The Wolverine The 'The Wolverine' Box Office Prediction Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
I feel like Ive seen all they could show already.

I mean, the Japan sets, those new characters, a bit of Silver Samurai..... no X-men.... Thats what this is about at the end of the day, lol.

Once the release is closer Fox will bombard the net with clips and 40 or more stills, so dont worry, lol

I feel like Ive seen all they could show already.

I mean, the Japan sets, those new characters, a bit of Silver Samurai..... no X-men.... Thats what this is about at the end of the day, lol.

Once the release is closer Fox will bombard the net with clips and 40 or more stills, so dont worry, lol

They need to change their marketing strategy!

I'm telling you FOX is probably the worst major studio when it comes to marketing! no wonder why they're always at last place when it comes to major studios and their yearly box-office incomes.

I'm starting to wonder if any film with a Marvel logo will see a benefit of the Avengers regardless if it's Fox, Sony or Disney. Right now a majority of the audience will probably just make that connection with anyone in the Avengers, but the MCU rolls out so many films and owns so many characters now that I think people will just assume if it has the Marvel logo it's in the same Universe. Anyone outside fandom doesn't know how all those rights breakdown, and even then there are still debates on who owns who. Unless they start putting up text that says "Not Avengers", I think most will assume or at least question if they are part of the same universe by the Marvel logo. Especially since these characters are advertised together in all other forms of media. Could possibly lead to bigger box office for all studios imo.

I agree.

I certainly hope so.

Thats why they need to bring back the original cast again for the 8th X-Men movie to keep the momentum, or at least bring back most of the cast of DOFP for the 8th movie.

They are gonna lose their momentum if they release another spin-off or prequel after DOFP.

Last edited:
Fox's marketing Is probally why Bryan Singer Is tweeting all these pics for DOFP.

Box office doesn't always mean quality.Some here complain about Star wars,Indian aJones and Kingdom of crystak Skull,and Die another die and they were box office hits.Exhib a Is sucess of Michael Bay's transformers.Superman Returns made 391 million worldwide more than X-Men first Class.

I remain convinced DOFP will be last film with First Class cast members Inless you want to call Hugh jackman's cameo as part of first Class cast .Inless next film after DOFP Is another wolverine film or deadpool for 2016 I think followup to DOFP will be full team film In corrected time line as Bryan Singer called It.

I don't really want another Wolverine movie. Like will he leave the X-Men again after DOFP to go through his own adventures again? And about Deadpool, why wait until 2016 especially if its a reboot of the character, they should just release it in 2015.

Last edited:
No doubt future Wolverine movies will rely on the Box Office here. Possibly Deadpool as well.

I'm really interested with what films in the X franchise Fox is gonna announce next. They have so many options that it's really hard to tell. Even post DOFP main series wise, its a big question mark. Personally I think this will be a big two years for Marvel Fox as far as moving forward with bigger things and having some solid box office success.

Last edited:
No doubt future Wolverine movies will rely on the Box Office here. Possibly Deadpool as well.

I'm really interested with what films in the X franchise Fox is gonna announce next. They have so many options that it's really hard to tell. Even post DOFP main series wise, its a big question mark. Personally I think this will be a big two years for Marvel Fox as far as moving forward with bigger things and having some solid box office success.

FOX will probably decide which is the next movie after DOFP in 2014, with production probably starting in Summer of 2015. I can't see them announcing the 8th X-Men movie this year.

Hopefully by 2014 or August 2014, Summer 2016 will still have a lot of room for X-Men especially in May and July. I could see Amazing Spider-Man 3 and MCU snatching the first weekend of May and the third/fourth weekend of July.

EW Is predicting a 175 Million gross on The Wolverine In part due to excitement for ODFP Is causing people to forget how bad Origins was.

$MA$H! Anything over $150 million is great for a X-Men spin-off movie!

Long Range Forecast: 'The Wolverine

PROS:

- Will likely have its opening weekend largely to itself, which is rare for the month of July.
- The X-Men brand could be back on the upswing thanks to the solid reception to 2011's X-Men: First Class and building anticipation for next year's X-Men: Days of Future Past.
- Will have the added advantage of being the first X-Men film in 3D.
- Wolverine remains the most noteworthy character of the X-Universe, especially among more casual X-Men fans.
- The second trailer generated plenty of enthusiasm on Facebook and Twitter.

CONS:

- The largely negative reception to 2009's X-Men Origins: Wolverine could cancel out the positive reception to First Class and then some.
- As was the case with First Class, early marketing and the storyline of The Wolverine may not draw back in more casual fans of the earlier X-Men films.
- Despite his popularity within the X-Universe, the last time we checked Wolverine isn't part of The Avengers.

Check out our predictions for The Wolverine and other upcoming films in the table below.

