The "Ultimate DC" RPG

As Barry dropped Ed off in the E.R. he saw that CNN was covering a huge fire outside of Metropolis. Emergency crews couldn't even get close enough to it because of the heat. I could get the flames calmed down... all I need to do is make a vacuum with my speed and kill their oxygen source. Metropolis, here I come.

In a matter of seconds he was in the middle of the flames. It seems he stumbled on a fight... ITS THE NAZI! He's real... and some freaking Alice Cooper wannabe. As he came to a stop, he noticed that their was also a woman who also appeared down for the count. As Lobo got on his bike and sped off, he mentioned something about a nuke... In that time, even Barry didn't react quicker than Superman. Well, if he doesn't want my speed expertise, I'll do what I can here...

He starts running around a small area of the flames, funneling it upwards and containing it. Then quickly reverses direction to create a vacuum, extinguishing it. I'd do it for this whole area, but I don't know if I should move the woman. So I'll do it a little at a time.

In a matter of minutes the fire was out. But the Nazi had fallen back to the ground in the same time frame.

Now a new guy hand arrived on the scene. Conner tried his best to make out what was going on. He hovered as still as he could to try and listen to what they were saying, but he was too far. In frustration he began to pout again and crossed his arms.

"Jerks, I get fussed at for helping out, and he just pops into the scene!"

Lobo staggered back as the fragments of the rock pierced his skin, setting his nerve endings on fire. "GRAAAARR" he yelled as he dug his fingers into his chest, ripping out the shards piece by piece causing blood to fountain out from the wounds.

He was dazed from the sudden, overwhelming exposure to the radiation. The heat and flames from the fire weren't helping him, either. Gotta get outta here. Find a place ta heal up 'n try again.

Lobo brought two scarred but visibly healing fingers to his lips, and whistled again. In a few seconds, his bike hovered above him, but he couuldn't resist one last oppurtunity to gloat. "Ya did good there, Supes. But ya ain't done good enough. My bike's already planted a nuke in the heart o' yer city, an' ya got less'n four minutes ta find it an' defuse it, or that city goes up in smoke."

Lobo crawled aboard his bike, barely strong enough to sit upright. With a roar like a caged animal, the bike took off again into the sky.

Oh. Yay for me.

Clark rises and shoots into the city at full speed, causing a loud sonic boom. he begins scanning for traces of radiation. He notices a small leak underneath a manhole. He rips the manhole out of the ground, grabs the bomb, and flies into the air at top speed. He gets as high as he can, and throws the bomb into the air at full force. He then shoots back toards the ground. The radiation doesn't reach the ground, but an EMP knocks out several electronic devices in Metropols and the surrounding areas. Superman crashes to the ground in the forrest as Barry Allen puts put the flames.

Conner watched as the man fell to the ground in a pathetic attempt to get away from the fire. Gently floating back into the forest, he once again walked over to the man. He seemed weak from the fight. Or maybe he's not coping welll with the heat? Either way, he needed Conner's help. There didn't seem to be anyway for him to leave the forest in time on his own power.

"You want my help now? It's nice and cool inside my TK field."

Clark looks up at Conner.

"...lead. get some...led. radiation will kill us....put green shards in lead....box...."

Clark then begins to pass out.

Clark then snaps out of it. He drags himself to his feat, and begins scanning the city for lead. He sees some on the lining beneath Lexcorp towers. He flies towards Lexcorp, and then notices that, due to the EMP, a CNN helacopter is struggling to maintain altitude. Clark catches the helacopter, and lowers it to the ground. The then shoots towards the manhole where he found the bomb. He punches into the wall, pulls out a chunk of lead, and shoots back to the site of the fire. He uses his heat vision to melt the lead on top of the shards. The radiation subsides, and Clark begins to feel better.

Conner shook his head in disgust. He had wasted all of his time on this and not the recruitment drive. If he didn't get a move on, he might really need to depend on the team Hank and Don crafted. However there was one thing still bothering him...
Landing back on the ground he walked up to the strangely dressed man.

"So what the bad place just happened? When the media learns of my involvement they'll want an answer, and I doubt you'd be willing to do the talking."

Trigger said:
Conner shook his head in disgust. He had wasted all of his time on this and not the recruitment drive. If he didn't get a move on, he might really need to depend on the team Hank and Don crafted. However there was one thing still bothering him...
Landing back on the ground he walked up to the strangely dressed man.

"So what the bad place just happened? When the media learns of my involvement they'll want an answer, and I doubt you'd be willing to do the talking."
Barry rejoins the Nazi and the kid, when he gets the fire out.
"If you two don't want the media exposure, I'll field it. I'm already public, and I can understand if you want to keep your abilities secret... I kinda f**ked that one up on my own. Just tell me what to say."

"Hmmm, that would probably be best at this point. My powers are public already, but I don't think Lex would like the publicity. He's already got the explosion at the construction site to worry about. It's all your Red Riding Hood. "

Conner turned towards the other man again.

"Well, I guess that's my exit. I hope you don't make a habit of messing up my city."

Clark looks at Barry.

"Ju....just say you saw the fire and decided to help. I can't deal with the media right now, and I'd like to try and figure this out for myself. Also, warn a hazmat team that you discovered some radioactive substance and covered it in hot lead. That stuff's dangerous. Now, if you'll excuse me..."

Clark looks at Conner after his comment.

"I'll try not to."

Clark rises into the air and shoots towards the city. He looks at the destruction Lobo caused, and begins helping people. Pulling large rocks off of people, pulling people out of wrecked cars, leaving the scene before people can register what happened each time.

The other night at the charity dinner. Crane sat there with his hand shaking. He looked down at them and saw the blood on them. The blood wouldn't come off.

"Oh Jessica" he said to himself "We're sorry you were a nice girl but we had to complete our project soon we can show the whole world" he spotted a woman heading out and she was leaving the most powerful man in Gotham.

GO AHEAD CRANE MAKE HER FEAR….MAKE HER SCREAM

He got up and followed her outside. He hid in some bushes as she walked out.

MAKE HER SCREAM

MAKE HER FEAR

He placed on his mask and black gloves. He started to push through the bushes but stop. "Hey buddy can I help" he turned with his mask on and the man jumped back. "What the bad place are you?" he said under his breath. Crane leapt to his feet and stab the man through the gut with a butter knife.

"We're sorry but you got in the way....I didn't want to do this but I had no choice" he voice seemed to change "Now tell me sir what do you fear?" he plunge the knife in deeper. He stood up and the woman looked right at him. She couldn't scream and he disappear telling himself "We'll see you soon my dear". The cops did arrive and could not find any traces.

Back on at Crane's mansion he sat in the corner of his study. The figure slammed opened the study'd door and came inside.

