BvS The Tone Of This Movie.

Yeah. The people who said it was joyless must have been sleeping when he saved the oil workers, learned to fly,flirted with Lois in the interrogation room, stopped the gravity beam, proudly told his mother of his new identity, and formed an alliance with the military and Swanwick.
The complaints are for the overall experience though. You could've named a dozen more examples, but if they didn't affect the tone in any way, surely the critique has its merits? I'm sure I could pick out a few gloomy instances in otherwise fun and bright family movies. It wouldn't make them adult or serious.

I'm for a mature take on the lore. But only up to the point where we don't get the Marvel directive of a jokes and humor quota. Prior to release I defended the tone, but now I'm firm on the other camp. As much as I liked the movie well enough (took me a few viewings but I'm there now), personally the magic and awe was lost due to how serious it took itself. I never got the sense of thrill and rejuvenation I should feel after viewing a really great Superman story. It's a book, but I'm going to reference Birthright as the prime example of how to perfectly capture the Superman world. By no means was it campy, but it retained the fantastical nature of the setting. It reveled in its brightness and hope.

If I could describe the MOS tone, it would be like a cloudy day with a hint of sunshine (if you look hard enough), but ultimately overtaken by the light rain.

Sometimes a fantastical, sci-fi movie should have some more humor (well-written humor i mean) injected into the story. I see why people enjoy Avengers more than MOS.

It works for movies like Bladerunner or Elysium when it's serious. Especially with their themes. But they're not traditional action movies. Or superhero movies for that matter. I always felt that an alien invasion plot needs some humor to balance it out. I mean, even Signs had a great balance. Goyer tried to do that with his one-liners but he's not good with screenplays.

Im not sure if Snyder really executes "serious sci-fi/fantasy" that well. I liked 300 and Watchmen but i still think things were off about them. Hence why i dont "love" them. Like they could have been better under different direction. And i feel the same about Man Of Steel now.

The people looking for a tone similar to MOS are going to be disappointed I believe.

The way I see it there's just no way these two characters can share the screen together in a plausible universe without taking itself just a bit less seriously.

So yea I'd say expect to see some brighter colors and don't be too shocked if you hear a comedic one liner every so often.

As long as they don't go full on Avengers with the tone, I'm cool with it. At least wait until Justice League.

I think that the tone of the next movie is likely to be a bit brighter and more hopeful overall, likely by design. We'll see the tone of the film get a bit more comic booky and brighter with each film, though not quite to AVENGERS/Marvel territory.

Watching Man Of Steel, the thing that I liked most about it was the tone. I love adult themed Superhero movies. One with real consequences and personal growth through damned obstacles. I heard complaints of the tone and how they want things to lighten up. I'm not with that at all and if it's one thing I give Goyer credit for, is sticking with the tones with Blade 1 and 2 and Batman series and I don't believe they will cave in now. You have to do things this way too continuing to further yourselves from Marvel. A lot of people enjoyed Man Of Steel, but it just seemed the critics were louder in voicing their displeasures. Keep the tone the same way, unless you all want to go even more gritty, then that is fine with me.

I loved the tone, but I wouldn't call it "adult themed", serious and grounded are probably better words. The ********* idiots(especially critics) that didn't like the tone of the movie are just Donner fans or people who don't know or hate Post-1986 Superman(which I felt the movie was more closer to).

I'd say this is the feel that should be kept for most of the JL Heroes in most of their movies(Flash on the other hand should feel more like a Marvel movie). The tone and feel reminds me of Kingdom Come, which is the ideal graphic novel I really want to see incorporated into future movies.

As for humor, I do not recall any rule that Superman has to be funny unless it's just the rantings of a Critic hater wishing for Richard Donner to magically sweep them off their feet with the John Williams theme in the background.

Ugh. Superman Returns brutally slaughtered any enthusiasm I had for that character. Amen to leaving out the RDJ-scenery-chewing quips, though. However, I wouldn't be against flirty banter between Lois and Clark at the D.P. or some delicious snarking between Superman and Batman. Just make it good and non-Marvelesque.

I agree with lc23 that some workplace humor in the Daily Planet especially between Lois and Clark would be nice(think the exchange between Black Widow and Captain America in the first 30 seconds of the Winter Soldier trailer). I am not opposed to some snarking between Clark and Bruce, something similar to Public Enemies:

[YT]fVcrBUMuHBg[/YT]

Watch from 1:47

[YT]dJcc9SHtpHw[/YT]

Watch from 3:20

tone of this movie? did anyone already say "muscular"?

As long as they don't go full on Avengers with the tone, I'm cool with it. At least wait until Justice League.

No-no-no! You have your light-hearted team-up movie BEFORE JL.

I want JL to be a serious, mythological film epic. But I'm all for lighthearted sequels, with maybe the third being the most fun and comedic.

I would want a film that feels bolder and more sophisticated than TA for JL. I think starting out complicated and then having more simple, character-oriented sequels is the way to go.

I want all the films in this series to be serious and epic.

There can still be fun in those types of films. The Daily Planet/Clois will help things along and when Supes and Bats get along, there could be some banter. Even Lord of the Rings had the odd joke here and there.

I want all the films in this series to be serious and epic.

There can still be fun in those types of films. The Daily Planet/Clois will help things along and when Supes and Bats get along, there could be some banter. Even Lord of the Rings had the odd joke here and there.

sure. even the dark knight had fun moments. mos wasn't as depressing and humorless as the reviewers make it out to be. there were plenty of times in the theater were people were cracking up. not just at lois's jokes. it could've been better but it was ok for what it was. batman vs superman should be much better if they tdk the sequel...yes i just used tdk as a verb.

I think you choose different moments to have a lighter tone i.e. Clark at the Daily Planet, his interactions with his mom and some of his rescues as Superman. There should definitely be some humorous banter between Lois & Clark as well. But the overall tone should still be serious in a MOS type way as far as the villain goes as well as Superman and Batman's first few encounters. But I definitely wouldn't mind if the two made a few jokes on each other at some point once they've formed an alliance.

Ugh.
tumblr_m9icfvoRNX1rr3xc8.gif

TDK had Jonah Nolan pretty much completing the first draft, with Chris adding/revising it later. I think that's part of the reason the screenplay's so good.

sure. even the dark knight had fun moments. mos wasn't as depressing and humorless as the reviewers make it out to be. there were plenty of times in the theater were people were cracking up. not just at lois's jokes. it could've been better but it was ok for what it was. batman vs superman should be much better if they tdk the sequel...yes i just used tdk as a verb.

People laughed a few times at MOS when I saw it. Many thought things were funnier than I did, lol. That "he's kinda hot" thing made what seemed like the whole theater laugh all 3 times I saw it.

Speaking of laughing, I love your humor, lol.

The "He's kinda hot" scene went over with my crowds all 10 times I saw it in theaters.

Or was it 9? 11? I don't know, I saw that movie A LOT in theaters. :hehe:

still...that's a bit excessive. i saw it twice.

I'm supposed to care how exactly?

so sensitive here. i can't type anything without someone taking it the wrong way.

but i like you. 9 times. that's dedication and it makes you a superfan(no pun intended)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"