The Dark Knight Rises The TDKR General Discussion Thread - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - Part 148

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wow that is actually awesome.

At least Blake was an amalgamation of the different Robins in the comics. Shrek was just Burton's way of getting Christopher Walken in his movie. The idea of a successor was always hinted at even in Batman Begins so they needed to spend time on Blake.

But man, i really wish they kept that scene in Returns now.

...and you know, a corporate villain. Like Earle, but miles better.

ALFRED
Surely he is a cheap tabloid fabrication created to sell papers ...

BATMAN
That's what they said about me. People hurt and lie to each other, they're more interested in what I drive, than what I stand for. I need their intelligence, they give me their lunch boxes. They sell t-shirts of me. I'm more good for the tourist trade than the streets.

If this is actually from a draft of "Batman Returns" then that's awesome...because some of Batman's dialogue here is identical to a monologue he delivers in the "Batman: The Animated Series" episode "I Am The Night" when he's discussing his feelings on giving up with Dick Grayson.

"When all is said and done, how much good have I accomplished? They sell t-shirts of me. I've become a cliché. More good for the tourist trade than the streets."

So cool!

If this is actually from a draft of "Batman Returns" then that's awesome...because some of Batman's dialogue here is identical to a monologue he delivers in the "Batman: The Animated Series" episode "I Am The Night" when he's discussing his feelings on giving up with Dick Grayson.

"When all is said and done, how much good have I accomplished? They sell t-shirts of me. I've become a cliché. More good for the tourist trade than the streets."

So cool!

Yup. "Stay down here much longer and you'll be growing mushrooms in your armpits! " :funny:

I wonder which came first? I think "I Am the Nigh" premiered in late 1992. You can find the script on google. It's not "Batman Returns", but BATMAN II, Daniel Waters, May 20, 1991.

To be fair though, while the "cynical Batman" angle is a great concept, the rest of that script really did need touching up. Most of the dialogue is just too much and Shreck being Penguins brother and mechanic Robin is just ridiculous.

Shrek was just a goofball who took up too much screentime. I can't say he was better than Earle.
H7rT07i.gif

Love Walken, always entertaining. But he wasnt a better villain than Earle. I can barely call him a villain cuz he's so goofy. Earle was barely in Batman Begins, how is that fair?

John Daggett is who you would compare Shrek to.

Yeah, John Daggett is the better comparison. It's interesting because, Max Shreck is pretty much the granddaddy of that "corrupt businessman" that we see in BTAS and TDKR. Originally in BTAS, Daggett was going to be Max Shreck, but they changed him up a bit and made him more like Norman Osborn. Then TDKR of course, took Daggett and went in a different direction.

Between Returns Shreck and Rises Daggett, I'd take Shreck. He was a more interesting character and actually had pull. If they dialed him back a bit, he might have been more frightening than annoying. It's interesting because, in Rises, Daggett is pretty much just a pawn for the villains in plot. In Returns, Shreck is the one who is using people as puppets and pulling their strings. The Mayor, Selina, Cobblepot, they're all below him in his eyes. The only one that's not buying it is Batman.

Daggett? Eh, he's pretty obnoxious. I know that's the point but I think more could have been done with that sort of character archetype. Especially in a movie that's dealing with class and historic wars.

Last edited:
Daggett's lisp made me laugh.

"Ssssshe been meeting with him? Sssshe been sssssleeping with him?"

I dunno if it was intentional, but Daggett's voice, inflection and lisp were very reminiscent of NYC mayor Michael Bloomberg.

I really thought he was a riot. Just going for broke and sleazing it up. A "cooky hoot", as John Bierly of the Modern Myth Media podcast put it.

I love Ben Mendelsohn. Great actor. I personally got a kick out of Daggett.

I laugh everytime i hear him say this...

[YT]?v=-ur3DDXgbn0[/YT]

I grin like a fool when that idiot starts yelling at Bane. Stryver's got a whole keep full of women. Unless he and his men have exhausted Craster's larder and were forced to cannibalize them. Or unless the ice demons have chased them out.

Daggett was a yuppy. Shreck was creepy. I liked him better than Earle, and equally enjoy Daggett and Shreck.

The only scene where Shrek was creepy is when he pushes Selina. Other than that, he's the opposite of creepy.

-Oh, you mean the clean ssshlate? The magic devissh you plug your name and birth date into, and it erassshes your electronic hisssshtory?

Oh, you mean the clean ssshlate? The magic devissh you plug your name and birth date into, and it erassshes your electronic hisssshtory?

:funny:

Which was pointless considering Blake and the GCPD had a bible thick manila folder of files on her. All of which was available in tangible, paper form.

Should have just left Gotham and changed her name. Or hired Ed from Breaking Bad with all that junk she stole. He could make her disappear to New Hampshire or something.

Haha, just imagine how bored Selina would be holed up in that cabin in NH. At least with her and Bruce in Europe there's still somewhat of a sense of adventure because they can go anywhere they want.

Last edited:
Daggett's comment about Bruce peeing into Mason jars was funny.

:funny:

Which was pointless considering Blake and the GCPD had a bible thick manila folder of files on her. All of which was available in tangible, paper form.

Should have just left Gotham and changed her name. Or hired Ed from Breaking Bad with all that junk she stole. He could make her disappear to New Hampshire or something.

They had to print it from somewhere.

I would have liked to have seen Nolan's version of the Penguin

Me too. It's the one character that i would have loved Nolan to use. So im dying to see him in the Affleck movies.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jeremija
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"