THAT WAS TOO CLOSE JONATHAN WE MUST TAKE CARE OF THIS WOMAN

"We dont even know who she is"

YES WE DO SHE INTERVIEWED YOU BEFORE….SHE”S VICKY VALE….TAKE CARE OF HER

(IC: Bruce Wayne)

I'm floating.

...Well, partly. I'm actually balancing myself on a beam, from one lone finger. It took me years to master this... And even now, it's a challenge. I was taught this by a monk I encountered while roaming the eastern parts of Asia, last year. It's an act of concentration... It frees the mind of stress.

"Master Bruce?"

...And there goes the concentration. I lose my balance, but manage to stop myself from hitting the beam with both hands. I then sit up, from my position, and look at Alfred, looking at me in a strange manner, holding a metal tray.

"And what-"

"Don't ask."

"...Very well, then.", Alfred says, opening the tray. On it, sits... Well, not food, as I guessed. The morning paper and a phone, actually. I look up at him, curiously.

"Your morning copy of the Globe, Sir. I figured I'd bring it to you immediatley, considering the cover story seems to be of something you'd be interested in..."

I grab the paper. If it's another story about Vicki and I, and our supposed 'flings', I think I'm going to pu-

My eyebrow raises, reading the headline.

MASKED MYTHS GRIP GOTHAM
'Batman' And 'Scarecrow' Sightings Under Police Investigation p.3

I begin reading more... skipping the Batman parts, as I've already read them countless times, in different print, and immediatley turn to the Scarecrow sighting. It's the first I've heard of the name. I read on through the description...

Burlap Sack. That's all that the witness had time to see. A man running around in a burlap sack... With twine stitching, over the mouth area. The figure's eyes were apparentally hidden, and the rest of his clothing couldn't be seen in the darkness. It happened... The night of the Twilight Gala. And worse... the figure is also a suspect in a murder case.

I clench my fists, reading that. I could've done something. I was too busy having dinner with Vicki that night to have prevented it. If I hadn't been so wrapped up in that... If I hadn't been so stupid...

I feel a hand rest on my shoulder. I look up, seeing Alfred, giving me a look of 'It's not your fault'. I sigh, before loosening up, and eventually reading the rest. Not much information is given... But this last part definatley catches my eye...

Is Gotham Under Seige By A New Brand Of Evil?

'A New Brand Of Evil'. What makes this "Scarecrow" figure any different from any other serial killer on the streets? Am I overlooking the possibility that there are other forms of evil that I didn't prepare for? I tried to be as prepared as possible... But in my doing so, Did I overlook any?

I stop.

No. Scarecrow is a murderer... Plain and simple. Even if he's a myth... Someone killed that man, the night of the Gala. That means there's a killer loose in Gotham City. And tonight... I'm going to bring that said killer to justice. By whatever means nessacary.

I look back down at the paper. The writer of the article witnessed this personally. Either someone's looking for kicks, or this is truely genuine. The Globe isn't the Examiner, after all. I look at the writer's name...

Well... That's certainly interesting...

MASKED MYTHS GRIP GOTHAM
'Batman' And 'Scarecrow' Sightings Under Police Investigation pg.3
By Vicki Vale

I look at Alfred.

"Isn't my date with her tonight, Alfred?"

"Yes, actually. That's why I brought the telephone for you... So you could confirm with her the exact time of which I should pick the young lady up. Why? Are you having second thoughts?"

I think to myself. The last time I put these matters aside for a date... Someone on the streets died, due to me not being there to prevent it. But if Vicki is putting this out there... and The Scarecrow is real, and he's seen it... There's a possibility that she might become a target. Training with Ducard taught me the ways of the criminal mind... And I'm almost sure that Vicki could very well be in danger, because of that.

I have to protect her for as long as I can. And if she's here... She'll be watched, by me. And, unknown to her... The Batman, aswell. I turn back to Alfred.

"No. I'm still going through with it. I've never felt more sure, actually..."

The Question said:
Clark looks at Barry.

"Ju....just say you saw the fire and decided to help. I can't deal with the media right now, and I'd like to try and figure this out for myself. Also, warn a hazmat team that you discovered some radioactive substance and covered it in hot lead. That stuff's dangerous. Now, if you'll excuse me..."

Clark looks at Conner after his comment.

"I'll try not to."

Clark rises into the air and shoots towards the city. He looks at the destruction Lobo caused, and begins helping people. Pulling large rocks off of people, pulling people out of wrecked cars, leaving the scene before people can register what happened each time.
As the kid and the Nazi flew off, Barry stood waiting for the news crews. Wouldn't this be a shock for Iris. He could only grin. The vans started pulling up, and Barry pulled Diana's body into the woods, hiding her from view and questions, since Barry obviously had no idea what her involvement was. He pulled off his mask and got ready for the questions.

"Mr Allen! Cat Grant WGBS News! What brings you to Metropolis?"

"Well, I saw this big fire on the news, and came to assist in putting it out. It looked to me like I was coming into the tail end of a fight. But I don't know who. The parties responsible bailed out on me, while I made a vortex to put out the blaze. Anyway, one of them did leave a tip that that pile of lead over there is housing some radioactive material, you may want the police to get that taken care of. I'll see YOU on Saturday Ms. Grant."

With that, Barry was gone and back in his apartment, watching himself on CNN in about a minute. He sat right next to Iris on the couch.

"So, hon, whats for dinner? I'm starved."

She screamed, then recoiled and slapped him. "DON'T YOU EVER DO THAT TO ME AGAIN! You scared the living daylights out of me!"

"Anyway... any news on Ed?"

"He's stable... still comatose, but stable. They said he got much less voltage than you, so there is hope. Why would he do this to himself?"

"I don't know. I think I may have been looking down on him a little since I went public, making him more of an assistant than a friend. I think it made him jealous."

The phone rang. Barry picked it up.

"Yellow? ...No, you're supposed to say blue! ...what? ...yes, this is him. ...he is? ...thats good. ...really? ...kay, I'll be there in... well a Flash."

"Barry? Who was that?"

"The hospital. They said Ed's awake, but I should come down there. I'll be back soon."

And he was gone in a burst of red.

Meanwhile...

"We're a go, Dr. Palmer..." Technie 31 nodded to Lexcorp's R&D Coordinator, which, without an Assistant Director, put her in charge. At 24 She was pretty young to be doing it, but what could she say? She was good at what she did and loved every minute of it.

Raye Palmer, Ph.D, had her labcoat, and goggles on in front of the "Palmerizer" a high tech zero point energy field that infused objects, on a cellular level with enough energy to shunt proportionate matter into another dimension... shrking the objects to, at least theoretically, the cellular level.

As yet Dr. Palmer, and her supervisor, Dr. Albert Pratt, had yet to KEEP things shrunken, but today, Dr. Palmer proposed a breakthrough. On the shrinking pad, between the two generator walls was a small chunk of Luthonium. Raye licked her lips excpectantly.

