The Unreal Engine

Discussion in 'The Batman' started by Sawyer, Feb 22, 2020.

1. Sawyer High King

El Mayimbe tweeted around the start of production that the Unreal Engine used on The Mandalorian was also going to be used on The Batman.

Here’s a bts video of the tech as it was used on The Mandalorian...

Gotta imagine this gives us our Batcave and rooftop stuff. I’ll be intrigued to see it.

2. C Prometheus Registered

I'm excited about this personally. Greig Fraser and Co. made excellent use of the Unreal Engine in Mandalorian and I think there's a lot of potential here in Reeves using this in tandem with the distinctively gothic on-location sets we've seen so far to create a properly spooky and unique looking Gotham City.

3. OutOfBoose #ReleaseTheAyerCut

In essence UE is a complete previz toolset. So the method itself is far from new, but visual capabilities are far superior to what was used a decade ago. Plus in case of Midichlorian, they probably borrowed models from EA, since they worked on SW games.

Reeves can use Rocksteady models or whatever. :)

C Prometheus likes this.
  4. KGBANE Registered

Great find! But when you mention the unreal engine I thought you was talking about an video game lol

Schlosser85, Iceman and Spider-Aziz like this.
  5. Iceman Daffy Duck Vs The Joker

Yeah, I thought it was the video game engine. This looks impressive though and can’t go too wrong if it was used on The Mandalorian.

KGBANE and Jig96v like this.
  6. SkullDevil The White Portuguese

Gotham could look absolutely breathtaking with these effects, especially with them using Glasgow as basis.

Iceman likes this.
  7. KGBANE Registered

I know! I think we are in for nice treat because The Mandalorrian looks fantastic! :yay::up::up:

Iceman likes this.
  8. Sawyer High King

9. Sawyer High King

Looks like the new Disney Gallery episode on The Mandalorian centers on this tech. Looking forward to that deep dive and what the directors/actors/crew have to say about it.

Iceman likes this.
  10. Iceman Daffy Duck Vs The Joker

Yeah we saw that in the gaming threads a while back. All this makes me really excited for the future of gaming, films and TV, and it can definitely be put to good use in The Batman.