The Dark Knight Rises The 'Tusi - Part Bam - Part 32

Status
Not open for further replies.
Don't really have a favourite season tbh. If I did it would probably be Season 4 because of how much better it kept getting.

What!? Blue Sugar and me had the exact same opinion on everything!...you know how hard it is to find that on a forum like this. :cmad:

Please see my sig.

I have certain expectations. I don't expect it to be as good as Raimi's Spidey films. That's just me. You can believe whatever you want. I'll see the film next week, but those are just my expectations.

Seriously, you aren't making any compelling points in your post. Just because something's new doesn't make it better. If someone views it as better, that's great for them. Just because it's supposedly better in some aspects is still completely subjective. READ: It's not a fact.

I suggest you read what someone has to say. I already told you that you can view the 02 version as being better than the new one all u want. I also never said that if it's new it's better? That's a little odd.

Maybe the word is wrong because "better" IS subjective but i stand by that if it's more accurate, then it's more accurate and that's a fact. You Like Tobey more, fine. Think its better, fine. But accuracy to what the character really is? It's fact that Garfields looks and how he behaves as Spider-Man is in fact more accurate to who he's always been in the comics as opposed to Tobey Maguires Peter Parker. And what i said was if you cant recognize that's it's more accurate to the real Peter Parker then yes you are either holding onto that nostalgia a little too much or you dont know much about the source material. And that's fine. Like your Raimi movies, and ill like these more. That's both of our opinions. But facts are facts and Garfield has the more accurate look and characterizations compared to Tobey. I don't care what you say.

Everybody i have talked to personally, agrees with me on that point. Because it's goddamn obvious once u see the flick. These are people who enjoy Raimis more because of their originality. Yet they still know what the character is like in the comics and they know Tobey did his best but he never screamed Spider-Man.

Wait..so his new account was banned because you aren't allowed a new account after having a previously banned one? Depending on the timeframe between the two, this seems wrong. He wasn't beastmode 2.0, I never saw him get into any trouble.

It's not just for me. In general, there are different standards when reviewing different genres. Just because they have the same rating doesn't mean they're of the same quality. At all.

So whats the point of even having ratings? "Oh its a sci-fi 80%..but a comedy 2%"? RT is a % meter on how many liked the film. 73% of people like TASM, that ain't bad.

I suggest you read what someone has to say. I already told you that you can view the 02 version as being better than the new one all u want. I also never said that if it's new it's better? That's a little odd.

Maybe the word is wrong because "better" IS subjective but i stand by that if it's more accurate, then it's more accurate and that's a fact. You Like Tobey more, fine. Think its better, fine. But accuracy to what the character really is? It's fact that Garfields looks and how he behaves as Spider-Man is in fact more accurate to who he's always been in the comics as opposed to Tobey Maguires Peter Parker. And what i said was if you cant recognize that's it's more accurate to the real Peter Parker then yes you are either holding onto that nostalgia a little too much or you dont know much about the source material. And that's fine. Like your Raimi movies, and ill like these more. That's both of our opinions. But facts are facts and Garfield has the more accurate look and characterizations compared to Tobey. I don't care what you say.

Everybody i have talked to personally, agrees with me on that point. Because it's goddamn obvious once u see the flick. These are people who enjoy Raimis more because of their originality. Yet they still know what the character is like in the comics and they know Tobey did his best but he never screamed Spider-Man.

That's the implication.

Well, obviously the wisecracking aspect is there, but otherwise Garfield's whole emo, hipster look and his awkward demeanor doesn't really scream Peter Parker either. I don't really think I need to see the film to know that much. They're different interpretations. I wouldn't say Garfield's is that much more accurate. That's also subjective. Not a fact.

He didn't? News to me.

So whats the point of even having ratings? "Oh its a sci-fi 80%..but a comedy 2%"? RT is a % meter on how many liked the film. 73% of people like TASM, that ain't bad.

You went full circle with your ratings talk!

Actually, you just reminded me of something. Comedies are the prime example of this. A comedy can get a rotten rating but still be good. In fact, that's usually the case. You tend to give comedies the benefit of the doubt. Like I said, different genres, different standards. Even if the reviewer doesn't explicitly say it, the expectations are different when the genre changes.

Also, you seem to keep ignoring the point I made that there's a 16% difference between TASM and SM1's ratings. Obviously, TASM is being received fine, but not as well as what's come before.

Actually Slim, i gotta give you a rare disagreement there, I think both films had their failings, but both ended up entertaining overall. Whatever preference people have between the both are purely just that...personal preference, there's no huge gap in objective quality between TASM and Prometheus, as far as the majority of critics and audiences go.

Actually Slim, i gotta give you a rare disagreement there, I think both films had their failings, but both ended up entertaining overall. Whatever preference people have between the both are purely just that...personal preference, there's no huge gap in objective quality between TASM and Prometheus, as far as the majority of critics and audiences go.
I'd have to see TASM to fully compare my enjoyment of the two, but one's sci fi and one's a CBM.