"Go..."

Techie #112 threw a switch and the machine fired up. Sparks flew and quickly the chunk of Luthonium dissappeared. Raye went over to the sensor board. It was still there, it was simply 2 nanometers tall at this point. She smiled and looked at Dr. Pratt. Then back at the techie and nodded.

With a whoosh, the machines cut. Raye looked at the sensor board... the Luthonium erupted to 4 nanometers... then stopped. Raye held her breath. Nothing happened. She stared at the screen for what seemed like forever.

"Uh... Dr. Palmer..."

Raye, waving the techie off walked over to the shrinking pad. She knelt down. And peered at the ground. She saw nothing. She spun and smiled like a cheshire cat. "Johnson, go ahead and fill out the report on this." Raye calmly walked to her office. Shut the door. Put her glasses down on the desk....

"YEEEAAAAAHHHH!!!!!! HAHAHA!!!!!!!"
Raye leapt from side to side like a little schoolgirl. She did the dirty chicken. She did the pulp fiction eye-finger dance. The cabbage patch. "I'm a Scientist... I'm a Scientist!" Raye proceded to giver herself a pep-style cheer and strike a pose in her mirror. "Who's your momma?"
A knock came to the door. Instantly, Raye composed herself and turned. "Come in?"

Techie 205 leaned in. "Dr. Palmer, Dr. Pratt is requesting you back on the testing floor."

Raye blinked twice. "I'll be right there." Raye put on her glasses, picked up the test results from her printer and headed back to the "Palmerizer."

Walking back onto the floor she noticed all the men standing around the shrink plate. "Dr. Pratt?"

Al looked up and smiled. "Well, first of all, Doctor, if Luthor didn't own all of this, you'd be up for about three Nobel prizes at this point."

Raye curtsied. "I'll work on my acceptance speech."

Al nodded. "The second thing, not to hinder your advanced research with my down home traditional common sense thinking, or ruin your great scientific victory with details, but... how are we going to get this thing to un-shrink?"

Raye was taken aback. Raye had no idea. They had no way to pull things out of the fourth dimension, only to push things in. Something would have to push it back out. Raye had theorized long ago, that a minature zero point generator would, if shrunken, be in the fourth dimension, and, if activated, push the shrunken item back to full size.

"What's my deadline?" Raye asked.

Pratt looked up solemnly. "We have a presentation to Mr. Luthor tommorrow. If we don't produce something extraordinary..."

Raye nodded slowly. "Get me one of those portable ZPGs, like the ones used to refuel the energy-fueled jets..." Techies 30-34 ran off to do so. Raye turned to the tech at the station. "I want stabilized, liquid, Luthonium... and I want a med team down here... and... I'm hungry... get me a bagel."

"Dr. Palmer..." Dr. Pratt began. "... Raye... what are you planning? "

Raye looked around at her coworkers and then up at her supervisor. This was her life's work. She was hardly going to let it go to waste. She smiled as she brushed a strand of hair from her face. "Something extraordinary..."

Clark lands on his bed, exauhsted. He had just saved over 100 people. Luckily, the damage Lobo caused wasn't that severe, and many of the electronic devices in town had been made EMP proof by Lexcorp, others having the ability to repair themselves in the event of an EMP. Clark looks up at the ceiling, thinking. Why was that guy after me? He said something about being hired to kill me. Who would want me dead? For that matter, who in outer space would want me dead? Is someone planning an invasion of Earth, and wanting to take out anyone like me who might be able to stop them? God, that sounds rediculous. But then, I can fly, so who am I to say something sounds rediculous? Well, there isn't anything I can do about it right now. Might as well get some sleep....

Clark turns over, pulls up his blanket, and falls asleep almost imediately.

Somewhere, many miles from Metropolis, a few hours after the fight, a man sits in a dark room, smoking a cigar. He is seated in front of a larg screen, which turns on, revealing a birds eye veiw of Metropolis. The man speaks.

"What am I looking at?"

Another man, holding a small electronic device, stands behind the chair.

"This is a satalite image of Metropolis, Illinois."

"I know that. I've been. I'd recognize Louthor's compensation for certain inadiquacies known as Lexcorp towers anywhere. What I'm wondering is, why the bad place is it important?"

The man holding the electronic device presses a button, causing the picture to shift and zoom in onto the foprrest fire.

"About two hours ago, a fire wqas reported, along with massive damage to a section of Metropolis, and an EMP that knocked out a percentage of the electronic devices in town. We've detected massive radiation in the upper atmosphere."

"And?"

The man presses another button.

"We recovered these images."

The camera zooms in even more, showing a man in blue, hunched over on the ground, an albino with green shards sticking out iof his skin, a woman holding a battle axe, also hunched over, and a teenager hovrting above them. The albino egts on a flying motorcycle and flies off, as the man in blue ruches of to the city. The camera goes to static after that.

The man in the chair takes out his cigar.

"What would you say that was?"

"I'd say it was a level two event, sir."

"Level five, actually. If it had been a level two, everyone on the planet would be dead right now. You know how long it's been since there was a level five event in the U.S.?"

"No, sir."

"1954. What are we doing to cover this up?"

"We're saying it was a terrorist atack, sir."

"Which organization?"

"Al Queada."

"They don't have the resources to pull off something like this."

"Demon's Head?"

"They'd never use a nuke."

"Kobra?"

"Nadda's way more theatrical than this."

"H.I.V.E.?"

"There we go."

"Sir, we also discovered a highly radioactive substance at the scene."

"We know what it was?"

"A rare element we discovered about 22 years ago. In a meteor. We've got one of the only two samples recovered from the meteor, and we know the other sample is still where it's supposed to be."

The man in the chair turns around. The man behind him is slightly unnerved at the sight of him. He looks like a skeleton with eyes, wearing a suit.

"Agent, it looks like we're going to have alot more work to do for a little while."

He flew for a long while. His body's healing factor was incredible, but even it was having a lot of trouble dealing with the amount of radiation he'd soaked in.

Finall, the bike landed in a desert, and Lobo simply slid off of his bike and landed in heap. He lay there for a few moments in the cold night air, but then he heard the sound of footsteps crunching along the dry ground.

"You failed, Lobo," said K as he finally walked in to Lobo's field of vision.
"Naw... Didn' fail. I never fail. Too many o' 'em. Thass all. Shoulda planned better," replied Lobo, weakly.
K smiled. It was a thin, worrisome thing. "In the eyes of your employer, Lobo, that last attack was foolish. He had expected better from you. Also, unfortunately for you, your emplyer does not reward failure. He punishes it." K laughed then, and vanished, leaving Lobo a few seconds to think on what he had said before the sound of primitive motor vehicles reached his ears. He sat up, and saw dozens of armed men, probably military surround him. "TRANQ IT, TRANQ IT NOW!" he heard one of the humans yell, and moments later his body was perforated by hundreds of needles, all gushing tranquilizer into Lobo's still overloaded system.

