The Walking Dead The Walking Dead Season 3 Episode 16 "Welcome to the Tombs" Discussion Thread

I am fine with the show taking its own direction but I like my adaptions to not veer so far from original material. Killing Shane in S2 instead of 1? Cool. Lori dieing and baby surviing? cool. Other stuff....no me gusta.

Only thing that really comes out of Andreas death is that she takes place of Loris death for making everone truley hate the gov. and making sure his death is nice and painful.

I was partially surprised that the Govenor apparently didn't torture Andrea at all. Just kind've. . . moved her into a chair and took the gag off since last time. He just ain't as vicious as his counterpart.
Hey! The awesome swat armour! Why weren't they wearing those at any other point?
Carl shooting the kid offscreen took the punch out of things. I get they don't want to show a kid shooting an older kid, but I just really feel the impact wasn't there. I felt his reasons for doing it sounded valid though, and I'm happy with the direction they're taking his character.
The Governor just shooting his people came across as kind of forced. But then again, his people were the dumbest group since Rick's entourage. They show up for war, and as soon as there's return fire, they ran. What did they think it would be like?
The amount of times people have had the Governor in their sights, and not shot, or missed, or what have you, is just dumb. Everyone had a gun, and no one shot him, include the guy that was going to and just. . . stood there until he got shot. Woodbury people are lucky they managed to survive long enough to even make it to the beginning of the zombie apocalypse.
And once again, at the end of the season they give us hope that the next season will be better. Last year it was the tease of the prison and Michonne, and this year they just killed off Andrea, while continuing to pretend that we're supposed to like her. Wooo!

Last edited:
Well i loved all of this whole season until this episode. :/ I guess i was just expecting a big fight. Seemed like they were building up to that. Didnt really care about andrea dying. It wasnt a terrible episode. Just sort of a lame season finale

Ill be completely honest i thought the final episode was very disappointing. It looked and felt unfinished. I was left with the thought of "was that it?".

Am I the only one here who didn't get disappointed? I already had a feeling that the Governor won't get killed in this season (well actually someone said that the Governor will last until season 4) so yeah. Woodbury is still intact he can find new people/recruits and instead of building a community he'll build an army to attack the prison one last time.

Just my two cents :)

I think alot of my disappoint came from how they advertised it. WIth the "27 deaths" and what not it felt like it was going to be a lot more action oriented.

Why didnt they give a reason for the audience to come back to the series next year?

I really enjoyed the finale. They've always said that the Woodbury/Prison arc will last over 2 seasons and the fact that they've changed it up now has gotten me really intrigued. Sure it'd be great to see the comic adapted page of page but now I have no idea what's coming next season and that has made me excited for Season 4.

I was a bit disappointed by this episode.

While Andrea has never been my favourite character, I thought that her death at the hands of zombie Milton was out of character. If nothing else, Andrea had generally been shown (at least recently) to be an effective zombie killer. While she may have been weak and possibly injured as a result of being the Governor's prisoner, I still find it hard to believe that she wasn't able to prevent herself from being bitten.

And the fact that Andrea decided to engage in chit-chat with Milton instead of solely focusing on picking up the pliers/wire cutters was very frustrating. Given Andrea's experience with watching the animation process, I highly doubt that she would choose to have a heart-to-heart with Milton instead of concentrating on picking up those pliers (or trying to remove the arms from the chair).

It was also disappointing that Andrea never had a chance to evolve into someone a little closer to her comic book counterpart.

The Governor's attack was also disappointing. I can kind of understand why the vast majority of the Governor's people ran - they're not soldiers. But, why did the Governor and his men retreat? They had some kind of rocket launcher! Surely that would have taken out Maggie and Glenn who appeared to be the only ones firing on the Governor (even though Michonne, Rick, Daryl and Carol were somewhere in the prison, presumably setting off the flares and the alarms). And Rick's plan seemed odd as well. Wouldn't it have made more sense to lock the Governor and his "army" in the tombs with the zombies? Shoot out the tyres on their vehicles so that they couldn't escape? I guess my main disappointment is due to the fact that the Governor will return. I have no further interest in his character and I don't want to see any more episodes with everyone in the prison sitting around wondering when they're going to be attacked by the Governor.