Well, I think there certainly is a gap in objective quality in that people have different expectations for a science fiction film than they do for a comic book movie. Sure the ratings on RT are currently the same, but I don't necessarily think that means the films are the same quality. The Prestige is also in the 70s and that's probably my favorite film of all time. Doesn't mean that critics and audiences thought it was around the same objective quality as TASM.

I don't give a **** about a 16% difference between SM1 and TASM because I haven't seen both.

I don't know why im having this conversation because I don't care about ratings. RT especially. It isn't a score, its just a % of people who liked it - which is even more vague! What side will I be on? I have no idea until I see it.

I really don't get your fascination with what RT says about things. You talked up the Apes sequels to me, telling me to ignor them, and ignoring Prometheus' score. But when you agree with the rating then its okay.

Why not go watch it and see for yourself?

EPIC MULTIQUOTE POWERS! ENGAGE!

@Yurka:

Naw, last night electrical volts shot out of my backyard canal. It felt Terminator-ish, and I was like '**** that! I ain't keeping it real!'

Sounds like electric volts from a downed line... doesn't have to have been near where you are for the water to carry it to you... could've come from groundwater, too.

Was it storming? Lightning or something like that?

Doom, you better look out for naked men/women suddenly wandering around your area. :wow:

If I found a naked woman, I'd make a play... :awesome:

What?? Like, bolts of electricity shot up from the water? Oh **** that. I'm terrified of **** in the water as is. Good call getting out of there.

Too many people stick around, thinking crazy **** is "nothing", then wind up getting eaten or murdered....at least that's what movies tell us. Still though, I'd have been out of there too. :up:

Eddie Murphy - Haunted Houses

I will but first I'll ask him or her how TDKR preformed. Then I'm outta there!

Depending on when they're from, they might not know...

Precisely. I upheld one of the oldest and noblest traditions from my karate classes (from when I was a kid)... run away when outmatched. And watching a ton Sci-Fi and Horror films helped too.

For Shiva's sake, I was watching Independence Day last night.
:hehe:

"I don't like it when people get overly hyperbolic with their praise. It's ok to say "I enjoyed this more than Raimi's," but if you say, "OMGGGG I can't even watch Raimi's anymore!!!!1111," that goes into borderline trolling"

REALLY Slim Shady??? So if somebody says this about Donners Superman and Henry Cavill after enjoying Man Of Steel, then they're a troll?? If somebody loves Scarface with Pacino and says they cant even watch the original from the 40s or 50s or whenever...then theyre a troll? You sound ridiculous.

I was a hater of many things leading into Amazing Spidey. I enjoyed the first one when i saw it ten years ago but it hasnt aged well to me. I prefer Spider-Man 2. But The Amazing Spider-Man took me by surprise when i saw it the other night. Garfield (not just my opinion, all of my friends) to me IS Peter Parker in look and acting. He's the wise-ass Spiderman of the comics. These are things that Tobey Maguire couldn't pull off, whether u have a soft-spot for the older movies or not. Maguire didnt look like Parker. And he certainly didnt act like the spiderman that i grew up with. The suit was cool, that was it. You'll see when you watch the movie...Garfield does a great performance. The emotional scenes are better executed than Tobeys.

If you don't agree with at least THAT (because if u dont enjoy the writing of the last part then thats fine thats ur opinion) after watching TAMS then you either are in denial cuz u cant let go of ur nostalgia for a 2002 movie. Or you simply don't know the character very well and ur stuck in a Sam Raimi world of fantasy.

Are you serious bro? I don't actually like Raimi's Spiderman. 1 was meh, 2 was decent, and I've repressed all memories of the 3rd one.

But your post is overly hyperbolic. Some people may not agree that Garfield's Peter Park is as good as Tobey's. I really didn't like Tobey because he was too early-afternoon soap opera for me. He never could have pulled off "you found my weakness... small knives" (I literally cannot wait for that scene!). I also don't agree with people saying Garfield's delivery is off. The guy is British, after all. And I may be biased, but the US-American, New York accent it both one of the easiest and one of the strangest accents to pull off. I got the impression, from the trailers and spots, anyways, that Garfield does a really good job, but I won't know 'till I see the movie.

But these are just my opinions. They are not facts.

And you would do well to not confuse your opinions with facts.

I can't believe 2012 is at the halfway point, last year around this time I think I've watched a lot more films.

So far it's this:

The Woman in Black

How was this?

The thing that irritates me about TASM the most (other than Andrew Garfield) was that TASM recycled aspects and elements from Raimi's Spiderman and Nolan's Batman Begins. The film, in the end, never felt like a Webb production.

That does not sound good. You've tempered my optimism a bit... :(

Ha, I doubt it.

Honestly, I don't even think it can accomplish that. Its reception is ok, but it's definitely not as good as SM1.

I mean:

http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/spiderman/

versus

http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/the_amazing_spider_man/

16% difference.

Rotten Tomatoes and I don't agree often enough for me to take them seriously...