Lobo stood up, and looked around. He was in a daze, and as he stood yet more darts were shot into him. "THIS IS A BREACH O' VERBAL CONTRACT, YA BASTICHES! I'M GONNA FIND YA N' Kill ya fer this.." he screamed before becoming overwhelmed by the tranquilizer darts.

The soldiers wrapped Lobo's unconscious body in a yellow hazmat bag and dumped him into the truck, while another truck took Lobo's bike. The rest of the army forces sped off, heading towards a secret base...

Diana awoke with a groan. Her vision was distorted. Her dimmed senses barely registered th prickle of leaves brushing against her skin. Groggily, she pulled herself up into a sitting position and forced herself to her feet. She was tangled in a bush, her skin littered with scratches. She pushed the branches aside and stepped out, scooping up her battered axe as she did so.

It was no wonder the axe had been her weapon of choice when she had fought her teacher, Artemis, for the right of Ambassador; the blade wasn't even dented form its brutal collision with the alien's face. She stumbled back through the leaves and into the streets once again, her legs trembling. The bustling crowd of ambulances, emergency services, and onlookers paused.

A silence fell over them.

She was hoping to meet with their leader first, and she was hungry for vengeance...but that would have to wait.

"I am Princess Diana of the Amazons, Ambassador to man," she introduced shakily. "I believe your Mr Luthor is expecting me?"

It took Conner three hours to find Chloe's house from up above. He could only see so much from above the clouds, and there was no way he would open up a can-of-worms by landing and giing civilians the chance to question his involvment in today's earlier disturbance.
However it didn't hurt that he got a chance to really fly for once. Lex's training program was strict that he was never allowed to go higher than 10ft in the air. He had to be at least 10 stories up in the air, and he was loving every second of it.
When he finally did get around to landing and going home it was dark. After a few minutes of stalking, Conner leaped over his backyard fence. Using the back door entrance, Conner was able to get as far as the staircase landing before Mr. Jones reared his ugly head.

"Chloe told us what happened."

"Sorry, if I worried you. I was only-"

"Helping?"

Conner blushed. His father was a tall, regal police detective, and every word he said was perfectly articulated. Whenever he did something bad, Conner couldn't help but feel like one of his suspects in a case.

"Don't worry kid; I wanted to congratulate you for a job well-done. All those people saved? It was you wasn't it?"

Conner shrunk back a little. He didn't want to tell his father that he didn't do anything but get yelled at. Nor did he want to mention his not-so hasty retreat. He simply nodded and began to climb the staircase.

"Good job, kiddo. I got a case coming up and I have to head out of town for awhile. You'll have the house to yourself since your mom is coming along also. You be good, 'kay? No shenanigans"

Conner smiled, and gave another nod before entering his room. Walking over to his answering machine he noticed he had two messages.

Message 1:
"Conner are you okay? I came by your place earlier, but you weren't back yet. Don't forget about the press junket tommorrow evening! I'll try squeezing an interview with Don Hall in. He's a cutie."

Message 2:
"Hey, is this Conner? Hank wanted me to inform you that both of our candidates are prepped and ready to go. I have a feeling that you weren't given a chance to do some recruiting of your own. I'll keep Hank in check (at least I'll try to), you just get some sleep. Goodbye."

Conner let out an exhausted sigh and fell face first into his bed.

Mr. Freeze stares out of the window at the city of Gotham. At long last my day of revenge has arrived. Seeing the way the sun was just beginning to set over Gotham it reminds him of the moment he first saw Nora across the quad at Gotham University. Then he sees something else in the window the reflection of who he is now. A man with no emotions...a man who wants to make humanity pay for what has happened to him.

He hears one of cronies, James, call out to him. He says, "Hey Mr. Freeze we're ready when you are."

Freeze shakes his head to clear it of the sentimental moment that he allowed himself to have. No more of those it is time...time for the cold unforgiving hand of vengence to strike Gotham. He says, "Very well make sure my suit is ready." James replies, "Already done Mr. Freeze the auto-defense system you installed last night looks like it is working just fine. No one will, literally, be able to touch you." Just then he hears another man ylep, "AHHH!" Freeze rushes over and back hands the cronie. He says, "You fool Carl! How many times have I told you no one else can hold my gun but me. It responds specifically to my hand weight, my hand pressure and my DNA. You're lucky you dropped it when you did or you would've been turned into a pilar of frozen liqud nitrogen." Freeze picks up his gun and lays it on the table. He puts on his suit and hooks his gun up to his suit.

He looks at the 4 men in front of him and says, "Gentlemen, today it is Jon Walker's birthday. Let us make it a day that his family & friends will never forget and a day he will dread the thought of ever having been born. Everyone in the truck Carl you drive to the address on this paper." He hands him a peice of paper and says, "You all may rob whoever you wish, and steal whatever you want. However no one is to touch Jon Walker. That is my only order. Anyone who disobeys that order will share Walker's fate as well." The truck is silent and Freeze says, "Let's go."

The delivery truck leaves the meat packing plant. A million thoughts are going through Freeze's mind right now and all of them lead to one thing...the image of Jon Walker encased in ice.

I sat at my desk, my heels up on it’s surface, my chair tilted back. I look again at the paper on my desk and remember the one mom had yesterday. As lame as it sounds…”The heroes” are back, it’s totally true.

I think for a moment before picking the phone up and turning the dial. “click click click ching” Over and over again..I really have to get a touchtone one….I lean back and listen to the phone ring.

“Gotham City Police Department. How may I help you?”

“Detective Slam Bradley, please.” I ask.

“Just a moment please.”

I shift in my chair causing it to creak.

“’ello.”

I lean forward hearing his voice.

“Hey Slam! It’s Dinah.” Through the phone I could almost feel the warm smile.

“Hey lil’ lady! What can I help you with?”

“I actually just thought we might get together sometime, catch up and all that.” I had my mind set on something particular but I wasn’t lying when I told him that. He’d worked with my father, and although he was only about 11 years older than me he had a very fatherly feel about him.

“Hmm..so that’s it is it?” I could picture the twinkle in his eyes
“Well I’ve got a lunch break in about 30, we can meet at Lenny’s Diner. How’s that?”

I smile into the phone.
“Perfect! Ill see you then.”

I hung up the phone gentle and pumped my arm.
“YES!” Bouncing up I open the door between the office and the ‘lobby’ and stick my head out.

“Milly, I’m off for lunch in about 30.” I tell her. She’s sitting up straight in her chair, her nose deep into her book and a hankie in one hand.

She nods and continues reading. I lean over farther and catch the title of the book.