The Wolverine
Release Date July 26
Opening Weekend $63,000,000
Cumulative $150,000,000

http://www.boxoffice.com/featured_stories/2013-05-long-range-forecast-the-wolverine

I think all the PROS are strong enough to make this film into a bigger hit than Origins. Of course ultimately it will come down to the question of whether this is actually a good film or not. Hopefully it is and a solid RottenTomatoes rating will give it an extra boost.

As long as it earned at least $150 million at domestic box-office, I'd be content!

Piedmont Media Research Predicts Summer 2013 Movie Hits and Misses

Piedmont Media Research, a motion picture consumer research firm, has released the results of its most recent testing for summer 2013 films, predicting the upcoming winners and losers for this summer’s Box Office.

According to Piedmont’s Consumer Engagement (TM) metric, the highest scoring upcoming summer 2013 films that are slated to perform very well at the box office include The Wolverine, starring Hugh Jackman, Monsters University voiced by Billy Crystal, and the Steve Carell sequel Despicable Me 2. Meanwhile, one big budget film scoring notably low is R.I.P.D., starring Ryan Reynolds and Jeff Bridges.

“R.I.P.D. looks easily to be the big summer bomb,” noted Piedmont president Josh Lynn. “The film scored less than half as high as most big budget summer blockbusters typically do. Looking at our past testing, the film scored in the range of Battleship and slightly lower than Cowboys & Aliens, for a very weak projected opening weekend of $24-$28 million.”

Piedmont uses its proprietary Consumer Engagement system to objectively test the strength of moviegoers’ personal connections to films that ultimately determine how a general release movie will perform. Over the past three years, Piedmont’s overall statistical accuracy has been nearly 90 percent.

The Consumer Engagement metric tests the strength of audience attachment in the initial stages of development, and is accessible to producers for concept testing well before any investment is made. Piedmont vice president of strategic planning Jason Olson said, “The metric can also be broken down to the specific demographic groups a studio must target in order to better determine not only who will see a film, but also which audience segments must additionally be pursued. Data on these segments include age, gender, ethnicity, income, geographical region and education, among others.

“Looking closer at the demographics, there are distinct and similar weaknesses with two big budget films, R.I.P.D. and Pacific Rim,” Olson continued. “While Pacific Rim rates better among men, both films perform very poorly among females of all ages, scoring just a third as well in that demographic as Marvel’s The Wolverine, for example. And with females making up 52 percent of the movie ticket-buying population, studios must tailor their marketing strategies to reach out to them, if they want their films to fully succeed.”

Piedmont’s latest consumer research study also tested audience response to specific actors’ connection to upcoming projects. By comparing the Consumer Engagement score of a film both with and without actors’ names attached, the company quantitatively analyzes the financial benefit or harm an actor will bring to a particular film.

“According to our Consumer Engagement research, R.I.P.D actually lost 6 percentage points when Reynolds and Bridges’ names were attached to the project,” Piedmont’s Lynn said. “In contrast, Runner, Runner, starring Ben Affleck and Justin Timberlake and 2 Guns, with Denzel Washington and Mark Wahlberg, each gained more than 30 percent once the actors’ names were attached to those specific projects.” Once these numbers are formulated, the company is then able to use a regression analysis to model the specific dollar amount a given actor is actually worth in any particular project.

“Instead of throwing money at a film or an actor and hoping for the best, there is a better, more analytic way to determine beforehand if a film is worth making, if it’s worth making with a particular actor, and at what specific dollar value,” added Lynn. “The Consumer Engagement metric has a higher correlation to opening weekend box office than any other variable tested over a 15-year period including genre, budget, and quality. It’s more predictive and able to be used from an earlier point in time, in order to more effectively determine the financial success of a film.”

http://www.digitaljournal.com/pr/1284325

^ I never even heard or read about R.I.P.D... until just now.

I saw the trailer for R.I.P.D when I saw Oblivion. Looks awful.

My final box-office predictions for this movie:
Domestic opening weekend - $40 to $60 million
Domestic second weekend - $20 to 40 million
Domestic over-all - $120 to $170 million
Worldwide box-office - $350 to $450 million

I also feel like Ive seen all they could show already Angamb!Each time they show a pic looks like is from the same scene that the pic before, or shown in the trailer.. it gives the feeling the movie is very short plot wise and that we've come across with every scene lol dont know how to explain. And i also feel the movie is short, like 90 minutes..

And still hoping for a trailer 2 weeks from now. Perhaps with Fox´s The Heat. Or some spots..

Looking at the August/September line up of movies, there's not a lot of big competition except maybe Elysium. Maaaybe 2 Guns? (Personally hugely looking forward to The World's End, but that's a different crowd).

If TW is good enough, with WoM it could stroll to $180-200m US by the end of it's run.

I know it will make around 150 domestic and another 150 foreign but I really would love it to make 400 ww 500 would be really good

I know Supes is an icon and better known but if a truly terrible superhero movie like Man of Steel can rake in the cash, I think everything can ride the good will from The Avengers wave. This film is going to surprise at the box office if Fox promotes it right.

Domestic = $255 Million +
International = $270 Million

Total = $525 Million +

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"