagine injecting a possibly benevolent alien god. How would the people react?

It doesn't matter if the suit isn't exactly the same or if the colors are different. Superman is an alien who wants to be accepted as human, but in reality, he'd have a hard time so long as he outwardly and clearly self-identifies as one of the invading aliens rather than making it clear that he considers himself human. In the comics, no part of his suit was alien originally. Then they decided that the chest emblem was alien and that was OK. Then the whole suit was alien. And in the New 52, that works OK, because Clark was acting as Superman in a similarly designed "costume" (tshirt/jeans) for a while before he ever put on the alien armor. He had proven himself an American hero already. But in Man of Steel, his introduction to the world is shrouded in Earth's First Contact with aggressive extra terrestrials and they just happen to the be of the same alien race as Superman. So when you tie Superman's origins to an alien invasion of his own people, Superman would need to be careful with exactly how much of his Kryptonian heritage he shows off. They don't HAVE TO address this fact, of course, but it would make sense if they WANTED to.

And as for the military backing him up, the only thing the people of Earth have witnessed of Superman was a crazy battle that destroyed a LOT of property and him using his bare hands to break the neck of another superpowered alien. Regardless of his intentions or the military trusting in him, it should be VERY easy to understand why many people would fear Superman and not trust him at all. People would blame Superman for the Kryptonians even invading in the first place, blame him for much of the death and destruction from that day, etc. It doesn't matter if Superman aims to do good, people will fear and hate him.

I always thought having a shield on the back of the cape looked tacky. I'd rather it stay plain. I can't imagine what would possess him to make that alteration in the first place.

Agreed, most wholeheartedly. I don't get the near worship he gets sometimes. I thought he was terrific, but the lavish praise he gets sometimes seems a bit overdone to me.

I ask that question all the time about Nolan's and Bale's Batman. I am team Keaton here.

I just don't understand why they need to tweak anything just Why ?

even TASM suit was Amazing and now they changed it in sequel why ?

is this coming from under the Influence of Nolan Batman like the way he changed the BB suit in TDK ?

I don't understand why they would change it either. Maybe they didn't get the memo that it was awesome?

is this coming from under the Influence of Nolan Batman like the way he changed the BB suit in TDK ?

I just love that they're not afraid to go all out comic spidey. I love the bright colours and the big white eyes...so excited!!

I don't understand why they would change it either. Maybe they didn't get the memo that it was awesome?
There's no such thing as perfection. Even something which is good can always be improved.

They said tweaks, not makeovers.

I actually liked the metallic look of the suit. I can see why some would want it toned down. Maybe they'll give him a fuller belt, and maybe certain aspects will be more pronounced, like the top of the boots or something. Even though the boots were dead on and great also.

1. The potential changes to the MOS suit would probably be made due to the first movie's story requiring the initial changes. Also, first movie's design is different from what Snyder wanted to use. With the story freedom to use something different in the seque, one would expect he would.

2. The ASM2 suit is different due the overwhelmingly negative response the first one got, as well as the fact the initial changes were necessary to the vision of the first film's story.

3. No. Its just a coincidence.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"