“His Arms” I smile and shake my head. A romance novel…I was pulling my head back into my office when I heard the thumping of feet in the hallway and paused, it was coming towards our door and then it stopped. I pushed open the door to the office more and stepped out as the outer door flew open. Melody stood there gasping for breathe.

“Turn on your tv!”

I shake my head.
“We don’t have one.” I say looking at Milly confused.

I’d harldy gotten it out of my mouth when Mel cut in.
“Your radio!” I shake my head.

“What’s…” She grabs my wrist and drags me down the hall to the Dental office.

“going..” She pulls the door open and shoves me inside.

“On….OH!” I say as I catch sight of the TV in the denta;l office lobby. The two people waiting are staring at it their mouths open.

Images of blacked forest and pits in the ground are shown.

“..tropolis, and here is where eyewitnesses say they saw a woman, a giant and the ‘hero’ called the “Nazi Super-Man” locked in battle. A teenager was reported in the area but it hasn’t been substanciated at this time.
The most notable person was the appearance of Barry Allen, The Flash as he came and subdued the flames that only a little while ago engulfed this area…”

32 minutes later I sit in Lenny’s diner, the faded red metallic plastic fabric of the bench seat squeaking slightly when I move. Slashes and cracks in the fabric allowed stuffing to show through. I lean forward trying to digest everything, mentally counting the number of heroes or vigilanties there are now in the public eye. This ‘Super-Man’, a woman wearing a loin cloth..I roll my eyes..oh won’t she make a few rounds on the internet. And abig white giant, not to mention Gotham’s favorite rodent.

I cup my hands around my cool plastic cup full of root beer. Have to find out who he is…

“This seat taken?” I look up at the voice and find myself looking up at the smiling face of Slam Bradley.

“Nope.” I said as he slid into the seat and settled himself, taking his fedora off and setting it on the bench next to him. He was tall and musculer, his face weathered and rugged. The kind of man a woman would swoon over in those old detective novels, as long as he was the detective.
I never did figure out why he was still on the GCPD payroll, it’s a mystery I’ll solve someday.

The waitress buzzes by and we order. We’re soon small talking over our ‘burgers and fries.

The waitress cleared our used plates up and sat a Chocolate milkshake down in front of me and a alice of apple pie in front of Slam. I take a long sip as Slam leans back and takes a sip from his coffee.

“So, what do you want to know?”

I arch my eyebrow.
“ ‘Know’?”

He smiles.
“Come on Dinah, I’m a detective. Also I knew your father.” He leaned forward and pointed a weathered and tanned index finger at me.
“And out of all of the Lance children you’re the most like your mother and father. Making it easy for me to read me. Now what’s up.?”

I take a big long sip of my milkshake through my straw and look at him before straighteing up and placing both hands on the table.

“Batman.” I say low

Slam puts his coffee cup down.

“No.”

I look at him surprised. He’s never said no to me.
“What?” I ask, wondering what he meant no to. To my question or why I was asking the question?

“You aren’t investigating Batman.”

“What? Why?” He leans over and grabs a newspaper from the bar and smacks it on the table turning it towards me.

“ That is why.” He said, his finger pointing to the headline.

MASKED MYTHS GRIP GOTHAM
'Batman' And 'Scarecrow' Sightings Under Police Investigation p.3

I look at it slightly in shock picking up the paper and studying it, before a smile spread across my face and I peeked over the paper at him.

“So…are you working the case?” I ask hoping that he was.

“Heh…no..they won’t let me near it. But you aren’t, the GCPD is protecting this like gold. If you go after him you’ll be getting’ on the bad side of the higher ups. Something that isn’t good in your line of work.” He said taking a bite of pie.

I place the newspaper on the table and lean forward.
“Slam..look…I have to have a big case..I have to. The agency is going under and all I’m getting are phone calls for missing cats.”

He pointed to my hair.
“What about the Oleander Case? You solved that one. Got you in good with the PD too.”

I slam my palm on the table.
“One case in how long? How long? Slam, I’m a girl… a twenty year old female. No one takes me seriously. I need something big to prove I am.”

“And you think catching this ‘Batman’ will be big? Don’t think like that Dinah. It would just be a shooting star of fame. The trick is to be steady with your cases, they don’t need to be ‘big’ just solid. Have solid outcomes that fufill the client’s expectations.” He took the last bite of his pie and rose, placing his fedora on his head. My dissapointment was clear, and he smiled, tapping my nose with his finger.

I smile and tilt my head up to look at him.
“Why are you still in the PD and not freelance?” I ask not thinking.

He smiles.
“Then I wouldn’t know the inside tip.” He took a sip of his coffee quickly.
“Look at Gotham’s upper sets.”

I give a little jump. And lower my voice.
‘Is that what the PD is doing?” He shook his head.

“No, but who else would have enough money for gadget’s like he uses?” He winked.
“Stay safe Dinah.” He said placing a large wad of bill on the table and leaving.

I lean forward and place my chin in my hands, pulling the straw of the milkshake into my mouth with my tongue. I glance down at the bills on the table. He’d paid for lunch…as always….
I sipped the milkshake, thinking. If he was right and Batman was from the ‘upper’ sets of Gotham then I’d better get to work profiling everyone. First I had to see him in real life first. SO far no one had been able to get even a picture of him.
I could see him two way’s. Commit a crime and hope he shows up or…track him myself. In which case….I smile, my own secret identity might be useful.
*Shhhlurp* I jump slightly at the sound of reaching the bottom of the cup. Standing I wave to the waitress and leave the table after adding my own little tip.

I have lot’s of work to do.

( IC Hawkman )

A blip on the radar screen reveals a fast moving object flying over the Atlantic Ocean...

Radar Operator- "Sir, we have an object heading course, zero-zero-niner-five-one-seven-five. Aproximately moveing at velocity mach 3. Object is unidentified and small. Approxiamtley at an altitude of 5 thousand feet"

Admiral-"Thats a pretty fast moving object..low too. Any heat signitures indicate it's something hot?"

Radar Operator 2- "That's a negative Sir."

Admiral- "Then what are you waiting for get a couple birds in the air to check it out!"

CUT TO Carter Hall flying over the ocean in a winged harness and a ancient mace in his hand.

