The Superman suit Thread

Discussion in 'Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice' started by John-An, Nov 13, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. elgaz

elgaz Well-Known Member

Personally I thought the MOS costume was nigh-on perfect and doesn't need any changes. Superman doesn't really wear his costume primarily for armour purposes (like Batman, arguably) so it doesn't make sense that he would be continually tweaking or upgrading it.

We have yet to ascertain whether Kal-El keeps the majority of the costume under his clothes when in Clark Kent guise, or whether he carries it with him somehow and just changes into it at superspeed. But if any changes were to be made to the costume, I think the easiest explanation to swallow would be that the changes somehow better facilitate his switching between his Superman guise and Clark Kent guise.

2. Rowsdower!

Rowsdower! Well-Known Member

I think this is the first time I've seen anyone complain about the abs on the suit. I even remember a bunch of people here claiming for a while that those were 100% Henry's abs, which was kinda funny. I do agree that the look fake in some stills, but on film, they looked great.

Most of the complaints I've seen from diehard purists were about the trunks being gone, and about the belt design.

3. MydnightPhoenix

MydnightPhoenix Lois Lane --> Leia Lane

I don't think this suit could fit under his clothes, I think that aspect is going to have to go. Plus I always wondered where his boots went when he did that.....and the cape.

4. roach

roach I am the night

not really...I think he's getting into character...and if they are about to film the "don't threaten my mom" scene he may be holding on to anger.

5. ЯɘvlveR

ЯɘvlveR danneB

well, wearing bigger clothes in order to fit the suit underneath may help the disguise. i think it may be time for a fat suit. fat supes. fat cavill.

6. Goshdarn Batman

It was a joke:oldrazz:

7. Unbreakable Lex

Unbreakable Lex Criminal Mastermind

Was it ever explained why Kal El's suit was blue with the red cape and looked nothing like the colors Jor El wore? Or anyone else on Krypton for that matter?

8. Lencho01

Lencho01 Shazoogle! Shazoogle!

Nope.

9. Krumm

Krumm Beer Snob

I've actually grown to like some of the injustice designs... some and Superman and Batman are definitely not included in that list.

10. Zorex

Zorex I'm 100% 50/50

Not in-film, no, but I think, based on everything I read and watched of supplemental materials, that it was meant to show how much brighter and more optimistic Kryptonian society was in its past, during its period of exploration and expansion when the scout ship originally left Krypton. This, contrasted with the more faded, dulled colors of Kryptonian clothing we see in the film on Jor-El, Lara, Zod and the council.

11. elgaz

elgaz Well-Known Member

The suit was thousands of years old apparently. I'd like to think that Krypton once had bright and varied colours of suits for all the regal families/houses, but as their civilisation grew old and less passionate about life in general (as evidenced by them giving up exploration and becoming more cold/clinical in their attitudes towards population control), so too did their colours become more muted and sterile.

The aged Krypton we saw at the beginning of MOS was depicted in various shades of grey, dull gold, dark blue and black.

[​IMG]

I don't think this was any accident on Snyder's part. Superman's suit is not a polar opposite in that he's not wearing white or something ridiculously bright. It's obviously Kryptonian, with the majority of it composed of dark blue. To me though, the blue is much richer than what the other Kryptonians wore, with splashes of red and bright gold also signifying the differences that his existence represents; a natural birth, a return to an older way that the Kryptonians lost, hope.

[​IMG]

12. InJustice

InJustice Well-Known Member

Elgaz, you bring up a good point, especially consider Jor-El wore this suit, which shows the colours a bit more nicely.

[​IMG]

Though, I think the colours work to symbolize the different factions that Kryptonians are a part of: Black for Military, Blue for Science, etc.

13. Krumm

Krumm Beer Snob

Good points.

I've actually considered Superman's suit to be more of an ambassador suit as it was included on the scout ship. It would be something that Kryptonians would wear when meeting a new planet's inhabitants and, because of that, the suit needed more vibrant colors.

14. The Guard

The Guard Well-Known Member

I think it was pretty clearly this, even without seeing those supplemental materials. Jor-El himself wore a darker, more "tarnished" version of the blue suit.

15. elgaz

elgaz Well-Known Member

Agreed. Jor-El's cape for instance is much darker and more 'worn' looking than the vibrant red of Superman's one.

Interesting to note that Jor-El's cape in MOS is almost the same colour as Superman's one in Superman Returns. There, I've said it :D

16. Rowsdower!

Rowsdower! Well-Known Member

Yeah, but at least Jor-El's cape didn't look like it doubled as a shower curtain.

17. MydnightPhoenix

MydnightPhoenix Lois Lane --> Leia Lane

It looks like a shower curtain to me.
    Also I recall hearing somewhere that Superman's suit is a diplomatic suit worn on other planets.

18. ЯɘvlveR

ЯɘvlveR danneB

eh, i took it to mean that the suit was mad to order for him on the ship.

even if it was the ship that brought kara, i think that would have been too convenient.

19. adeel7861

adeel7861 Well-Known Member

Can anyone explain to me why does his S look so dirty and smudgy? I never understood that, did they do that on purpose to give it a more battlesuit feel? or was it for symbolic reasons representing the dark & gloomy world around him & showing Superman is not fully Superman yet and has to learn to officially become the symbol of hope..and when that happens his S might be shown cleaner then? I think im too high lol

20. bluerayer

bluerayer MCU

Maybe because its thousands of years old? :huh:

21. adeel7861

adeel7861 Well-Known Member

then why the rest of his suit is cleaner?

22. bluerayer

bluerayer MCU

I dunno? :huh:

23. SpideyFan866

SpideyFan866 Well-Known Member

In a perfect world, we'd get this in BVS:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

24. Goshdarn Batman

What? Superman squashing flies while flying?:hehe:

I don't like that suit. The belt is too weird... And where's the underpants?:cmad:

25. regwec

regwec Make Mine Marble

I hate the fussy little red cuffs.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.