The Tennis Thread - Part 5

Now that was a hell of a game. Seemingly had no end and even when Djokovic was up, Federer had him keeping up his defenses when it mattered. Great game and the win now goes to Djokovic.

Djok wins it. Great match.

I want Djokovic to thank Federer for letting him win today like he did in 2014 (34 seconds in):

The women's final was a relaxing watch as I didn't mind who won, if Serena equalled Margaret Court's record and made history then cool, but I was happy for Simona Halep as she comes over really well and has an exciting style of play.

The men's final though was 5 stressful hours as I love Federer and I can't stand Djokovic, his smug little smirk at the crowd when he ate the grass after he won just summed him up for me. The thing was I expected him to win going in but Roger turned back the clock, as both Becker and Henman said, he was the better player in the final, and could have won in 3 straight, it was unforced errors that cost him in the first 2 tie-breaks, as they did on those two championship points. It was the artist vs the robot, and while a great final the outcome soured it for me greatly.

Full credit to Roger and Serena in defeat, they took it with class and grace.

Roger, Serena, Novak and Rafa on this list with a few others:

2019 World Fame 100: Who are the biggest names in sports?

I don't know anything about the cricket guys and an esports guy? Sigh......I don't get esports. Also not sure if any cricket players should be ahead of Rafa, Novak or Serena.
The top cricketers on that list are Indian. India is a big old place in terms of population. They're certainly going to be more well known in Asia.

The women's final was a relaxing watch as I didn't mind who won, if Serena equalled Margaret Court's record and made history then cool, but I was happy for Simona Halep as she comes over really well and has an exciting style of play.

The men's final though was 5 stressful hours as I love Federer and I can't stand Djokovic, his smug little smirk at the crowd when he ate the grass after he won just summed him up for me. The thing was I expected him to win going in but Roger turned back the clock, as both Becker and Henman said, he was the better player in the final, and could have won in 3 straight, it was unforced errors that cost him in the first 2 tie-breaks, as they did on those two championship points. It was the artist vs the robot, and while a great final the outcome soured it for me greatly.

Full credit to Roger and Serena in defeat, they took it with class and grace.
Same here on the women's. I wish they played 5 sets though as it can feel over after 40 minutes when someone quickly goes a set and a break down.

I also support Fed (and Nadal) over Djok. It was an amazing match as expected, with Fed playing better than I've seen him in a while, but I never really expected him to actually win as Djok always got his nose ahead when it counted. Plus the cricket world cup final was outdoing it for drama so I became more focused on that!

I dont know if it was due to me not really caring who won lol, but i actually found the men's final underwhelming. I dont think it was full on competitive, high quality tennis; it was just one guy dropped his level a bit and the other took advantage of it. Simona on the other hand looked solid as heck in her match, i was surprised. I actually expected Serena to win, bit Halep came through bigtime.

Federer chocked though, man. I did not expect to see him lose those championship points. That must be a tough, tough one for Roger, especially at Wimbledon. Can he really win another major? I just feel that at this point it would be very tough for him to beat both Rafa and Novak in order to win a grandslam final. Part of me feels that Roger's retirement is coming up, if he wants to retire on top.

I dont know if it was due to me not really caring who won lol, but i actually found the men's final underwhelming. I dont think it was full on competitive, high quality tennis; it was just one guy dropped his level a bit and the other took advantage of it. Simona on the other hand looked solid as heck in her match, i was surprised. I actually expected Serena to win, bit Halep came through bigtime.

Federer chocked though, man. I did not expect to see him lose those championship points. That must be a tough, tough one for Roger, especially at Wimbledon. Can he really win another major? I just feel that at this point it would be very tough for him to beat both Rafa and Novak in order to win a grandslam final. Part of me feels that Roger's retirement is coming up, if he wants to retire on top.
Yeah, Djok wasn’t at his best. I think Fed would be seriously thinking about retirement right now if the other 2 weren’t in line to challenge his all time majors record.

He has to decide if it's really worth it to stick around though. I mean, if he can't stop them both, one is bound to catch up to him anyways. I say considering he's younger, Novak has the best chance. Rafa is there, lurking, biding his time lol. It should be an interesting US Open for sure. Novak has the momentum, but i find US Open the grandslam where someone is most likely to come up with a good match and surprise a favorite.

He has to decide if it's really worth it to stick around though. I mean, if he can't stop them both, one is bound to catch up to him anyways. I say considering he's younger, Novak has the best chance. Rafa is there, lurking, biding his time lol. It should be an interesting US Open for sure. Novak has the momentum, but i find US Open the grandslam where someone is most likely to come up with a good match and surprise a favorite.
I guess once he starts losing to them in 3 sets he’ll think it’s time to go. For now he’s still the main thing in their way of winning, and he had 2 championship points against Djok so a bit of luck on one of those and that one extra championship might have been the one that led to him keeping the all time record.

True. I cant believe he lost those points still, darn. And in Wimbledon! That one has to be a tough one to deal with for Roger.

True. I cant believe he lost those points still, darn. And in Wimbledon! That one has to be a tough one to deal with for Roger.
Yeah if he hadn’t had those points he could just put it down to being a great match but Djok just having a slight edge. But anything can happen on a one-off point and a bit of luck could have won it.

Absolutely. But having those points and not being able to convert them has to sting, cause you had it!

Absolutely. But having those points and not being able to convert them has to sting, cause you had it!
Yeah, always much more painful that way. :csad:

Cincinnati open...
Nick Kyrgios fined $167,000 over clash with umpire at Cincinnati Masters
Besides the usual verbal abuse, cursing obscenities calling the ump an efing tool, un-sportsman like conduct, Kyrgios fined and out of racket smashing abuse warnings, then takes his "bathroom break" ....with two new rackets,
comes back with them smashed! LOL :funny:
Freakin mental!

"He can serve the ball, I'm here..."
No he can't serve to you, you are putting tape on your racket. don't put it on your opponent like it's his doing, who wants to serve to a guy standing there unprepared, and come off aggressive, and like the bad guy?
Your opponent wants to play fair, how about you allow him that respect, and actually be ready.

Last edited:
Reactions: Bim
I just heard about that. This guy is showing no sign of reining himself in.

Surprising upset, Medvedev beat Djokovic
Now into Cincinnati final against Goffin

I just heard about that. This guy is showing no sign of reining himself in.
At this point, they can fine him to the moon and back, and he wont care. If they dont start handing him suspensions, he's not going to learn his lesson. I'm sick and tired of hearing him pulling crap every week. I wsh they would at least kick him out of Laver Cup, but stupid McEnroe who was also rude and disrespectful isnt likely to uninvite him. I hope i'm wrong. I just dont want to see this idiot, ugh!

Good on Medvedev! I wasnt expecting him to win, especially since i saw Rafa beat him so easily the previous week in Montreal. Hopefully he can continue to make some waves at the US Open. He sure as heck as the momentum and the tennis for it.

Woa, big upset today: Rublev eliminated Tsisipas! Kukushkin eliminated Bautista Agut and Riske upsets Muguruza. Not a good day for seeded players! Thiem is currently down a set against Fabianno.

Tonight we have Rafa playing against Millman (should be a tough one i think!), Stephens vs Kalinskaya, Zabalenka vs Azarenka, Johnson vs Kyrgios (ugh!).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"