The Villains of Ant-Man Thread

Discussion in 'Ant-Man' started by BatsDC, Jul 18, 2012.

1. TheVision Sharp Dressed Man

I grew up watching MI Tv show reruns but still love DePalma's Mission Impossible and didnt mind Jim being a villain in it at all. It made it that much more personal and hurtful. I think if Hank was a similar kind of figure in Ant Man, I wouldnt mind because Im not precious about that character. Its all about how its set up/executed for me.

2. Mysteryman Registered

3. Dark Raven The Gal from Themyscira

I hated Jim being the villain just to make way for some new character with whom I had no affinity. That's like making Tony Stark the villain and making some new character the hero. You might not have any affinity for Pym but there are many who do and would not take kindly to him turning his back on his heroism just because he became disillusioned with doing good.

And for those wondering why there's talk about Pym as villain, well that's what he was first reported as before that was corrected.

4. TheVision Sharp Dressed Man

^^ Well thats where we differ I guess. I was never that precious about Jim Phelps. I feel that adaptations are allowed to mess with the originals structure/subject matter/characters as long as its intriguing.

That said, Id prefer that Hank Pym be the good guy/mentor in this film.

#429 TheVision, Jun 22, 2014
    Last edited: Jun 22, 2014
  5. Dark Raven The Gal from Themyscira

So you wouldn't have minded Tony Stark as the villain in Iron Man if you had no affinity towards him, which you might not have had.

6. TheVision Sharp Dressed Man

Yes I would have minded that actually.

I think now that the MCU is established they can switch more things around such as Hank Pyms age etc. It still has to make sense as part of the basic Marvel history though.

7. HarryOsborn Registered

Pym not becoming giant man is like Peter Parker not becoming spider-man or dick Grayson becoming nightwing instead of robin. It's who he was and who he's known for. Hank Pym is no less mainstream than Hawkeye, black widow, quicksilver, or scarlet witch. People just seem to think he's a joke because he was ant man for a few issues.

8. mkilban2 family1stclothingco.com

In the Earths Mightiest Heroes TV show didn't Hank go kinda nuts and become yellowJacket and was a sort of antagonist for a bit until he was reeled back in and became good again? I wouldn't be opposed to something done like that, but with them putting a young hank in thw suit due to some type of chaos involving Ultron.

I still have a strong feeling we'll find out Hank is the key factor in the creation of Ultron. Maybe Tony will give him a body, but Hank will be the reason he's even around. and if we don't directly see that in AoU we will certainly see it here. At the least we're going to have a Pym name drop in AoU.

It's too early for me to react to anything yet, but no matter how far or close they stay to the comics I have confidence this will not only be a great movie but hold serious weight in the entire MCU from the past to the future outings. I feel AntMan is going to have a very strong tie to everything that's happened in the MCU. Maybe he wasnt on the direct team in 1&2 but I think we'll see he was more involved with its creation than we know of at the moment.

9. cherokeesam SHIELD Director Coulson

I definitely don't think "Ant-Man" is going to be a (Halle Berry) "Catwoman" or a "Green Lantern" or "Ghost Rider" clunker, by any means. You've got Michael Douglas and Paul Rudd in the leads, you've got a solid script and concept years in the making by a very talented writer-director duo, and now you've got Marvel stepping in to make sure there's a lot more respect for canon than the original drafts. Plus, by all counts, they're making an absolutely spot-on adaptation of Scott Lang's story....*no* Marvelphile can argue with that much.

It's just the adaptation of Hank Pym and Janet Van Dyne (*still* no indication that she exists in this film, or the MCU, at all) that has us Avenger comic-purists baffled, hesitant, or just plain outraged. That's what I'm hoping Feige/Marvel Studios is fixing with recent rewrites. An Avengers roster without Giant-Man and Wasp is absolutely borked --- even moreso if Hank and Janet turn up elsewhere in the MCU as INOs with absolutely no visible Avenger connections at all.

10. mkilban2 family1stclothingco.com

Yeah I get where you and many others are coming from for certain Sam, I hope they make the movies to the point where long time fans of any character are happy. But all i need on my end is a good film, with interesting character, and a story that connects to and enhances the exisiting and future MCU. Any comic accuracy is only a bonus, all i need are the films to work in the existing universe if that makes sense.

