Daredevil The Supporting Cast Thread

bluerayer

MCU
Reaction score
I thought there should be a thread to discuss the supporting cast of Daredevil. Which characters do you want to see and who should play them.

Obviously Matt Murdocks father, Battlin' Jack Murdock, needs to be on the show. At least for the pilot but maybe for flashbacks as well. Dunno who could play him though.

Also, it would be nice to see Turk. Im drawing a blank on an actor for him too.

The guy doesn't deserve to be typecast, but how about Andre Royo for Turk (maybe too old now?)? I do agree that Turk needs to be thrown through a window at some point.

I'd also add:
Ben Urich
Betsy Beatty (because I want Melvin Potter/Gladiator)
Eric Slaughter
Stick
Battlin' Jack Murdock, of course, will appear (along with the Fixer and all that).

The guy doesn't deserve to be typecast, but how about Andre Royo for Turk (maybe too old now?)? I do agree that Turk needs to be thrown through a window at some point.

I'd also add:
Ben Urich
Betsy Beatty (because I want Melvin Potter/Gladiator)
Eric Slaughter
Stick
Battlin' Jack Murdock, of course, will appear (along with the Fixer and all that).

I like your list, doh, i forgot Ben Urich, i was gonna type that but i plain forgot about it. Andre Royo...I dunno who that is. I checked his IMDB page and he was on the Wire.(Which i failed to see, due to it being on at the wrong hours) He seems to work in tv mostly so that's a plus. And he kinda looks like turk. Just give him a 'stache and a trenchcoat. Oh, what about Josie?

-Foggy Nelson.
-Karen Page.
-Ben Urich.
-Battlin'" Jack Murdock.
-Elektra.

Mike Murdock,
do you think they should have Ben Urich find out that Matt Murdock is Daredevil on the show? They had that in the movie.

^ For a second, I thought you were suggesting that Mike Murdock be a character :wow:

I'm toying with the idea. If it does occur, it shouldn't occur in the same point chronologically as in the comics. Instead, it should occur at the very end of the season. The storyline I picture for season one is roughly some vague point before #168 (my idea includes "In the Hands of Bullseye" (160) and "Till Death Do Us Part" (166). Naturally, it would include "Expose" (164) as well if we're using this idea) up to #181 or 182. Ben Urich would be introduced as a minor character early on, but take on a major role in nearly getting "spiked" by Elektra while trying to expose the Kingpin. After that, having him try to find out who Daredevil is would be a nice little sideplot that ultimately ends in learning this information and deciding not to do anything about it. The payoff is bigger. It's more personal too because of the interaction between Ben and Matt throughout the season (not necessarily positive interaction either, arguably. While I'm sure there's mutual admiration, Matt almost gets Ben killed). In the end, though, Ben realizes that Daredevil is too important for the city to reveal Matt's identity.

As a tangent, one of the things I dislike about where Daredevil has gone is that he's lost his secret identity. That being said, having people find out does help shakeup the status quo. If I were creating a season 2, it would be some mixture of Born Again (after the Kingpin finds out), Hardcore (assuming the Kingpin loses power at the end of the Defenders team up), and the stuff having to do with the Hand (187 to 190), but that seems to be a complete convoluted mess. But one ongoing thing (leaving aside the Hand stuff, which is just to set up an Elektra spinoff) is that a secret identity is hard to keep forever. In the first season, only Ben and Elektra would know. In the second season, the Kingpin would find out. At the end, it's possible the whole city would be on the verge of finding out. It's also possible to do Born Again and Daredevil Hardcore as a Season 3, meaning no Kingpin in Season 2. The only hesitation I have is some version of Hardcore is a convenient way to introduce Typhoid Mary as the distraction that allows the Kingpin to come back.

I like your list, doh, i forgot Ben Urich, i was gonna type that but i plain forgot about it. Andre Royo...I dunno who that is. I checked his IMDB page and he was on the Wire.(Which i failed to see, due to it being on at the wrong hours) He seems to work in tv mostly so that's a plus. And he kinda looks like turk. Just give him a 'stache and a trenchcoat. Oh, what about Josie?

Andre Royo played Bubbles, a homeless drug addict turned police covert informant who is possibly one of the coolest characters on the show. You should go watch The Wire. It might be the best show ever :p

No idea about Josie. I feel the ideal cast to cull from would be sitcoms made in the past five years, but I don't really watch any.

Does anyone have any thoughts on Heather Glenn? She's probably too complicated of a character to fit into thirteen episodes along with everything else and she ended up having so much baggage that they killed her off, but she was Matt's girlfriend for quite awhile. Is she worth having on the show or forgetting about?

Last edited:
^ For a second, I thought you were suggesting that Mike Murdock be a character :wow:

I'm toying with the idea. If it does occur, it shouldn't occur in the same point chronologically as in the comics. Instead, it should occur at the very end of the season. The storyline I picture for season one is roughly some vague point before #168 (my idea includes "In the Hands of Bullseye" (160) and "Till Death Do Us Part" (166). Naturally, it would include "Expose" (164) as well if we're using this idea) up to #181 or 182. Ben Urich would be introduced as a minor character early on, but take on a major role in nearly getting "spiked" by Elektra while trying to expose the Kingpin. After that, having him try to find out who Daredevil is would be a nice little sideplot that ultimately ends in learning this information and deciding not to do anything about it. The payoff is bigger. It's more personal too because of the interaction between Ben and Matt throughout the season (not necessarily positive interaction either, arguably. While I'm sure there's mutual admiration, Matt almost gets Ben killed). In the end, though, Ben realizes that Daredevil is too important for the city to reveal Matt's identity.