This is the most alive I have felt in a while. Nabu said it wouldn't take long to get used to flying again. He was right. I don't even know how fast I am going and how I am keeping from taking in gulps of air. I am not even cold even all I have on is pants, boots and some gloves. Nabu told me so much about who I am. I sensed somehow incredibly he was telling the truth. Off course I am talking about a voice I heard inside my head. Much like the voices I heard when I was a child and everyone thought I was insane. What would they think now? I feel like I am bigger and stronger than I was when I first went to the pyramids. Not that I was that wimpy before but this is like being infused with some new extremely powerful energy. Nabu said I was the descendent of the original Hawkgod, Khufu. His spirit resides in my bloodline. If thats the case why did it choose me and not my father? Nabu said a great evil has awakened and becasue of it, my time had come to be reborn. I wonder if the person that sent me the dagger has anything to do with it. I forgot to mention that to Nabu while he explained the history of my lineage? God, listen to me,...my lineage!? Well at least he sent me in the right direction. He let me know there are others who I need to gather to help with this great fight but to approach with caution. He let me know of a disturbance back in the US of great magnitude. It all sounds so cool and believable when he says it but when I repeat it to myself it soundds so f***ed up. Do I even tell mom or dad about this. I havent even talked to dad in years...

Pilot 1- "No visual yet but we have it on radar. It's approaching fast we should see it...

WHOOOOSH !!!!!

Pilot 1- "HOLY S**T. That thing was moving fast. It flew past us without a second look. Hard to make out but it looked like...

Communication Officer- "Go ahead. It looked like a what?"

Pilot 2- "It looked like a person with wings! I know it sounds crazy but I think we both saw it. We are turning and moving in to get a MUCH closer look."

Admiral- " A person with wings? That the best answer you can come up with. You sure he wasnt little with green skin as well? I WANT CONFIRMATION ON THIS NOW! Get a squad up there and see what it is these two really saw."

What the bad place was that I just passed? Two jets? I was so lost in thought I barelyt noticed. I am sure they noticed me. Hmmm...I dont want to be shot down even before I reach the main land. I can't believe I am not even tired from flying all this way. there must be some aircraft carrier somewhere around here that they came from I best look for it...

The two planes swing around and begin to move in as Carter slows down. As the 3 come closer to one another 5 more jets roar up and fall into formation...

Carter darts and swoops effotlessly almost from plane to plane to check its pilots and notices the framiliar US Navy emblem on them...

Pilot 3/Squad Leader- "Admiral as crazy as it sounds we are in formation with a winged man. I repeat a winged man. He is holding what appears to be a mace. Its kind of glowing with some energy. He's built like a brick s**t house and he isn't weaing a shirt. If I weren't observing this I would be insane. He isnt attakcing just the same he seems to be flying in our wake. Shall we bring him, it, whatever back to the ship?"

Admiral- "bad place yes! I want to see this for myself."

Pilot 1- "Bring him in? Like we could if we wanted. This guy is flying circles around us at incredible speeds".

Pilot 4- "I hope this isn't new Japanese technology".

The Admiral turns to the crew as he gets of the com...

Admiral- " Alert the rest of the fleet about our "guest". Tell them to be on high alert. I wonder if this has anything to do with that incident that happened earlier in Metropolis?"

TBA

One year ago.

Pamela Isley got into the taxi. She was a well paid and famous botanist, but still was too lazy to purchase a car.

“To Saint Alephaba’s Park please,”

As the yellow automobile flew across the gothic streets of Gotham, Pamela pulled up her hair in a bun. It had been a long week. Her boyfriend had dumped her, her cat died, the lab called and said Subject 3 had finally passed away. She just wanted Project Regenious to be over. Her work was getting in the way of too many things.

Her work. It was the success in her life and the failure. Regenious was opened by the government in hopes of finding a new way to regenerate life. The operations famed scientist, Pamela, had succeeded in developing that miracle. The only problem was it had never been testing on anything but plants and the chance of it working on anything else was only 25%.

The taxi stopped in front of a lush green field. The only scenery on the whole stretch of land was a single statue of Saint Alephaba. Quickly paying the driver, she got out of the car. The air grew heavy and hot. The red haired girl out stretched her hands and let the refreshing rain soak onto her body. Pamela always loved the rain; it was like a pick-me-up to restore her day.

After soaking for a bit, she walked to the monument hand kneeled, as if she were praying, and spoke to herself.

“Eleka Namen”

The gray statue responded to the command by unfolding its wide arms as if it were alive. The statue was just a guise for a door. She stepped in and pressed down upon the back of the monument. The arms shut once more and the ground moved down.

Inside the lab, Pamela was greeted by a room full of plants and cells. The scientist grabbed a lab coat and slipped it on. She by passed a few rooms before entering her office. The botanist grabbed a clipboard like panel and flicked a button on the side. The board powered up like an average computer would. After a second, the screen revealed a list of patients. Placing the clipboard on her desk, she moved over to the window. Rows of flowers decorating her windowsill revealed another obvious passion: Botany.

She sniffed the fresh smell of roses and poppies. She reached into her pocket and pulled out a small tube of water. Cutting off one of the flowers, she placed it in water and snapped it in securely. She grabbed her clipboard and scanned it again. The name Jason Woodrue was highlighted. With the flower in one hand and the clipboard in the other, Pamela marched towards Jason’s cell.

Jason Woodrue was one of Pamela’s patients. He was an agent of the government and had been sent to Project Regenious as a test subject. He was experiencing a few minor emotional setbacks from the operation.

“Hello Jason. How are you today? I am here for your prescheduled exam,”

“Unless it is sex, Dr. Isley, I do not want it,”
“That is not the way to react Jason. Here. I brought you a flower. These always help me through tough times,”
“I do not want a damn pansy flower!”

Pamela placed the flower in her pocket and took out a syringe. She entered it into his arm and started to take the blood. Jason’s hand slowly wandered up to her breast.

“Jason. Please. This is not the time for romance,”
“bad place if isn’t,” Jason said. He lunged forward and held the female down. Pamela fought with all her might. She managed to get free. Pulling out a pair of restraints, she latched him to the bedside.

“Jason! Stop this! I can never be…be..with someone like you. It isn’t natural!”
“Then you shall become one like me!”

The beast yanked at the wall and ripped off his cuffs. The operation had increased his strength. With a single blow, he knocked the fine doctor out.

Pamela Isley’s head was pounding severely. Her surroundings were blurred and unfocused. She had no idea where she was or what had happened. The red haired botanist felt her forehead. A cold red substance soaked her weak fingers. Quickly she stood up and looked around, unsure of what to expect. As the environment regained a clear focus, she noticed where she was: Test Chamber 719. This chamber was used for patients going under the Regenious Process.

The process introduced the plant seed known as Rycogec into the human body in a gas form. The gas then amplified the human tissue, making every cell photosynthetic and increasing the strength of every muscle. This only worked on 25% of all test subjects. The experiment had failed on every subject but one: Jason Woodrue.

All her memories flowed back into her mind. Jason had knocked her out when she went to his daily check-in routine. Pamela was now trapped in a dungeon that turned people into psychotic monsters.

“Jason. Please, this is unnecessary.”

“You try living as a monster,”
“Jason..I am a monster…just look at me…I destroyed your life..I destroyed mine. Please, just do not kill me,”
“Oh I won’t kill you! I WILL RECREATE YOU!”