If the Ant Man they put out is "INO" but works splendidly within the universe I'll come out a happy camper overall, but i can see how that exact scenario could make many turn their noses up at Marvel and how its managing the properties.

11. KRYPTON INC. Incorporated Kryptonian

What EMH did was inspired by all the history of the character from the source material. No more, no less.

12. mkilban2 family1stclothingco.com

What does that mean in relation to my post? Lol I'm confused.

13. KRYPTON INC. Incorporated Kryptonian

I was pointing out that what was done in EMH was not something they came up with out of thin air but was directly inspired by the history the character has had in the source material.

14. mkilban2 family1stclothingco.com

Ah I see, so a similar scenario here (adapted differently of course) wouldn't be so insane then lol.

15. TheVision Sharp Dressed Man

Im thinking Evangeline Lilly is Hank and Janets daughter who Scott falls in love with making it even more of a family thing. Maybe she becomes the new Wasp along with Scott becoming the new AM.

16. Dark Raven The Gal from Themyscira

I don't like the idea of Janet Van Dyne being bypassed as the Wasp either. She is such a key Avenger and even led the team before.

17. TheVision Sharp Dressed Man

^^ Janet could be the first Wasp still in flashbacks. I dont think if theres a new Wasp she'll be leading The MCU Avengers though.

18. chamber-music Infinity Ammo

I would prefer if Wasp is in the film that she isn't Pym's daughter. Janet could just be a friend Hank looks out for as he was a colleague or friend of her fathers.

19. MbJ Registered

Wasn't it possibly rumored that Claudia Kim's character in Age of Ultron might be Jan? She's a scientist and "Friend of Tony Stark's" and Whedon wanted to introduce Jan without Hank in the first Avengers movie anyway.

No offense, but according to whom exactly? The first movie made over a billion dollars and rave reviews without Giant-Man, and the sequel will likely do extremely well too, again, without Giant-Man.

20. Dr. Evil Registered

21. metaphysician Not a Side-Kick

The usage of the terms "Hank Pym" and "iconic" in the same sentence tends to make me roll my eyes, and this is certainly a good example of why. No, the Avengers and the MCU *don't* need Hank Pym.

22. JJ01 Registered

You don't get it, do you? Wright called DIBS on Pym for his movie. It's not that they didn't want to use him or anything. If that's the case, they could have written him out of Ant-Man and focus solely on Lang. By your logic of ''well, the movie made a billion dollars without him'', then what's the point of introducing any character other than the ones from Avengers 1? It's a cinematic UNIVERSE, and that's the whole point and appeal of it. Why would anyone want to watch Avengers/IM/Thor/Cap movies forever?

I thank god this is just your opinion, as Marvel disagrees with you. :funny:

23. Mike Murdock Registered

Marvel doesn't disagree with him. They think it's nice to have Hank Pym, but that's not the same as saying they "need" him.

24. JJ01 Registered

If Marvel does not need Pym, then they wouldn't waste time casting him and they would have written him out of the movie, focusing solely on Lang, not making a movie where BOTH save the world, as previously described. Douglas himself mentioned future appearances and Feige called Ant-Man a key character/avenger. And by that, he means both, even though Lang has never been a key avenger. They don't have the rights for their other popular properties, I'd say they need the characters they have the rights to more than you think. It's almost as if people had a certain dislike for the character. :whatever:

25. Mike Murdock Registered

Marvel wants Pym because they think there's potential for an interesting story. If that story wasn't there, they wouldn't need him and they'd go with a different character. My only objection is to the word "need." I think Marvel needed Iron Man because he was their best chance of a successful movie with the characters they had (since they didn't have Spider-Man or the Fantastic Four). I'm not convinced any other one character was a necessity. I think they could have been replaced with another character under the right circumstances. Maybe Captain America, given how iconic he is and how he's usually seen as the leader of the Avengers. Maybe Nick Fury, although I wasn't really thinking about him since he isn't headlining a movie, but I don't think any character is a necessity.