I'm also a little disappointed by Rick's decision making. He ignores someone on the side of the road when visiting his home town, but decides to recruit a bus full of old people and children? I sure hope that bus was also full of all the food, medicine, water and weapons from Woodbury as well as the bunch of mouths to feed. I understand that his character is meant to be developing from a softie to a bad ass and back to a softie again, especially given Carl's character development, but it still seems a little odd.

I do hope that season four isn't another season of prison vs. Governor.

P.S. I forgot to mention that I had no issue with Carl's actions. Hershel and Carl both told the teenager to DROP his gun. Instead of dropping it, he held onto it and slowly kept moving toward Carl. To me, it seemed as though the teenager's actions could have easily been interpreted as an attempt to attack Carl (i.e. knock the gun from his hand) and then kill Hershel. Hershel's "warning" to Rick seemed out of place to me. Especially when Carl had the sole responsibility of protecting the one-legged old man, the untrained young girl and his baby sister.

Last edited:
I loved it!!!

They are setting up Carl to be the next villain next season lol

It was okay, not great by any means.

I suppose the Governor's army bottling it makes sense in a way. Bar his loyal henchmen, they are in no way battle hardened, certainly not in comparison to Rick's group. They were coaxed into a cramped dark area full of zombies and were greeted with gun fire on their exit so it's understandable that they crapped their pants and ran away.

What happened made sense, it's just unfortunate that it didn't translate into anything more exciting.

I'm fine with the lack of casualties on Rick's side as when you think about it, they've lost more than their fair share overall this season. T-Dog, Lori, Merle and now Andrea is more than enough from the core group in one season.

Having said that, I thought Andrea's demise was a tad disappointing. This is a woman who knows how to defend herself against Zombies, I mean if Glenn can survive a zombie attack tied to a chair then there's no reason why Andrea shouldn't have been able to do the same after getting free.

Anyway, Season 4 was nicely set up. Rick has stopped his own downward spiral but at the same time, it looks like Carl has been corrupted. His lecturing of Rick for not killing people when he had the chance was very like the Governor's mantra of you either kill or be killed at the start of the episode. It should certainly be an interesting dynamic between the two next season.

I was a bit disappointed by this episode.

While Andrea has never been my favourite character, I thought that her death at the hands of zombie Milton was out of character. If nothing else, Andrea had generally been shown (at least recently) to be an effective zombie killer. While she may have been weak and possibly injured as a result of being the Governor's prisoner, I still find it hard to believe that she wasn't able to prevent herself from being bitten.

And the fact that Andrea decided to engage in chit-chat with Milton instead of solely focusing on picking up the pliers/wire cutters was very frustrating. Given Andrea's experience with watching the animation process, I highly doubt that she would choose to have a heart-to-heart with Milton instead of concentrating on picking up those pliers (or trying to remove the arms from the chair).

It was also disappointing that Andrea never had a chance to evolve into someone a little closer to her comic book counterpart.

The Governor's attack was also disappointing. I can kind of understand why the vast majority of the Governor's people ran - they're not soldiers. But, why did the Governor and his men retreat? They had some kind of rocket launcher! Surely that would have taken out Maggie and Glenn who appeared to be the only ones firing on the Governor (even though Michonne, Rick, Daryl and Carol were somewhere in the prison, presumably setting off the flares and the alarms). And Rick's plan seemed odd as well. Wouldn't it have made more sense to lock the Governor and his "army" in the tombs with the zombies? Shoot out the tyres on their vehicles so that they couldn't escape? I guess my main disappointment is due to the fact that the Governor will return. I have no further interest in his character and I don't want to see any more episodes with everyone in the prison sitting around wondering when they're going to be attacked by the Governor.

I'm also a little disappointed by Rick's decision making. He ignores someone on the side of the road when visiting his home town, but decides to recruit a bus full of old people and children? I sure hope that bus was also full of all the food, medicine, water and weapons from Woodbury as well as the bunch of mouths to feed. I understand that his character is meant to be developing from a softie to a bad ass and back to a softie again, especially given Carl's character development, but it still seems a little odd.

I do hope that season four isn't another season of prison vs. Governor.

