The Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles Appreciation Thread

One of the best and most underrated comic book adaptations ever, and from which even today filmmakers could learn a thing or two.

It perfectly balances cheekiness and sincerity, and lovingly brings the source material to the big screen, while maintaining (without overusing them) some of the more popular mainstream aspects of the cartoon version.

It has a good story, which has stakes and is well told in a movie brilliantly directed by Steve Barron, and never loses sight of its characters. And speaking of Barron, it's stunning how easy he makes suspension of disbelief by creating a credible environment, which is expertly infused with shades of the fantastical and "hard boiled comic book-iness" - in this New York the Turtles feel like real creatures, which could actually exist, and like real characters, with very human feelings.

30 years later, and it's still better than the majority of today's comic book adaptation.

And that April... :hrt:

tumblr_pn4kqrJf5h1tkhqn1o3_400.gif

Last edited:
One of the best and most underrated comic book adaptations ever, and from which even today filmmakers could learn a thing or two.

It perfectly balances cheekiness and sincerity, and lovingly brings the source material to the big screen, while maintaining (without overusing them) some of the more popular mainstream aspects of the cartoon version.

It has a good story, which has stakes and is well told in a movie brilliantly directed by Steve Barron, and never loses sight of its characters. And speaking of Barron, it's stunning how easy he makes suspension of disbelief by creating a credible environment, which is expertly infused with shades of the fantastical and "hard boiled comic book-iness" - in this New York the Turtles feel like real creatures, which could actually exist, and like real characters, with very human feelings.

30 years later, and it's still better than the majority of today's comic book adaptation.

Well said. I genuinely think this is one of the absolute greatest CBMs, without a hint of irony. It just perfectly balances everything and balances goofiness and humor with real emotional stakes that hold up to this day.

Happy thirtieth anniversary, old favorite.
The theme is still catchy and funky all this time later, it's glorious to listen to.
still holds up better than the reboot.
Easily. The reboot is so bad it can't catch up to the tight script this movie had.

Best movie as a kid. No tmnt ever came close to this masterpiece.
Batman & TMNT movie is close.

Well said. I genuinely think this is one of the absolute greatest CBMs, without a hint of irony. It just perfectly balances everything and balances goofiness and humor with real emotional stakes that hold up to this day.
:up:
Congratulations on your status update.

Rewatched this for the 30th anniversary. Still holds up. One of my favorites and probably my most rewatched movie as a kid. Definitely underrated when it comes to cbm. It perfectly balances the comics and movies. Has to be said, without Jim Henson and his shop, this movie falls apart. He made the tmnt feel real, something that's been lacking since the third film.

Is this available on streaming at all? Can't see it on Netflix anywhere.

Man I can still remember watching this and Secret of the Ooze all the time as a kid on VHS. My older brother was lucky enough to have seen both in the theaters which is something I wish I could have experienced, but unfortunately they came out a bit before I was even born. That hasn't changed the fact that these films still hold a special place in my heart, especially the first one which I do love and find to be criminally underrated, because no one really talks about the movie anymore. It's just sad that the third movie didn't end up being better and the franchise ended on more of a whimper than anything else. Yet I'd still rather watch that movie again than any of these newer films.

I got the trilogy on blu ray for 10 bucks on BF friday need to bust those bad boys out sometime this weekend I really enjoyed them I remember taking my brother who was 7 at the time to see the first film at a local one screen theater and the line went around the corner!

Man I can still remember watching this and Secret of the Ooze all the time as a kid on VHS. My older brother was lucky enough to have seen both in the theaters which is something I wish I could have experienced, but unfortunately they came out a bit before I was even born. That hasn't changed the fact that these films still hold a special place in my heart, especially the first one which I do love and find to be criminally underrated, because no one really talks about the movie anymore. It's just sad that the third movie didn't end up being better and the franchise ended on more of a whimper than anything else. Yet I'd still rather watch that movie again than any of these newer films.
I really liked these films at the time they came out and ever since. :cwink:

Yes ! Agree totally. The first film is far and away the best TMNT film, the action isn't too crazy but captures everything the old black and white comics were about.

Did Judith Hoag actually do anything after that film ?

So glad I grabbed this on DVD a few years ago - watched it the other night, not even thinking about the 30th anniversary!

Did Judith Hoag actually do anything after that film ?

Funnily enough, I revisited Armageddon last night and was reminded that she plays the ex of Will Patton's character. ''That man's not a salesman, that's your daddy.''

I think the reboot, and its sequel, are better than what people give them credit, but I agree the original movie is still king. It's near perfection.
If they had used practical suits, that closer resembled the cartoons etc, it would have been fine

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"