Far From Home The Uncle Ben Problem

Eddie Dean

Jokerfied
Reaction score
So are they just totally going to ignore him in this version of Spider-Man or what?

Its pretty obvious who's serving as the Uncle Ben in the mcu. I personally don't like it.

They did allude to him in the last movie, although they certainly didn't dwell on it. The question is whether an explicit or lengthy reference is needed.

They could have adapted Ben in the first film and let him live. And they could have saved the being shot moment for another Spidey movie or gave him another death scenario. That wouldn't be as drastic as the casting to Aunt May/MJ/Flash imo. But it is what it is. There's really no Ben Parker in the mcu and Tony Stark has replaced him in the life of Peter in these MCU movies.

Yeah, that idea is terrible. Ben is the reason Peter is Spider-Man, and even in the MCU the event is vaguely referenced. Peter being Spider-Man while Ben is alive is straight trash on a hot, 100 degree Summer day.

They retconned with Tony, worst decision ever. Peter is/was a lapdog to Tony's hubris. Not the same with Peter/Ben. It's as if Ben never existed and Peter only became Spidey to impress Tony and become an avenger.

Last edited:
That's not true. While not mentioned by name, Peter's motivations were outlined in Civil War. Granted, Homecoming had him trying to please Tony quite heavily, but it wasn't the reason he became Spider-Man.

I may be a problem for some but Im so happy he or his story-line is not in this movie and hopefully he wont be in future in films

I don't want to see uncle been die in a spider-man movie ever again nor do i need to hear with Great power, great responsibilities for the 1000th time. Even the Peter Parker in Spiderverse told
Miles Morales to shut up when he was about to say it because even he was tired of hearing it

lets face it the spider-man franchise has taken the uncle ben story and ran it into ground and I went from be excited during the original Spider-man trilogy about seeing uncle been to dreading his appearance in future spider-man films

any goodwill I had for the character or his story was completely gone by the time Amazing spiderman 2 came out. so when they announced A new spiderman was coming to the MCU I was not excited about it at all because My first thought was here we go again who are they going to get to play uncle ben killer this time lol

I not fan of the last Jedi but this line sums up how I feel about Uncle ben perfectly

“Let the past die. Kill it, if you have to” and for gods sake please do not ever let me see uncle ben die onscreen again....

Gonna reiterate more or less what I said in the other thread. When some folks bring up the fact of whether Ben will ever be brought up in these movies or not, others will imediately jump to the old "but we don't want to see the same origin again!" argument, which doesn't really hold much water and here's why:

It's obvious no one wants to see how Peter became Spider-Man, of course not. We all know it by heart. What some people, myself included, do want to see is Ben being brought up in a conversation between Peter and May. Just something to let us know about the other person he looked up to and admired just as much as Tony, and how it's all seemingly happening again, with him losing another parental figure.

Uncle Ben's character and his philosophy is a vital part of why Spider-Man does what he does. Fans who act like Ben isn't really that important to who Peter is aren't, in my humble opinion, big fans of the character or don't really understand Spidey that much to begin with.

A loaded statement that will probably get me some flack, I know, but it's what I honestly believe.

Ben Parker, director of U.N.C.L.E. I’m here to talk to you about the nephew initiative.

I never understood this fascination with needing to reference Uncle Ben all the time. Yea I get it, he's a vital part of why Peter does what he does, but he doesn't need to come up all the time. You pick up a random issue from the comics and chances are there is zero references to Ben. Its the same with Batman, I don't need hear a conversation about his parents or some flashback showing falling pearls every time there's a Batman movie. We all know why he does what he does.

Yeah no, honoring a true hero has nothing to do with that.

Or maybe there was. We just haven't seen the origin because they know audiences are already familiar with it.

Maybe there was, but a hint/small reference or an easter egg is something casual audiences can easily missed. I have Civil War/Homecoming in physical and have just seen Infinity War in a theater last month. As far as I'm concerned, Uncle Ben is a no factor to the MCU Spidey. Its been 4 films, counting Endgame. Would that change in Far from Home, I doubt it.

My theory on this is that Feige didn't want to do the whole uncle ben thing on this version of Spidey is because they dont fully own this incarnation so if they ever do get the full rights back then they can start from scratch and show uncle ben. Tom Holland's spider-man is kind of a glass half full version because marvel don't fully own it I dont think they wanted to waste such iconic moments on a character they didn't fully own.

Honestly I actually think the downplaying of Ben is a bit refreshing after the Riami movies(which I realize were a long time ago). The original Riami movies especially the two sequels leaned a little too heavily on the Uncle Ben character for my taste and I just found it redundant. Though It would be nice to see at least a picture of Ben in the movie since we don’t know what the MCU version of Ben looks like.

Maybe they’ll cast Brad Pitt as MCU Ben. It would make sense seeing as they cast an attractive actress to play May. Why not have an attractive Ben to match?

I never understood this fascination with needing to reference Uncle Ben all the time. Yea I get it, he's a vital part of why Peter does what he does, but he doesn't need to come up all the time. You pick up a random issue from the comics and chances are there is zero references to Ben. Its the same with Batman, I don't need hear a conversation about his parents or some flashback showing falling pearls every time there's a Batman movie. We all know why he does what he does.

You haven't read a single word of my post, did you? I personally didn't say he had to be referenced all the time, or even more than once.

Maybe there was, but a hint/small reference or an easter egg is something casual audiences can easily missed. I have Civil War/Homecoming in physical and have just seen Infinity War in a theater last month. As far as I'm concerned, Uncle Ben is a no factor to the MCU Spidey. Its been 4 films, counting Endgame. Would that change in Far from Home, I doubt it.

Ben had a presence in that scene when Tony talks with Peter in Civil War, which I really liked. He definitely had an impact on him. He is a factor, just not a focused one.

You haven't read a single word of my post, did you? I personally didn't say he had to be referenced all the time, or even more than once.

I read it. I didn't write my post with you in mind. I more or less agree.

Peter didn't use his spider-sense to help his uncle win the lottery, that's why he left the MCU to move elsewhere.

This taught Spider-Man the lesson that he did a bad thing by not using his powers, and saw a register hold up take place in a horse track once, this is when he realized he needs to do something, or it's his fault that bad things happen (like his uncle leaving home).

Peter trips the man with the gun, security grabbed him, and Spider-Man was born.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MartyMcFly1985
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"