The Force Awakens The Sword Fighting of TFA *Spoilers*

In the Art of book it mentions that they had the idea of a double bladed with one blue blade and one red, it would be interesting if Rey were to end up getting it.

Meh, not a fan of double bladed lightsabers with different colors. It would symbolize Rey walking the line between light and dark, though, but I'd rather have her wield a purple saber then. It's sleeker and more subtle than 2 different colors.

Actually, I wouldn't mind Rey using a different color from the traditional green or blue. If not a purple saber, an amber/yellow/orange saber would be a nice change.

I'm not an expert in sword fighting, so maybe someone can else can tell me if I'm right, but if a combatant uses as many stabbing motions in a swordfighter as Rey did, wouldn't it be pretty reckless and also easy to parry and counterstrike?

I'm not an expert in sword fighting, so maybe someone can else can tell me if I'm right, but if a combatant uses as many stabbing motions in a swordfighter as Rey did, wouldn't it be pretty reckless and also easy to parry and counterstrike?

I would think so because I think it would make it harder to not get hit your self but I also think part of her doing that was not being trained and being scared.

Using the point of the blade in most sword styles but especially in the Western styles is one of the most effective techniques, as stabbing into your opponent is harder to parry and block than slashes and hacks. You can make contact with your opponent's blade, think you have successfully made a party and STILL get run through.

That is not to make it seem as though this is some case of one type being so much more effective. When it comes to sword fighting there has long been a tension between approaches that emphasize stabbing, lunging and pin point accuracy and those that are more concerned with angles, slashes/cuts. But make no mistake, the thrust in the hands of a person with the attributes to pull it off successfully can be deadly and effective in the extreme, because of the damage, yese, but also because it is not as easy as one might think to defend against.

Whatever color in lightsaber is no problem with me, more important is art lightsaber fighting and longterm. Star Wars Episode 3 (2005) is more long time with play fight lightsaber betweeen obiwan vs anakin

I love this poster art
image-17.jpeg

Lol,I wonder why he brought a tonfa ,like he is expecting a lightsaber duelist.

Well I also have not met any Star Wars fan in person who was not a kid or teenager during the PT era who likes the OT more than the PT. My younger cousin and all his friends think the OT is kinda boring in comparison with the PT. :cwink:

Please don't anyone respond saying "well I'm from that age group and I like the OT more". Its just statistics. Its not universal!

^^
Case closed!
I like the prequels too!

I know that a lot of people were turned off by some of the prequel duels, especially Vader/Kenobi I, but I would really like to see Rey and/or Ben get to that level to show their progression through the force.

It also hints at her "inner darkness." And going back to TPM, I think this even more now.

Using the point of the blade in most sword styles but especially in the Western styles is one of the most effective techniques, as stabbing into your opponent is harder to parry and block than slashes and hacks. You can make contact with your opponent's blade, think you have successfully made a party and STILL get run through.

That is not to make it seem as though this is some case of one type being so much more effective. When it comes to sword fighting there has long been a tension between approaches that emphasize stabbing, lunging and pin point accuracy and those that are more concerned with angles, slashes/cuts. But make no mistake, the thrust in the hands of a person with the attributes to pull it off successfully can be deadly and effective in the extreme, because of the damage, yese, but also because it is not as easy as one might think to defend against.

Bingo, western fencing is all about thrusting. (despite how some people will take that)

Bingo, western fencing is all about thrusting. (despite how some people will take that)

....That's what she said!

That's not to say that there isn't a lot of thrusting in Asian martial arts as well, or a large number of slashing and hacking moves in western fighting styles as well. I still love Vader going old school sabreur in ESB, and I'd love to see somebody do a swashbuckler fight scene.

In the Art of book it mentions that they had the idea of a double bladed with one blue blade and one red, it would be interesting if Rey were to end up getting it.

this one?
tumblr_o00c658Z4f1u8r6nao1_1280.jpg

the image hearkens to that moment in the film when rey was about to defeat ren. the blue lightsaber is pointing up, and the red one down, just before kylo falls to rey.

Last edited:
Did you really have to respond to him twice? :p

Anyway, my favorite lightsaber duel is the one in ROTJ.

Has there been any behind the scenes footage of the physical prop lighstabers they fought with? I remember in a junket JJ was asked about how bright the light they gave off was, I'm interested to see.

Has there been any behind the scenes footage of the physical prop lighstabers they fought with? I remember in a junket JJ was asked about how bright the light they gave off was, I'm interested to see.

4d62b29eed94fd34f9a0901bf9200cfb2b0fade7.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jeremija
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"