P.S. I forgot to mention that I had no issue with Carl's actions. Hershel and Carl both told the teenager to DROP his gun. Instead of dropping it, he held onto it and slowly kept moving toward Carl. To me, it seemed as though the teenager's actions could have easily been interpreted as an attempt to attack Carl (i.e. knock the gun from his hand) and then kill Hershel. Hershel's "warning" to Rick seemed out of place to me. Especially when Carl had the sole responsibility of protecting the one-legged old man, the untrained young girl and his baby sister.

Agree about Carl, the kid from The Governor's group was stalling in an attempt to knock the gun from Carl's hand or use Carl as a sheild to get Hershel to drop his gun, it was in his eyes and Carl saw it.

The problem I have is why didn't they stay in Woodsbury? It's better equipped than the prison.

I'm guessing AMC didn't want to shell out money to shutdown a small town again though it makes the most sense to live there instead of a prison. Even though they own The Walking Dead TV series and are hauling in huge amounts of money with the show and cheapest talk show out there, Talking Dead which also scores big ratings.

I'd actually say the Governor surviving is the one redeeming quality of the finale. His character may have devolved into a cartoonish villain by the end of the season, but Morrissey plays him as a force of nature and every scene he is in, he absolutely steals. The writers need to be very careful as to how they use him (don't want him to just keep popping up and being defeated, it would make the character impotent)....but I'm excited for one more arc with him.

I think he's already there. He has two men left and drove away. How is he a threat now? He's impotent. I was thinking maybe he would somehow round up a herd and swarm the prison and leave it with a cliffhanger. How does he acquire more men to fight with him? He's a joke now. He was awesome in these last batch of episodes but now they whatever they do won't be satisfying.

Also Martinez doesn't pop him off after what he did? Sure I'll get in the truck with you after you killed 20+ people.

There is no incentive to watch next season. They finally were producing consistently good shows in the first half, and I enjoyed the episodes in the last half of this break but you don't end a season of television like that. AMC/Glen Mazzara - not sure who, left the show a mess and now Gimple has to clean it up. Another season of the prison, with no Woodbury - yeah this is what I want to see. :whatever:
Back on the road, dealing with cannibals for 4 episodes and introducing some new characters and ending up in Alexandria for the midseason finale next year is what I would've liked to have seen.

Last edited:
I'd like to see aliens join Rick's group and help him take out walkers. Doesn't mean the product we got was bad by any means. You have no incentive to watch next season, fine, don't watch. Personally, I'm looking forward to see what happens with Carl now and the Woodbury refugees, plus what role The Governor still has to play.

Carl graduated from not staying in the house shooting anyone who crosses him :word:

The Governor pulled a Joker in the TDK and killed his own side.

David Morrissey's look is now 100% Nick Fury. Be funny to see him rocking a handlebar moustache

I figured the Governor would live to kill another day seeing as Morrissey signed for two seasons.

When Carol tells you to murder your crazy boyfriend in his sleep you murder your crazy boyfriend in your sleep.

Martinez and Bowman really didn't want to get in the truck with the governor :funny:.

Last edited:
I'd like to see aliens join Rick's group and help him take out walkers. Doesn't mean the product we got was bad by any means. You have no incentive to watch next season, fine, don't watch. Personally, I'm looking forward to see what happens with Carl now and the Woodbury refugees, plus what role The Governor still has to play.

I very well may not watch it. Another 16 episodes of dragging out the Governor/Prison arc now that he's is a series regular? That seems like a lofty task to do. To top the best episodes this season by now having a evil character who is down to two minions? The threat was he was evil but also had a small army who outnumbered the Prison. He had a whole town with him, but Merle and The Governor basically took away any threat with all the shooting in the last two weeks. Now the prison outnumbers the Governor by a laughable amount.

People were already annoyed with the last half of the season delaying the confrontation between Woodbury and the Prison. Good luck to them trying to keep people interested now over 16 episodes. But you never know the ratings could grow for season four as more people catch up and replace those that dropped the show. To me the ending put them in a corner whereas if the Governor died and the prison was no longer safe and they had to flee - that gives the writers much more freedom, more attractive to watch.

