The Dark Knight Rises The TDKR General Discussion Thread - Part 133

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oh yeah... Because he has that [blackout]leg brace thing[/blackout] too.
Haha yup, I think his whole body was shot if the

Doctors scene

is any indication.

Oh yeah... Because he has that [blackout]leg brace thing[/blackout] too.

You would think that they would use it narratively.
Because Bruce did a 'superhuman kick' to the brick wall. But that was almost pointless. At least have Bruce super kick Bane near the end to defeat him..

UK fans...

Did anybody see the T4 Movie Special on The Dark Knight Rises?

I recorded both it and the Sky Movies Special but they were seemingly replaced by The Big Bang Theory and an Ice Age special, respectively.

Did they pull them because of the massacre.

Questions -

Was Batman going to save Tate and that's why he went to the City Hall? I seem to recall him asking Gordon about her and Bane saying to take her to him since Batman will be coming for her.

Also, was Miranda (not as Talia) suppose to know that Bruce is Batman? The way he's talking to her in the 3rd act, it's almost like he doesn't care if she figures it out.

People want everything explained down to the smallest detail nowadays. what ever happened to imagination?

The problem is Nolan has built this as a "realistic" take on Batman and there were too many unrealistic moments in this film. How realistic is it that Bruce is able to escape an underground jail cell after having his back broken and walking around in a cane for the previous 8 years? And how does he return to Gotham with no Bat or any of his gadgets in ONE freakin day?

I don't see negativity reactions to this film. I see people recognizing that this film isn't quite the balanced effort it needed to be.

I don't see massive nitpicking, and I think some of you don't understand the difference between nitpicks, and overt filmmaking flaws, and general discussion of concepts.

Complaining about how Bruce had another Lamborghini after Selina stole the first is the very definition of nitpicking.

The billionaire playboy can't afford two cars?

Before anyone condescendingly remarks on my reasoning again, I just want to say a couple things.

1) I like Nolan's first 2 Batfilms.

2) I see major problems in each of them.

3) My expectations for TDKR were not high. I did not think TDK was the be-all end-all. I liked it. I didn't think it was some apex of superhero cinema.

4) I had no preconceived notions about how the story should go. A filmmaker has the right to tell their story, their way.

5) I read spoilers. I knew what was coming, and it sounded good. I was prepared for the outline of the story.

6) I wanted to love this.

7) I'm not a comic book guy. At least not to the point that it would matter. I am a film guy. I work in film.

8) it is silly I have to say any of this.

Because Bruce did a 'superhuman kick' to the brick wall. But that was almost pointless. At least have Bruce super kick Bane near the end to defeat him..

Yeah I thought that would be a factor too.

The problem is Nolan has built this as a "realistic" take on Batman and there were too many unrealistic moments in this film. How realistic is it that Bruce is able to escape an underground jail cell after having his back broken and walking around in a cane for the previous 8 years? And how does he return to Gotham with no Bat or any of his gadgets in ONE freakin day?

Bruce's return was a little questionable, I have to admit. [BLACKOUT]But..They did say The Bat had an autopilot and it worked six months prior though.[/BLACKOUT]

Did you guys think that Rises borrowed a little bit from RIP?

It's good to see Bane was nice enough to let him keep his super powered leg brace that was completely forgotten about in the latter half of the film. Excellent.

Yeah, not to repeat myself, because in the second fight, [BLACKOUT]Batman arbitrarily punched Bane in the fight spot of the mask, and breaking it. That's it?[/BLACKOUT] It's too random. [BLACKOUT]Only if he was able to kick Bane right in the face, knocking him down and damaging the mask,[/BLACKOUT] I think that would have been a much better resolution.

It's good to see Bane was nice enough to let him keep his super powered leg brace that was completely forgotten about in the latter half of the film. Excellent.

Maybe the rope method of fixing the protruding vertebrae fixed it too? ;)

It was kind of startling. They set up this injury, and then they just put an electric rubber band machine on it.

It wasn't a huge deal to me. Just kind of whatever. My buddy said "So i guess it makes your foot not break either." after he kicked the wall. Ha.

People who haven't seen Batman Begins are going to be so confused. lol I love it. Serves them right. It's like Nolan's saying "Oh, you didn't see my first Batman film? How unfortunate for you"

:doh: He didnt return in one day, it was 23 days. Pay attention to dialogue dude.

Then what was the point of[BLACKOUT] introducing that limp in the first place?[/BLACKOUT]

I'm with you on this one. I liked the film but wow, there are some narrative decisions that are questionable and some that almost betrays the first two movies. [BLACKOUT](Alfred's absence, Gordon's family leaving him? What? He looks pathetic here.)[/BLACKOUT]

Bruce's return was a little questionable, I have to admit. [BLACKOUT]But..They did say The Bat had an autopilot and it worked six months prior though.[/BLACKOUT]

How would he able to control it to come and pick him up though? Bane had stripped him of everything and tossed him into that cell with nothing.

