The TDKR General Discussion Thread - - - - - - - - - - - Part 143

Discussion in 'The Dark Knight Rises' started by Thread Manager, Jan 7, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. shauner111

shauner111 Well-Known Member

I never had any attachments to the side characters anyway (in the comics/animation). So it never bothered me if we saw the traditional mobsters, cops like Bullock, Holly Robinson, etc or not. Whatever we got was a bonus in my eyes.

Jen was still Holly to me, even though i agree that it didn't matter. Because it's true, these small characters weren't there to serve the fans or for the actual characters themselves. They were there to serve the story. They're almost disposable in this case. You have them serve that part of the story and then it kinda doesn't matter whether you kill them off, lock em' away or leave them hanging. That's not really the point.

Flass, Loeb, Ramirez, Jen, Wuertz, Stephens, Foley, Stryver, Barsad, Chechen, Gambol, Lau, Garcia, etc. They're there to serve the bigger picture not necessarily for character development.

Some are given a little more time, some not so much. But these kind of movies always need people to fill up these kinds of roles. I can't walk around thinking "This small side character was useless or not developed enough or should have been called Renee Montoya for the hardcore fans". It is what it is and they served their purpose. I didn't mind any of them at all. Even Modine/Foley.

2. Tacit Ronin

Tacit Ronin Well-Known Member

Of course he can't keep check, he has his own task of taking down Bane, but did he assign Foley to that position? and if so how did that meeting with Batman affect Foley? Did Foley demand to lead the army? How did Batman's theatrics have an effect on Foley on a more personal level? I wanted to see at least a single scene like that. You know, to flesh out his arc. Which was my original point before this debate spiraled out into the minutiae of Batman's commandeering skills.

Perhaps they were already on the edge of victory as Talia ran him down. I don't know. We see very little of the fight between the police army and the LOS. Nolan rushes through the whole sequence. And why shouldn't he? It's not like he highlighted the plight of the downtrodden the entire film, it wasn't important to him or the film.

3. BatLobsterRises

BatLobsterRises Lobsterized

The whole point of the police battling the mercs was to be a distraction and to focus all the LOS's manpower in one spot, in order to make the primary task of locating the bomb/placing the signal jammer more attainable. There really was no need and no time for any sort of elaborate strategy in terms of the police's attack. To quote Tony Stark, they had a plan...attack. Their job was simply to engage Bane's men. Even if they hadn't actually won the battle, as long as Batman accomplished the primary objective they'd have still won the war.

Foley joins the fight on his own accord, that's why we see him walking towards the front lines when everyone else is already in position. That has been my understanding since the first time I saw the film.

4. TheBat812

TheBat812 Well-Known Member

This was the whole point of Batman lighting up the Bat-sign, and Nolan shows Foley and his family gazing up at it as it's lit. He shows that this act inspires Foley to take Gordon's words to heart and be part of the solution.

5. Carnotaur3

Carnotaur3 Well-Known Member

Yeah, Foley spends much of the film not knowing what the hell is going on. Not privy to the greater danger. Only Gordon, Bats (to a degree) and Blake understand the ramifications. Foley goes for Bats over Bane. Foley doesn't believe Gordon about the lair. Foley doesn't believe Gordon about the bomb.

And then with months of Batman missing, the signal is lit. I can see why it changes his mind.

6. batfreakforever

batfreakforever A real fan

Foley was great.

7. Tequilla

Tequilla Well-Known Member

Foley is a commoner. A simpler character. Simple traits. Simple resolution. He doesn't need any sort of elaboration. He's a little sparkle in the movie. Not everything needs to overachieve. He fulfills his functions in the narrative. (the only thing i dislike about him his the fast zoom edit with him laying on the ground).

Usually characters like him in movies are reduced to zero. Nothing. They are clear narrative operators. They exist solely to guide us through something , and shape any sort of questions the narrative itself creates. Its really cool he ends up having a little juice in him. I think people talking so much about a simpleton , reveals how well he's written for such a small role.

Eheh , now nobody cant say the apparatus doesn't resemble a mask from a wrestler :woot:

8. The Joker

The Joker The Clown Prince of Crime

Unfortunately that's very true!

9. TDK elbowstrike

TDK elbowstrike "I'm a man of my word..."

Poor Foley. I kind of feel bad for the guy. Hes the kind of character no one takes seriously. Even his death cant be taken seriously. I still loved the character, even though im clearly in the minority. Heck, i may be the only person who liked Foley. Poor guy.

10. ThreadPool

ThreadPool Thank you, SHH

I'm not sure I'l ever understand why they cut that scene the way they did. What they shot seemed way better.

11. Anno_Domini

Anno_Domini Well-Known Member

Bullock is a character, that like Gordon, needs to be in an entire trilogy/series and not just one film because Bullock can be a pretty important character as well. Using newly-created characters in TDK/TDKR(even if they're inspired by actual CB characters) is what I'd have done as well if I didn't end up using Bullock from the very beginning.

12. Just_Human

Just_Human Well-Known Member

Who the hell is that Foley guy everyone is talking about ?

13. Anno_Domini

You're not alone. I liked Foley as the character grew on me since I started to watch TDKR at home and I'm sure others liked him as well.

14. The Joker

The Joker The Clown Prince of Crime

Mathew Modine's Cop character. The idiot who put chasing Batman a priority over catching the criminals with hostages!

15. Travesty

Travesty Well-Known Member

But he was going to do what Jim Gordon could never do.....he was going to arrest The Batman. :csad:

16. BlueLightning

BlueLightning Caballero de la Luz

You could say that Foley was foolish :awesome:

17. BatLobsterRises

[​IMG]

Bang bang!

18. Just_Human

Just_Human Well-Known Member

Modine was in the movie ? :mag

19. Anno_Domini

Well what was more important...some robber or the son of a ***** who killed Harvey Dent?

:oldrazz:

20. Pfeiffer-Pfan

Pfeiffer-Pfan Cool Rider

Foley was such a waste of a character, wasting precious screentime in an already bloated movie... :dry:

21. The Guard

The Guard Well-Known Member

Foley's a horribly written, poorly executed character, and a shadow of the comic book character Foley, who was actually kind of an interesting character.

22. BH/HHH

BH/HHH You Are My World

Foley was awful, he shouldn't have even been in the film, poorly written and poorly aced. We lost Batman screen time for that pleb.

23. BatLobsterRises

Yeeeeesh.

Modine wasn't that bad in the role. I'll take him over the guy who played Commissioner Loeb. Modine got a little hammy at times, but Loeb was ham-central. They both had comparable amounts of screen time and they both essentially fill the same "smug, complacent cop" role.

24. BlueLightning

BlueLightning Caballero de la Luz

When people say that it took away "valuable screen time", I cringe a little. Because I don't feel any character took away time from any particular prominent character on the film. It seems that the main characters didn't get the time they deserve, when in fact they did.

25. BatLobsterRises

Not to mention, it's assuming a lot to say that if there was less Foley there'd automatically be more Batman. There's a lot of places that screen time could have went. Perhaps Batman is in the movie exactly the amount that Nolan wanted him to be? I liked the less is more approach myself. It really made Batman feel like this grand, epic figure, more so than the other two films for me.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.