The TDKR General Discussion Thread - - - - - - - - - - - - Part 144

Discussion in 'The Dark Knight Rises' started by Thread Manager, Mar 3, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Anno_Domini

Anno_Domini Well-Known Member

Anyone else notice how Bruce places his hand on the Batsuit twice, one on each shoulder during the first act of the film?

2. kvz5

kvz5 HBIC

Semi-OT: Nolan's Interstellar release date is 11/07/14.

3. Kane52630

Kane52630 Just Some Nut

I suddenly hear Leo's agent calling Nolan at the speed of light.

4. CapedCrusader14

That moment when you're buying Blu-Rays in a store and you notice Rises is playing just before the climb from the Pit and you stop dead in your tracks.

5. JackWhite

JackWhite Third Man

Best Bruce Wayne moment for me. Well, that and "The will to act".

6. Snow Queen

I'd run the other way. These movies are some of the ones (including Fight Club, Se7en, Schindler's List, The Shining, Memento, Looper and The Prestige) where I can't see one scene in the movie. I have to see the whole thing from beginning to end and not see a scene in the store or on youtube.

7. the last son

the last son Well-Known Member

On batmans motorcycle, how do the wheels spin like that and the vehicle not flip over?

8. Anno_Domini

The Bat-pod is only the two front wheels of the Tumbler so without the heavy Tumbler using the wheels, that's why it can spin around and do all that jazz.

9. the last son

that's not telling me anything. if you are making a left turn and stop at 60 mph on the dime to turn and your front wheel doesn't spin left to right but north and south from top to bottom that makes no sense in reality. It looks cool but it doesn't make sense

10. Anno_Domini

The Tumbler doesn't even make sense and you're focused on the Bat-pod? Lol.

11. the last son

How does the tumbler not make sense?

12. BatLobsterRises

BatLobsterRises Lobsterized

Okay, I'm making the first official movement to migrate the pandora's box of debates that got opened in the Catwoman thread :funny:

Milost, there were just a couple things you said that I wanted to address (even though you weren't addressing me with them)

Well, the difference lies in the execution. I was one of the people afraid that Bane was going to be one of the ninjas in the monastery that burned down and that was the source of his injuries, etc. That to me would have been too unnecessarily convenient, which was the case in Spider-Man 3. In TDKR, they had an actual crack in the story to dive into. Ra's talking about his "great love" always felt like a nod to a larger history that we weren't privy to, especially if you have knowledge of the comics. In Spider-Man 3, if had the effect of the universe suddenly becoming a lot smaller. Whereas in TDKR, I felt like the world of the story was expanding in scope.

Plus, in the case of TDKR divulging previously unknown backstory there was actual pathos, parallelism, foreshadowing, mystery, misdirection. It was good filmmaking. In Spider-Man 3 it was nothing beyond, "Oops...my gun seems to have gone off". It didn't have much value beyond it's mechanical reasons for being in the film (giving Peter a reason to hate and then forgive Marko). In TDKR that whole al Ghul/Bane backstory stuff was amongst my favorite material in the film because I felt it worked on a multitude of levels, and I thought the Lawrence of Arabia vibe is where the film got a lot of its "epic" juice from.

Because that's part of the joy of storytelling. In the third act, we like to find out stuff that we thought was true turn out to be different than we thought or not true at all. This is true on a micro-level (act 3 of a movie), so why not on a macro-level?

This is the guy who did Memento, mind you. :cwink:

But yeah, see I disagree. I think expanding the story in both directions is another thing that made TDKR that much richer and meatier. There's nothing inherently wrong sequelizing and prequelizing at the same time. Godfather Part II anyone?

Yeah and see, I was one of those people who said the very next day after seeing TDK that I think Ra's (or at least the themes of Ra's) needed to return in part III. With how much TDK was based around the inherent good/evil of humanity and whether or not it's worth saving, it seemed like the thematic threads were just waiting to be tied up. I didn't think Nolan would actually do it, but I certainly didn't think it was a bad thing that he did. Especially when it gave us a villain as memorable and iconic as Bane (I know you don't agree though).

And I'd love to see the poster who predicted that the LOS would lay siege to Gotham, utterly ruling over the city for 5 months and closing it off to the outside world(before there were spoilers out). I honestly don't recall anybody calling out No Man's Land as a potential influence for a TDK sequel. I'd like to shake the hand of anyone who did guess that though.

And IMO, while TDKR uses "third movie" tropes heavily, it actually demonstrates why these cliches can actually work (like all cliches they exist for a reason) when they're executed with command and virtuosity. Nolan takes so many ingredients from SO many third movies (he himself said they watched a ton of third moves in preparation) and run laps around most of them.

13. the last son

Just doing some thinking today on how all the actors mostly have played in a movie with one another I totally forgot that bale and cotillard played together in public enemies. She was good in that. Bale not so much.

14. JackWhite

JackWhite Third Man

Bale had practically nothing to work with in that film. PE was a huge letdown for me, who at the time was exited that we were going to see Depp and Bale together in a crime epic.

15. Snow Queen

-Cutter, The Prestige

16. Anno_Domini

"Flying on rooftop" ring a bell?

And then the magical lights that makes it invisible to the police :funny:

17. the last son

lol, yea I never got how he just disappeared into the night.

18. Travesty

Travesty Well-Known Member

The lights just cut out, and the main engine was shut off, which I assumed was using the power of the front tires, making it just as quiet as the Bat-Pod. It didn't make it invisible, just harder to see in the night without any noise or headlights.

Last edited: Mar 10, 2013
  19. Kane52630

Kane52630 Just Some Nut

Robin is working out for his solo film. :o

[​IMG]

20. Anno_Domini

The main engine? So he turned the Tumbler off while he was still driving it past cops?

21. Travesty

I thought I explained myself in my original post?

Does the Bat-Pod make any noise in the movies? You can clearly hear the engine come back on when the lights turn on, as well. Essentially, The Tumbler turns into a front wheel drive vehicle while in stealth mode, using the same engine that the Bat-pod does, which sounds like an electrical motor in the movie.

Last edited: Mar 11, 2013
  22. Anno_Domini

The Bat-pod does make noise when it's running.

23. Travesty

24. JackWhite

JackWhite Third Man

You're talking about the sound that Nolan described as always escalating, or something like that.
    Best use of that GIF that I have ever seen.

25. georgec

georgec Not a hero

"BLAKE IS BLAKE!!!"

- most people last June

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.