A green gas filled the room. It was the Rycogec entering the chamber. Pamela screamed with terror. The screams replaced with coughs, the gas rushed and bombarded Pam instantly.

“Jas…sson..pleaaa…s…seee,”

The girl looked at her skin. It slowly began to tint green. This was an unexpected side effect. The plants from outside the chamber slowly crept out and into the chamber. She tried pounding on the walls, but no luck. She must not be gaining super strength. That is when Pamela noticed: the rose was in her pocket the whole time. The rose must be combining with the gas. This must be the cause of the side effects.

Soon the gas cleared the tube and Pamela stood up.

“JASON!”
“Dr. Isley..you are renewed..I can’t believe it,”
“I can’t believe you did this to me! I HATE YOU! YOU MONSTER!”

The female’s fury began to build. Just then, one of the plants pulled down upon Jason’s neck. With a tug, it snapped.

“No..what is this? I just thought about it..and it happened,”
Pamela ran towards the elevator, leaping over Woodrue’s corpse.

As she approached ground level, she saw the unexpected. The park was roaming with new plant life. And it was raining. The rain. It renewed her thoughts.

gothamknights61.jpg

Now

Pamela Isley’s naked body glided up on to the porch; vines snaking around her feet. The address read 763 Jester Avenue. The house belonged to once friend, colleague, and psychiatrist Harleen Francis Quinzel. When Pam’s father had died, Harleen helped her through the mental stress.

Pamela knocked on the door. Her head was dazed with questions and fright. She had been in a form of mental hibernation for more than a year. She remembered the accident, but bits and pieces of everything else. The door slung open.

“Pamela? Is that you? I thought you were dead,”
“Harley? Please..help me,” Pamela stepped forward, but a vine wrapped around Harleen’s leg, pulling her and a near by table down to the floor. The doctor screamed and cut the plant in half with a smashed vase.

“AHHH!” Pamela screamed in pain almost like she was connected to the plant. A small flytrap slithered out of the botanist opened mouth.

“Get out you demon! You are not the Pamela Isley I knew! SHE IS DEAD,” Harleen slammed the door shut and grabbed the phone.

“Hello? Lance Investigations? This is Harleen Quinzel. I just saw…can you hold a second?” A small piece of paper caught her eye. Picking it up, she saw the name Jason Woodrue.

"Well what do you think" Crane held up the device to the tall figure. "I can place the toxin in here and with a press of the button it releases the gas and look I can hide it under my sleeve"

VERY NICE CRANE NOW WE MUST GO AND FINISH THE JOB

"Yes... I guess we must" he said hesitantly. His face seem to jerked and their was something differnt about Jonathan Crane. "Sometimes Crane I think you are to fearful for this I guess I have to take over" he ran upstairs and opened a closet he placed on a brown shirt and a black cloak. He wore black black pants and put on some black gloves. He place the mask into his pockets and waited for the right time. He went into the kitchen and grabbed a large butcher knife. He walked over to the front doors and slammed them opened

"Now Miss Vale you will soon taste what the rest of the world will...Fear!"

(IC: Bruce Wayne)

I'm alone. Part of me prefers it. The silence... The calmness of the area... It's relaxing. I'm at peace, in the solitude of it.

Tonight, however, I'm not going to be alone. A guest will help me in occupying the Mansion. It was, at first, a simple means of convincing everyone that Bruce Wayne was not the same man that had been terrorising Gotham's criminal element for the past few days. In order to keep functioning in Gotham City as a vigilante and upper class citizen, without threat to my allies, I had to convince everyone that Bruce Wayne and Batman were two different men.

However... I can't help but feel that inviting her here, tonight, was a means to fill some other purpose. Perhaps one of loneliness. I could've easily forgotten about her... I could've ignored her when she had left the Gala, that night. But instead, I invited her here. For dinner.

Did I want this? Becoming Batman had changed me in alot of ways... Though my intentions remained intact. However, there was still a void left in me by Talia's death. I missed the feeling of love. Is it wrong for me to have that? After all... While I do my best to try and convince the criminals of Gotham City otherwise... I am only human. So is it only natural that I have needs, regardless of whether or not I want them?

I stand on the balcony of Wayne Manor... My father's house... watching as the sun lowers above the distant figure of Gotham City. I know what I'm going to be thinking, when that sun goes down.

I should be out there.

However, I've made a point not to. Not tonight, anyway. Someone is in danger... And they probably don't even know it. While there are other ways... This method is the most convieniant. So, in simplistic terms... Tonight, I'm dating Vicki Vale in order to protect her.

And the fact that I'm trying to convince myself that that is the only reason is somewhat of a reverse hypocritical. Why am I trying to think up an excuse to enjoy myself? Is that what my life is going to become? Or... has it, already?

I close my eyes, letting the cool breeze of the coming night air come to me. It reminds me of what I'm going to be missing, tonight.

I open them, at the sound of the twin doors, leading into the dining room, opening. I look back, to see Alfred.

"Your date is here, Master Bruce.", He says. I look down, seeing the car parked, and seeing her getting out, below. I turn to Alfred.

"...Any other announcements, Old friend?", I say, with a casual smirk.

Alfred begins lighting the candles on the dinner table (The rediculously huge dinner table, I might add.), as he responds.

"I think that'll be all from me tonight, Sir. Except one more thing, of course. Good luck.", He says, looking at me. I nod, as he exits the room.

He's trying his best to hide it, but... He's overjoyed, at this. If it weren't for him, this wouldn't be happening in the first place, after all. I wish I shared his enthusiasm... There really isn't that good of a reason not to be at least somewhat enthusiastic about this.

Vicki Vale. Beautiful. Stunning, really. Smart. Resourceful. Independant. If she were running around in a costume of some sort during the later hours, one would think she was perfect for me...

Yet I don't even care. What HAVE I become?

My thoughts immediatley cease the minute she walks through the door. Her coat hid the dress she's wearing, when I originally saw her pull up. To say the least... It caught me off guard. I try to say something... but words cannot seem to escape my lips.

"Hi.", She says, with a smile.

I nearly topple over the table, walking over to her. Half of it is part of the 'act'... But half of it, to my surprise, is actually genuine. I smile, aswell. The act is taking over.

"Hi."

She tries her best not to laugh, when I loose my balance for that instance.

"I hope this wasn't too much.", She says, addressing her attire.

"Not at all. Perfect, I'd say. You look-"

I stop.

"...I can compliment, right?", I ask, with somewhat of a laugh, in reference to the other night. She smiles, walking over as I pull out her chair.

"I don't see the harm in it.", She responds, sitting down. I smile. The act. It's only the act. It has to be the act.

"In that case... You look stunning, tonight."

She smiles again. That's when I spot the recorder in her purse. The interview. I forgot about that... Damn it...

