The Virtual Reality Thread: Bye, Bye Real Life

Tron Bonne

All Ass, No Sass
Reaction score
I don't have a huge amount of interest in VR as it stands right now, but I figure it might be time to make a thread like this since the Oculus Rift has been finally put on the market and is expected to ship as early as March. The main thing now is that people seemed surprised at the price. Many were expecting a high price point, but not quite as high as the $599.99 that it as been unveiled as.

https://shop.oculus.com/en-us/cart/

Either way, looks like VR is close to being here on a potentially large scale. Next step in gaming, or a gimmick bound to sink?

dark-science-fiction-immersive-virtual-reality-junkie-image-source-unknown.jpg

Well thats a depressing way to christen this new VR thread LL! :argh: :p

But it's the FUTURE! :p

The only "VR" headset I'm remotely interested in is HoloLens cause it has real world uses other than gaming or simulation.

Honestly i can't wait for the day scientists invent a way to allow the user to experience full body VR, where all 5 of your senses can be replicated in game through human control, also known as the 'Sword Art Online' effect.

That is the end game we should all strive towards people. :hmr:

.hack//Sign >>>> Sword Art Online. :o

Obviously, as with any new piece of tech, it's going to be quite pricey at first. But it will eventually level out and hit a sweet spot, and when it does...

fhLxR7i.jpg

Yeah with a price point of that range im not considering to get an oculus right now, i mean $600 i can get a good GPU for that price.

Obviously, as with any new piece of tech, it's going to be quite pricey at first. But it will eventually level out and hit a sweet spot, and when it does...

fhLxR7i.jpg

Eh, I'm not as convinced. There has been points were people have been convinced 3D was the next step in entertainment, but we've seen how that's turned out on multiple occasions. I could see it going down a similar route, but only time will tell of course.

Honestly i can't wait for the day scientists invent a way to allow the user to experience full body VR, where all 5 of your senses can be replicated in game through human control, also known as the 'Sword Art Online' effect.

That is the end game we should all strive towards people. :hmr:
all 5? isk about that, there's alot of things in Games I am not sure I ever want to smell...

Eh, I'm not as convinced. There has been points were people have been convinced 3D was the next step in entertainment, but we've seen how that's turned out on multiple occasions. I could see it going down a similar route, but only time will tell of course.

A couple of things. First, I don't remember anyone getting excited about 3D. I feel like almost everyone has been super cynical and dismissive about that since the beginning. Second, the small percentage of people who get motion sick from VR notwithstanding, I've literally not heard a single negative thing about it.

Don't get me wrong though, I think it's totally possible if not likely that VR could be a failure. I just don't think it will be because the hardware doesn't deliver. It will be because the games suck, or because of lack of public interest.

all 5? isk about that, there's alot of things in Games I am not sure I ever want to smell...

Well me personally, i would love to smell sweet flavors of glory of a mighty battle.

I for one am interested but not at that price, maybe if it ever gets to at least $350

If a star wars or superhero game would be made for it, I'd likely get very addicted and then it really would be good bye to the real world.

Last edited:
A couple of things. First, I don't remember anyone getting excited about 3D. I feel like almost everyone has been super cynical and dismissive about that since the beginning. Second, the small percentage of people who get motion sick from VR notwithstanding, I've literally not heard a single negative thing about it.

Don't get me wrong though, I think it's totally possible if not likely that VR could be a failure. I just don't think it will be because the hardware doesn't deliver. It will be because the games suck, or because of lack of public interest.

I think this go around people were a lot more cynical towards it, but there was still a lot of companies and critics who pushed it as the next big step as entertainment.

I for one am interested but not at that price, maybe if it ever gets to at least $350

well I know this the science community want this to happen . the medical community is already doing their one stuff with virtual reality and I'm sure they will use certain games to practice with it. people that do review of games are split and want to see if we'll get good game and good price in anything from it.

And you spoke for the important end of us all. The consumer/costomore who is cautiously interested, but want it at an affordable price befor jumping all in.

And the latter is what will really make or break this thing over all. is it affordable to the customer.

oh this was put up as well

Industry reacts to Oculus price point: "they'll be killing themselves to get the price down as soon as possible"

11 hours ago Comments 7

2016 is shaping up to be an absolutely crucial year for virtual reality, and already we're starting to get a clear idea of who the major players...
Read more

Also with

Palmer Luckey: “I handled the messaging poorly” on Oculus Rift pricing

10 hours agoComments 6
Yesterday, it was announced that an Oculus Rift virtual reality headset will set you back a rather lofty $599/£499. While the industry reacts to...
Read more

http://www.pcgamesn.com/palmer-luckey-i-handled-the-messaging-poorly-on-oculus-rift-pricing#comments

source: PCGamesN

Last edited:
Im not sure where I stand on VR. I mean iv seen some really cool demos with it, but nothing that really sold me. I guess cautious optimism would be a good way to describe my stance?

Either way, looks like VR is close to being here on a potentially large scale. Next step in gaming, or a gimmick bound to sink?

The next step, period. AR and VR will not be confined to gaming, nor will gaming be the definitive use of the technology. Communication, education, medicine, and more are industries that will be using AR/VR in amazing ways. AR/VR is already a billion (plus) dollar industry, and is expected to only grow even more in the next few years and be completely common commercially by 2020.

That is true, multiple applications on various industries does ensure its longevity, usage, importance, and investment to the VR/AR industry.

AR and VR will not be confined to gaming, nor will gaming be the definitive use of the technology. Communication, education, medicine, and more are industries that will be using AR/VR in amazing ways.

This may be true, but since we're on a video game forum, the question is primarily about gaming obviously. I can see how AR/VR can have a lot of applications in many fields, but I don't think that it means it'll be a guaranteed hit on the commercial level.

I'm still not sold on these new VR headsets for gaming. Yeah I've tried out some demos at the conventions, but nothing has really convinced me that they can make some nice, full games out of them I'd want to keep playing over and over again.

For starters, I don't want to control what's happening on screen with my head movements.

Not to mention, the price tag on the Oculus is pretty insane.

Also what happened to PlayStation move again?

This may be true, but since we're on a video game forum, the question is primarily about gaming obviously. I can see how AR/VR can have a lot of applications in many fields, but I don't think that it means it'll be a guaranteed hit on the commercial level.
yeah well I think what spider who was saying is that alot of people want and are trying to make VR and Ar work in all field of work possible. the hunger for it is really great.

which is what I stated earlier in my quote to TX before him and they seem really determined in all those fields of work exploring it. and it's been happening for a while with the medical side which the bio ware doc's that created the company came from and help to create better hear surgery operations for (hearts which save my dad afews years back )and from what shown last night in in nation news in my area where Vr is doing.

but on the commercial side as you said where VR is headed I think it'll last the same way normal video gaming has been on our consoles. but only if the price comes down which where most gamers are on the fence about currently as I said and as long as we don't have large events where they end up like the kenect which was a large failure for micro soft and as vile just meant with sony and the move which went out with a weird wimper or just a weird ripoff of what Nintendo did with the motion control area.

it all depends on what's done on the games and how much work is put into them they have to be fun to play for the most part and they also have have great quality over in terms of story, and fallowing those it the usual icing of graphic's music etc to round all out. and no weird stuff like what was done infamous second son where they could have done more game was but fell short.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MartyMcFly1985
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"