For a guy in such a blind rage it doesn't make sense for him to retreat. I have no problem with Andrea dying, but leaving the Governor out there as a small threat seems silly. He would've been cemented as a great TV villain with a death last night, now he's going to be some cartoon villain who wants to kill Michonne each week. "I'll get you next time, NEXT TIME!"

Reaction everywhere seems split, which will only cause the writing team to second guess and debate what to do next. They already did a bunch of reshoots for season three.

Btw you guys see the new trailer for the original drama show coming to AMC with Mark Strong and....MORGAN!...and....GALE!

Low Winter Sun

Its strange that Mark Strong is replaying his character in the remake of original Low Winter Sun
[YT]PNECc11I6v0[/YT]

Strong swapping a Scottish accent for an American one.

Lennie James (Morgan) was amazing in BBC mini series Line Of Duty last year. It was the highest rated BBC2 drama show of the last ten years.

[YT]-1auPkEy87g[/YT]

In terms of "how is the Governor still a threat with only two guys" thing, I think it's been shown that he can be a very charismatic speaker, so I don't think it's out of the realm of possibility that he could form a new following.

In terms of "how is the Governor still a threat with only two guys" thing, I think it's been shown that he can be a very charismatic speaker, so I don't think it's out of the realm of possibility that he could form a new following.

And put together a more dangerous group. Milton asked him at the beginning of the show what his daughter would think of him now, and the Governor said she'd be afraid of him, "but if I'd been this way from the beginning, she'd still be alive," which means his days of community and barbecues are over. He learned his mistake when he thought that group would take the prison. The next group he puts together won't run.

This was originally gonna be the scene for Andrea (that Mazzara wrote), she doesn't get freed and walker Milton goes after her.

cpOoEu5.gif
TVhihQU.gif

tM7vNYt.gif
8LsYJqh.gif

Wow. Where was that clip from?

I noticed in the photo of zombie Milton that they showed on Talking Dead last night showed him with his glasses, which he wasn't wearing in the episode. Guess we know that there was another scene now.

I wish we'd actually seen the Andrea fight.

I very well may not watch it. Another 16 episodes of dragging out the Governor/Prison arc now that he's is a series regular? That seems like a lofty task to do. To top the best episodes this season by now having a evil character who is down to two minions? The threat was he was evil but also had a small army who outnumbered the Prison. He had a whole town with him, but Merle and The Governor basically took away any threat with all the shooting in the last two weeks. Now the prison outnumbers the Governor by a laughable amount.

People were already annoyed with the last half of the season delaying the confrontation between Woodbury and the Prison. Good luck to them trying to keep people interested now over 16 episodes. But you never know the ratings could grow for season four as more people catch up and replace those that dropped the show. To me the ending put them in a corner whereas if the Governor died and the prison was no longer safe and they had to flee - that gives the writers much more freedom, more attractive to watch.

For a guy in such a blind rage it doesn't make sense for him to retreat. I have no problem with Andrea dying, but leaving the Governor out there as a small threat seems silly. He would've been cemented as a great TV villain with a death last night, now he's going to be some cartoon villain who wants to kill Michonne each week. "I'll get you next time, NEXT TIME!"

Reaction everywhere seems split, which will only cause the writing team to second guess and debate what to do next. They already did a bunch of reshoots for season three.

You're making a lot of assumptions.

People die at the drop of a hat on this show. We have no idea at this point how much of Season 4 The Governor will even be in.

-More action would have been nice

-Although Carl has progressed and it's interesting that he's becoming a little Shane or Govenor..He's also now even more annoying than in S2,He was ok in the beginning of S3 But can't stand him since he wanted to go on a run by himself,So I hope he dies in S4 or 5

-I've hated Andrea since the first episode of S2 and so I'm thrilled she's finally dead But I thought she was alright in this episode and her final moments with Michone&the group was nice

-I'm proud of Glenn,I feel he's progressed very nicely

-I'm glad the Govenor lived and is in full cruel mode,He should be closer to his comic counterpart&a much more(wasen't bad this season though)bad ass villain to make people love to hate him

A lot of stuff could have been handled better in the finale&season in general But I think the finale was good overall and the show is still my favorite current TV show,I wish it'd finally get closer to the books as I am a reader of them But I still think the show is f'n awesome on it's own!

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vortep88
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"