As a tangent, one of the things I dislike about where Daredevil has gone is that he's lost his secret identity. That being said, having people find out does help shakeup the status quo. If I were creating a season 2, it would be some mixture of Born Again (after the Kingpin finds out), Hardcore (assuming the Kingpin loses power at the end of the Defenders team up), and the stuff having to do with the Hand (187 to 190), but that seems to be a complete convoluted mess. But one ongoing thing (leaving aside the Hand stuff, which is just to set up an Elektra spinoff) is that a secret identity is hard to keep forever. In the first season, only Ben and Elektra would know. In the second season, the Kingpin would find out. At the end, it's possible the whole city would be on the verge of finding out. It's also possible to do Born Again and Daredevil Hardcore as a Season 3, meaning no Kingpin in Season 2. The only hesitation I have is some version of Hardcore is a convenient way to introduce Typhoid Mary as the distraction that allows the Kingpin to come back.

Andre Royo played Bubbles, a homeless drug addict turned police covert informant who is possibly one of the coolest characters on the show. You should go watch The Wire. It might be the best show ever :p

No idea about Josie. I feel the ideal cast to cull from would be sitcoms made in the past five years, but I don't really watch any.

Does anyone have any thoughts on Heather Glenn? She's probably too complicated of a character to fit into thirteen episodes along with everything else and she ended up having so much baggage that they killed her off, but she was Matt's girlfriend for quite awhile. Is she worth having on the show or forgetting about?

Yeah, wasn't she Matt's first real girlfriend? Also, she knew he was Daredevil right? Maybe she could be the one who makes the costume for DD? Since he cant see. I mean, how the heck does a non seeing person come up with the DD suit anyway? I realize they would be changing some things then but did we get a proper "origin" for his costume? Note: I have mostly read Frank Millers Daredevil and the occasional issue back in the late 70s/early 80s.

Well, Foggy is definatly the most important member of Daredevil's supporting cast. I think Sean Astin is pretty much the perfect casting choice for him.

Ben Urich is another character they need to have, though I'm not as certain at casting him. Maybe Brennan Brown?
500px-POI_0210_Donnelly.png

Speaking of Urich, will Marvel be able to use the Daily Bugle in their shows, since it's so closely tied to Spider-man?

Sean Astin could work. Doesn't Foggy have his own thread? I know nothing about Brennan Brown, but he seems fine from looks for Urich.

My guess (and I've thought about this before) is that they will not be able to use the Daily Planet. I don't think there's a hard and fast rule for how they determine who belongs to what. My impression is it has to do with which character the thing is more associated. Kingpin is strongly associated with both, so he's in both. Ben Urich himself is associated with Daredevil. However, the newspaper, which is the one Peter Parker works for, is still very much Spider-Man.

I would hope they could work something out, but I'm not very optimistic.

Sean Astin could work. Doesn't Foggy have his own thread? I know nothing about Brennan Brown, but he seems fine from looks for Urich.

My guess (and I've thought about this before) is that they will not be able to use the Daily Planet. I don't think there's a hard and fast rule for how they determine who belongs to what. My impression is it has to do with which character the thing is more associated. Kingpin is strongly associated with both, so he's in both. Ben Urich himself is associated with Daredevil. However, the newspaper, which is the one Peter Parker works for, is still very much Spider-Man.

Yeah I agree WB/DC would be pissed if they did :D

I'm really a fan of the classic 'girl Friday' arch-type so I hope to see Karen Page as she was and not what she became eventhough that was a classic storyline.

I'd like to see a more modern take on Karen myself. If they're going to the trouble of setting it in modern-day Hell's Kitchen, then the characters should reflect modern times. Using a style that has been obsolete for decades just wouldn't work. And the addiction storyline could make for really good character work if done right. They could just cut out the prostitution angle if they want to and keep the drug part of it. But I'd save that storyline for potential future seasons, not this one.

Brown hasn't been in much, but he did a really good job as Special Agent Donnelly on Person of Interest. That and, like you said, he has the right look about him.

As for the Bugle, I wouldn't be too suprised if the could work out a deal with Sony that would let them use the Bugle, but not J.J.J., the character that would most obviously draw attention to Spiderman. Maybe put Robbie Robertson in charge of the paper, since Sony seems to have no intentions of using him.

^ I could see The Bugle, but not JJJ. To be honest, they don't even need to show someone in charge.

I'm really a fan of the classic 'girl Friday' arch-type so I hope to see Karen Page as she was and not what she became eventhough that was a classic storyline.

I have no experience with Karen Page because I haven't read Born Again yet and she had been replaced with Becky Blake during the part of the Miller run that I read. That being said, I tend to agree that she has to at least be built up before being knocked down. Whatever happens to her eventually seems like something to be dealt with in some other season.

I'd like to see a more modern take on Karen myself. If they're going to the trouble of setting it in modern-day Hell's Kitchen, then the characters should reflect modern times. Using a style that has been obsolete for decades just wouldn't work. And the addiction storyline could make for really good character work if done right. They could just cut out the prostitution angle if they want to and keep the drug part of it. But I'd save that storyline for potential future seasons, not this one.

I disagree with this. Hell's Kitchen is not the Hell's Kitchen of the real world. Thematically, it's closer to Five Points in Copper than modern Hell's Kitchen. There was this evocative wordplay that Miller used describing Hell's Kitchen where the darkness didn't descend to there at nightfall. Instead, it seemed out from the shadows to fill the entire place. Hell's Kitchen is as much a character as anything else and it isn't modern Hell's Kitchen. I'd go so far as to suggest they find some other place in New York to film for it instead.

I fully concede that modern New York is a different animal. I don't think they're going with seedy 1980s Time Square. But Hell's Kitchen is the one place that has to remain special.

It's a tagline, though. I'm not going to put too much into that except that the show's set in the present. I could be wrong (in which case I think it's somewhat of a mistake), but we'll have to see.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"