The unEDUCATED DC Boards Lounge

Discussion in 'DC Comics' started by WompuM, Aug 28, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BlackLantern Registered

No....she's fat and married.....we've actually become pretty cool since my desk got moved near her office

2. Tron Bonne All Ass, No Sass

Why is she a closet fan? Because it's a comic book thing?

3. BlackLantern Registered

pretty much...she's been re-watching the tv series lately and we got to talking and she said she's always liked the concept of WW but never really got into the comics

4. Darthphere Kneel before 'Drox!

Slap that ***** into a china cabinet.

5. BlackLantern Registered

why would I do that?

6. Darthphere Kneel before 'Drox!

So she can read comics, duh.

7. BlackLantern Registered

well there isn't a china cabinet in our office and since when does slapping someone make them read comics?

8. Darthphere Kneel before 'Drox!

You're right, you don't need a reason to slap a ***** into a cabinet. Good point BL.

9. Tron Bonne All Ass, No Sass

Has she told you a reason why she doesn't follow her comics by chance, or is it just the general 'no one reads comics' thing?

10. BlackLantern Registered

mostly that

11. fifthfiend M4J3ST1C L3G1SL4C3R4TOR

So basically what you're saying is, she's a highly intelligent individual who makes incredibly sensible decisions about how to spend her time.

12. BlackLantern Registered

basically.....I understand that not everyone reads comics and it is not my duty to push the comic reading agenda

13. Tron Bonne All Ass, No Sass

I don't try to 'push' comics or anything, but I recommend them regardless if I think someone may be interested. Same way I recommend movies, books, and TV shows. I don't think it's a big deal.

14. BlackLantern Registered

so Im flipping around and Nickelodeon is showing Turtles Forever....I know they got the franchise now I just wasn't expecting them to start showing stuff right away

15. Darthphere Kneel before 'Drox!

Sure it is.

16. BlackLantern Registered

no Darth, its yours....you can intimidate people into reading comics with your intimidating leather jacket

17. Charlie Boy Registered

For whatever reason, I find people are more susceptible to read an indie comic that I recommend more than they are a book from DC or Marvel... I assume that's because they've seen so many super hero movies and cartoons growing up that they believe they know all there is to know about said characters, and see them more as kid stuff.

I know a couple people who actually didn't know comic books were still being written... They thought the artwork was just updated and whatever was written inside was what was written in the 40's, 50's or 60's. I have no idea how they even came up with that theory.

18. Hound55 Byfar The Most Evil Thing

At least he's functioning...

19. Darthphere Kneel before 'Drox!

If it's not the duty of the fans, whose is it? The comic book companies? I don't really want a generation of new fans reading Ultimates 3, aka fans like Drz.:oldrazz:

20. BlackLantern Registered

is this a serious question?? are you being serious right now??

21. lixdexia Registered

the medium will die soon if they don't do something. my idea is to go back to newsprint and 4 color pages for $1.50 an issue in supermarkets and gas stations. you can still produce the titles you have now for those already hooked, but you need to have a gateway product.

22. Darthphere Kneel before 'Drox!

Pretty much. I try to get people into comics by recommending stuff they would like based on their tastes and likes. Like every goth kid in high school was reading Sandman by the time I left that joint. Comics are a medium I love and I don't want to see it go, even though it seems inevitable. I guess I wholeheartedly disagree with the BlackLantern "it's not my problem" point of view.

23. Tron Bonne All Ass, No Sass

I don't really see myself in that kind of light, but I do try to recommend comics and try to get people to discover them based on their tastes. Thus far, very little success. Seems like anyone I actually get to read comics, they are only willing to take that one step. Got a friend interested in Persepolis, he loved it, the author came to our school and he got his copy signed and everything. But he basically refuses to go past that, won't even check out her other comics.

I don't think the medium will disappear, but with the way it's going now, in the next 5-10 years there's going to have to be some serious overhauls.

24. BlackLantern Registered

and most people are like that...they might watch something or read a graphic novel but that's really going to be it

25. Tron Bonne All Ass, No Sass

That's just very bizarre to me, honestly. It would seem if you found something that interested you in one thing, you would try to seek out more. Nothing radical like going into Borders and saying, 'Yeah, I'll take this shelf of GNs' or anything, but at least want to check out the writers other works. Especially if they loved it as much as the guy I'm talking about loved Persepolis.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.