The Dark Knight Rises The TDKR General Discussion Thread - Part 130 (NO SPOILERS)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Up to 86% I think its going end up around 88 or 89. 101 fresh to 17 rotten. I still don't understand how RT makes a B- rotten.

The only thing that bugs me is the I've seen reviewers give TDKR a decent rating, only because it doesn't live up to its "perfect" predecessor, TDK. Literally critics have called TDK perfect, and it is quite an AMAZING FILM, but I truly thing this one improved on most of the problems that TDK had. The biggest problem for people seems like no Joker...which is just something the world has to deal with.

And for instance, jmc said he felt that the plotline of Gotham being sealed off from the world never felt 'real', and he has every right to his opinion. But c'mon, do we remember the ferry sequence in TDK? And the SWAT team takedown? Every single bit of TDKR feels more authentic than that. And what about the plot of BB, with the League of Shadows trying to poison Gotham by releasing a fear toxin into the air? C'mon, now. These are still movies based on a comic book. I don't think the 'threat' in Avengers was relatable whatsoever. THIS threat is because, in many ways, something similar could potentially happen to a country one day. It certainly happened in WWII.

Thank you makes sense. Also the ones who love this movie really really seem to love it which is a good sign. It's also seemed to have won over a number of critics who didn't even like the previous two which I find interesting as well. I get the feeling this could be a movie that is talked about for a long while.

That's also one thing that is so fascinating with opinions, how they can change. They change with us, cause nothing is ever constant.

Stephanie Zacharek was the one who reviewed TDK.

But O'Hehir said in his editorial the other day that he didn't originally like the first two films. If I'm not mistaken, he was working for another publication at the time.

The reviews that takes the film down because it's not as good as TDK annoys me too. It's fun to compare but a film should mostly be judged on it's own merits.

If The Dark Knight Rises was Nolan's first Batman movie I bet some people would give it a higher rating. Nolan can't help he set his own standard so high.

Thats how sequel/reboot/prequels are judge, its better than comparing them to another movie right? thats why sometimes its bad to make a great movie and make a sequel/reboot/prequels.

think about it this way.

when Critics watch TASM they are comparing it to SM1,SM2, SM3
when Critics watch Avengers they are thinking of Dark Knight/Transformers

All their reviews always mention it.

To anyone who's seen the film:

Are there any scenes where either of the girls (Anne or Marion) are exposed? Like in their underwear?

My friend is not allowed to see films with any of that kind of stuff. Like he couldn't see The Amazing Spiderman because of that one scene where Peter rips off the girls shirt.

Seems like a lot of the negative reviews are negative about what the movie isn't, rather than what it is. Which is something I've never favored personally. Like "It doesn't have The Joker" complaints. I mean it might be that you prefer TDK because you love The Joker, but it shouldn't have to drag your opinion of TDKR down.

The only thing that bugs me is the I've seen reviewers give TDKR a decent rating, only because it doesn't live up to its "perfect" predecessor, TDK. Literally critics have called TDK perfect, and it is quite an AMAZING FILM, but I truly thing this one improved on most of the problems that TDK had. The biggest problem for people seems like no Joker...which is just something the world has to deal with.

And for instance, jmc said he felt that the plotline of Gotham being sealed off from the world never felt 'real', and he has every right to his opinion. But c'mon, do we remember the ferry sequence in TDK? And the SWAT team takedown? Every single bit of TDKR feels more authentic than that. And what about the plot of BB, with the League of Shadows trying to poison Gotham by releasing a fear toxin into the air? C'mon, now. These are still movies based on a comic book. I don't think the 'threat' in Avengers was relatable whatsoever. THIS threat is because, in many ways, something similar could potentially happen to a country one day. It certainly happened in WWII.

What it boils down to is the execution is more what I was getting at, when I say it doesn't feel 'real' that's in relation to the other two movies as a whole, yes those films had their 'unreal' moments but the way the stories are told means you can suspend that disbelief and buy into it, film two more than film one obviously. Rises feels awkwardly put together and thus those unreal moments stand out a hell of a lot more.

Are there any scenes where either of the girls (Anne or Marion) are exposed? Like in their underwear?

My friend is not allowed to see films with any of that kind of stuff. Like he couldn't see The Amazing Spiderman because of that one scene where Peter rips off the girls shirt.

Poor friend. :csad:

Yeah. His is a nice companion piece to Sasha Stone's review of the film. That's a deep review.

I know you trust Mendelson, but I cannot help but feel he missed the mark with his "unnecessary sequel" comment. The fact that opinions are so widely ranging on this film and the fact that there are actually so many rave reviews about it seems to indicate that it wasn't an unnecessary sequel. It's at least interesting enough to cause a wide array of opinions, similar to Inception. Berardinelli is a guy I trust a ton, especially on nerd movies. He caught the stench of SM3 when a lot of his fellow critics missed it. He gave that one 2/4. This time he's saying TDKR is better than Return of the Jedi and definitely not a typical superhero threequel.

I... But... It...

I give up.
That last paragraph snapped me in half and now I can't stop laughing.

What scene was that? Nevermind. Your posts have officially worn me down to the point of senseless giggling.

What it boils down to is the execution is more what I was getting at, when I say it doesn't feel 'real' that's in relation to the other two movies as a whole, yes those films had their 'unreal' moments but the way the stories are told means you can suspend that disbelief and buy into it, film two more than film one obviously. Rises feels awkwardly put together and thus those unreal moments stand out a hell of a lot more.

I gotcha, but that's where I disagree. Awkwardly put together? Jesus, man, the staging, planning, and execution in this film seemed damned near perfect to me...on the level of TDK, if not above it. I doubt any other director in Hollywood could have pulled it off quite like this. The story flows well, everything makes total sense, there are no "sell-out"/"cop-out" moments, the pacing is solid, and the material carries weight and substance.

But hey, every pair of eyes sees things differently, I guess.

Thats how sequel/reboot/prequels are judge, its better than comparing them to another movie right? thats why sometimes its bad to make a great movie and make a sequel/reboot/prequels.

think about it this way.

when Critics watch TASM they are comparing it to SM1,SM2, SM3
when Critics watch Avengers they are thinking of Dark Knight/Transformers

All their reviews always mention it.

why compare so much at all? too much comparing is not my thing.

i personally wrote a review for the amazing spider-man that didn't compare it with any other movie at all.

I... But... It...

I give up.
That last paragraph snapped me in half and now I can't stop laughing.

What scene was that? Nevermind. Your posts have officially worn me down to the point of senseless giggling.

It was when Peter was discovering his powers on the Subway.

I know this is extremely ridiculous. But I would appreciate an answer!

I know you trust Mendelson, but I cannot help but feel he missed the mark with his "unnecessary sequel" comment. The fact that opinions are so widely ranging on this film and the fact that there are actually so many rave reviews about it seems to indicate that it wasn't an unnecessary sequel. It's at least interesting enough to cause a wide array of opinions, similar to Inception. Berardinelli is a guy I trust a ton, especially on nerd movies. He caught the stench of SM3 when a lot of his fellow critics missed it. He gave that one 2/4. This time he's saying TDKR is better than Return of the Jedi and definitely not a typical superhero threequel.

No, I here you. You make a point about Mendelson. And Berardinelli is another one of my critics I trust. I only have four and he's one.

I think most of these critics have forgotten that you should judge this film on it's own merits, not what has come before. Sure it's inevitable, but it's not exactly fair.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"