Although, I admit, that may be me... I actually liked Tim Burton's "Chocolate Factory" and "Wonderland"... which, as I understand it, is an extremely minority opinion... :(

I also felt the recent Sherlock Holmes movies were awesome, and I am a Sherlock Holmes purist (the biggest point for the two movies was that they got Watson right... the first live-action adaption to do so [or, so I thought... and then I saw the BBC series]).

Blue Sugar was one of the politest and most sensible posters here. The last person I'd expect to be perma banned. :down

I'm just as confused. An old account? Geez. Really? He got permabanned for that?

:whatever:

Last edited:
Prestige is in the 70s cos 70% of people liked it. Nothing to do with them comparing it to other genres.

I don't give a **** about a 16% difference between SM1 and TASM because I haven't seen both.

I don't know why im having this conversation because I don't care about ratings. RT especially. It isn't a score, its just a % of people who liked it - which is even more vague! What side will I be on? I have no idea until I see it.

I really don't get your fascination with what RT says about things. You talked up the Apes sequels to me, telling me to ignor them, and ignoring Prometheus' score. But when you agree with the rating then its okay.

Why not go watch it and see for yourself?
I used RT as a guiding light towards what I want to watch. Quality is subjective, though the percentage gives you a very general idea.

And the Apes sequels were a special case. They're very old films and there are only like 5 reviews for each one. Not exactly a reliable sample size.

I didn't ignore Prometheus' score, I just took into account that that's a decent score for a sci fi film. It's fine for a CBM, too.

Well yeah, I'll be seeing TASM next week. My expectations aren't very high.

Prestige is in the 70s cos 70% of people liked it. Nothing to do with them comparing it to other genres.

There's a certain set of expectations that comes with reviewing a certain genre. From TASM's score, I can tell it's a very run of the mill CBM. With Prometheus, I can tell that it's divisive sci-fi. There is a difference.

Are you serious bro? I don't actually like Raimi's Spiderman. 1 was meh, 2 was decent, and I've repressed all memories of the 3rd one.

But your post is overly hyperbolic. Some people may not agree that Garfield's Peter Park is as good as Tobey's. I really didn't like Tobey because he was too early-afternoon soap opera for me. He never could have pulled off "you found my weakness... small knives" (I literally cannot wait for that scene!). I also don't agree with people saying Garfield's delivery is off. The guy is British, after all. And I may be biased, but the US-American, New York accent it both one of the easiest and one of the strangest accents to pull off. I got the impression, from the trailers and spots, anyways, that Garfield does a really good job, but I won't know 'till I see the movie.

But these are just my opinions. They are not facts.

And you would do well to not confuse your opinions with facts.

Rotten Tomatoes and I don' agree often enough for me to take them seriously...

Although, I admit, that may be me... I actually liked Tim Burton's "Chocolate Factory" and "Wonderland"... which, as I understand it, is an extremely minority opinion... :(

I also felt the recent Sherlock Holmes movies were awesome, and I am a Sherlock Holmes purist (the biggest point for the two movies was that they got Watson right... the first live-action adaption to do so [or, so I thought... and then I saw the BBC series]).

I'm just as confused. Though I suspect it may have something to do with the Movie that Shall Not be Named on the Batboards. :whatever:

Thank you. :up:

I'm not saying it's always right, it just gives you a very, very general idea.

Last edited:
So no one saw the post that got Blue Sugar banned? It's sad :(

What else can get you banned?

Kvz was just saying he got banned due to something to do with a name change request/old account.

That's ****. Rules are rules, I guess.

What are the chances that one guest is him?

:waa:

EDIT:

Fiiiiiiine, Jonny, I'll give TASM the benefit of the doubt for now. My expectations remain fairly low.

Annnnnd I refuse to believe it's on level with Prometheus even if has the same rating. Like I said, different genres get reviewed differently. It's true. Look at comedies.

Last edited:
lol all im saying is id never read every review I could find for a film before I go see it and ask everyone on a forum what they rated it too, because they aren't me..we all have different tastes!

lol all im saying is id never read every review I could find for a film before I go see it and ask everyone on a forum what they rated it too, because they aren't me..we all have different tastes!
This is true. I'm expecting a film that isn't amazing but isn't terrible either. I knew Prometheus was divisive going in. That it was a sci-fi film being compared to Alien and so it might be judged more harshly by some. This is a very different case. Just because the ratings are the same doesn't mean the objective quality is the same in the eyes of the majority. We'll see how TASM goes.

Annnnnd I refuse to believe it's on level with Prometheus even if has the same rating. Like I said, different genres get reviewed differently. It's true. Look at comedies.

Same level/rating? It isn't, is just the same amount of people who liked it. Doesn't tell anything of quality.

Because it's often accurate. Why else?

Same level/rating? It isn't, is just the same amount of people who liked it. Doesn't tell anything of quality.

Oh I see what you're saying. So you're sort of agreeing with me in the sense that them both having the same rating has nothing to do with their quality, right? That Prometheus can be better than TASM (or vice versa, I guess) even if the rating is the same?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
monke77
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"