• Secure your account

A friendly reminder to our users, please make sure your account is safe. Make sure you update your password and have an active email address to recover or change your password.

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

The Dark Knight Rises The TDKR General Discussion Thread - Part 126 (NO SPOILERS)

Status
Not open for further replies.
:up:

Yet all of the reviews say that his presence/performance is magnetic/fascinating/mesmerizing. Why are you putting so much stock in one opinion? The vast majority of reviewers have highly praised Hardy's performance.

Yeah good question, what gives ?

At this point, all three - RT, Metacritic and BFCA have the score as 85.

One reviewer said they had mentally checked out by the third act, pretty professional, especially for someone who watches movies for a living. Film critics sure do have a really high horse for someone who gets to sit down and watch films for free and then write 5-10 paragraphs about said film.

:up:

Yet all of the reviews say that his presence/performance is magnetic/fascinating/mesmerizing. Why are you putting so much stock in one opinion? The vast majority of reviewers have highly praised Hardy's performance.

I'm not putting stock in anyone's opinion. That's the point. I'm curious as to why so many others are to the point of criticizing reviewers who may not like it.

That point is apparently as impossible to make here as a valid criticism of the film would be.

It's apparently totally ok to try and pick apart a reviewer's brain in order to dismantle their negative opinions, but it's not ok to say "let's just wait and see it before we insult people who already have."

People check out of movies usually because they're not engaged. Pretty common occurrence.

Another thing I don't understand: Inception is a different movie that happens to have a few actors who are also in TDKR.

:whatever:

I've got a better story than that involving a Nolan film...

I once read a review for the Illusionist that was basically ONE BIG RANT about how disappointing The Prestige was in comparison. The guy didn't even give any reasons why Illusionist was better, he just went on and on about how disappointed he was that the Prestige wasn't that great.

Reading it, my face probably looked pretty close to this: :dry: :o :doh:

how much credit can you really give RT ratings when the difference between magic mike and TKDR is like 5%. I was concerned. now...not so much. It will change over the next week for sure.

how much credit can you really give RT ratings when the difference between magic mike and TKDR is like 5%. I was concerned. now...not so much. It will change over the next week for sure.

Magic Mike was pretty decent.

I once read a review for the Illusionist that was basically ONE BIG RANT about how disappointing The Prestige was in comparison. The guy didn't even give any reasons why Illusionist was better, he just went on and on about how disappointed he was that the Prestige wasn't that great.

Well, it's not "bad" to draw comparisons, but... :o

The Prestige was way better than The Illusionist. :up:

I've read the Lemire review four times and I don't think she's just miffed there's no Joker.

I think she just didn't dig Bane because she didn't find him interesting or compelling. There are other reviews saying something similar. While they are the minority, that in no way makes them less valid, or potentially less accurate.

Have you seen the movie?

This is the thing: I'm expecting Bane to be a highlight. But since I haven't seen this yet, I am not going to snootily or childishly dismiss a reviewer I respect like Lemire. It just doesn't make any sense, and all these comments saying "Well the only reason she didn't like it was because of her. It's her own fault." is bonkers.

:facepalm:

Now you're placing words into my mouth.

Right now, 35 /41= 85 %

To get a 92 %,

we would need another 35 positive reviews so that, 70/ 76= 92 % (approx.)

Difficult.

Well, not in the long run if a huge wave of positive waves comes in. TDK had 282 reviews on RT. If TDKR gets the same amount:

259/282 = 92%

Not entirely impossible.

I know a few people personally who think Illusionist is a better film than Prestige...to say their opinions aren't worth spit to me anymore is an understatement.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ritayo
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"