"I bet you practiced that line infront of a mirror all day.", She says, jokingly.

"Perhaps. But if I did, the original line was 'beautiful'. 'Stunning' was entirely provoked by you.", I say. I hope that was right to say. I've never been good with socialisation. Well... genuine socialisation.

From her reaction, I did well.

As I sit down, I quickly realise I'm sitting at least ten feet away from her. We both pause, for a moment. Finally, I clear my throat.

"Maybe it would be better if I sat by you."

"I wouldn't object." She says, as we both laugh at the absurdity of the situation. I walk over, and sit down, next to her. I soon realise it's only going to be more difficult for me now, considering it'll be harder to avoid questions during the interview when I'm sitting right here infront of her...

"Dinner will be in shortly. Alfred's still preparing it... So, if you want to get that interview out of the way..."

"Are you sure? I don't want to seem too eager..."

"Of course I'm sure. I actually think it'd be better to get it out of the way now, so we can enjoy the rest of the evening. Plus... I really have nothing to hide.", I say, reassuringly.

Except for the fact that I run around in a cape and cowl, at night... Those of which are sitting in a gigantic Cave, underneath us, at this very moment.

...I never told myself I'd have to be honest, when planning my mission out.

She nods, taking out a tape recorder.

"Well... Okay. As long as you're comfortable with it.", She says. I nod, as she turns it on.

"Fire away."

I'm going to regret that. I just know I am.

"So... For starters... Where were you, all of those years?"

Did she just...?

Oh... This definatley isn't going to be easy...

"Excuse me?"

"You were reported missing for six years. No one had seen or heard from you for quite some time. Where were you?", She asks, curiously.

Okay, this is my first obstacle. How can I answer that?

Wait... I've got it...

"Well, really... I was persuing my education, truth be told."

"Out of Gotham?"

"Wealth can bring you to strange places."

"So... You were off studying, all of those years?"

I don't even have to lie with this, really. I was studying. It's just the subjects that I'm going to be vague about.

"It's strange... I know. But I felt if I kept myself moving, it wouldn't be as hard having to deal with-"

"The pain?"

I stop. Her eyes widen, a little, stopping the tape recording.

"Oh my god... I-I'm sorry. I didn't mean to-"

"No... No, it's no problem at all. You were right, actually.", I say, with a reassuring smile. She eases.

"Sometimes I tend to say things that can piss some people off.", She says, embarassed. I shake my head.

"You're doing fine.", I say. We share somewhat of a relieved stare, before the moment passes.

"So... Moving on...", She says, turning the tape recorder back on. "Why come back to Gotham now?"

"Well... I knew that Wayne Enterprises was going to be going under new management, soon. The company was struggling, as alot of people knew. I simply figured it was time that I payed my parent's back for the years they gave to the city, and to me.", I say.

I raise an eyebrow.

"I'm not rambling, am I?"

She shakes her head.

"No. That was... perfect." She says, giving me another smile. This one, however... it was different. As if she were in a trance.

...Something tells me there was a double meaning, there. Is she falling for me? Or is that my own arrogant bias?

"What do you feel about the economic growth of the country over the past few years? Do you think that Gotham is getting it's deserved treatment?", She asks.

Well, at least she didn't ask if I were Batman or not. I clear my thoat, before answering.

"Well... Really, I don't much about that at all. I just got into the buisness... I'm still learning the ropes.", I say, with a shrug.

The ecomic growth is maddening, in comparison to Gotham. Metropolis is being considered the city of tommorow, while Gotham is feared, these days. It's unfair treatment, especially towards it's good citizens. Tjey deserve a city that's clean, and a city that's safe to live in, rather than having to look over their shoulders every night. That's why I got into the industrial buisness... to try and build a better city. A rightful city, for the good people.

...Of course, If I'm to sound like an idiotic playboy, I couldn't tell her that.

She nods.

"It's okay. I didn't come up with that question anyway... It was more of a suggestion, during my research.", She says.

This is actually going better than I imagined. Now, It just needs to keep up...

"Now, let's clear up a rumor... Is it true that you have a girlfriend? Some reporter, or something?", She asks, with a sly smile.

I return the smile.

"Well, I do know one. And I'm quite fond of her, actually. I think it's mostly her call as to whether she wants it to develop any further...", I say, with my eyes narrowed.

"Good answer.", She says.

I notice she's switched off the tape recorder. I look back up at her.

"And that was off the record, I'm assuming."

"Let's just say it was more of a personal question...", She says, as a gaze comes into her eyes.

"Really? Well... What about you're interview?", I ask, coming closer.

"Want to know a secret?"

I smile.

"I didn't come here for the interview...", She says, coming closer to me, aswell.

...What the bad place is happening? Am I even in control, anymore here?

Our faces are mere inches apart, at this point.

"Funny. The interview wasn't the real reason I invited you, either...", I say, leaning forward.

"I guess we have something in common, after all..." She says, smiling, leaning forward aswell.

"Do you want to know a secret?", I ask, repeating her question, as we come, ever so closer...

Dear god, I think I AM in control...

"I do have a girlfriend."

"And who would that lucky individual happen to be?", She asks, as we go from inches, to milimeters apart, in a matter of seconds.

"I'm looking at her...", I say, as our lips just barely touch.

...And that, unfortunatley, is when the doors behind us reopen. We both sit back in our chairs, straightening ourselves out, as Alfred comes in, carrying two food trays. He looks at us, as we try to hide what, exactly, we were close to doing. I can't even believe it went that far.

Alfred raises an eyebrow.

"I... um... hope I'm not interrupting anything.", He says.

I give Vicki a nervous smile, while responding.

"Uh... No, not... not at all, Alfred.", I say. She nods. "We were just... kis...-talking. Yes, talking. That's it."

Alfred gives us both strange looks. This is my actually first ''date'', oddly enough. I can't help but feel Alfred is getting some sort of sick, twisted enjoyment out of this, as he smiles and nods.

"Whatever you say, Master Bruce.", He says, after laying the trays down on the table.

He turns around, walking out. I can swear I see his smile turn into a grin, as he turns.

"If either of you need me, I'll be downstairs.", He says.

"Thanks, Alfred. We'll keep that in mind.", I say, making it known that I'd rather be alone with Vicki.

He nods, getting the message, before leaving. I look at Vicki.

"Well, he's loyal, at least.", I say. We both laugh, for a minute... But by the time we're done, neither of us are paying attention to the food.

A minute passes of silence. Oh, to bad place with it.

We embrace in a kiss. It's the first one I've felt since Talia... But, I think I needed it. To remind me that there are 'other fish in the sea', as the phrase goes.

Funny thing. It's been dark outside for at least thirty minutes. ...And I haven't had one single urge to call this off so I could go out there. Maybe there really isn't anything wrong with me. Maybe there's actual hope for me, too...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"