Yeah, not to repeat myself, because in the second fight, [BLACKOUT]Batman arbitrarily punched Bane in the fight spot of the mask, and breaking it. That's it?[/BLACKOUT] It's too random. [BLACKOUT]Only if he was able to kick Bane right in the face, knocking him down and damaging the mask,[/BLACKOUT] I think that would have been a much better resolution.

I stated the same thing yesterday. I thought since they set it up early in the film it would ultimately be used to defeat Bane, but when I discussed it yesterday I got the "Yeeesh You need everything shown on the screen for you?? Have an imagination! Jeez!"" response.

That **** is really getting on my nerves and needs to stop. People are allowed to have issues with any film.

Shape,

My issues with the movie weren't the plot holes so much as the way dialogue replaced action and emotion. There was far too much tell and not enough show, character-wise. And I felt the movie focused too heavily on Blake.

I can understand this, but this has been a common issue (some think its an issue, others don't) for each film in the series (dialogue), so I don't think it's a valid criticism to compare exposition in TDKR to the others...because they're basically the same. Every conversation Bruce has ever had with Alfred in the series has served to 'tell' the audience the themes and conflicts. Every conversation with Lucuis either introduces new tech, or explains what is going on during an action scene to the audience. There are many more instances of this, but not just in TDKR. I actually thought this was an even more obvious issue in TDK. Think about the last conversation between Two Face and Gordon, and then Batman.

In TDKR, I'd say that Dagget's reasoning for bringing in Bane is kind of dodgy. And the willingness with which Gotham buys into Bane's "truth about Dent" is weak.

But on that last one, my issues aren't the believability- it's what they say about the inherent goodness or evil of the town.

Dodgy? Dagget was a dukeebag who thought he was using Bane's 'skills' for his own personal gain and come-uppance. He thought by paying Bane and helping him with the construction business, he would be able to take over Wayne Enterprises. He was clearly not informed of Bane's true plans or motivations. He was a tool.

And the film never attempts to show Gotham as a city buying into Bane's truth about Dent. Quite the opposite, as most of Gotham's citizens are hiding in fear (besides the looters and moochers who probably had very little to begin with). Rather, the truth about Dent is what sparks most of the 1,000 Blackgate inmates (who had been imprisoned by Dent and later the Dent Act) to join his make-shift army. This is what dictators do. He used this information as a means to turn those prisoners (who are probably some evil mother****ers) against the old "establishment" of Gotham, and made them angrier than they'd ever been before.

The Gordon death fakeout in TDK was totally illogical, but I still like that movie. Meanwhile, in TDKR, Foley's dismissal of Gordon is more of the same manufactured drama, but it drags things down unnecessarily.

Manufactured drama? Not sure I understand what you mean or that I agree. Foley was kind of a dukeer for most of the movie. Yeah, he was an ally to Gordon, but even at the beginning of the film he was ready to "do what Jim Gordon never did" by taking down the Batman. He constantly criticized Blake, most likely out of jealousy because Blake was more competent.

It wasn't a far stretch for a guy like that to chicken out and hide away the day before the bomb goes off. Still, he came around after Gordon basically called him a *****, going so far as to show up in his "dress blues" ready to fight for his city.

IDK, man. It's a superhero movie. So much of the drama can be considered 'manufactured' in any of these things.

This is extreme nitpicking to me.

Bane doesn't know that the knee brace is "super powered". He probably saw it as an ordinary brace. Also he "broke" Batman so why would he feel the need to take his knee brace too? Just seems redundant. As far as the knee brace itself I thought it was pretty obvious it was used to explain why Bruce would no longer need a cane, nothing more. The "super powered" kick was used to show that he can fight again with it on.

People look way too much into this stuff lol.

It would've been great if
you see him training in the pit, specifically on his leg. Trying to make it stronger. Then in the final fight, he punches and punches and punches Bane in the mask, until delivering one final kick, destroying it. Like Craig said.

But in doing so, it ****s up his leg all over again and he falls to the ground. So they're both there, Bane and Batman. He's beaten, but he's beaten Bane at the same time. Just adds more if the final blow costs him something and ties back into the problem from the beginning.

:doh: He didnt return in one day, it was 23 days. Pay attention to dialogue dude.

Ok. 23 days then. It took Bruce 23 days to walk and swim back to Gotham after being stuck in a Middle Eastern pit. Makes sense to me! :hehe:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"